Jaire Alexander

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why trade for thomas when reid is out there free? is there a good pass rusher on a downward trending 0-2 team who they could trade for?

alexander btw is going to be terrific. they need to make jackson the other starter opposite williams and turn him loose on the other team's #1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have no problems at all Signing Reid, I'd encourage it actually. But I think getting Mack and Thomas for 2nd rounders and cheap vet deals was a higher likelihood. Between legal advice now on both sides, I don't see Reid suiting up for anyone

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope King can get healthy, and remain healthy. For some reason, I have a bad feeling about it.. so thankfully Gute NAILED this pick with Jaire. Dude is a STUD!

PFF has him ranked 25th overall through the first two weeks, and I only see that going up up up!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the future potential of this seconday with Jackson and King on the outside and Alexander in the slot. Maybe Alexander plays outside but right now he is terrific in the slot. King when healthy has been very promising and Jackson seems like an outside guy. Part of me would be really interested in Jackson at safety too

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't wait to see it all together with Jackson on the back end and some, hopefully, improved play from Ha Ha and Brice as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

King when healthy has been very promising and Jackson seems like an outside guy. Part of me would be really interested in Jackson at safety too

I wonder why it seems a lot of fans advocate for Jackson to line up at free safety although he has never played the position before.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder why it seems a lot of fans advocate for Jackson to line up at free safety although he has never played the position before.

I remember people saying this was a possibility for him before the draft. They said his ball skills but not top end speed made him a potential candidate to be really good safety in the NFL.

Question for you because you know more than me (that is not sarcastic) is Jaire best suited for inside or outside? It seems like King and Jackson are outside guys. Is that true?

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember people saying this was a possibility for him before the draft. They said his ball skills but not top end speed made him a potential candidate to be really good safety in the NFL.

Question for you because you know more than me (that is not sarcastic) is Jaire best suited for inside or outside? It seems like King and Jackson are outside guys. Is that true?

Yes, King and Jackson are more suited for the outside I'd say, and Jaire excels in the slot. But he's also shown he can do well outside as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any position back there Jaire can't play. he can be physical, even with bigger guys, he can turn and run and can cover anything. I don't care where they play him, keep him on the field. adding a little length on the outside sounds best, but it's not as if he can't do it

D

Deleted member 6794

Jackson might be a tad slow for the Packers to line him up as a single high safety. In my opinion Alexander could play outside as well but he' currently the best slot cornerback the team currently has on the roster.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt notice that live. Wow. Brice didnt go for the ball or Theilen but did take his own guy out of the play.
Just bad circumstance. He had a bead on the ball but probably saw out of the corner of his eye that he was on a collision course with Alexander. I'd rather give up the TD to Thielen than lose Brice or Alexander or both in a high-speed collision. I think if either one of them wasn't there, it wouldn't have been a TD.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just bad circumstance. He had a bead on the ball but probably saw out of the corner of his eye that he was on a collision course with Alexander. I'd rather give up the TD to Thielen than lose Brice or Alexander or both in a high-speed collision. I think if either one of them wasn't there, it wouldn't have been a TD.
Without the other there, I think both of those players knock the ball down at a minimum with an INT being a pretty probable outcome. It was just one of those plays. Both will have to work on on field communication which will come with experience and playing together. They took each other out, it was a bad play because of that. At the same time. Alexander was step for step in great position and Brice covered that ground and read the play and was also there. That's miles ahead of where this Dbackfield was last year when both guys would have been at 15 yards past the LOS with their arms up in the air wondering who was supposed to be covering that guy. It's week 2, give them time.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without the other there, I think both of those players knock the ball down at a minimum with an INT being a pretty probable outcome. It was just one of those plays. Both will have to work on on field communication which will come with experience and playing together. They took each other out, it was a bad play because of that. At the same time. Alexander was step for step in great position and Brice covered that ground and read the play and was also there. That's miles ahead of where this Dbackfield was last year when both guys would have been at 15 yards past the LOS with their arms up in the air wondering who was supposed to be covering that guy. It's week 2, give them time.

Aye... the future looks bright, my friend.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have to ask themselves can they trust Kevin King. Guy always seems hurt. Do you keep Alexander in the slot or move him outside. I would prefer to keep him in the slot and start Jackson on the outside because of his size. King should be demoted to the dime cb if he ever gets out of the hot tub. Unfortunately, he's looking like a bust. House looks like he's lost a step and is on the other team's highlight reel.
House shouldn’t be on the team. I get the veteran-presence thing, but he’s lost more than a step. As for King, he’s effective when he plays, but injury has been the dominant theme so far. Not good. And absolutely, put Alexander in the slot and move Jackson to the perimeter (or vice versa), and keep House on the bench. Jackson is always around the ball and has impressed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get king back on the field, get Burks back at LB, and I'm feeling pretty good about covering everyone
Agreed. And what to do about House? Man he’s lost more than a step. Praying that King gets (and stays) healthy and keeps House on the bench.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we already lost half a game because of it. i know what it means. I also know they don't just appear either. If they gave a 1st round pick for Thomas I'd be pissed. A modicum of patience and see what we really have, let our young guys develop and hit the draft and FA with money and picks that we have next year and set ourselves up for another 3,4,5 year run at legit titles. Or weaken our position for that run to have a slightly better chance this year. A year in which i personally think we're going to need a lot to go our way to win it all. Part of it has happened, our draft picks are having an impact at an important position. Get some health and breaks along the way and we're not in bad shape.
Agree. Giving up a first rounder for Thomas is a bad idea. I’m still optimistic about the D overall. They just have to finish games. Pettine knows it and will correct it.

D

Deleted member 6794

House shouldn’t be on the team. I get the veteran-presence thing, but he’s lost more than a step. As for King, he’s effective when he plays, but injury has been the dominant theme so far. Not good. And absolutely, put Alexander in the slot and move Jackson to the perimeter (or vice versa), and keep House on the bench. Jackson is always around the ball and has impressed.

House is a decent backup and while I would prefer him not getting a lot of snaps it's unrealistic to expect that top four cornerbacks to stay healthy all season, especially considering King can't seem to stay healthy.

Alexander has already played mostly in the slot over the first two weeks of the season and is a better fit there than Jackson.

Agree. Giving up a first rounder for Thomas is a bad idea. I’m still optimistic about the D overall. They just have to finish games. Pettine knows it and will correct it.

As long as Brice doesn't improve the lack of another true free safety could come back and haunt the defense this season though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House is a decent backup and while I would prefer him not getting a lot of snaps it's unrealistic to expect that top four cornerbacks to stay healthy all season, especially considering King can't seem to stay healthy.

Alexander has already played mostly in the slot over the first two weeks of the season and is a better fit there than Jackson.

As long as Brice doesn't improve the lack of another true free safety could come back and haunt the defense this season though.
I think it already has.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson might be a tad slow for the Packers to line him up as a single high safety. In my opinion Alexander could play outside as well but he' currently the best slot cornerback the team currently has on the roster.

I don't think he's ever played safety, at least I don't ever remember him at Iowa. Hell, he didn't even play corner that long. Was just ok there in 2015, barely played in 2016, and we know what he did in 2017.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's ever played safety, at least I don't ever remember him at Iowa. Hell, he didn't even play corner that long. Was just ok there in 2015, barely played in 2016, and we know what he did in 2017.
Keep Alexander in the slot, where, as captain points out, he’s played well. Keep Jackson on the perimeter or in the slot. But Jackson as S? He’s too slow and the Packers have played good players (Hyde and Randall) out of their natural position before with disappointing results. GB has a BIG problem at the S position, but the best option now is to make those players better. In other words, watching tape and coaching. A prayer or two couldn’t hurt.

H

HardRightEdge

A very interesting and exciting story from our friends at PFF:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-z-packers-jaire-alexander-may-be-the-nfls-next-shutdown-cornerback

Saying , basically he may be the best CB since Revis. Im thinking thats a little bold and would dismiss it if it came from a Packer source.
He's was pretty darn good last season and he's an even better player now. He just doesn't give up separartion. He's had a couple of pick opportunities get away from him the last two weeks. If he makes those two plays he looks like a 3-week Pro Bowler. Yeah, he's an emerging star.

"Alexander Island?" Not quite yet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's was pretty darn good last season and he's an even better player now. He just doesn't give up separartion. He's had a couple of pick opportunities get away from him the last two weeks. If he makes those two plays he looks like a 3-week Pro Bowler. Yeah, he's an emerging star.

"Alexander Island?" Not quite yet.
Sure, more of a peninsula at this point.

And i am proposing we go with 'Alexander Atoll'. Mostly for the alliteration, but we can say he runs rings around others.

H

HardRightEdge

Sure, more of a peninsula at this point.

And i am proposing we go with 'Alexander Atoll'. Mostly for the alliteration, but we can say he runs rings around others.
Maybe it should be "King Atoll" since there are still holes in his game. :eek:

How about the "Alexander Archipelago", covering multiple islands? ;) See the Sam Monson tweet, 6th. down the list in the following link before it gets rolled off into oblivion:

https://twitter.com/pff_packers?lang=en