James Jones is on the Trading Block: Texans Interested

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see James Jones remain a packer. I think he has some talent....

Reaction score
It'd be fair to everyone...
Cobb would get more opportunities as the 3rd go to guy, Finley/Jordy/Greg get some more catches, we get a draft pick, James Jones gets a chance to be a No.2 guy, our practice squad guys get a chance to play, Fans get to see Driver remain a Packer 4 Life.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'd be fair to everyone...
Cobb would get more opportunities as the 3rd go to guy, Finley/Jordy/Greg get some more catches, we get a draft pick, James Jones gets a chance to be a No.2 guy, our practice squad guys get a chance to play, Fans get to see Driver remain a Packer 4 Life.

We would lose depth for what? a 6th rounder? Nah I'll keep him for that. But you are right, Houston would be a great place for him. Lack of depth, a great #1 to draw attention to and a legit QB.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
We would lose depth for what? a 6th rounder? Nah I'll keep him for that.

The Packers will lose depth at WR no matter what they do. Getting a 6th is better than cutting one (or more) of the receivers and letting them walk to another team for nothing.

I like the idea of shopping Jones around. I'd rather he went to a team that does not play GB this season though.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will lose depth at WR no matter what they do. Getting a 6th is better than cutting one (or more) of the receivers and letting them walk to another team for nothing.

I like the idea of shopping Jones around. I'd rather he went to a team that does not play GB this season though.

You think we are cutting Jones?

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
You think we are cutting Jones?

Well, maybe he means after his contract is up. I imagine, without any career ending injuries to Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, etc., that Jones will not be resigned upon the expiration of his contract. But then again, we would probably get some kind of compensatory selection for him, which could be a decent pick (maybe a 5th?) To me, keeping his production and depth on the Packer's and then getting some type of compensatory pick when he leaves sounds like the best bet to me. The only way this could change for me if one of the young guys (Gurley, Borel, Moss, etc.), are as good or better than Jones, in the coaching staffs opinion. Who knows, one of those guys could be the next Donald Driver!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People forget that just 2 years ago he was our #3 WR ahead of Jordy. Actually I really like Jones, good size, athletic, not making much money, didn't get many looks last year but didn't complain a whole lot and just made the best out of every opportunity. Humble. Good football player. And it's hard to go out there and just catch balls on demand after very limited playing time. And let's not forget a mist all the playing time issues he faced last year he still got to 635 yards, 16.7 avg, and 7 tds, with a 70 td catch.
And if you like feel good stories read this about his journey to the Packers and the obstacles he's had to overcome.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-Jones-journey-from-homeless-childhood-112311

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones isn't going anywhere. He's a solid WR for a very cheap price. It's too unpredictable to rely upon Borel, Gurley, etc. Just because they flash without pads doesn't mean they are game-ready. In today's NFL, you can never have too many quality WRs. Since the price is right, I'd be shocked if Jones gets moved.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I'll trade ya a WR for a running back and a six pack. Wheew it's hot in here!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Jones isn't going anywhere. He's a solid WR for a very cheap price. It's too unpredictable to rely upon Borel, Gurley, etc. Just because they flash without pads doesn't mean they are game-ready. In today's NFL, you can never have too many quality WRs. Since the price is right, I'd be shocked if Jones gets moved.

I agree with your overall point, but I don't think it's fair to say Gurley, Borel, et al. only "flashed without pads." Gurley had a nice preseason last year and both have been reported to practice really well (in pads). I'm sure the Packer's didn't elect to pay them salaries equivalent to an active roster guy just to be on the practice squad to players that only looked good in pads. Didn't Gurley block at least two punts last preseason, and more in practice?

Headrush

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Jones has been kind of the odd man out in the WR corps most of the last 2 years. I kept hoping he'd break out and become a stud like Jordy did last season, but it just hasn't happened. With Cobb showing ability in the slot and what he brings as far as shiftiness, he's more of a threat on the field than Jones...EVERY snap.

Obviously 85 isnt going anywhere and neither is Jordy after his beastly season last year. TT knows he'll lose Gurley or Borel this year if they go back on the Practice Squad. I think shopping Jones is a great idea. I bet we start the first game with Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, Finley...then mix in Driver, Gurley and Borel through sub packages. That's assuming they're all healthy for opening day. Injuries could change everything

Dont forget we have 3-4 RB's including Kuhn and Green who can catch it out of the back field too

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... If we could trade Jones for Tate + a 3rd round pick next year, worth it. Texans won't be able to afford 2 Pro bowl caliber running backs which I think Tate is, so it could be possible.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... If we could trade Jones for Tate + a 3rd round pick next year, worth it. Texans won't be able to afford 2 Pro bowl caliber running backs which I think Tate is, so it could be possible.

I'm pretty sure TEXANS got a pretty HIGH PRICE TAG on TATE...I would love it, but I doubt it's possible

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like James Jones, and would not like to see him go. However, if it came down to cutting James Jones in order to keep Driver and give him the chance to win another SB and/or retire a Packer I would definately keep Driver. He deserves it. I know it is all about what is best for the team...and maybe that means no Driver. I would hate to see it. However, I am of the opinion that Driver would take LESS money to keep playing here and maybe that would allow Jones to stay. I mean come on, we won a Super Bowl with the guy!

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Jones until some team makes us an offer we can't refuse.

He has already tested the market when it would have only cost teams his salary to bring him in. If there truly is a market for him now I agree with you, he's decent enough and prob. the best #4 receiver in the league (lol). Unless someone makes an offer we can't refuse it's worth it to hang on to him for team stability.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great point Slaughter. He tested the market not too long ago and came back at the right price because the market wasn't there for him. Heck, even the Vikes didn't offer enough to get him, and they love grabbing past-their-primes (subjective and not entirely accurate opinion) Packers! I truly don't believe the Packers would get much for Jones in a trade. I think a late rounder is about as good as we could hope for. Given that, I think he's more valuable on our roster as the #3-4 WR. Our offense runs through the passing game, so having quality WRs is a premium.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the situation Jones is the most expendable. He's never pushed for the top job. He's a better-than-average choice for Aaron, but Aaron has many options who are better. To a team like Miami, needing a receiver, he would be pushing for the top spot. He's affordable for the other team. The Packers have an interest in keeping Randall Cobb on the field, and promoting T. Gurley. The Packers will also get compensation in return.
For James: he goes to a team needing a top receiver.
For the Packers: they get compensation, plus a chance to advance younger receivers needing playing time.
Like most good deals, this is a winner for both sides.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see this happening. This team is loaded with FA and some TE that could line up as WR as well. I like James Jones but I wouldn't mind this trade happening if we we're to get a good HB - CB

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is an unpopular guy in Packer nation with reason. I want to deem this plausible, I could see it happening, but at the same time I think the Packers have invested too much in Jones to just cut him. Now if we were talking a year ago I could see it, but not now.

The man has had some drops...but so have others...I've never understood the love/hate relationship with Jones. The dude is a beast some days and others seems soft, however I'm a Cubs fan and currently experience the same thing with Starlin Castro and don't mumble about a trade.

I'm in the middle ground with this trade rumor, but I feel Jones potential is well worth a 4th or greater draft pick or a decent player in return. If it's merely a 5th rounder or so I'd say we'd be better off trading Borel or Gurley for a 6th or even 7th...as they are more unproven.

We'll see, I got faith in the Packer organization.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ is the odd man out and i think he knows that, with the return of Driver and Jordy Nelson who could be a #1 wr on about a dozen team how much production do we really think we'll get from JJ? not to mention the fact that Finley will see his share of balls. We are loaded at Wr.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was our 2nd best WR in the 2010 Playoff run, and in that Super Bowl with 5 catches.
He's a tough matchup for CB's as he has decent size, speed, and strength, great combo.
And he's a good guy.

Jones is worth a 2nd round pick easily. He was taken in round 3 for us and has exceeded expectations.

He would immediately be the #1 WR on a few teams, especially Cleveland.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FrankRizzo - not sure how you can expect a 2nd round pick for Jones after what happened when he hit free agency a couple years ago. Also, consider the fact the Bears gave up a pair of 3rd rd. picks for Brandon Marshall (a much better WR from a talent perspective, with some obvious off-field issues) and the Jets only gave up a 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes coming off his SB MVP performance and still only 26 y.o. Even an older Anquan Boldin, a Pro-Bowler a couple times over, was only dealt (along with a 5th rd. pick) fo 3rd and 4th rd. picks. Given Boldin was older at the time of the trade, but it's still instructive. Taking this all together, the Packers will not the kind of value in return for Jones that is commensurate with his value to this team.

Members online

Latest posts