James Jones is on the Trading Block: Texans Interested

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Too bad they already traded Demarco Ryans.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Made a board about Jones being gone before Driver, got some flak for it. I don't see room for Jones considering the guys we potentially have in PR and what not.

If they do trade Jones, it won't be because of what they think they'll get from Driver this year. It'll be because they are confident in what they have in Gurley, Moss and Borel.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really buying much of this either. I'm guessing it's just speculation. I think after thinking about the compensation i would rather just keep him than trade him for a low pick.5th or 6th rounder for a guy that NEEDS to have a big contract year? Nah

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would welcome the trade and actually think that it's the right move. I've got nothing against Jones and believe that he's a good egg, but I would rather have an old Driver over Jones. I've stated that many times so I won't list all my reasons again. However, this article was just a rumor. I don't buy it as being credible yet. More than likely it's just speculation more than anything.

I am 100% behind GreenBlood on this one:
It'll be because they are confident in what they have in Gurley, Moss and Borel.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love the trade. We are going to be cutting NFL caliber talent this year at WR. We have 2 #1's (Jennings/Nelson) and 3 #2s (Cobb, Jones, and Driver). Well, maybe DD is a #3 now. Then we have Gurly and Borel who are at least #4 but both have high ceilings. Moss, I really like the kid, but the realistic expectation is at least a year on the practice squad. Basically, we have enough talent at WR to stock 2 teams. The only tradeable player is Jones. We have to keep Jennings and Nelson; and the rest are worth more to us than another team.

BMatt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand how much Driver has done for the community here in Wisconsin, but cmon.

Jones was by far the Packers best 3rd down receiver last year. On some teams, he could be a viable number 1, and a bonafide number 2. You think you can say the same for Driver at this stage in his career? No.

With the reasonable contract that Jones has, I don't see any reason to ship him off. Truthfully, I'd rather see Driver gone, and then see the Packers bring him on in some kind of coaching role.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Moss, I really like the kid, but the realistic expectation is at least a year on the practice squad.

Raw or not, guys who are 6'4" (Packers list him at 6'3" but most sources put him at 6'4") who run a 4.4 with decent to good hands are pretty tough to hide on practice squads. If Moss shows enough that TT decides he wants him to be a part of the Packers' future, he'll pretty much have to find a way to fit him on the roster. I personally think he has the capability to be this year's Victor Cruz if he was on a team with poor WR depth like the Giants last year. Here's how I kind of see the situation right now.

Jennings*
Nelson*
Cobb*
Jones#
Driver#%
Gurley#%
Moss%

* 100% locks
# possible trades
% possible cuts

One of the above won't be here. Left Borel off the list because my gut just tells me he won't make the cut for whatever reason. There might just be some truth to the Jones trade rumors after all. If they are talking to the Texans and they plan to start him, we shouldn't accept less than a 3rd for him. If he has 50+ catches, we should get a 2nd. Regardless, it's not a bad problem to have.

Reaction score
There might not be any truth to it at all.
Exactly. Even the thought of trading Greg Jennings, Woodson, or firing McCarthy has gone through the mind of TT. That doesn't mean he would ever do it though. The most out of this story is that he is just entertaining himself in a somewhat slow offseason.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Jones is an unpopular guy in Packer nation with reason. I want to deem this plausible, I could see it happening, but at the same time I think the Packers have invested too much in Jones to just cut him. Now if we were talking a year ago I could see it, but not now.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What reason is that? From what I hear he's a terrific locker room guy with a great sense of humor and he doesn't drop balls anymore

If he had as many drops as Driver did, everyone would be screaming about cutting him.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm okay if Borel goes somewhere else. I've always been a big fan of the taller receivers. Two years ago everyone thought Jones was the best 3 while I maintained Jordy Nelson was the guy. I like Gurley over JJ or even DD. Not personally, just that I'd like to see some taller receivers.
I wish there was some way to hide Moss. He's no way going to be ready to play this year but that kind of potential only comes around once in a blue moon. It would make me sick to watch Gurley or Moss flourish on someone else's team. Imagine them in purple....

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing here is there's no harm to putting him on the trading block and seeing what teams will offer. If it isn't enough, we keep him and that's fine. If someone ponies up a 3rd or something he's gone, or maybe a team stacked at a position of need for us offers a player for player trade. Whatevs...it can't hurt.

There's just too much talent at the receiver position, and with the decision to keep Driver (the wrong decision I believe) MM and the offensive coaches are going to have to cut guys loose. May as well try to get something for a guy who is underutilized in Green Bay...but has talent that could be better used somewhere else.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article in the Houston Chronicle says, "Rumors started circulating around league circles that the Packers were willing to deal James Jones...".

Doesn't exactly sound like this information is new, or that it is from this journalist. Sounds like pure speculation to me. My guess is there's nothing to see here.

Staff online

Latest posts