Jaire Alexander

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m sure there have been posts on here, but this kid deserves a thread! And I wanna brag a little about my love for Alexander. Y’all know I was high on him...I wasn’t high enough.

He is very rapidly on his way to becoming a lockdown CB. Just a complete and total stud. He ran Digg’s route for him on that pick, and Diggs is a good route runner! That’s impressive. And on that TD to Thielen, boy let me tell you, if Brice wasn’t there, Alexander picks that.

Anyways, super stoked about the future of our secondary in King, Alexander, and Jackson.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a great pick, I know most are really high in Jackson and he seems to get most of the praises, but Jaire is the real ****ing deal.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
He's a great pick, I know most are really high in Jackson and he seems to get most of the praises, but Jaire is the real ******* deal.
What I love the most about it is what Gute was able to pull off. Snaked the Saints 2019 1st rounder by trading down to 27, and then traded back up to 18 to get Jaire, and seems to have nailed the pick.

Beautiful.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And on that TD to Thielen, boy let me tell you, if Brice wasn’t there, Alexander picks that.

I just watched a replay of that, and noticed that Jaire turned his head back, saw the ball coming, and didn't react to it at all. Very strange.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched a replay of that, and noticed that Jaire turned his head back, saw the ball coming, and didn't react to it at all. Very strange.

[TWEET]https://mobile.twitter.com/DustyEvely/status/1041528476073971713/photo/1[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://mobile.twitter.com/DustyEvely/status/1041528476073971713[/TWEET]
Watch that video. You can clearly see Alexander flinch back because he sees Brice incoming...and it happened right as the ball was getting there. I really believe if Brice wasn’t there, Alexander knocks it down at the least.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[TWEET]https://mobile.twitter.com/DustyEvely/status/1041528476073971713/photo/1[/TWEET]

Watch that video. You can clearly see Alexander flinch back because he sees Brice incoming...and it happened right as the ball was getting there. I really believe if Brice wasn’t there, Alexander knocks it down at the least.

Didnt notice that live. Wow. Brice didnt go for the ball or Theilen but did take his own guy out of the play.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have to ask themselves can they trust Kevin King. Guy always seems hurt. Do you keep Alexander in the slot or move him outside. I would prefer to keep him in the slot and start Jackson on the outside because of his size. King should be demoted to the dime cb if he ever gets out of the hot tub. Unfortunately, he's looking like a bust. House looks like he's lost a step and is on the other team's highlight reel.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is in response to the tweet not your comment. Maybe Brice saw Alexander in position to make the pick and didn't want to interfere with it. It sure looks like had not Brice been there Alexander could have had the pick or like you said knock it down. It might also be reaonable to think that had Alexander not been right there Brice would have made a better play on the ball.

As Mondio said this was self preservation but I think on both Packer D-backs, maybe even more on Alexander if Brice was actually trying not to interfere. Well actually he said it was self oreservation but I'm not going to mention that:D

D

Deleted member 6794

King should be demoted to the dime cb if he ever gets out of the hot tub. Unfortunately, he's looking like a bust.

King has troubles staying healthy but he has impressed this season when on the field. Therefore there's no reason to demote him to being the dime cornerback if he's 100%.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get king back on the field, get Burks back at LB, and I'm feeling pretty good about covering everyone

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We're going to have a dangerously good backfield in 2019.

Doesn't backfield include safeties? :)

H.E. beat me to the punch. Our secondary is going to struggle with exactly what we saw on Sunday, unless they get help at Safety. HaHa is and always has been inconsistent. Jones seems to get lost once he drifts away from the LOS and Brice just isn't ready.

Until Gute fixes this, if I am the opposing team I am attacking the safeties on any play that I see an opportunity. I say Gute, because much like the CB position was, I don't see the coaches being able to fix this with the players currently on the team. Trading for Thomas is an expensive fix, but could be a viable one. If you are "Reid-ing" this Gute, there is a FA player out there that could be a substantial upgrade over what we currently have and he won't cost you a draft pick or probably that much in a one year deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

H.E. beat me to the punch. Our secondary is going to struggle with exactly what we saw on Sunday, unless they get help at Safety. HaHa is and always has been inconsistent. Jones seems to get lost once he drifts away from the LOS and Brice just isn't ready.

Until Gute fixes this, if I am the opposing team I am attacking the safeties on any play that I see an opportunity. I say Gute, because much like the CB position was, I don't see the coaches being able to fix this with the players currently on the team. Trading for Thomas is an expensive fix, but could be a viable one. If you are "Reid-ing" this Gute, there is a FA player out there that could be a substantial upgrade over what we currently have and he won't cost you a draft pick or probably that much in a one year deal.

The Packers need to line up with two safeties deep more often to make up for the lack of a talented free safety.

It seems the Seahawks aren't interested in Thomas anymore. And while the Packers don't have a rich owner who would have to possibly deal with a backlash by signing Reid I'm absolutely convinced Murphy won't allow Gutekunst to make a move for him as the front office still has to deal with other teams owners.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is going to be a big time playmaker. Along with King and Jackson, the future is bright at CB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What I love the most about it is what Gute was able to pull off. Snaked the Saints 2019 1st rounder by trading down to 27, and then traded back up to 18 to get Jaire, and seems to have nailed the pick.

Beautiful.
Indeed. Very artfully done. Will hopefully be talked about in upcoming years as a wildly gutsy and successful first move in his first draft as a GM. Will be interesting to see what happens with that Saints #1 and if he parlays that pick as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to line up with two safeties deep more often to make up for the lack of a talented free safety.

It seems the Seahawks aren't interested in Thomas anymore. And while the Packers don't have a rich owner who would have to possibly deal with a backlash by signing Reid I'm absolutely convinced Murphy won't allow Gutekunst to make a move for him as the front office still has to deal with other teams owners.

Unfortunately true that NFL teams are willing to lose games over contrived political backlash.

To the point of the discussion though, Alexander has been GREAT. The wounded Derwin James fan in me wanted to be able to point out that the Packers would be better with Derwin James at safety and Jackson at corner but, fortunately, Alexander's play is making that a real hard argument to support (though James has been really good).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson has been pretty good too, but I think a lot of people have been missing out just how good Alexander has been because we're more familiar with Jackson from college. Very happy with both picks. going into the season I figured it was a 2 year deal anyway, so the fact we don't have great safety play, well it is what it is. Be nice for someone to be available or drop in our laps, but it's most likely not happening at this point and it's not really unexpected.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well if nothing changes on the S end between now and the end of the season, we can probably expect 2 things. One, we may loose a game or 2 because of it. Two, our draft priority will once again be on the defense, OLB and S. The scary thing about that, is unless Gute finds a decent safety in Free Agency, which will no doubt cost a bundle, you are back to relying on fixing a position immediately through the draft. After years of struggling at the CB position, it sucks to now be talking about the S position in the same way.

I guess sit back and hope something/someone better develops out of it for the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we already lost half a game because of it. i know what it means. I also know they don't just appear either. If they gave a 1st round pick for Thomas I'd be pissed. A modicum of patience and see what we really have, let our young guys develop and hit the draft and FA with money and picks that we have next year and set ourselves up for another 3,4,5 year run at legit titles. Or weaken our position for that run to have a slightly better chance this year. A year in which i personally think we're going to need a lot to go our way to win it all. Part of it has happened, our draft picks are having an impact at an important position. Get some health and breaks along the way and we're not in bad shape.

Members online

Latest posts