Jags have bad luck

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
espn says small meniscus tear. doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but we'll see what other news comes out.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll probably be fine, and this isn't Packer related.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Sources said that Ramsey is being told there are two possible courses of surgical treatment -- one that would keep him out four to six weeks, and one that would keep him out four to six months"

That could be significant. Jags are just jinxed at their #1, Fowler last year and now this. They have to be holding their collective breaths on Myles Jack and his knee.

D

Deleted member 6794

"Sources said that Ramsey is being told there are two possible courses of surgical treatment -- one that would keep him out four to six weeks, and one that would keep him out four to six months"

That could be significant. Jags are just jinxed at their #1, Fowler last year and now this. They have to be holding their collective breaths on Myles Jack and his knee.

This should serve as evidence that it´s impossible to predict a player´s injury risk coming out of college. Both Fowler and Ramsey didn´t miss a single game during their college careers yet got significantly injured within a month of being drafted.

On the other side it´s possible as well that a player who has had his share of injuries in college will stay healthy for most of his NFL career. That´s why I would have loved the Packers to take a gamble on Myles Jack.

D

Deleted member 6794

As you already know, we needed a Kenny Clark more than ILB

There´s no doubt the Packers needed to upgrade the defensive line in this year´s draft as well but the position could have been addressed later in the draft. Passing on a potential superstar in Jack at a position of need is tough to understand.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no doubt the Packers needed to upgrade the defensive line in this year´s draft as well but the position could have been addressed later in the draft. Passing on a potential superstar in Jack at a position of need is tough to understand.

You can make a case for both, no doubt.

One of the things I admire/loath of TT is, he's against the grain. He doesn't do what the vast majority thinks he should do. It's proven to be successful in his time as a GM.

Does he miss? YEP!

Does he hit? YEP!

Would you consider him Successful? YEP!

We would've all been SUPER stoked if we took Jack, but guaranteed a risk.

I really like Kenny Clark's age, dude's 20, and he will make our current LB's better.

I'm sure you and I share a brain on some of this, and I hear ya on the disappointment on dismissing the pick of Myles Jack, just I'm happier w/ the direction TT went. It made more sense IMO.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a huge 'x, the unknown' factor with Jack, which is why I was fine with TT not picking him.

D

Deleted member 6794

There was a huge 'x, the unknown' factor with Jack, which is why I was fine with TT not picking him.

I understand Jack would have been a risky pick but one with a huge upside. At some point I would like Thompson to take more chances hopefully resulting in the Packers winning another Lombardi Trophy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand Jack would have been a risky pick but one with a huge upside. At some point I would like Thompson to take more chances hopefully resulting in the Packers winning another Lombardi Trophy.

Which comes back to what is probably the biggest problem folks like you and I have with TT; too risk averse.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've never really made the distinction in the past and I see no reason to start now.

No problem. Didn't realize this forum doesn't do that. I was actually suggesting the poster just forgot to identify it as a non-Packer thread.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the kid who had micro fracture surgery in high school? Don't know much about this surgery but it sure seems to scare lots of teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the kid who had micro fracture surgery in high school?

I didn't know about Ramsey having had microfracture surgery in high school before you mentioned it. He was able to play in every single game during his college career though so it seems it didn't concern a lot of teams as he was selected fifth overall and the injury wasn't mention at all during the draft process.

Another reason to question Thompson's decision to pass on Myles Jack who might need microfracture surgery in the future.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he were healthy, I don't know if Jack would have been the pick. He's a fine athlete but looks a bit like an A.J. Hawk clone. Some of the pre-draft brains had him pegged as strictly a 4-3 WILL backer. Recent first rounders like Nick Perry and Datone Jones have had trouble fitting into this system. That SHOULD not be a problem with Clark. We'll see.:)

For what it's worth, I don't object to seeing this topic here. We Packer fans can empathize with those experiencing bad health luck with 1st round picks. Think Justin Harrell and Derek Sherrod.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even if he were healthy, I don't know if Jack would have been the pick. He's a fine athlete but looks a bit like an A.J. Hawk clone. Some of the pre-draft brains had him pegged as strictly a 4-3 WILL backer.

Myles Jack would have been a perfect fit for the Packers most pressing need at inside linebacker and a top 5 overall talent in this year's draft. If Thompson had passed on a healthy Jack he should have been fired during the draft.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team in the first round passed on Jack. That is a huge red flag given his potential. I
would have been okay if we drafted him at #27, but would have held my breath every time
he attempted a tackle.

Sky King

Reaction score
Every team in the first round passed on Jack. That is a huge red flag given his potential. I
would have been okay if we drafted him at #27, but would have held my breath every time
he attempted a tackle.
At least we can all take solace in the fact that we drafted the player who "set the table" for Jack to excel. And Clark starts out 100% healthy. If it all works out as anticipated, Clark will help to elevate the play of those behind him. If so, that's not a bad consolation prize.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least we can all take solace in the fact that we drafted the player who "set the table" for Jack to excel. And Clark starts out 100% healthy. If it all works out as anticipated, Clark will help to elevate the play of those behind him. If so, that's not a bad consolation prize.
The thing is, the most intriguing part of Jack's performance had nothing to do with Clark, and that is his coverage ability. At the very least, he'll be able to provide some value in the NFL with that. Everything else is unclear at this point.

I think he's in a good spot now, in a scheme where he can play as a 4-3 WILL. As an ILB, who knows. If there's a solid NT to keep him clean, he can certainly find himself to the ball, but it will be a major transition going to the pros. But he's certainly talented, and with the general consensus around the league that ILB is not a difficult position to fill, there's reason to believe he could succeed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Every team in the first round passed on Jack. That is a huge red flag given his potential.

There´s no denying it would have been risky to draft Jack in the first round. With the 2016 season possibly being the Packers best chance to win a Super Bowl I would have liked Thompson to take a gamble on him.

The thing is, the most intriguing part of Jack's performance had nothing to do with Clark, and that is his coverage ability. At the very least, he'll be able to provide some value in the NFL with that. Everything else is unclear at this point.

I think he's in a good spot now, in a scheme where he can play as a 4-3 WILL. As an ILB, who knows. If there's a solid NT to keep him clean, he can certainly find himself to the ball, but it will be a major transition going to the pros. But he's certainly talented, and with the general consensus around the league that ILB is not a difficult position to fill, there's reason to believe he could succeed.

Jack would have for sure been a perfect fit to play Will linebacker in a 3-4. While he hasn´t made a ton of plays defending the run he gets off blocks well and is a sure tackler. Aside of his knee injury there shouldn´t be any doubt about his game changing ability.

Members online

Latest posts