Jace Sternberger

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...To your last point, I'm guessing no one predicted the kind of season Tonyan would have last August...
ME!! ;) I was wrong on 1 & 3, though.
From "3 Guys Who Will Step Up" thread, April 7, 2020
"1. ESB showed potential as a rookie and spent '19 on the shelf. I'm hoping he comes back hungry & ready to claim a significant spot in the top 4 rotation.
2. I thought Tonyan would've made his splash last year but had problems with blocking so his snaps were spotty. Without Graham wasting snaps I think Tonyan will come to play in '20.
3. Burks' injury in TC took away valuable preseason experience. He was never able to take snaps away from Goodson or Martinez once the season started. Both are gone so I'm hoping we see a much more confident Burks flying around & making plays in '20."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So just curious, how did you feel about the Rodgers pick in 2005? Davante Adams in 2014?

I get all this buzz about "we were only a few plays short of the Superbowl and Love didn't contribute". However, if all teams were doing each year was building for the "Right now", you wouldn't have a team like the Patriots with the long run of success they had.

Also, "that chance" of winning championships has been around for several years for the Packers, so not sure why or how fans can even begin to complain, as well as imply that the window just closed due to the Love selection.
I didn't like the Rodgers pick. I watched him at Cal and didn't like his throwing mechanics. Then I think he broke his foot in a PS game and I tagged him as fragile. I loved the Adams pick but it took three years to prove I was right, and he has exceeded my high expectations for him. As for Rodgers, I couldn't have been more wrong.

You make some good points. And they got me thinking about the 2014 NFCCG against the Hags. GB had everything in place that year to win a SB. They also had a HC who forgot a game is 60 minutes long. And regardless of the situation(s), four straight losses in the NFCCG is not all due to bad luck. So yes, there have been chances, a lot of them.

And I agree, at some point the GM has to start thinking about life post-Rodgers. I just think last year was way too soon to make that move.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hereby nominate you to be GM of the Minnesota Vikings for that boatload of money. That would greatly ease my mind in many ways.

I would happily take the job to ruin their chances of ever winning the NFC Nort again.

was Tonyan’s 2020 season production a whole lot better than you were expecting last August?

I didn't expect Tonyan to catch 11 touchdown passes but 52 catches for 586 yards wasn't out of the question entering last season.

That doesn't change anything about him having had a good season compared to other tight ends but not a great one.

How many TE’s were better last year? How many of those had a 1st team all pro receiver as a teammate?

Travis Kelce was one of two other tight ends who played next to a first team All-Pro receiver and put up better numbers than Tyreek Hill. He was having a great season.

It also might end up being the difference between future team mediocrity for 15 years after Rodgers leaves or not. Much like the Rodgers pick in 2005, I'm going to see what happens, before lambasting it over and over.

You bring that up all the time when talking about Love right now. The truth is that the chances of him working out the way Rodgers did for the Packers are extremely small though.

As for rushing attempts, I expect they'll be lower earlier in the season - it depends on what the OL looks like. Once Bakh is back, and depending on who they add in the draft, then I'd expect 30 to 35 rushing attempts per game.

I actuall expect the Packers to run the ball more often as long as Bakhtiari is out to protect Rodgers.

I get all this buzz about "we were only a few plays short of the Superbowl and Love didn't contribute". However, if all teams were doing each year was building for the "Right now", you wouldn't have a team like the Patriots with the long run of success they had.

Also, "that chance" of winning championships has been around for several years for the Packers, so not sure why or how fans can even begin to complain, as well as imply that the window just closed due to the Love selection.

The Patriots made a lot of moves to win right now, probably more than any other team over the past 20 years.

The selection of Love didn't close the championship window but definitely didn't improve the chances either. On the other side there are way too many fans implying that the Packers drafting him automatically opened it for another 15 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
On the other side there are way too many fans implying that the Packers drafting him automatically opened it for another 15 years.

I have never read/heard anyone imply the automatic part, but I can totally understand your frustration when you have encountered fans that believe it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have never read/heard anyone imply the automatic part, but I can totally understand your frustration when you have encountered fans that believe it.

I haven't seen anyone imply the championship window with Rodgers closed because of the selection of Love either. It should be obvious it didn't improve the chances though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone imply the championship window with Rodgers closed because of the selection of Love either. It should be obvious it didn't improve the chances though.

LOL....this has now turned into a very circular discussion. I'm going to jump out and agree to disagree with you. Fingers crossed the Packers answer us both with a Super Bowl while Rodgers is the QB and another few while Love is the QB. A win win for us both. :)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger has been suspended for the 1st 2 games of the season for substance abuse. Won't count towards the 53 man roster until week 3 so "bonus spot" is available at cut downs. Jace may find himself gone at week 3 unless he really shows something in camp.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger has been suspended for the 1st 2 games of the season for substance abuse. Won't count towards the 53 man roster until week 3 so "bonus spot" is available at cut downs. Jace may find himself gone at week 3 unless he really shows something in camp.
This really hurts an already marginal player. And it makes me wonder how smart he is.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....this has now turned into a very circular discussion. I'm going to jump out and agree to disagree with you. Fingers crossed the Packers answer us both with a Super Bowl while Rodgers is the QB and another few while Love is the QB. A win win for us both. :)
That would be a dream come true for all involved. And if Rodgers would put his big-boy pants on, it could happen, or at least he'd have a good shot at another ring. Schedule and competition are tough this year though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This really hurts an already marginal player. And it makes me wonder how smart he is.

Exactly this.... Just came here to basically say I think Jace has $hit for brains. If you've listened to his interviews he comes off as dense and entitled.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly this.... Just came here to basically say I think Jace has $hit for brains. If you've listened to his interviews he comes off as dense and entitled. Now he's a cheat and probably cost himself a second contract.
To be fair, I don't think we know what it was. Sometimes it is a medication that wasn't known to be a problem to the player or doctor. My guess, probably something to help him heal something faster.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh, sounds like it was DUI related. I was mistaken.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another example, which nobody will learn from, that you don't judge without the facts.:roflmao:

Of course the "facts" being a statement by Jace? ;)

I get what you are saying, most, myself included, jump to conclusions, before knowing all the facts. In this case, if the "facts" are true, IMO his decision to drink and drive while on anti-depressants is worse than him taking PED's.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the "facts" being a statement by Jace? ;)

I get what you are saying, most, myself included, jump to conclusions, before knowing all the facts. In this case, if the "facts" are true, IMO his decision to drink and drive while on anti-depressants is worse than him taking PED's.

Yeh, if it turns out he had a lot to drink, I'd agree. Meds are weird though. If it was an antidepressant he'd been taking awhile and kind of used to and had a bad reaction to a beer or something, that's just ooooooof. I'm not taking Jace's statement as fact either, no. But we should give it some time to sort out what really did happen before we're piling on him.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeh, if it turns out he had a lot to drink, I'd agree. Meds are weird though. If it was an antidepressant he'd been taking awhile and kind of used to and had a back reaction to a beer or something, that's just ooooooof. I'm not taking Jace's statement as fact either, no. But we should give it some time to sort out what really did happen before we're piling on him.
Agree on not having all the facts yet. I guess I come from the mindset that if you are getting behind the wheel of a vehicle, you are now putting other peoples lives at stake, so its our own individual job to know when we should or shouldn't be driving. We all hear the excuses after something bad happens "I didn't know I was drunk", "I rarely ever text while driving", "I only looked away for a moment", etc. Hopefully, nobody was hurt when he fell asleep at the wheel and he learned a valuable life lesson, a 2 game suspension is minor in the grand scheme of things.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 games are 2 games that HE made himself UNavailable. Don't care if it was an improper supplement or DUI... he's NOT available to open the season due to his own stupidity. He was already down in the pecking order behind: Lewis, Tonyan & Deguara, and possibly even Daffney who did well last year. Uphill battle made even more difficult. :(

Reaction score
I don’t want to get down on the kid. But sometimes hitting rock bottom is just what we need. It was for me.

This kid has so much unrealized potential and I hope for the sake of guys like the late Mitchell Henry, who didn’t get their chance.. I hope this becomes his spark and he uses it. We’ve got enough Colt Lyerla’s in this world to fill a stadium.
I pray someone positive gets in his head because, We could really use a few more Big Bob Tonyans

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 games are 2 games that HE made himself UNavailable. Don't care if it was an improper supplement or DUI... he's NOT available to open the season due to his own stupidity. He was already down in the pecking order behind: Lewis, Tonyan & Deguara, and possibly even Daffney who did well last year. Uphill battle made even more difficult. :(
Give me Daffney who obviously worked to get there and relished the opportunity to get on the field and Tonyan who's worked his butt off every day to get opportunity every week of every season. No knock against Lewis a great professional and Deguara who I think is going to be good too. I just wanted to note Tonyan and Daffney who were not your typical draft/expectation type routes to the NFL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me Daffney who obviously worked to get there and relished the opportunity to get on the field and Tonyan who's worked his butt off every day to get opportunity every week of every season. No knock against Lewis a great professional and Deguara who I think is going to be good too. I just wanted to note Tonyan and Daffney who were not your typical draft/expectation type routes to the NFL.
Release this clown
He's kind of asking for it. Again, not sure of all the circumstances. Sounds like PEDs or DUI. Wrong on either count, as well as dumb.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes the guys with the longer roads/odds finally arrive with a lot more determination. I'll take that.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree, these guys who earned the opportunity should see the field and not guys who are still here because of draft capital.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on not having all the facts yet. I guess I come from the mindset that if you are getting behind the wheel of a vehicle, you are now putting other peoples lives at stake, so its our own individual job to know when we should or shouldn't be driving. We all hear the excuses after something bad happens "I didn't know I was drunk", "I rarely ever text while driving", "I only looked away for a moment", etc. Hopefully, nobody was hurt when he fell asleep at the wheel and he learned a valuable life lesson, a 2 game suspension is minor in the grand scheme of things.

This is what he said

He didn't make any excuses and actually went to rehab, so my guess is LaFleur isn't quite done with him yet. But he's going to need to make up for it with stellar on the field play for sure

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts