Jermichael Finley's Blocking Abilities

Reaction score
Finley is a fantastic athlete and is going to make other teams' lives a living hell trying to prepare for him but his blocking ability as a TE leaves a lot to be desired. In the first quarter, he completely missed a block and it allowed Casillas (I think it was him) to come through untouched to sack Rodgers. That isn't the first time I've noticed his poor blocking ability. Quarless is actually a very good blocking TE. I think it's something Finley needs to work on as he gets farther along in his NFL career.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Finley definitely has room for improvement in that area. Though I wouldn't quantify anything that Quarless does as "very good."

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I told you guys about the YouTube video Finley published right after he was injured (and almost immediately deleted).. I'm not going to bash him, but just remind everyone that he said, "After this injury, next time someone fumbles, the defense gets a free pass if the ball is anywhere near me" .. loosely translated, he will not be sacrificing his body anytime soon.. and that includes blocking. Sad, but true.. until he proves otherwise, I don't expect to see him hit anyone.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares... thats why we have Kuhn and other guys.. Put 88 outside and throw it up!!

On a serious note... I agree, he didnt show much blocking on Thursday

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't have too much of a problem with it. He's probably just afraid of getting hurt again. I would rather him be healthy.

OP
OP
PackersFanfromCali80
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I was sad to see Brandon Jackson go because he was great at blocking. Grant is also pretty good at blocking particularly when a blitz is coming. I can understand Finely not wanting to get injured again but he didn't get injured blocking anybody.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what seperates Jason Witten from other TEs in the league. He is a beast of a blocker. Until you can do both you have a huge hole in your game.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley will be gone after this season anyway most likely I think. The Packs gonna have 2 choose between either him or Jordy in a salary cap move and they'll take Jordy. You think it was an accident we drafted 2 tight ends this year? Or the fact we have kept 4 very capable backups. I'd rather have it this way too. Hes a great athlete but has never been able to shut his mouth and seems like a prima donna (almost like a WR?) Sorry if this seems like a Finley bashing. I like him, think hes a good player. But just listing the reasons why TT wont keep him.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
That's my fear because experience has taught me that they who put themselves first often end up last. I certainly don't want the Pack to fall victim to that.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
Finley's blocking ability will improve. He will never become a Witten blocker, however he can definitely become reliable in the future. Our blocking tight end is Crabtree in my opinion. He has a crazy motor and I love what he can do. Another guy who has a high motor is Ryan Taylor the 7th round draft pick. As for Finley's catching ability, that is second to none.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Having Finley in there as a blocker seems like a misuse of his skills with the hands he's got. Dude hands are made out of stickum. lol I hope we don't lose him in free agency, but I have a feeling he'll chase the money.

OP
OP
PackersFanfromCali80
Reaction score
The type of personality Finley has, he wants to be a big star on a big stage. It's no coincidence TT drafted TEs because he sees the writing on the wall. Finley's size and his hands make him almost impossible to stop but his mouth might be the thing that keeps TT from giving him a big contract.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Of course I'd like it if he could get better on his blocking but I'm not holding my breath. He is what he is, a superb and dangerous receiving threat. I think that's why Crabtree was kept on the roster. He is the blocking TE who will go out for the occasional pass.
I'm not giving up on Quarless or the rookies either.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to have a season to get a big contract. His career numbers are not that impressive. We all know he is good, but I think he needs a complete season to get a huge contract.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that game I think I saw him wide on the right side of the offense more than in tight, they are putting him in a position to best maximize his skill set. The coaches know he cant (wont) block so he has essentially turned in to a WR that has 7-10 plays a game where he lines up inline.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
The type of personality Finley has, he wants to be a big star on a big stage. It's no coincidence TT drafted TEs because he sees the writing on the wall. Finley's size and his hands make him almost impossible to stop but his mouth might be the thing that keeps TT from giving him a big contract.
That, and the fact he was injured all of last year. I think we need to see Jermike have a full year of production before he gets his contract.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is a fantastic athlete and is going to make other teams' lives a living hell trying to prepare for him but his blocking ability as a TE leaves a lot to be desired. In the first quarter, he completely missed a block and it allowed Casillas (I think it was him) to come through untouched to sack Rodgers. That isn't the first time I've noticed his poor blocking ability. Quarless is actually a very good blocking TE. I think it's something Finley needs to work on as he gets farther along in his NFL career.
That's a very good point. As good as he is, he cannot be a liability when in the field. But I believe blocking for a TE is 90% mental. Once he gets a more mean streak he'll be a good blocker. Sure, he'll never be a Jason Witten, but I vividly remember him knocking the hell out of Ogunleye in 09.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts