Jeremy Ross' Job Security

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was very disappointed in Ross' play last week. I think he cost us immensely with those two decisions to run it out of the end-zone and backing up the offense like that. It led to conservative play-calling, which is exactly what we could not afford playing the 49ers. Given his erratic play in the pre-season and this outing, I think his job security is tenuous.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack bringing in McKnight. That guy is a proven return man and could offer something different in the backfield/slot. He's kind of a Reggie Bush/Sproles type player (not comparing him to them in production, obv., but the skill set is similar). I think we could find ways to make him effective in our offense. And I know Franklin was supposed to be this for us, but he's not shown us anything yet.

Of course, if we cut Ross, we're left with only 4 WR, which we won't do. So, any player signed would have to play WR too.

What are your thoughts?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its also not like MM runs 5 wide these days. I didn't see Boykin in on a single play other than maybe special teams.

I think its a joke that Ross is on this team after blatant and repeated stupidity and virtually no production.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Give J. Franklin a shot at the return game? No way in hell I would want Cobb doing it, that would be just another way to get him injured and with our sh!tty luck it would happen.

12theTruth

Its also not like MM runs 5 wide these days. I didn't see Boykin in on a single play other than maybe special teams.

I think its a joke that Ross is on this team after blatant and repeated stupidity and virtually no production.

I wonder what his Wonderlic was compared with Vince Youngs. He plays with no football intelligence whatsoever. You could here Kuhn SCREAMING. NO! NO! NO! NO! so Ross wouldn't come out of the endzone.

In related news Tori Gurley was activated to the Browns 53 man roster a few days ago.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give J. Franklin a shot at the return game? No way in hell I would want Cobb doing it, that would be just another way to get him injured and with our sh!tty luck it would happen.

Wasn't Franklin's deal that he couldn't catch punts/kickoffs reliably? If so, that removes him from our options. Micah Hyde isn't dynamic enough. And Cobb is too valuable to the offense to risk back there, except for when the team needs a dramatic spark or something.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Franklin's deal that he couldn't catch punts/kickoffs reliably? If so, that removes him from our options. Micah Hyde isn't dynamic enough. And Cobb is too valuable to the offense to risk back there, except for when the team needs a dramatic spark or something.
I am fine with Hyde returning punts as he seems to have sure hands.

As far as the kickoff....if you can't catch a kickoff then you don't belong on a roster to begin with.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for Hyde or Franklin doing it, dropping Ross off the game day roster and bringing an extra LB or TE along for Special Teams and depth...we all know if MM really wanted to go 5 wide simply put Fin split out, he's just fine and comfortable, no need for Ross as the 5th man unless we experience injuries.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for Hyde or Franklin doing it, dropping Ross off the game day roster and bringing an extra LB or TE along for Special Teams and depth...we all know if MM really wanted to go 5 wide simply put Fin split out, he's just fine and comfortable, no need for Ross as the 5th man unless we experience injuries.

We have to have a 5th WR for depth because WR injuries are almost a guarantee at some point during the season. Ross actually shows some promise as a WR. The only one I would be comfortable replacing him with would be Walker.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to have a 5th WR for depth because WR injuries are almost a guarantee at some point during the season. Ross actually shows some promise as a WR. The only one I would be comfortable replacing him with would be Walker.

We could do that, but I feel Ross's upside at this point is greater so if it's Walker or Ross on game day roster I'd keep Ross. I'm not saying cut Ross, I seriously think unless injuries occur Ross's presence isn't needed at the games at this point. Don't dress him a time or two and maybe he'll straighten up some moving forward. I don't see the need of him on the game day rosters, but one can easily make the argument to keep him on the 53 man roster....I'm fine no matter what we do, unless he royally messes up again!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could do that, but I feel Ross's upside at this point is greater so if it's Walker or Ross on game day roster I'd keep Ross. I'm not saying cut Ross, I seriously think unless injuries occur Ross's presence isn't needed at the games at this point. Don't dress him a time or two and maybe he'll straighten up some moving forward. I don't see the need of him on the game day rosters, but one can easily make the argument to keep him on the 53 man roster....I'm fine no matter what we do, unless he royally messes up again!
We forget Cobb's first NFL play. He took the ball out from 9 yards deep. Luckily, it worked out and he got a TD and eventually an ESPY for Play of the Year. If Kuhn doesn't prop him up on that return, it could have been equally ugly. I'm confident that Ross got a nice *** chewing some good coaching on the situation and will improve on it next week.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We forget Cobb's first NFL play. He took the ball out from 9 yards deep. Luckily, it worked out and he got a TD and eventually an ESPY for Play of the Year. If Kuhn doesn't prop him up on that return, it could have been equally ugly. I'm confident that Ross got a nice *** chewing some good coaching on the situation and will improve on it next week.

Agreed...him running it out didn't cost that game, can he continue to do that stupid stuff...no, which is why I'm a fan of doing nothing for at minimum another game. Kid has wheels and explosive return potential...just has to learn to be patient and let the times come not force them.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Okay Ross wasn`t perfect, but on at least two of those runs a five yard penalty was given against Sitton for holding, thats hardly Ross` fault. Give the guy a break FFS. Maybe we should call for McCarthy to be shipped out for accepting that penalty ?

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jeremy Ross' job will be a security guard before this season is over.

Okay Ross wasn`t perfect, but on at least two of those runs a five yard penalty was given against Sitton for holding, thats hardly Ross` fault. Give the guy a break FFS. Maybe we should call for McCarthy to be shipped out for accepting that penalty ?
? Does Sitton play ST??? I'd call for MM's head for that long before I call it for taking that penalty.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jeremy Ross' job will be a security guard before this season is over.

? Does Sitton play ST??? I'd call for MM's head for that long before I call it for taking that penalty.

No he doesn`t, but after getting poor yardage, it was further compounded by offside penalties against Sitton. All I`m saying Hyph is that we should at least cut they guy some slack in the HOPE he can mature and improve. The management MUST have seen something in him in the first place. He`s improved straight away by not dropping it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No he doesn`t, but after getting poor yardage, it was further compounded by offside penalties against Sitton. All I`m saying Hyph is that we should at least cut they guy some slack in the HOPE he can mature and improve. The management MUST have seen something in him in the first place.
He's a pure returmer. His ceiling as a WR is a quick slant/screen guy. He's useless running routes and has nothing in the way of hands. His singular value is YAC. He's not even decisive sticking his foot in the dirt anymore. He's got potential to be a stud, but you can only get yards after the catch if you actually catch the ball. We gave just about everybody a shot to take Ross' job preseason.

Hyde has natural skills locating, tracking, and catching the ball. If he calls fair catch every time I'll be plum. He's just never done kick off returns before. Leave Ross there for now and have Hyde return punts. Maybe that'll light a fire under Ross.

Reaction score

He was in for only 4 or 5 plays that I remember... When we did have 4 receivers, it would be Finley as the fourth, as it should be.

Members online

Latest posts