John Jones taking a leave??????

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/05/26/1/

John Jones, president and COO of the Packers, has taken a leave of absence for personal reasons. Peter Platten, speaking on behalf of the organization's Executive Committee, made the announcement Saturday.

"We determined that it would be mutually beneficial for John to take a leave of absence while we continue our evaluation of the situation and collectively determine next steps," said Platten. "John will be on leave until the Executive Committee and John conclude that process."

"It's been a very difficult year but also a wonderful year in many respects," said Jones. "I need to step back and recharge my batteries. I will take this leave of absence. The Executive Committee and I mutually agreed that it was in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers to take this step."

Bob Harlan will continue to serve as the principal executive of the Green Bay Packers for a period of time to be determined, as Chairman of the Board, Platten also announced.

"Everyone knows what a great leader Bob has been for this organization over the past 18 years," said Platten. "We are pleased that Bob has agreed to provide leadership continuity for the organization. The Executive Committee has tremendous confidence in Bob and his capable staff."

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could it again be health problems? John Jones had a heart attack not too long ago. He may have came back too soon. We will have to wait and see what happens.!!

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of those last-second-decisions:

You go to sleep and think about if everythings in place for tomorrow and
suddenly you can't sleep. You feel that you made a mistake and that there's trouble ahead.

Some people would go to the fridge, have another beer and think of something else. :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of those last-second-decisions:

You go to sleep and think about if everythings in place for tomorrow and
suddenly you can't sleep. You feel that you made a mistake and that there's trouble ahead.

Some people would go to the fridge, have another beer and think of something else. :)
Sounds like the solution to me!!!! :packbeer: :packbeer: :packbeer:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got to give the organization credit for identifying a problem and addressing it, regardless of the media/fan reaction.

This probably is a good thing to have happen right now, instead of later. If this team goes through another non-winning year with booing fans leaving Lambeau games early, Favre making demands and the resulting pressures on TT, we need an experienced and respected person in charge. Not someone who has leadership and management problems.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got to give the organization credit for identifying a problem and addressing it, regardless of the media/fan reaction.

This probably is a good thing to have happen right now, instead of later. If this team goes through another non-winning year with booing fans leaving Lambeau games early, Favre making demands and the resulting pressures on TT, we need an experienced and respected person in charge. Not someone who has leadership and management problems.
I always liked it when Harlan ran the show. His forced retirement sucked in my view.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am seriously wondering what in the hell did Jones do to have this taken from him at virtually the last minute?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On this date...May 27, 2007...let me be among the first to say...

that the John Jones "leave"(firing) had something to do with Ted Thompson. Jones will never work for the Packers again(Press Gazette column today).

A source(the closest thing I had to an insider) told me John Jones is/was no fan of Ted Thompson.

Apparently Jones and Mike Sherman were close, and felt Thompson TOTALLY mishandled Sherman, including the ridiculous $6 million dollar contract extension when he knew he was going to fire him.

Ted Thompson is Bob Harlan's man, and Bob pretty much tacitly governs the Board of Directors. So rather than put the guy in charge who is likely to ash-can your hand-picked GM, out goes John and in comes "executive 'X'.

Could it be Ron Wolf?

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is really the case - Jones vs. Thompson - it sounds like a major power struggle at Packer central. Looks like Thompson wins again.

Wonder if there are any other Sherman buddies in the organization. Was Sherman that polarizing?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
So rather than put the guy in charge who is likely to ash-can your hand-picked GM, out goes John and in comes "executive 'X'.

Could it be Ron Wolf?

That'd be neat, but I think Ron Wolf is at the age Bob Harlan is already.

Reaction score

that the John Jones "leave"(firing) had something to do with Ted Thompson. Jones will never work for the Packers again(Press Gazette column today).

A source(the closest thing I had to an insider) told me John Jones is/was no fan of Ted Thompson.

Apparently Jones and Mike Sherman were close, and felt Thompson TOTALLY mishandled Sherman, including the ridiculous $6 million dollar contract extension when he knew he was going to fire him.

Ted Thompson is Bob Harlan's man, and Bob pretty much tacitly governs the Board of Directors. So rather than put the guy in charge who is likely to ash-can your hand-picked GM, out goes John and in comes "executive 'X'.

Could it be Ron Wolf?

Net, I personally am inclined to think your post is on to something...

I mean you just don't fire a guy for "lack of management qualities" 18 months after you hire him; Harlan is a shrewd guy and he wouldn't have just noticed something like this.

HOWEVER, someone reported about a couple of months ago that Jones was on thin ice (everyone shrugged it off). He reported that because the executive committee wasn't 100% sold on Jones in the first place, Jones health problems limiting him from running the Packers, and basically some experiences where he seemed to "snub" certain sponsors/stakeholders were the things that got him fired. Those things in combination (apparently the executive committee already had concerns about Jones before those things happened) led Harlan to go to the executive committee with his recommendation, and the executive committee decided to stay pat with Harlan.

I'd take his word on this since he reported it 2 months ago, and said Jones was on thin ice in the first place. That's pretty impressive, that something like that was completely dismissed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Could it be Ron Wolf?
This doesn't make sense to me......if this were the case, then WHY would they have put him in the situation in the FIRST place? Why wouldn't they have just by passed him and got who they want? This conspiracy stuff just makes no sense.
Here are some that agree with me:
"It does not compute!" (Robot B-9 from "Lost In Space")
"It is illogical!" (Mr. Spock from "Star Trek")

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense. Take a look at the research. Ron Wolf? His age? Yeah. research.
Jones even getting put in the spot didn't make sense to me. If they already didn't like him, why didn't they just say the old "We're going in a different direction" and hire someone else right off? He must have done something to tick someone off. Just my opinion of course.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
It doesn't make sense. Take a look at the research. Ron Wolf? His age? Yeah. research.
Jones even getting put in the spot didn't make sense to me. If they already didn't like him, why didn't they just say the old "We're going in a different direction" and hire someone else right off? He must have done something to tick someone off. Just my opinion of course.

I honestly don't know what happened. All these conspiracy theorists are amusing though.

I particularly am fond of the one that has John Jones not liking Ted Thompson (i actually threw that idea out there when John being promoted was first public, i asked if John would can Ted cuz he wants his 'own' guy) and was going to fire him or remove him. This process of promoting John has started I believe 18 months ago. Who was our GM then? Yeah, good conspiracy.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, from an article at JSOnline;

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=611257

The stunning turn of events leaves the Packers looking like a franchise in disarray. At a time when fans have openly questioned the work general manager Ted Thompson has done to rebuild the football team, and the furor over quarterback Brett Favre's desire for the Packers to sign wide receiver Randy Moss put the team on the defensive, there are plenty of questions about the direction of the front office.

When will it be resolved? It could be a year, team officials said.

In a telephone interview Sunday afternoon, a glum-sounding Harlan chose his words carefully as he tried to explain why the shakeup had to happen.

He also dismissed any notion that Jones, 55, who had open-heart surgery in June 2006, had to step aside for health reasons. The franchise's refusal to discuss in any detail the circumstances surrounding Jones' illness had raised speculation about Jones' ability to handle the pressures of running a storied franchise.

"Health was not an issue," Harlan said.

According to Platten, the management issues came to light several months ago. Harlan said he was informed by staff at the Packers - he said it was more than one person - who raised "management issues' involving Jones.

"We started hearing about management issues," Harlan said. "In the last three weeks it became very prominent. More than one person brought this to my attention."

Harlan said the problems did not revolve around personal conduct or ethical issues, but declined to provide further detail.

However, an NFL source familiar with the situation said Harlan kept hearing concerns from employees who questioned Jones' ability to manage.

Harlan then went to members of the team's Executive Committee, to which he reports, and reported what people were saying, the NFL source said.

The committee, a powerful and influential body of CEOs and other professionals, met with Jones last week and discussed the problems. The committee then made the decision to put Jones on an indefinite leave of absence and study the matter further.

Jones agreed to the leave, team officials said.

"It's been very difficult," Harlan admitted Sunday. "Out of respect for John and his family, I don't want to say much more."

No conspiracy theorist, but I do think the timing of this is more than mere coincidence. After this season, we should have a much better idea if TT's "Plan" is working. Another season of mediocrity and I'm guessing the Packers will bring in a CEO (with no ties to the present staff) to decide if it's time for them to go in a different direction.

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Packers will bring in a CEO (with no ties to the present staff) to decide if it's time for them to go in a different direction.

I've been wondering the same thing, but I don't think that is too likely.

The thing that makes Green Bay unique from any other franchise in pro sports is that it is in such a small market and is publicly owned.

I think it's safe to say that the Packers financial structure isn't exactly like similar to teams like Washington, NY Giants and Jets, New England, etc. IF you have a completely new individual coming in, there'd be a steep learning curve where you have understand all the fine points about the way the Packers are run. Harlan has only been granted an extra year, so I don't think they'll rush to hire just any guy outside the organization, and a proper search for the guy should take a couple of months, so he'll have less than a year to learn on the job.

Furthermore, a new individual coming in might not have a full understanding of the fan interaction. I've read numerous stories of how Harlan interacts with the fans, taking their concerns and questions. It is the right thing to do, seeing as Green Bay is publicly owned. However, will someone who is coming from outside the organization have the same understanding of this relationship between the CEO and the fans? I don't think they would right away, which could complicate matters concerning fan interaction and possibly sponsor interaction.

I just don't think it is viable to go outside the organization in search for a new CEO. Someone inside the building has an understanding and experience at the stuff Harlan has to go through regularly, so I think they hire from within.

But I do agree with you, Harlan says that these problems came to light a while ago, so I'm not sure why they'd wait until the last minute to do something that concerns management style. IF Harlan kept hearing concerns, then I'd have to guess that he'd have acted a lot sooner. Harlan is a smart guy, and would be aware of the short comings of Jones and I'm guessing tried to work with him in those areas for the last 18 months.

But kudos to Harlan, if any man bleeds Green and Gold, it is him! I wouldn't mind it one bit if he stayed on for at least another couple of years.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point aadp, but I just think there are so many ties in the Packers organization to previous regimes that I'm not sure if any of them can have an objective viewpoint anymore.

We've got people with ties to Harlan, Jones, Wolf, Sherman, Brandt, Herock, Dorsey, McKenzie, Schneider, Hatley and Thompson having worked with or for them. It's nearly impossible in these cases for allegiances not to form. As they did when they brought in Ron Wolf, I think they need someone with no ties to anyone else here whatsoever in order to see things in the proper perspective.

IMO, millions of people change jobs every year and adjust just fine. Football operations in Green Bay isn't much different than football operations in any other franchise. Sure, things are done a little differently without a single owner, but football is football, winning football is winning football, fans are fans.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had over 7 years to get to know the guy. Internal power struggles and personality conflicts can't be the issue.

With the way events have occurred and because of the timing, I think Jones (1) was found to have his hand in the cookie jar or (2) got caught with his pants down.

Members online

Latest posts