It's time to acknowledge that the Lions are for real

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions have been winning with out their #1 WR (which btw is pro top 3 in the NFL)
#1 Rb
and their TE
And remember one of their top LB's who hurt his knee celebrating and they keep winning,we have seen what happens when 1 of GB's starters goes down.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to get a bye in the first round as we would only have to win two games to get to the Super Bowl. In addition the team looks way better at Lambeau than on the road.

Not in the playoffs, they don't. I realize that this is a new season, different from all the others, etc. But the Packers have not been "feared" at home by ANYONE at home in the playoffs, since the Holmgren era. That's an absolute fact. I liked what we saw in 2010 - last seed, low expectations and won three straight with everything on the line. Hate to say it, but I do think that sometimes ... being at home and in the presence of all the so-called "ghosts and greats" can be mentally overbearing for some of these guys - in a playoff game. I know damn well the Giants feared nothing and no one, the last two playoff games they played there. They probably had all the confidence in the world, and why not? Pressure wasn't on them, one bit. They could have sucked on lolipops, played hopscotch and done jumping jacks for 3 hours - they were winning those games and they knew it. The pressure was on the Packers entirely and we all know how that ended.

Personally, I'd prefer being on the road. I'd like another shot at the 49ers in San Fran. We're due against that team.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the Lions Fins game?

Did it look to you like Stafford and that offense was ANY different than last season? Cuz...it didn't to me. That offense simply couldn't put that game away but the pathetic dolphins wouldn't close it out and kept giving them the ball back. At some point the Lions defense alone won't be able to do it all. There is little evidence that the Lions offense is ready to take the next step.

All I keep saying is that this is exactly like the Jay Cutler issue. People were saying the EXACT same things about him and the Bears a few years ago.

Like I said, if this was the Packers in that situation ya'll would be saying "Well, we ain't done shi# till we beat the Packers and win the division."

In fact, that's what we hear about the Pack and the niners and seahags "We aint't done shi# till we beat san fran and seattle".

No difference here. In fact, Rodgers and the Pack have proven a he## of a lot more than Stafford and that Lions offense.

Sooooooo...worry away...have at it. This division is the Packers to lose and I'll stick to that.
I never jumped on that wagon,I knew why Denver had no problem unloading Cutler,although better than what Chicago had at the time I am not surprised to see what is happening the last 2 years,Chicago's front office lost all direction and doesn't have the talent they had since the year they went to the SB(and lost)but I do believe the Lions are a team on the upswing and should be taken seriously,pretty foolish to think the Packers are going to win that division every year and obviously some people don't realize the NFL wants parity and some teams get better and some don't,the Lions have gotten better and will be GB's biggest challenge in the division,people can stay in the fantasy that the Packers are going to win the division forever and ever but that is not how the NFL works and I can't understand how some can't see that the gap between GB and Detroit has narrowed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not in the playoffs, they don't. I realize that this is a new season, different from all the others, etc. But the Packers have not been "feared" at home by ANYONE at home in the playoffs, since the Holmgren era. That's an absolute fact. I liked what we saw in 2010 - last seed, low expectations and won three straight with everything on the line. Hate to say it, but I do think that sometimes ... being at home and in the presence of all the so-called "ghosts and greats" can be mentally overbearing for some of these guys - in a playoff game. I know damn well the Giants feared nothing and no one, the last two playoff games they played there. They probably had all the confidence in the world, and why not? Pressure wasn't on them, one bit. They could have sucked on lolipops, played hopscotch and done jumping jacks for 3 hours - they were winning those games and they knew it. The pressure was on the Packers entirely and we all know how that ended.

Personally, I'd prefer being on the road. I'd like another shot at the 49ers in San Fran. We're due against that team.

I don´t think playing at Lambeau Field results in a disadvantage for the Packers. They´ve lost some games there in the playoffs because they´ve played some pretty good teams. It´s not that easy getting road wins in the playoffs either. Aside of the magical run in 2010 we haven´t won a road playoff game since 1997.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Have to disagree with you. Lambeau is a tough place to play for other teams. The Packers have a fantastic home record in recent years even including the playoff loses. I'd appoint the playoff loses to simply playing better teams.

I'd especially take playing at Lambeau over playing in Seatlle or New Orleans. Tough for anyone to win in those venues. Plus, the 49ers loss at home was much closer than the road loss.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions have been winning with out their #1 WR (which btw is pro top 3 in the NFL)
#1 Rb
and their TE

Yep...I get that... but I stand by what I said. This team could very easily have 3 more loses. It's basically the same roster that lost 6 of their last 8 last year. They really and truly have done very little to prove they have arrived.

Look... we can agree to disagree regarding the "degree of certainty" that the Lions will finish this season like a playoff team should. Vegas and pretty much 90% of NFL prognosticators agree with me on this which is why I think it's funny that some make it appear that it's crazy to question the Lions. It's not...Stafford has not proven a thing. I watched the game Sunday and was laughing out loud as he was sailing balls over receivers heads with the game on the line, just like he's done in the past....but... the fins just wouldn't have it and they kept giving him chance after chance and he finally made one play. It was ridiculous. The Lions will NOT be able to play like that and win the division. It's that simple. Stafford and the offense was very much like they were all of last year in that game!

The offense has to play to the level of a playoff contender. They've proven in the past that their defense alone can't do it alone and I stand by my assertion that their offense is who they are.

I'm way more concerned about the Pack losing games we should win than I am that the Lions are suddenly a proven team. For God's sake, this is a team that barely beat the Falcons. A team that the Vikings crushed. THAT game as much as any this season speaks volumes. The Falcons flat out SUCK.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on their defense, yes. However, until they actually win a playoff game, they're still the Lions. I would have no problem whatsoever, if they win the division and we get a wild card. In fact, I'd prefer it. Where did all these division titles from '11, '12, '13 get us? How about ... nowhere fast! Yet when we backed in, look what happened. The Lions can have the division, I'd rather be a lower seed.
I don't like the idea of GB on the road in the Playoffs,it's too early to predict but with a Wildcard they could still end up somewhere they don't want to be,Seattle,S.F. Arizona, N.O. Detroit,none of those places look as good as home.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never jumped on that wagon,I knew why Denver had no problem unloading Cutler,although better than what Chicago had at the time I am not surprised to see what is happening the last 2 years,Chicago's front office lost all direction and doesn't have the talent they had since the year they went to the SB(and lost)but I do believe the Lions are a team on the upswing and should be taken seriously,pretty foolish to think the Packers are going to win that division every year and obviously some people don't realize the NFL wants parity and some teams get better and some don't,the Lions have gotten better and will be GB's biggest challenge in the division,people can stay in the fantasy that the Packers are going to win the division forever and ever but that is not how the NFL works and I can't understand how some can't see that the gap between GB and Detroit has narrowed.

Sooo... the reason you think we should take the Lions more seriously is because "It's pretty foolish to think the Packers are going to win that division every year". Not even sure what that means. There have been about 20 times the past 40 years that I picked the Packers to NOT win the division. No clue where that even comes from. I'm not a homer. I tell it like it is and I often have picked the Packers to lose.

.... and "You can't understand how some can't see that the gap between GB and Detroit has narrowed"?
Really? That is exactly my point. Show me the money. Where are they any different? Please explain. What do you see that makes you believe they are really ready for prime time? How are they really different this year?

Care to explain how this years Lions roster closes the gap to the Packers roster from last year? I'll take it one step further. I suspect the Lions are one off season away, with a couple certain major free agent losses, from being three solid rungs below the Pack again. The Packers are set up better than the Lions for next season as well.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:whistling: I still rate the Lions

That's fine. You're not alone in Packer land where it's often en vogue and assumed "forward thinking" to anoint our division opponents before they deserve it. The rest of the world deals in facts and is waiting for more proof like me however...

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
13/2
Lions 18/1

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
16/5 (1st Tied With Seattle)
Lions 9/1 (6th)

ESPN Power Rankings Week 11
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/11
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/15122/packers-leapfrog-lions-in-power-rankings

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense has to play to the level of a playoff contender. They've proven in the past that their defense alone can't do it alone and I stand by my assertion that their offense is who they are.

Just want to point out that the Lions are currently fielding one of the best defenses in the NFL and what they've done in the past has no bearing on this season. Lions are currently tied for first in yards per offensive play allowed by the defense, third in net yards per pass attempt, tied for first in rush yards per attempt and first in point allowed. The offense doesn't have to be stellar for that defense to win games. I'm not going to say that the Lions are definitely better than the Packers but any team with a great defense and an above-average offense (so long as Calvin is in there) is a threat to go pretty far in the playoffs.

I would also point out that it appears as though the Packers also have a slightly more difficult upcoming schedule. Prior to Palmer's injury I wouldn't necessarily have thought that but the Lions "on paper" tough games are the Pats and Packers. Packers have to play Eagles, Pats and Lions (I'd also say that the Packers at Buffalo will be tougher than all but two upcoming Lions games).

The above becomes important because the Lions and Packers will most likely have the same record within division if the Packers beat the Lions in the final week and the Lions have a better conference record since they only have one conference loss vs the Packers' three.

Last edited:
OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sooo... the reason you think we should take the Lions more seriously is because "It's pretty foolish to think the Packers are going to win that division every year". Not even sure what that means. There have been about 20 times the past 40 years that I picked the Packers to NOT win the division. No clue where that even comes from. I'm not a homer. I tell it like it is and I often have picked the Packers to lose.

.... and "You can't understand how some can't see that the gap between GB and Detroit has narrowed"?
Really? That is exactly my point. Show me the money. Where are they any different? Please explain. What do you see that makes you believe they are really ready for prime time? How are they really different this year?

Care to explain how this years Lions roster closes the gap to the Packers roster from last year? I'll take it one step further. I suspect the Lions are one off season away, with a couple certain major free agent losses, from being three solid rungs below the Pack again. The Packers are set up better than the Lions for next season as well.

The change doesn't necessarily have to be in personnel. They made the biggest change at the top, with Jim Caldwell, a proven winner. The Lions were always talented, but how many times would they blow games on penalties? How many seasons did they get in a losing streak that they couldn't recover from? How many close games have they blown the past few years when they should have won? Caldwell brings stability and confidence, something Schwartz never did. That's part of the reason they're winning all of these close games..

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to point out that the Lions are currently fielding one of the best defenses in the NFL and what they've done in the past has no bearing on this season. Lions are currently tied for first in yards per offensive play allowed by the defense, third in net yards per pass attempt, tied for first in rush yards per attempt and first in point allowed. The offense doesn't have to be stellar for that defense to win games. I'm not going to say that the Lions are definitely better than the Packers but any team with a great defense and an above-average offense (so long as Calvin is in there) is a threat to go pretty far in the playoffs.

I would also point out that it appears as though the Packers also have a slightly more difficult upcoming schedule. Prior to Palmer's injury I wouldn't necessarily have thought that but the Lions "on paper" tough games are the Pats and Packers. Packers have to play Eagles, Pats and Lions (I'd also say that the Packers at Buffalo will be tougher than all but two upcoming Lions games).

The above becomes important because the Lions and Packers will most likely have the same record within division if the Packers beat the Lions in the final week and the Lions have a better conference record since they only have one conference loss vs the Packers' three.

The Lions had a fantastic defense last season. That's not new. Again, how many times have I said it, yes they "could" be there and yes they "could" win it if the Packers slip up. Yes Calvin Johnson is the best in the NFL IMO and yes Matt Stafford is a decent QB.

Vegas gets it however. 16/5 (Pack) verses 9/1 (Lions) to win the NFC. There's a damn good reason for that. Vegas understands that a teams history and past results and actually looking closely at roster variables is what matters.

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
13/2
Lions 18/1

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
Lions 9/1 (6th)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That's fine. You're not alone in Packer land where it's often en vogue and assumed "forward thinking" to anoint our division opponents before they deserve it. The rest of the world deals in facts and is waiting for more proof like me however...

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
13/2
Lions 18/1

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
Lions 9/1 (6th)

ESPN Power Rankings Week 11
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/11
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/15122/packers-leapfrog-lions-in-power-rankings

You are so easy to wind up....lol ;)

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The change doesn't necessarily have to be in personnel. They made the biggest change at the top, with Jim Caldwell, a proven winner. The Lions were always talented, but how many times would they blow games on penalties? How many seasons did they get in a losing streak that they couldn't recover from? How many close games have they blown the past few years when they should have won? Caldwell brings stability and confidence, something Schwartz never did. That's part of the reason they're winning all of these close games..

...and again...I agree. Schwartz was a complete nightmare coach for that team. I agree, Caldwell is a better coach and it will help. ... but to think a coach gets them 4,5, ..what 6 wins? That's fan speak. That's not reality.

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
Lions 9/1 (6th)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

touché :laugh:. I only answer to William usually when I`m in the poop with my Mom....lol

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions defense has mostly been legit except for their Dbacks. The offense has been legit for years. The only thing that wasn't legit was the coaching and team mentality. They seem to have corrected that with the switch to Cadwell. They are a good team no matter how you win games. They are winning games with a top10 QB, the #1 WR, and the #1 defensive line in football. That's generally the recipe.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I see a 7-2 record vs. a 6-3 record and one of those wins came against GB.you are acting like it's guaranteed the Pack will win that division this year and next year although with more cap room than Detroit GB's FA's include Cobb,, Bulaga and Raji among others,and look at last year, a injury or two and they only won the division by 1/2 a game.And GB is fully capable of laying a stinker yet and lose a game they shouldn't,lets hope the Lions do too.

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a 7-2 record vs. a 6-3 record and one of those wins came against GB.you are acting like it's guaranteed the Pack will win that division this year and next year although with more cap room than Detroit GB's FA's include Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga and Raji among others,and look at last year, a injury or two and they only won the division by 1/2 a game.And GB is fully capable of laying a stinker yet and lose a game they shouldn't,lets hope the Lions do too.

All the reports I read indicate Ndamukong Suh is very likely done in Detroit. You tell me, where is that defense without him?

No, I would not "guarantee" the Packers will win the division. Like Vegas however, if I had 200 million dollars to bet one way or another, I would pick the Pack.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... GB's FA's include Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga and Raji among others...
Thankfully, Nelson signed a contract in July which expires after the 2018 season. IMO Raji, at this point, is hardly worth mentioning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts