Johnny Blood

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was attending the annual GK Chesterton Conference in St. Paul and ran into a doctor from Milwaukee who had played for Johnny Blood at St. John's who knew my brother!

I called the new JBlood and he came up the next day to see the guy and we had a great talk.

Apparently John McNally was a genius. When he was a student at St. John's hed show up a few days early to purchase all the texts. He would then commit them to memory and sell the books to the students when they arrived. He then served in WWII and played more semi-pro ball on his return.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a great experience. Johnny Blood, what a great name for a FB player. And he was one of the best and most colorful ones.
:pals:

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnny" Blood" McNally is a legend in Green Bay and was indeed a very intelligent person who very early in life graduated from High School and college at St John's College in Mn.. Johnny is a member of the Packer Hall of Fame located in the Atrium in lambeau Field. He was known a quite a character. He was a great Packer running back. One story has it as the Train carrying thePackers to a out of town game was pulling out of the Chicago& Northwestern RR station in Green Bay. A car came roaring up to train tracks just a short distance ahead of the train and blocked the tracks. The train engineer had to stop the train. Itwas Johnny "Blood"hopping out of the car and getting aboard the train carrying the Packers. He was late and didn't want to miss the out of town Packer game on Sunday. He was always pulling stunts and gave E.L. "Curly" Lambeau Founder, HC and GM of Packers gray hair. His intelligence and his great running skills always got him out of the doghouse, when he was with the Packers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gravedigger said:
I was attending the annual GK Chesterton Conference in St. Paul and ran into a doctor from Milwaukee who had played for Johnny Blood at St. John's who knew my brother!

I called the new JBlood and he came up the next day to see the guy and we had a great talk.

Apparently John McNally was a genius. When he was a student at St. John's hed show up a few days early to purchase all the texts. He would then commit them to memory and sell the books to the students when they arrived. He then served in WWII and played more semi-pro ball on his return.

Digger, it was nice to see him. He confirmed that everything you have read about McNally was pretty true. Johnny McNally is in the same mold as Brett, Bobby Layne, Paul Hornung, and all the other "characters" that you rarely see in today's corporate game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how I wish I could have seen Don Hutson play as he was before my time. Johnny Blood is another one I wished I could have seen play. An interesting character the way it sounded from a couple of the Packer history books I read years ago.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT wrote;

"...He was always pulling stunts and gave E.L. "Curly" Lambeau Founder, HC and GM of Packers gray hair. His intelligence and his great running skills always got him out of the doghouse, when he was with the Packers."

I see! He was the first and the original Max McGee!

Members online

Latest posts