Johnny Jolly

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the end results of this either.
I hope he gets out soon and becomes clean and sober.
And where he goes I hope he ends up in a place with a lot of Packers fans or at least football fans who will respect him.

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How old is he? Chances are, he won't spend the entire 6 years in prison. He could get out early for good behavior and/or prison over-crowding. He could spend as little as two years in prison, maybe less, then get released on parole. He could work a deal to live in GB and play for the team. Lotsa IFs there but it could happen.

I heard on the news he'd be up for parole in 14 months.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for ANY of these players that get in trouble, regardless whom they played for. They are adults, they should make the right decisions.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After two more busts, waiting for his trial for the first one, I just can't feel sorry for him.
One fallback, maybe. Two, nope.
He got caught twice. He said he was using it every day. At least that was the quote I read - could be out of context.

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also saw on that segment that apparently the custom is to mix cough syrup, some other drug I don't remember, Sprite and gummi bears (for taste and color, lol) They have some crazy name for it too, don't remember that either. What a concoction. I'd be more worried about the effect all the sugar was having on my teeth than anything the codeine might be doing. :eek:

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, some of you are unbelievable, he DESERVED 6 years in prison for having a problem? for drinking cough syrup? This is ridiculous!! Lindsay Lohan violates her probation twice a week and gets 3 hours in jail, maybe because she's a white female that didn't spend all her money on cough syrup and could afford a good attorney???? Probably..

Of course he was already in trouble for it and kept doing it, he is an ADDICT! Do you not understand what an addict is?? Have you ever lived it? The guy isn't out selling crack on school grounds, he is feeding his addiction to cough syrup. 6 years???? He needs to appeal, and appeal asap. If I were rich I would get him a real attorney and help him. This isn't how you help an addict, this is how you TURN an addict INTO a criminal!

I know, as well as probably most of you that are saying he deserves 6 years (by the way, I have some real choice words for you that I'm refraining from saying), that I personally have done much worse things in my life than drink cough syrup, and I don't deserve 6 years in prison. He needed help, and now what do you think he's going to do when he gets out and has nothing and nobody to turn to? I have a good guess what is going to happen. The judicial system is a JOKE! Now taxpayers get to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to keep this man locked up for drinking cough syrup, when they could have spent a fraction of that to ensure he gets the proper help that he admitted he needed. The 1st step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, which after all these years he finally did. This is ridiculous..

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, some of you are unbelievable, he DESERVED 6 years in prison for having a problem? for drinking cough syrup? This is ridiculous!! Lindsay Lohan violates her probation twice a week and gets 3 hours in jail, maybe because she's a white female that didn't spend all her money on cough syrup and could afford a good attorney???? Probably..

Of course he was already in trouble for it and kept doing it, he is an ADDICT! Do you not understand what an addict is?? Have you ever lived it? The guy isn't out selling crack on school grounds, he is feeding his addiction to cough syrup. 6 years???? He needs to appeal, and appeal asap. If I were rich I would get him a real attorney and help him. This isn't how you help an addict, this is how you TURN an addict INTO a criminal!

I know, as well as probably most of you that are saying he deserves 6 years (by the way, I have some real choice words for you that I'm refraining from saying), that I personally have done much worse things in my life than drink cough syrup, and I don't deserve 6 years in prison. He needed help, and now what do you think he's going to do when he gets out and has nothing and nobody to turn to? I have a good guess what is going to happen. The judicial system is a JOKE! Now taxpayers get to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to keep this man locked up for drinking cough syrup, when they could have spent a fraction of that to ensure he gets the proper help that he admitted he needed. The 1st step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, which after all these years he finally did. This is ridiculous..
Right on the money!

I'm not sure if it was actually cough syrup. Could there be other ways of getting codene? Like Rx pills?
But if it was just cough syrup, then what in the hell is illegal about that? I can buy the stuff without showing an ID at our nearby Walgreens.
And I can abuse my body with all the booze I want to buy and never get arrested if I just stay home all the time.
So what exactly was Johnny doing that got him arrested?

The other thing too is that 2 years in the NFL is way too short to build up any kind of savings.
And depending on what was in his contract he may not get all the money that he would have if he had played longer.
So not only is he going to be an ex prisoner when he gets out, he is also going to probably be broke and jobless.
One doesn't have to feel sorry for him. It's your feelings and your right to feel for him however you want to.
But to claim he deserved it, is just wrong. Especially if he wasn't hurting anyone else.
Mark Chmura? Yeah. That guy deserves to be hated.
Johnny Jolly? Not at all.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is prescription cough syrup with codeine in it with some stuff added for flavor.

And, you are right, he will get out broke, jobless, and with a felony on his record that will stop him from ever getting a decent job. Yes, he brought it upon himself, and did deserve some sort of repercussion, but nowhere near 6 years in prison. I can go on all night listing people that deserved worse than 6 years in prison and instead got less or no jail time. This isn't the movies or a TV show, this is a real man who's real life is officially ruined when he was calling out for help.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Donte Stallworth drives drunk and kills a man. Gets 30 days
Ben Roethlisberger Rapes a Woman. Gets a 4 game suspension
Jolly gets busted a few times for some cough syrup. Gets 6 Years

Something isn't right here.

Addiction is serious stuff. He needs rehabilitation, not hard time in the slammer. It'll just make it worse

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Purple Drank?

yes, that's it, thanks. It sounds atrocious. I can't stand cough syrup. :confused:

the piece was also talking about how his mother was a crack addict who is now 20 years sober and just heartbroken about her son. He went to Texas A&M, where my husband went. I really hope he can get his act together- I'm pulling for him!

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly is a phenomenal waste of talent and potential. I wanted to fill sorry for the guy but all i see was he repeatedly brought it on himself. I know addiction is a disease and can consume people i have a few family members who have fought addiction (2 failed 1 got his life back in order) and i would say to him what i was said to them you did this to yourself people were there to support you and guide you on the path and everytime you jumped off. Its sad but he won't be getting any sympathy from me

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Donte Stallworth drives drunk and kills a man. Gets 30 days
Ben Roethlisberger Rapes a Woman. Gets a 4 game suspension
Jolly gets busted a few times for some cough syrup. Gets 6 Years

Something isn't right here.

Addiction is serious stuff. He needs rehabilitation, not hard time in the slammer. It'll just make it worse
Donte Stallworth hits a man crossing a 6 lane divided road, not in the crosswalk by in the middle of the road. On top of his 30 days he got 1,000 hours of community service, 2 years of house arrest, 8 year of probation and permanently lost his drivers license. Was also suspended by the NFL for one year. He could have fought the charges and more than likely beat them. He choose not to. He also made a financial settlement with the mans family instead of waiting for them to sue him. The video backed up what Stallworth told the police.

Big Ben. Yup, he was convicted of ****. No wait, he was never charged with ****. He was accused of ****. Gets 4 game suspension

Johnny Jolly. Arrested 3 times with codeine. At least twice with 600 grams or more. Codeine. Possession of the drug without a prescription in the US is considered a felony. Depending on the potency, which we do not know what it was, if can be a schedule II narcotic, along the lines of Cocaine, ***** and Methadone. At least it is a schedule III. But yeah, it's just cough syrup. And morphine is just a pain killer. Oh, yeah, he has two more criminal cases pending. This is a result of his first arrest and the plea deal he made for it in April of 2011. This does not include his March 2011(another 600 grams) or his October 2011 arrest.

Addiction is serious stuff. Only problem is, until the person who is addicted makes up his/her mind to get help, nothing anyone does will help. Until Jolly decides he wants help, he won't get help.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not planning on whipping up a batch of purple stank, now are you FF?
Of course not. LOL

Raptor pointed out:
Possession of the drug (Codeine) without a prescription in the US is considered a felony.
And others have pointed out that codeine is an ingredient in cough syrup.
I've never heard of needing an Rx to buy cough syrup.
So I'm just trying to get how it could have been gotten. Ya get it?

No, I don't need to whip up a batch of purple stank. The Packers did that for me/us on Mon night.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Codeine is an ingredient in prescription cough syrup. Not over the counter cough syrup. Tell you what, walk into your local drug store and ask for cough syrup with codeine in it and see what they say.

The only way to get it without a prescription is by illegal methods.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Codeine is an ingredient in prescription cough syrup. Not over the counter cough syrup. Tell you what, walk into your local drug store and ask for cough syrup with codeine in it and see what they say.

The only way to get it without a prescription is by illegal methods.
OK
Thank you for the clarification.
As I wrote before, prescription cough syrup is news to me.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Make no mistake about it, Codeine is an addictive narcotic/pharma... I wish I could feel for him.

Complete and utter waste of god-given talent ... but, a grown man made his choice. Not once...not twice, but 3, count 'em THREE times.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make no mistake about it, Codeine is an addictive narcotic/pharma... I wish I could feel for him.

Complete and utter waste of god-given talent ... but, a grown man made his choice. Not once...not twice, but 3, count 'em THREE times.

No, he made the choice hundreds and hundreds of times, not 3 times. He got caught 3 times. He needs help, not 6 years in prison.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnny Jolly. Arrested 3 times with codeine. At least twice with 600 grams or more. Codeine. Possession of the drug without a prescription in the US is considered a felony. Depending on the potency, which we do not know what it was, if can be a schedule II narcotic, along the lines of Cocaine, ***** and Methadone. At least it is a schedule III. But yeah, it's just cough syrup. And morphine is just a pain killer. Oh, yeah, he has two more criminal cases pending. This is a result of his first arrest and the plea deal he made for it in April of 2011. This does not include his March 2011(another 600 grams) or his October 2011 arrest.

Addiction is serious stuff. Only problem is, until the person who is addicted makes up his/her mind to get help, nothing anyone does will help. Until Jolly decides he wants help, he won't get help.

Yes, it is just cough syrup, prescription cough syrup with codeine. I've yet to find a doctor that prescribes cocaine. Michael Irvin gets caught with a bunch of cocaine and later with crack pipes, etc. No jail time. Much worse drug, much worse offense, regardless of what the law says. The laws are inconsistent anyway. In West Virginia you can get caught with a $20 sack of weed and do fairly serious jail time, here in Ohio you can get caught with 199 grams (almost a half pound) and get a $100 citation and go home, and in California you can have it delivered because you told your doctor you can't sleep at night and gave him $100 for a weed card.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm finished talking about it. You're right, if he gets caught with purple drank again he deserves death by lethal injection instead of an intense rehab program to help him, sounds fair.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No, he made the choice hundreds and hundreds of times, not 3 times. He got caught 3 times. He needs help, not 6 years in prison.

I didn't mean to sound dismissive. I lost a nephew to an "accidental" overdose. Point being that he most assuredly needs help...but first, he needs a slap in the face with the carp of reality....and I think we both know that he won't see 6 years in prison and 200:1 says that when he gets out in roughly a year, he'll be right back at it because that is the life he knows...only now, he won't have the economic resources to actively pursue his recreational and/or addictive tendencies. Nobody can help Johnny Jolly until he decides to help himself. As any one of the millions of addicts sitting in prison and sleeping in shelters or under bridges...how does a society go about handling an issue of that size? Can millions of addicts, not just addicts with name recognition, be helped when they make adult, conscious decisions to keep taking a hit to the head with the stupid stick? He has to WANT to be helped and apparently, he didn't WANT to be helped on 2 different occasions.