Joe Thomas

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, I know this sounds a little sketchy, and believe me, I'm usually the one who never believes stuff like this, but I heard this info this weekend, and thought it was pretty awesome.

So a friend of a friend (suprise suprise, thats how these things always go ha) went to college with Joe Thomas at Madison, and is still very much in touch with him up to this point too. He said that when his contract is up in Cleveland (1 more year) he said he doesnt wanna sign anywhere else but for the Packers. Has been a lifelong fan growing up in Wisconsin, and has always dreamed of playing in Green Bay. The Browns (which they probally will) can franchise him, but its something I thought cool to look forward too, having an elite guy like Joe Thomas come and anchor down part of our O-Line at maybe two years max?

Just thought this was interesting and got me a little excited about it, It wont be for a while yet, but if he wants to play for the Packers as bad as it sounded, I say theres no doubt we don't land him..

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's a very improbable scenario but... IT COULD HAPPEN! Clifton's new contract has a low gaurantee to it which is pretty fishy. TT most likely did that because we can either get our LT of the future with this draft or get a guy in free agency next season (hopefully Thomas) and then cut Clifton.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I see no way. I don't see Ted spending the kind of jack it would take to bring him here.

If he takes a lowball offer just to be here, then sure. Otherwise, I don't see it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not happening. Cleveland will max contract him or Franchise him. I think I have heard this rumor in some sort of version about 10 different times. I, like everyone, would love to have the best player at his position but its not happening. They will franchise him every year before they let him leave. Fitzgerald grew up a viking fan and is still a fan but he knows business is separate. Same with Peyton and New Orleans and about every other big name player. If we dont have a viable long term option at Lt by the time joe is a free agent we will be looking at drafting a new QB since rodgers will be so shell shocked.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to get him in a Packer uniform.........but I don't think it is going to happen.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it happening, but not because he'll cost too much. I don't see it happening because I believe TT will get the future LT this draft, and not let Rodgers' blindside to chance.

So getting Thomas would hamper this LTs improvement...

But if somehow the LT position isn't adressed in this draft, then I could absolutely see it happening...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is seriously cleaning house with trading away Quinn and Wimbley yesterday. But that's because those players were really average and he probably wanted to get the most he could out of them. I don't think Holmgren is that stupid to let Thomas go considering he's a pro bowler. Maybe we could trade Dary Colledge and some other stuff for Thomas? Would it be worth a shot?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think Thomas is the one piece that's untouchable right now in Cleveland. They have 1 guy who's in the top 20 in the NFL at his position and it's Thomas. To trade him would be stupid. You don't want to start over from a position that's so important when you already have your franchise guy there.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if he doesnt want to play there its a little different. I think they will franchise him, but they won't do it year after year, that would get way too expensive... And if Joe Thomas came available, im sure TT would spend the money to get him... I don't think that would be an issue at all.. He's a guy that fits the description of what TT finds as a 'Packer Player'

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is seriously cleaning house with trading away Quinn and Wimbley yesterday. But that's because those players were really average and he probably wanted to get the most he could out of them. I don't think Holmgren is that stupid to let Thomas go considering he's a pro bowler. Maybe we could trade Dary Colledge and some other stuff for Thomas? Would it be worth a shot?

Let me get this straight... you are purposing a trade with Cleveland for Joe Thomas, in exchange we would give them Daryn Colledge and "stuff"...

You want to trade a so so guard for the best left tackle in football? While we are at it why dont we trade AJ Hawk for DeMarcus Ware?

Seriously people, Cleveland is not trading a franchise left tackle. Just like the Packers arent trading Rodgers to the 49ers.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me get this straight... you are purposing a trade with Cleveland for Joe Thomas, in exchange we would give them Daryn Colledge and "stuff"...

You want to trade a so so guard for the best left tackle in football? While we are at it why dont we trade AJ Hawk for DeMarcus Ware?

Seriously people, Cleveland is not trading a franchise left tackle. Just like the Packers arent trading Rodgers to the 49ers.

You obviously didn't read this whole thread before posting..

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If i'm that serious about my posts I would be at Lambeau field right now protesting for such a trade to happen. Unfortunately for me, I'm not that serious and realize that this is just a forum where I have no official power at all just expressing my thoughts. Besides didn't I also state that Quinn and Wimbley are "average players" and Holmgren "isn't that stupid?" Since you're the expert here why don't you tell me what we should do about our line?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, this post was about a member of this forum's friend of a friend knowing Joe Thomas, and he telling this friend of a friend that next season, when his contract ends, he wouldn't re-sign with the Browns, because he would only want to play for the Packers...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, this post was about a member of this forum's friend of a friend knowing Joe Thomas, and he telling this friend of a friend that next season, when his contract ends, he wouldn't re-sign with the Browns, because he would only want to play for the Packers...

I was basically about to post the same thing.

"C'MON GUYS, TRUST ME. JOE THOMAS WANTS TO BE A PACKER. MY FRIENDS WOULD NEVER LIE."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i'm that serious about my posts I would be at Lambeau field right now protesting for such a trade to happen. Unfortunately for me, I'm not that serious and realize that this is just a forum where I have no official power at all just expressing my thoughts. Besides didn't I also state that Quinn and Wimbley are "average players" and Holmgren "isn't that stupid?" Since you're the expert here why don't you tell me what we should do about our line?

With realistic expectations.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You obviously didn't read this whole thread before posting..

Is there a certain part of the thread you would like to reference?

It would be nice to keep suggested ideas as realistic as possible, that's all.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a certain part of the thread you would like to reference?

It would be nice to keep suggested ideas as realistic as possible, that's all.
Lets really........... be realistic. I am Joe Thomas......and its next year.........and I am a UFA. I tell the Browns I do not want to play for them any more. The Packers offer me 28 million.........and the Browns say they will give me 10 million more than that. hmmmmm........no...thats ok .....I don't want an extra 10 million.......I am going to go play for Green Bay. NOT.:banghead:

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

The original post is in the same vein.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I wanna be a Packer too but its NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.....
Mike Holmgren is not going to let J.T. go anywhere! come on get real!
He had Clifton in his prime
Walter Jones in his prime
and now Joe Thomas..... this will not happen.....find another pipedream

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I wanna be a Packer too but its NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.....
Mike Holmgren is not going to let J.T. go anywhere! come on get real!
He had Clifton in his prime
Walter Jones in his prime
and now Joe Thomas..... this will not happen.....find another pipedream
Homgren may want to keep him, but if he doesn't want to stay, there's nothing he can do...

He can even franchise tag him a couple of times, but there's a limit to applying consecutive tags...

If he wants to walk, eventually he'll walk.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is probably the best LT in football...the Browns aren't letting him go anywhere.

Funny thing is I saw a post just like last season on another board but it involved TT trading for him or something...but it started with the classic "I know a guy" line. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts