Jerry Kramer passed over again....

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed this earlier this week 9(sorry if it's already been posted):

Jerry Kramer and Billy Howton, passed over for the Hall of Fame

Posted by Jeff Ash August 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm Earlier this week, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the two senior nominees for the Class of 2011 — former linebackers Les Richter of the Los Angeles Rams and Chris Hanburger of the Washington Redskins.
That meant, of course, that Packers guard Jerry Kramer had been passed over again.
Senior nominees must be retired at least 25 years. Nominees are chosen by the Seniors Committee, which is made up of nine voters from the larger Hall of Fame selection committee.
Steve Sabol of NFL Films believes Kramer is the best player not in the Hall of Fame.
Sports Illustrated’s Peter King thought Kramer might be on the short list from which Richter and Hanburger were chosen.
Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News listed a bunch of worthy names, including former Packers linebacker Dave Robinson and defensive back Bobby Dillon.
Another former Packers star received some strong support from a most unlikely place. Writing on DallasCowboys.com, Jeff Sullivan made this case for receiver Billy Howton:
“(I) have never really figured out the deal with former Cowboys and Green Bay Packers receiver Billy Howton. When he retired after the 1963 season, his 503 receptions and 8,459 yards were each all-time career records. Even as of 1970, he was third behind only Lance “Bambi” Alworth and Raymond Berry. Also, Howton didn’t even have the benefit of a 14-game season until 1961 with the Cowboys when he was 31 years old. Yet, he never came close to gaining induction into Canton, has never even been a finalist. Wanted to speak with Howton, who recently turned 80, for the 50th Anniversary book, but was unable to find a contact number. He has lived in Madrid, Spain for the last 20 years, at least last I heard.”
Howton played the first seven seasons of his career in Green Bay, but new coach Vince Lombardi wanted nothing to do with him when he arrived in 1959. Howton was traded to Cleveland for halfback Lew Carpenter, a key role player, and defensive end Bill Quinlan, who was a starter until Lionel Aldridge came along.
Howton finished his career by playing four seasons with the Cowboys, joining the expansion team in 1960.
– Jeff Ash (follow me on Twitter!)

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats really sad. When I was first starting to play football in the 6th grade. I was made an offensive guard and I thought it was a dumb, boring position. I didn't know much about the specifics of football at the time and I was really discouraged about playing guard. I wanted to play defensive line and get sacks. My mom called my uncle who drove all the way to the Twin Cities from central Wisconsin on a Saturday evening with his truck loaded up with old game tapes. He gave me an all evening/early morning school session on guards and what they do. I learned all about Jerry Kramer and the Packer Sweep. It is one of my fondest personal football memories. He was the first player I looked for in the Packer hall of fame when I went the first time a few years later when I was 15.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere on the internet that the small group of individuals who select for the HOF and pretty much east/west coast biased. No disrespect for the two individuals who did make it in, but I would bet less that 5% of football fans ever heard of Chris Hanburger & Les Richter. Kramer not making it again is a miscarriage of justice. He is the only player voted to the NFL's first 50 year all pro team not in the Hall of Fame...I don't get it...

Here is Kramer leading Jimmy Taylor on the 28 sweep, better known as the Packer Sweep against the Vikings in 1961.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canton voters are absolutely crazy. There has been reports that a lot of the voters don't vote on guys that didn't talk to the press, which is ludicrous...

Majik

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the NFL network's Top 10 players not in the HOF, I noticed several panel voter's who stated things like, "he'll never receive my vote", and, "he'll never get in as long as I'm alive". Those weren't statements said about Kramer, but since there are guys on the panel that have these personal vendettas, it's pretty obvious that bias comes into play (although we already knew that).

Andre Reed also retired as the all time leader in yards (now surpassed by a number of players), and he's not in. It gets really frustrating just thinking about it.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of the voters must think there are too many of Lombardi's players in the Hall--but, what the H--they are the greatest team of winners ever assembled and dominated the game in the decade of the 60's like no other team ever has. He deserves to be in.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Good point, They named the ******** super bowl trophy after Lombardi due to what he did with the Packers of the 60s, so yeah there are/should be a ton of those guys in the Hall.

Kramer not in the hall of fame is ludicrous. And your right, I have never heard of those other two guys.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere on the internet that the small group of individuals who select for the HOF and pretty much east/west coast biased. No disrespect for the two individuals who did make it in, but I would bet less that 5% of football fans ever heard of Chris Hanburger & Les Richter. Kramer not making it again is a miscarriage of justice. He is the only player voted to the NFL's first 50 year all pro team not in the Hall of Fame...I don't get it...

Here is Kramer leading Jimmy Taylor on the 28 sweep, better known as the Packer Sweep against the Vikings in 1961.

The HOF voters are represented by every city that has an NFL team and 11 national writers (Peter King and Don Banks I believe are two). New York has two (Jets Giants) other than that its pretty balanced. I cant really see an east coast bias as the top two teams with the most players in the hall are the Bears and Packers.

Packers fans always seem to chirp about Kramer, but its not like the rest of the division doesnt have their own complaints. Chris Carter should have been in by now, Richard Dent should be too, but only two defenders from the 85 team are in the hall. Jim Marshall had the most starts in NFL history for many years but still isnt in the hall.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling he will get in the year after he passes. Just a guess, but if Coryell got some interest this year after his passing then I have to believe Kramer would breeze through.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The HOF voters are represented by every city that has an NFL team and 11 national writers (Peter King and Don Banks I believe are two). New York has two (Jets Giants) other than that its pretty balanced. I cant really see an east coast bias as the top two teams with the most players in the hall are the Bears and Packers.

Packers fans always seem to chirp about Kramer, but its not like the rest of the division doesnt have their own complaints. Chris Carter should have been in by now, Richard Dent should be too, but only two defenders from the 85 team are in the hall. Jim Marshall had the most starts in NFL history for many years but still isnt in the hall.

Ivo, shame on you for suggesting any Bear should be in the Hall. :chisux: