Jauron looks to be the man in Buffalo!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think Mike Sherman will ever coach in the NFL again...(at least..he won't be a HC..again..)

NOw Rossley..he's another matter...

According to him..he's the hottest property in the NFL....(just look at his statistics....!)

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a good sign when you get passed over for Jauron, but maybe he's a Bills guy. Jauron is probably the coach that will bring in Bills people.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Ya see what were tryin' to do is surround everyone with BILLS PEOPLE!"
**** Jauron in his opening press conference.

(hahah...)

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jauron is another good DC who had a miserable time for the most part as a Head Coach. Can't say though that I can blame everything that happened in Chicago on him as that front office seemed very inept and giving him any players to win with.

While I would be scared to be the guy who gives him a 2nd chance, it will be interesting to see if he can do anything with the Bills.

Sherman on the other hand I'm sure could've gotten them to the playoffs one and done for the next couple of years before suffering the same fate as this year.

I don't hate Sherman one bit to clarify, I actually like tha guy but as most I have serious doubts about him ever winning anything in the postseason. But who knows.. people can learn from the first go around I suppose and make the most of the 2nd.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure others have said so, but it sure looks like Sherman isn't as highly regarded around the NFL as some may have originally thought. Some might point out that he may just be happy to sit on his 6+ mill. the next few seasons, but him interviewing with a few teams suggests otherwise.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm hearing is that the reasoning for hiring Jauron over Sherman is that Jauron has no GM experience. Owner Ralph Wilosn has been said to favour Sherman heavily over all others interviewed, but Marv Levy doesn't want anyone who's been a GM in the past (i.e. perhaps questioning his personnel decisions). At least this is what I heard on Buffalo news last night.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right!

Sherman was the clear front runner and then ran into control issues with Levy. Sherman felt left out to dry by T.T. not working to get adequate replacements before and during the season. Levy wants a coach who will not fight to have input into personnel issues. This became an impasse

The Bottom line is both are coming from very different positions. Mike Sherman has $6.4 million reasons to be patient and only proceed if the job is right. Levy on the other hand is 80 years old; he needs his guy right now.

I think people are attempting to read too much into this.

TOPackerFan said:
What I'm hearing is that the reasoning for hiring Jauron over Sherman is that Jauron has no GM experience. Owner Ralph Wilosn has been said to favour Sherman heavily over all others interviewed, but Marv Levy doesn't want anyone who's been a GM in the past (i.e. perhaps questioning his personnel decisions). At least this is what I heard on Buffalo news last night.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bruce...

Are you saying that Mike Sherman was a genius as a GM....?

uhhh..because he wasn't....

This is the problem that I have with Sherman. He is such a control freak that he can't even let someone be a GM....He doesn't work and play well with others unless they are craven sycophants...This is a classic example of someone who is insecure. They have massive underlying insecurities about their own abilities..so they want complete and total control....and it turns out looking like they are just hyper-organized, when they are completely..out of control..control freaks...

Maybe that's the problem TT had with him...

mark my words....

Mike Sherman will not be able to return to the NFL....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your words are marked 66, but I think you'll eventually have to eat them. Mike Sherman will coach again in the NFL, and I think it will be as a head coach, though I don't think he'll get a job until next season (don't see him ending up in Oakland, but it's a possibility - who knows what the hell Al Davis is going to do?)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it looks like Ted Thompson, with probable assistance from Bob Harlan, has just poured $6.4 million down the crapper. Or at least $3.2 million. Sherman could still get a job next year, I suppose.

For Sherman to fail to land a head coaching job when there were ten openings is about the strongest indictment of his skills that I can think of. His stock plummeted after that playoff loss to Philly two years ago and never recovered.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To..

If what Bruce said is true.."That Sherman ran into control issues with Levy"....then what I can't understand is that...

Why the hell can't Sherman just be a HC without trying to be a GM too?

(and you people tear apart Holmgren for being a power hungry egomaniac!)

(I think Sherman is 100 times worse as an ****, control freak....who is power hungry and has a big ego...but it's more covert..rather than overt.)

That's why I think Sherman won't work in the NFL anymore...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why. I'm not arguing for or against who the Bills hired as head coach (though I'm truly surprised they chose Jauron over Sherman) I'm just relaying the info I heard from Buffalo news outlets. I still think you're wrong that Sherman won't coach in the NFL again. Someone with that kind of winning percentage will get another shot regardless of the perception (likely right) that he can't win the big games. I mean Marty Schottenheimer keeps getting hired right?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I'm hearing for the Jauron hiring is that Levy and Jauron go way back as friends...isn't that how a lot of this goes? It seems like that whoever gets the HC job, he hires who he's coached with, etc...

Anyway, that's what I've heard.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jauron is a very decent guy but he sucked as the HC. He seemed asleep most of the time and he blindly stuck with the worst offensive coordinator that I have ever seen until it cost him his job. His "go into a shell" coaching style when they had a lead cost the Bears several games including one at Green Bay.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Jauron was decent when he was with the Bears. He had two main flaws that I saw - 1) Like Phil said, he had no capabilities in deciphering talent in an OC, and 2) he never played the new guys.

Levy had been around Chicago for the last few years and always had nothing but good things to say about **** when Levy would periodically talk on the radio.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66 Mike Sherman is a control freak -- it is both a strength and weakness of his as a head coach. Most head coaches are control freaks, by the way. But in the Bills hiring process, Mike Sherman simply wanted to be sure that his input was going to be respected and heard -- a pretty reasonable request. Levy would not and could not give him that assurance -- it became a deal breaker. It is foolish to ignore that Mike Sherman is in a position to be patient. He is going to collect $6.4 million dollars while he looks for the right opportunity.

Look at who Buffalo hired -- retreads without anywhere near the accomplishments of Sherman are given repeated opportunities to fail over and over.

This is not me defending Mike Sherman to you -- I hope we can move past that now that he is simply part of Packer history. Rather I am just pointing out some obvious facts about the current context.

Many are predicting that he will spend a year in the booth -- where he can collect both salaries while he rejuvenates and spends time with his family. For Christ's sake Matt Milan can get and stay employed in the NFL -- simply by shooting his mouth off as a talking head. What has he ever produced as a front office man, GM or coach? Less than nothing!

P@ck66 said:
To..

If what Bruce said is true.."That Sherman ran into control issues with Levy"....then what I can't understand is that...

Why the hell can't Sherman just be a HC without trying to be a GM too?

(and you people tear apart Holmgren for being a power hungry egomaniac!)

(I think Sherman is 100 times worse as an ****, control freak....who is power hungry and has a big ego...but it's more covert..rather than overt.)

That's why I think Sherman won't work in the NFL anymore...

Members online

Latest posts