Joe Mixon in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Mixon ends up in Green Bay and that is setting aside the probabilities of predicting 1 out of 32 teams that will draft him. The reason I say that is Ted's aversion to risk as well as the Risk VS Reward equation. Being wrong on not picking him (he has a great career, with no further issues) would barely be talked about by the fan base of the other 31 teams. Even if you were that team that picked him and he is successful without further issues, there is always going to be people saying "never should have picked him, I don't care how good of a football player he is". But being wrong and picking him (he has issues and is out of football quickly), would follow a GM/team for a long time.

The only way I see Mixon ending up in Green Bay is Ted being able to stand up at the podium and being able to say "Hey, we thoroughly vetted this guy and fully believe he isn't the monster he is being portrayed as and because of that, he was just too big of a bargain to pass up in the 3rd round."

All that said, I think you are correct, there will be someone that is willing to roll the dice, but it will be well before TT would even think about stepping up to the craps table (if he is even thinking about doing so).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Mixon ends up in Green Bay and that is setting aside the probabilities of predicting 1 out of 32 teams that will draft him.

This is part of the problem is that almost anything the Packers and Thompson would do would be "shocking".

Getting a top tier cornerback in free agency would of been "shocking"

Trading for Richard Sherman would be "shocking"

Drafting Joe Mixon would be "shocking".

Which all leads to it will be "shocking" if Green Bay wins the Super Bowl.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
All these "Shocking stipulations" start to add up. It's hard enough to win in the NFL and when you add all this "We gotta win a certain way" and "We gotta be so much under the cap" and "This guy is to much this or that" it makes it just about next to impossible to win a Super Bowl even with the great Aaron Rodgers.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is part of the problem is that almost anything the Packers and Thompson would do would be "shocking".

Getting a top tier cornerback in free agency would of been "shocking"

Trading for Richard Sherman would be "shocking"

Drafting Joe Mixon would be "shocking".

Which all leads to it will be "shocking" if Green Bay wins the Super Bowl.

I've got news for you my friend, if you are looking for "shocking" you may be following the wrong team. About the only shock and awe created by the Green Bay Packers is currently in the arm and abilities of #12. Sadly, his Hail Mary's can't always make up for the less shocking things.

On the flip side.....wasn't it "shocking" of the Browns to buy a second round pick and Brock Osweiler for $16M?

D

Deleted member 6794

I've got news for you my friend, if you are looking for "shocking" you may be following the wrong team.

While I agree with your statement it's kind of mind-boggling that most Packers fans and beat writers have accepted Thompson's MO as the only way to rightfully conduct business in the NFL while it hasn't worked on the defensive side of the ball for quite some time.

In my opinion it's shocking that TT using all methods available to address obvious positions of need in a timely fashion would be considered a shocking move with the Packers in the meantime.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read a report linking Mixon to another incident in high school. I will wait and see what this revelation uncovers but I want to make this crystal clear: IF he did something like this before and the incident with Ms. Molitor was his second offense, I am done speaking up for him. As I have mentioned numerous times throughout this feed, I've followed Joe closely since HS as he was a big get for OU coming from Cali. I never heard so much as a rumor in regards to this alleged incident and hope it's not true. The timing seems suspicious but that doesn't mean anything if indeed he hit this other girl. I will hold my tongue for now and am waiting to hear back from some of my OU sources on the validity of this new report.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just read a report linking Mixon to another incident in high school. I will wait and see what this revelation uncovers but I want to make this crystal clear: IF he did something like this before and the incident with Ms. Molitor was his second offense, I am done speaking up for him. As I have mentioned numerous times throughout this feed, I've followed Joe closely since HS as he was a big get for OU coming from Cali. I never heard so much as a rumor in regards to this alleged incident and hope it's not true. The timing seems suspicious but that doesn't mean anything if indeed he hit this other girl. I will hold my tongue for now and am waiting to hear back from some of my OU sources on the validity of this new report.

Are you talking about this one?

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Joe-Mixon-allegedly-punched-female-in-high-school-52373260

I thought that was old news? Or have they found other evidence proving the allegations?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It appears there may be some new info. I'm waiting on my guy to get back with me. I'll update as soon as I hear something tangible.

I'm not sure if you have listened to Mixon's recent interview with Dan Patrick, talking about his interviewing process with NFL teams. I understand why Mixon is guarded and needs to be ultra careful about anything he says, but you could really feel the uneasiness of it all. Patrick pressed him a bit on "any other incidents prior to the two" but then tossed in the words "that we should know about". I cringed.....since that gave Mixon the ability to determine "what we should or shouldn't know about" in his answer. He of course said "no".

Will be interesting to hear any "new news" about the allegation made by Anthony Hernandez. I am pretty sure that teams would have been aware of of the allegations, but everything I read kind of blew them off as unsubstantiated. The timing of more information, couldn't come at a worse time for Mixon who may have already fallen off of some teams boards.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The most recent reports on his draft stock indicate that he could go much later than the draft community believes. This could merely be April smoke as teams are trying to manipulate the board with false information. But it is also possible that teams know something more about the situation that has them more concerned than the public.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think this is a situation where they are just kicking a horse when it's down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think this is a situation where they are just kicking a horse when it's down.
Speaking as a guy who has horses, there are some that you have to keep an eye on, due too history and when you hear trouble in the barn, that is the first horse you think of. So yes, the media is going to be dragging up any and all Mixon news, because they know it sells. But, its part of the environment and one that Mixon and the team that drafts him, better get used to.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with PB2K's most recent statement. The word I am hearing out of Norman is there have been plenty of people snooping around asking questions and digging on Joe. One can only assume these folks are there on behalf of certain NFL teams looking to unearth any possible issues that could surface down the road. Norman isn't a one horse (to keep the theme going) town by any means but when "outsiders" show up in numbers, they will be noticed. This story will be going on for years to come...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also a way for a team that wants Mixon at the biggest possible bargain, to throw more smoke around him to attempt to make his draft stock drop just that much more.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Journal Sentinel polled executives from 11 teams about the running backs in this year's draft class and six of them mentioned they have completely taken Mixon off their board.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...fl-draft-rb-teams-weigh-risk-mixon/100605766/
Fortunately for Joe he only needs one team to draft him. This is the season of smoke and mirrors and we all know there's a ton of false info flying around. Bears talking about wanting Watson when in reality they're probably just trying to deke a team into trading up out of panic. When Bortles got drafted my the Jags NOBODY saw that coming. They had been saying everything other than picking BB. Teams are posturing, trying to do their very best to make sure "their guy" is there when it's their pick. I am sure a few teams have eliminated JM from consideration but I doubt 1/3 of all teams have done so. We'll find out soon enough...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing I just read on another forum. we all remember when Ron wolf passed on Randy moss because of off field concerns we were all sitting there trying to figure out how wolf just made such a big mistake before a down had even been played. can you even imagine how good Favre to moss would have been just look at cunningham to moss. now passing on mixon is shaping up to be a similar mistake.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the thing I just read on another forum. we all remember when Ron wolf passed on Randy moss because of off field concerns we were all sitting there trying to figure out how wolf just made such a big mistake before a down had even been played. can you even imagine how good Favre to moss would have been just look at cunningham to moss. now passing on mixon is shaping up to be a similar mistake.

There are a ton examples of players with off field issues that didn't have successful NFL careers though as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What's Makes it so enticing is the fact with all this "12 personnel talk" inserting Mixon to that makes it "Check Mate"

I think the Packers should get him as I have no faith in our defense at this point. I think Green Bay would be a good fit for Mixon on and off the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss liked weed. Mixon obliterated a woman's face because he has character issues. I don't see the parallels.

Status
Not open for further replies.