John Jones taking a leave??????

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
John Jones tried to molestor Ted Thompson and everyone knows, no one can molestor Ted except the moth in his wallet.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know about that Z2C, but it is entirely possible that Jones had a distinct homophobic bias that created a significant rift between him and TT. That's the type of thing that would be considered a "leadership" and "management" related issue in this day and age.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"It's been very difficult," Harlan admitted Sunday. "Out of respect for John and his family, I don't want to say much more."

I may be over reading into this, but why be hush about something out of respect to his family unless John did something disrespectful towards his family? Like he cheated on his wife with a secretary and it was found out and the brass decided its not right for someone who cant be loyal to their wife run the Packers?

And as one other user mentioned. If its management issues, how could they not know what they were getting with his management skills in the last eight years?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Read all the wonderful comments Harlan had about Jones just ONE year ago.
Harlan Named Chairman; Jones Named 10th President; Martin Elected To Executive Committee

posted 05/31/2006

BOARD APPROVES NOMINATION OF FOUR CANDIDATES FOR SHAREHOLDER VOTE

Wednesday at the Green Bay Packers' quarterly meeting of its Board of Directors, Bob Harlan formally became the team's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer and John Jones became President and Chief Operating Officer.

The move was part of a plan of succession approved by the Board at a meeting in October 2005. Harlan will continue to chair the Board of Directors and Executive Committee until May 2007. The next step in the plan will take place at the Board's May 2007 meeting when Harlan will be elected Chairman Emeritus after having reached age 70, the Board's mandatory retirement age, and Jones will be elected President and Chief Executive Officer.

"This is the next step in the plan that was approved last October," said Harlan. "I'll continue to oversee the organization for the next year and John will continue to take on more duties and become more involved in the football side of operations as he furthers his preparations to become CEO in 2007."

"I'm honored to become the 10th president of the Packers," said Jones. "I'm thankful to Bob Harlan, the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors for this opportunity. I'm very confident the stability, continuity and direction of the team will carry us into a successful future. All of us here will continue to work to provide the football team with all the resources it needs to field a championship club and we will continue our efforts to give our fans an awesome experience when coming to Lambeau Field, be it on game day, or any day."

In addition to becoming the team's 10th president, Jones also was nominated as a director by the team's Board of Directors for shareholder vote at the July 19 annual meeting.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Online
www.jsonline.com | Return to regular view

Original Story URL:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=430119
Jones takes the handoff from Harlan
New team president vows focus will stay on winning
By DON WALKER
[email protected]
Posted: May 31, 2006

Green Bay - For John Jones, the new president of the Green Bay Packers, Wednesday was a special day in his career in professional football.

"This is a moment I'll never forget," Jones said after the franchise's board of directors formally named him the team's 10th president and chief operating officer. "To have the chance to become president of this organization. It's a very humbling moment."

The board had endorsed a succession plan last October at the behest of Bob Harlan. Under the plan, Harlan will continue to chair the board of directors and the team's executive committee until May 2007. At that time the board will formally elect Harlan chairman emeritus and Jones will be elected president and CEO.

Both Harlan and Jones said the transition would be smooth. Harlan said it was his intention to give Jones, who has spent much of his time on the business side of the organization, a chance to be more involved with the football operation over the next year.

Jones said Harlan's presence and skills as president of the team since 1989 were huge. "No one is going to replace Bob Harlan," he said after the meeting, held at Lambeau Field. "His shoes are not going to be filled. Bob is in a special class in all of football, and I'm the first guy to recognize that."

But Jones said he would work to leave his own mark on the franchise. "What I will do is work very hard to be my own man, to continue the tradition that is important to us, and to make sure that fans know we do everything we can to win," he said. "That nothing is more important than winning to the Green Bay Packers. That's the tone Bob has set. That's the right tone that our fans expect and deserve."

Jones, whom Harlan recruited from the National Football League's Management Council to come to Green Bay in February 1999, said one of his goals was to "make sure that Green Bay and the Green Bay Packers are always referred to as being one of the elite franchises and one of the important places in all of sport."

One change coming that the Packers will have to contend with is a new commissioner. Paul Tagliabue, who was considered a friend of the organization as commissioner, is retiring. A search to replace him has begun, and Jones said it was important that the new commissioner understand the connection the Packers have with the community.

"If Green Bay is healthy in the National Football League, we think that's very important for the success of the league as a whole," he said.

In addition, Jones said revenue sharing and the salary cap were two components of the collective bargaining agreement with the players that are essential to the survival and success of the Packers.

Harlan said he would continue to represent the franchise at NFL meetings that pertain to the commissioner search, but that he and Jones together would sit in on other owners' meetings.

The board of directors also elected Edward J. Martin, 50, owner and CEO of H.J. Martin & Son Inc., in Green Bay, a member of the executive committee. Martin, a member of the board since 2004, replaces Don Schneider, a member of the executive committee since 1984. Schneider, who has been ill, is 70, the mandatory retirement age under team bylaws.

The executive committee, which is elected by the board of directors, directs corporate management, approves major spending, establishes policy and monitors the performance of the team's managers.

The board also approved the nomination of four candidates, including Jones, to replace directors who have reached the mandatory retirement age.

In addition to Schneider, the other retiring directors are C. Patricia LaViolette, Leo J. Scherer and Edward A. Thompson. The four candidates are Beverly A. French, a Green Bay advertising executive; Jones; Thomas L.Olson, former president and CEO of U.S. Paper Mills in Green Bay; and former Packers linebacker Bryce Paup.

Packers shareholders will vote on the four candidates at a meeting July 19.

Jones ready to take reins
He's set to succeed Harlan as Packers president this week
By DON WALKER
[email protected]
Posted: May 27, 2006

Green Bay - Since 1989, Bob Harlan has led the Green Bay Packers franchise through 13 straight winning seasons, 10 playoff appearances, two Super Bowls and a difficult and draining fight to get taxpayer support to renovate Lambeau Field.

On Wednesday, as part of a succession plan Harlan put in place, the Packers' board of directors will endorse a move that calls for Harlan to step aside so John Jones can take over as the team's 10th president and chief operating officer.

Harlan, as much a part of the Packers' image in Wisconsin as quarterback Brett Favre, isn't going away entirely. Now 69, he will remain with the franchise as chief executive officer and chairman of the Packers' board of directors for one more year. In May 2007, he will become chairman emeritus, and his role will diminish greatly.

At that time, Jones, now 54, will become chairman and CEO.

Even with Harlan around, the Jones era already has begun. In a significant move, the two spoke to the Journal Sentinel in separate interviews, a clear sign that Harlan wanted to give Jones a chance to articulate his own vision.

During the National Football League draft, general manager Ted Thompson spoke with both Harlan and Jones to tell them of his decision to go with linebacker A.J. Hawk as the Packers' first-round pick. The year before, Thompson spoke only to Harlan.

Jones takes control of a franchise that is financially sound, thanks in no small part to the $295 million Lambeau Field makeover, which allowed the Packers to generate more in-stadium revenue and remain competitive.

But Jones also is taking over an organization that stumbled through a 4-12 season last year, ending the string of winning seasons. Harlan said many veteran front-office employees had never experienced a year in which the Packers had a losing season.

Additionally, there is an untested new head coach, Mike McCarthy, in place. And there is Favre, a future Hall of Famer, playing in the twilight of his brilliant career with a team full of question marks.

Harlan, who joined the front office in 1971, conceded that last season was a "complete shock" to many Packers shareholders and fans.

"The thing that concerned me was the reaction by the shareholders and how really angry they were," Harlan said. "They were concerned about Favre not coming back and that Thompson wasn't spending salary-cap money."

It is those challenges that Jones will face now and into the future. He said he is ready and optimistic.

"It's a great milestone for anyone to think, to say the words, 'president of the Green Bay Packers,' " Jones said. "Those are hallowed words in all of sports. I'm deeply grateful and it's a privilege to have that opportunity. I'm grateful Bob and I have a year to spend together. Bob is always going to be a part of my team."
Looking outside for help

Harlan's impact on the franchise, in fact, will be felt for years to come. In the past, he said, the team's executive committee would hire a president from their own ranks, and that person would hire a general manager. But Harlan brought Jones and Thompson in from outside of the organization.

Jones joined the Packers in February 1999 after 10 years working with the NFL's Management Council. While with the Management Council, he was a member of the team that negotiated a collective-bargaining agreement with the players. Jones also played a part in creating the league's salary cap. That cap, both Harlan and Jones say, is critical to the Packers' well-being.

Jones has spent much of his time in Green Bay focusing on the business side of the franchise. Along with Harlan, Jones was a key player in the transformation of Lambeau Field from a venue where football was played 10 times a year to a year-round destination with more suites, more premium seating, restaurants, an atrium and a new Packer Hall of Fame.

Now Harlan is getting Jones more involved with the football side of the franchise.

"I want him to get him closer with Ted when Ted needs to make a decision," Harlan said. "I used to be the one when Ted or whoever it was would just sit down with me and we'd make a decision. I'm getting John included in that now."

Jones said: "We have a very good relationship and I'll show up in Ted's doorstep, or he'll show up at mine. If there is something that Ted needs to move us forward, or what Mike needs to move forward, that's why we have this building. That's why we put so much effort into the stadium. Because it is all pointed toward the football team, and having the resources and having a championship organization, not just in name, but in fact."

Both Harlan and Jones see themselves as delegators. Both believe that top managers need to be able to make decisions and grow as leaders on their own. That's true for coaches and front-office personnel, they say.

Jones is also a believer in strategic planning, leadership development and employee training. Jones, like Harlan, studied journalism in college and has a background in communications.

"When you work here, we all know we're a part of something bigger than ourselves," Jones said. "It's a very important and gratifying opportunity to build something that is so important like the Packers, not for ourselves but for what it means to the fans and the community."

The Packers are synonymous with Green Bay, and Jones is well-known in the community because of the Packers and their community and charitable efforts.

But Jones is not as well-known in Milwaukee, though that is changing. Mindful that the Packers played for decades in Milwaukee until leaving for good in 1994 - a decision Harlan says to this day was the toughest move he ever made - Jones has made a point of reaching out to Milwaukee.
Plans to be visible leader

He has given speeches, met community leaders and was offered and accepted a position with the Greater Milwaukee Committee, a key community group.

"The Milwaukee community for me is a personal priority," Jones said. "This franchise wouldn't be here if Milwaukee hadn't supported the Packers. Between Milwaukee and Green Bay, there wouldn't be a franchise."

Jones also plans to continue a Harlan tradition at the Packers executive offices: He'll answer his own phone.

Throughout his own career, Harlan has spoken to shareholders on the telephone, or answered their letters.

While Jones can rely on Favre at least for one more year, Jones has contemplated a Packers' future without him.

"Whenever the day comes when we begin to wait for Brett's enshrinement at Canton, that will be a bittersweet day because it's a day that will mark a great player who is immortal in our eyes and will be given immortality in the Hall of Fame," Jones said. "But it will be a transition in our organization. But we will manage it and achieve it successfully. Not because anybody can replace Brett Favre. . . . Brett would be the first to say that the Packers will be good in the future and they will be a winning organization in the future."

Will fans notice anything different on game day under a new Packers' president?

"Our goal is to have the best experience for fans on game day than any stadium in the NFL," Jones said. "We will be looking to continue that trend. It will be a very exciting year."

And, Jones and Harlan hope, a successful one

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"It's been very difficult," Harlan admitted Sunday. "Out of respect for John and his family, I don't want to say much more."

I may be over reading into this, but why be hush about something out of respect to his family unless John did something disrespectful towards his family? Like he cheated on his wife with a secretary and it was found out and the brass decided its not right for someone who cant be loyal to their wife run the Packers?
Heck.......the country thought Bill Clinton could "do" Monica and still run the country! :rotflmao:
Maybe we should have the Packer brass run Washington instead! :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts