It's time to acknowledge that the Lions are for real

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the reports I read indicate Ndamukong Suh is very likely done in Detroit. You tell me, where is that defense without him?

No, I would not "guarantee" the Packers will win the division. Like Vegas however, if I had 200 million dollars to bet one way or another, I would pick the Pack.
Where is that defense without Suh?still better than GB's,one good game against da Bears is not much to hang your hat on.and GB has yet to have a "statement win"this season,anything can happen the next seven games but I still believe Detroit will be GB's toughest opponent in that division,Minnesota and Chicago are not even close.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thankfully, Nelson signed a contract in July which expires after the 2018 season. IMO Raji, at this point, is hardly worth mentioning.
Yeah I failed to mention that,TT nailed it on that move,the season Nelson is having,wouldn't want to pay him after the season,Bulaga and Raji may be gone next year,TT has learned to not hold oft injured players like Bulaga and Raji was given a 1 year last chance to prove himself contract before he got injured.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers could have lost vs miami and would be 2 games back

We will see if the lions fall or stay steady
It will be an interesting 7 games,starting last year after AR got hurt I haven't seen it this close for some time.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is that defense without Suh?still better than GB's,one good game against da Bears is not much to hang your hat on.and GB has yet to have a "statement win"this season,anything can happen the next seven games but I still believe Detroit will be GB's toughest opponent in that division,Minnesota and Chicago are not even close.

...and the Lions? What have they done ever under Stafford's tenure or that amazing defense's tenure that would make you think they are all that? What "statement win" would you hang your hat on with them? I wouldn't say the Pack because we have laid some stinkers up there and that was no shocker. I have no doubt we'll beat them at home.

We have a Super Bowl winning QB with a team that's proven they know how to win this division. The Lions have a great defense and the same roster they've had that couldn't do it in the past. Sorry...that's just a fact.

Like LTF said, we shall see. I'd like to point out that I was also told - 1. Cam Newton was a beast to be feared earlier this season when he did nothing more at that point than have a couple decent games. Where are they now and how did that game turn out when we played them? 2. Jay Cutler was going to destroy this division now that he "had all these great weapons". We know how that turned out don't we?

...and on and on and on... this latest "Ya, well, the Lions now have a coach that will take them to the promise land" is just the latest in a long LONG list of emotionally based fan buzz and hyperbole. It's the Packs division to lose.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and the Lions? What have they done ever under Stafford's tenure or that amazing defense's tenure that would make you think they are all that? What "statement win" would you hang your hat on with them? I wouldn't say the Pack because we have laid some stinkers up there and that was no shocker. I have no doubt we'll beat them at home.

We have a Super Bowl winning QB with a team that's proven they know how to win this division. The Lions have a great defense and the same roster they've had that couldn't do it in the past. Sorry...that's just a fact.

Like LTF said, we shall see. I'd like to point out that I was also told - 1. Cam Newton was a beast to be feared earlier this season when he did nothing more at that point than have a couple decent games. Where are they now and how did that game turn out when we played them? 2. Jay Cutler was going to destroy this division now that he "had all these great weapons". We know how that turned out don't we?

...and on and on and on... this latest "Ya, well, the Lions now have a coach that will take them to the promise land" is just the latest in a long LONG list of emotionally based fan buzz and hyperbole. It's the Packs division to lose.
Detroit had a statement win already this year...the Packers, don't get me wrong , the Lions have had their share of luck this year and it seems the luck continues next week when they face the Cards without Carson Palmer,but then comes New England,that is when we will see if the Lions are for real or not.GB may be lucky too that Foles is out but their chance for that "statement win" will come against N.E. the Pats loom large for GB and Detroit,could be the difference in who wins the North.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Panthers don't have a O-line,Newton is taking a beating this year,had trouble getting up out of the huddle Monday night

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One good game against Chicago isn't much, but two good games agaisnt them, one against Minnesota, one agaisnt Detroit, and one against Carolina is a lot of good to go off of.

With average games against the Jets and Dolohins they've only had two poor defensive games out of nine. Lot more to hang a hat on than just the one Bears game.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers don't have a O-line,Newton is taking a beating this year,had trouble getting up out of the huddle Monday night

...but do you remember being told how Cam was going to run wild on us and a certain TE would beat us? Cuz...I do.

Now fast forward a month and the game was a nothing game. See what I'm saying? lol

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

...but do you remember being told how Cam was going to run wild on us and a certain TE would beat us? Cuz...I do.

Now fast forward a month and the game was a nothing game. See what I'm saying? lol

You`re doing it again :rolleyes:. Drop the subject of the TE please ;). Olsen was their most productive player against us on the day if I remember correctly ?

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Isn't amazing what a difference a year makes in the NFL? I thought Newton and Carolina would have gave the Pack a lot more than they did and haven't looked very good thus far.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Still think that the lions are close to an implosion. They have won games due to poor calls, second chance FG tries, and bullsh!t penalties....they have narrowly pulled off some close games as well. All this is bound to come to an end. I see no fairytale / story book season for them. I would love for the season to come down to our final game....with the dome boys playing OUTSIDE at the end of december on our turf. Revenge game to win the division is in the near future. Staffords favre style gun slinging will be his own dagger to the guts to end the season.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I see Detroit finishing at about 11-5. About them winning a Superbowl within this next decade, yes I actually would be able to see that. To the credit of other posters, yes Caldwell certainly is a great coach, his one bad season in Indy aside (he gets a pass for that since he couldn't really control the various things that happened to them that year), he's been one of the best coordinators and coached them well in the opportunity he did get, and Dungy really reared this guy up well.

I think one reason though why myself and a few others are still not drinking Detroit's coolaid is that I and I think a few others aren't quite buying Stafford as an elite QB yet. I watch the guy and I still see tendencies coming out of him that I think are gonna end up costing that team in some big games, aka next two weeks in Zona and NE, and possibly the playoffs as well. I see a better Lions team than before, but I don't know about one that's gonna go over the top just yet.

Obviously too they've got a few outdoor games in some crazy cold left that just may go against them. For example, even if the Bears are bad, if that Dec 21 game of theirs in Chicago ends up with those infamous -20 degree temp with 50 mph winds blowing, that could end up neutralizing their team.

The way their upcoming schedule shapes up here's how I see it

at Arizona (L)
at New England (L)
Chicago (W)
Tampa Bay (W)
Minnesota (W)
at Chicago (W if weather is normal, L if weather is bad)
at Green Bay (L)

I still don't think they're ready yet to win playoff games.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I see Detroit finishing at about 11-5. About them winning a Superbowl within this next decade, yes I actually would be able to see that. To the credit of other posters, yes Caldwell certainly is a great coach, his one bad season in Indy aside (he gets a pass for that since he couldn't really control the various things that happened to them that year), he's been one of the best coordinators and coached them well in the opportunity he did get, and Dungy really reared this guy up well.

I think one reason though why myself and a few others are still not drinking Detroit's coolaid is that I and I think a few others aren't quite buying Stafford as an elite QB yet. I watch the guy and I still see tendencies coming out of him that I think are gonna end up costing that team in some big games, aka next two weeks in Zona and NE, and possibly the playoffs as well. I see a better Lions team than before, but I don't know about one that's gonna go over the top just yet.

Obviously too they've got a few outdoor games in some crazy cold left that just may go against them. For example, even if the Bears are bad, if that Dec 21 game of theirs in Chicago ends up with those infamous -20 degree temp with 50 mph winds blowing, that could end up neutralizing their team.

at Arizona (L)
at New England (L)
Chicago (W)
Tampa Bay (W)
Minnesota (W)
at Green Bay (L)

I have a feeling the Bears will take one of two from them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions had a fantastic defense last season. That's not new. Again, how many times have I said it, yes they "could" be there and yes they "could" win it if the Packers slip up. Yes Calvin Johnson is the best in the NFL IMO and yes Matt Stafford is a decent QB.

Vegas gets it however. 16/5 (Pack) verses 9/1 (Lions) to win the NFC. There's a damn good reason for that. Vegas understands that a teams history and past results and actually looking closely at roster variables is what matters.

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
13/2
Lions 18/1

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
16/5 (1st Tied With Seattle)
Lions 9/1 (6th)

I don't know how else to phrase this but you're completely off on their defense being good last season. This year Lions are first in yards allowed per play. Last year they were 24th. This year's Lions are third best in net yards per pass attempt, last year they were 20th. This year the Lions are the best defense in rushing yards per attempt, last season they were also 20th.

So if, despite all evidence otherwise, last year's Lions defense was "fantastic", what would we call a defense that is magnitudes better in every respect?

While Vegas is very smart, they don't know everything. What were Seattle's odds to win it all last year at this point in the season? That's an honest question, I don't know what the odds were.

D

Deleted member 6794

at Arizona (L)
at New England (L)
Chicago (W)
Tampa Bay (W)
Minnesota (W)
at Green Bay (L)

Stafford is for sure not an elite QB. If he would be this Lions team would be the front runner to win the NFC this season.

I think Detroit will either finish 12-4 or 11-5 (with Drew Stanton at QB I think they have a chance to win at Arizona) so the Packers have to stay close to perfect the rest of the way to win the division. I don´t expect the Lions to win a playoff game either but they will enter the week 17 matchup at Lambeau with a chance to win the division.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
While Vegas is very smart, they don't know everything. .

That's just silly. "Vegas" takes all emotion and say nothing hyperbole out of the equation. That's exactly how they make their money. While there will always be upsets and longshots that hit in the NFL, it's foolish to dismiss the odds.

Vegas never bet on Cutler because they understood there was more than enough supporting data and good reason not to. Vegas is not betting on the Lions (and Stafford) because they understand there's more than enough supporting data and good reason not to.

So how sure are you? If you were forced to pick the Pack or the Lions to win the division, which would you pick?

Reaction score
I was finally able to watch the entire game where Detroit beat Miami on the last drive with :22 on the clock... Sounds familiar doesn't it? This year is interesting because they are actually very good. Their appearance is that of the reciprocal of GB, they're D is the meat and they're O is the mash potatoes n gravy. Were opposite and how our D improves in the next couple weeks hinges on who takes this division. It reminds me similar to 2010.. We need to peak at the right time. By the way, if we go in on a wild card and have to play in Detroit(pending record outcomes) ., they'll be no questions and no excuses who is better this year.. I wanna earn this title... No favors

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just silly. "Vegas" takes all emotion and say nothing hyperbole out of the equation. That's exactly how they make their money. While there will always be upsets and longshots that hit in the NFL, it's foolish to dismiss the odds.

Vegas never bet on Cutler because they understood there was more than enough supporting data and good reason not to. Vegas is not betting on the Lions (and Stafford) because they understand there's more than enough supporting data and good reason not to.

So how sure are you? If you were forced to pick the Pack or the Lions to win the division, which would you pick?
A lot can and will happen and we can beat this to death but Gb did not take care of business against Detroit in the first game against them and until one of the teams on the schedule hands Detroit a loss the Pack is in the rear view mirror,last year it went down to the last game against the Bears and that is what any football fan has gotta love,it may go down that way again but Gb has to take care of their own business and play their best football from here on out to win the Div.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot can and will happen and we can beat this to death but Gb did not take care of business against Detroit in the first game against them and until one of the teams on the schedule hands Detroit a loss the Pack is in the rear view mirror,last year it went down to the last game against the Bears and that is what any football fan has gotta love,it may go down that way again but Gb has to take care of their own business and play their best football from here on out to win the Div.

Agreed 110%! Like I said, I'm actually more nervous about the Pack slipping up than I am Detroit not losing a couple. We gotta take care of business.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
I saw on Reddit yesterday that the Pack control their own destiny...If GB and Detroit both win every single game from here on out and GB wins against them in Week 17, GB gets the North.

I'm not saying that is realistic, but the Pack controls their own destiny at this point :)

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Best front 7 in the League. Number 1 ranked Defense and has been for several weeks, maybe longer. Yep.

Detroit is for real.

Here is a team that knows that the game is won or lost at the line of scrimmage.

I don't care which new wrinkles come into and go out of style. That is a basic truth that will never change.

Having said that, I still think we can beat these guys.

Members online

Latest posts