It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I get the sense that the Packers are just as eager to move off of Rodgers as Rodgers is to move on.

If the Packers are truly all in on Jordan Love, how willing are they to step back and say “ok. We’re actually willing to walk away from the negotiating table and hold on to Aaron for 2023”.

They have already let the genie out of the bottle. Everyone knows they don’t want him. And despite their best attempts to bluff, they aren’t going to keep Rodgers at this point. If they did, talk about a VOLATILE situation for this season.

In my opinion, the Packers really don’t have a lot of leverage. Much better chance that the Packers cave in as opposed to the Jets.

Just my opinion for what little it’s worth.
Now we know Aaron said he knew Friday he wanted to be a jet
then Mark Murphy spoke .. he was speaking knowing Aaron was done. And everyone was all up on arms

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
So the Packers have a quarterback, the Jets really don’t have a quarterback, And Rogers said I want to play for the Jets. So who has the upper hand now?
We hold all the cards. We still have Rodgers under contract for one more year. If the Jets dont wanna give up their picks we will be fine with Rodgers riding the bench.

If Rodgers throws a tantrum and retires we still have his rights.

If we hold on to him his value would continue to go up as other teams QBs might get hurt.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we know Aaron said he knew Friday he wanted to be a jet
then Mark Murphy spoke .. he was speaking knowing Aaron was done. And everyone was all up on arms

Yup, folks throwing shots at Murphy simply have to choose ignorance to not think all sides knew at that time and Murphy wasn’t being crappy or anything to Rodgers.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could have built a war chest of potentially 3 additional 1st rd picks + more along with the 1st and 4th they got from Vegas that would have helped them tremendously in a rebuild scenario had they just moved 12 to Denver last season and cut the cord completely; assuming they would have prolly not won more than 5 games last season with Love starting and had a Top 5 pick this year they'd be in a great place to have bounced back to retake the NFC North and be a contender with a young squad

Instead, they didn't pull the trigger. I believe the main reason was because they were emphatic about giving Jordan 3 full seasons as AR's understudy. Or basically, they chose to follow the Ted Thompson playbook religiously. But now, they expect to still get full price in a trade for Rodgers after a subpar season from the team and Rodgers himself having to deal with an injury/throwing to rookie WRs and journeyman devoid of talent

However, because they can save $25M in dead money by making the trade later instead of now plus they already know who their starting QB is gonna be, the Packers aren't desperate at this point in time

The Jets, however, while having a little bit of leverage considering 12 just made it public that he plans to play for them next season, are highly desperate at this point in time because they don't really have another viable option for a QB good enough to put them into contention

Leverage vs Desperation

The Jets are more desperate so they will eventually give in

I expect Aaron to tell the Jets front office to focus on getting Davante Adams and letting this play out post-draft; on draft day the Jets-Raiders will make a splash trade and Rodgers will be somewhere smiling like a Cheshire cat-the Packers will get a 1st and a 5th in '24 plus a 3rd and a 4th in '25 without any players/eating any of 12's salary for the Jets to have full rights to Aaron, and they will set it up so that the deal will get done as to allow the Packers to move his dead money around over two seasons/still pick up Love's 5th-year option and have some cap relief

All this being said, as a fan I'm really not happy about any of this because it's proving how incompetent/petty the GB front office is. They could have handled all of this more efficiently by being straight up with Aaron on what their intermediate/future plans were and being more realistic by just stinking last season instead of dragging all of this out for the sake of being prudent/stubborn. And if Jordan Love is not at least as good as Dak Prescott out the gate GB is toast...

Reaction score
The Packers could have built a war chest of potentially 3 additional 1st rd picks + more along with the 1st and 4th they got from Vegas that would have helped them tremendously in a rebuild scenario had they just moved 12 to Denver last season and cut the cord completely; assuming they would have prolly not won more than 5 games last season with Love starting and had a Top 5 pick this year they'd be in a great place to have bounced back to retake the NFC North and be a contender with a young squad

Instead, they didn't pull the trigger. I believe the main reason was because they were emphatic about giving Jordan 3 full seasons as AR's understudy. Or basically, they chose to follow the Ted Thompson playbook religiously. But now, they expect to still get full price in a trade for Rodgers after a subpar season from the team and Rodgers himself having to deal with an injury/throwing to rookie WRs and journeyman devoid of talent

However, because they can save $25M in dead money by making the trade later instead of now plus they already know who their starting QB is gonna be, the Packers aren't desperate at this point in time

The Jets, however, while having a little bit of leverage considering 12 just made it public that he plans to play for them next season, are highly desperate at this point in time because they don't really have another viable option for a QB good enough to put them into contention

Leverage vs Desperation

The Jets are more desperate so they will eventually give in

I expect Aaron to tell the Jets front office to focus on getting Davante Adams and letting this play out post-draft; on draft day the Jets-Raiders will make a splash trade and Rodgers will be somewhere smiling like a Cheshire cat-the Packers will get a 1st and a 5th in '24 plus a 3rd and a 4th in '25 without any players/eating any of 12's salary for the Jets to have full rights to Aaron, and they will set it up so that the deal will get done as to allow the Packers to move his dead money around over two seasons/still pick up Love's 5th-year option and have some cap relief

All this being said, as a fan I'm really not happy about any of this because it's proving how incompetent/petty the GB front office is. They could have handled all of this more efficiently by being straight up with Aaron on what their intermediate/future plans were and being more realistic by just stinking last season instead of dragging all of this out for the sake of being prudent/stubborn. And if Jordan Love is not at least as good as Dak Prescott out the gate GB is toast...
I agree much of that. I don’t agree that Jordan has to = Prescott in his 1st starting season.

Also we really don’t know where GB’s floor is in trade value. Just because a team “wants” two firsts and a 3rd rounder doesn’t mean they will stop there. I think time is on our side verses the Jets and it’s smart cards to pass on this round and let the hand play out.

The more I hear, the more I believe GB won’t settle for less than a #13 overall in some capacity. That’s really not that much equity imo.
A #7 overall? or a #3 overall? That’s some firepower.

I’m about 75% sure they’d take a #13 and #45 straight up or something similar. I’m also 75% sure NY is wanting to hold onto their #13 overall and the math ain’t adding up.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little off the compensation topic for a second, I have to bring up the comment he made about his legacy. Yes what he said is true, but to have the balls to out loud, say debatably he’s the greatest player in franchise history is a major reason he’s perceived the way he is. His ego was bigger than the team.

It goes back to not showing up to OTAs with a WR room full of rookies, to today say he’s not a victim then proceed to run off how he felt wronged by the franchise. That locker room needed him gone.

The mind set, the morale of that football team will improve greatly. Play should follow more than likely. The fear of making a simple mistake without having your “leader” whine, throw his hands in the air, look up to the sky like a spoiled little girl will be gone.

Jordan Love with how he’s improved the last year undoubtedly has the locker room fired up and rooting for him. They’ll fight for him. I just think that will be a fire lit under the team as they move forward.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It's not official. Not yet. "Talk" isn't worth the paper it's not on....yet.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree much of that. I don’t agree that Jordan has to = Prescott in his 1st starting season.

Also we really don’t know where GB’s floor is in trade value. Just because a team “wants” two firsts and a 3rd rounder doesn’t mean they will stop there. I think time is on our side verses the Jets and it’s smart cards to pass on this round and let the hand play out.

The more I hear, the more I believe GB won’t settle for less than a #13 overall in some capacity. That’s really not that much equity imo.
A #7 overall? or a #3 overall? That’s some firepower.

I’m about 75% sure they’d take a #13 and #45 straight up or something similar. I’m also 75% sure NY is wanting to hold onto their #13 overall and the math ain’t adding up.
NY has to hold onto the #13 pick to use it to nab Tae-without it they won't be able to pry him away.

I wouldn't blink if what we see on draft night is Elijah Moore + Garrett Wilson + #13 for Adams.

The Raiders are cash-strapped plus it appears that McDaniels has rubbed most of the vets on the team the wrong way with how the Carr situation went down...I highly doubt if NYJ offers them that package they don't take it and use the cap to go ahead and give Jacobs a long-term deal.

That's what Rodgers going on McAfee's show today was all about-Aaron providing some PR support to Jets fans while also communicating to the brass "hold the line" on not giving up a 1st in '23 for him. He spelled it out pretty much, between him saying to the effect of the Packers need to "do the right thing" by him and also when OBJ was mentioned he said "anyone would want him..." but then going on to insinuate he has great chemistry with a certain player and he was talked about when the Jets went to see him-anyone with half a brain knows who that certain player was that he was talking about, and to take it even further if I was a betting man I'd put $100 on the recent IG post 17 put out had something to do with Carr and the Saints, so he backtracked with showing fake love for Jimmy G when behind-the-scenes he knows 12 is lobbying to get him in New York to put the band back together...

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NY has to hold onto the #13 pick to use it to nab Tae-without it they won't be able to pry him away.

I wouldn't blink if what we see on draft night is Elijah Moore + Garrett Wilson + #13 for Adams.

The Raiders are cash-strapped plus it appears that McDaniels has rubbed most of the vets on the team the wrong way with how the Carr situation went down...I highly doubt if NYJ offers them that package they don't take it and use the cap to go ahead and give Jacobs a long-term deal.

That's what Rodgers going on McAfee's show today was all about-Aaron providing some PR support to Jets fans while also communicating to the brass "hold the line" on not giving up a 1st in '23 for him. He spelled it out pretty much, between him saying to the effect of the Packers need to "do the right thing" by him and also when OBJ was mentioned he said "anyone would want him..." but then going on to insinuate he has great chemistry with a certain player and he was talked about when the Jets went to see him-anyone with half a brain knows who that certain player was that he was talking about, and to take it even further if I was a betting man I'd put $100 on the recent IG post 17 put out had something to do with Carr and the Saints, so he backtracked with showing fake love for Jimmy G when behind-the-scenes he knows 12 is lobbying to get him in New York to put the band back together...
Please stop. Garrett Wilson isn’t going anywhere. Not to mention the financial hell they’d be in since they’d be on the hook with a portion of ARod and Taes ridiculous contracts.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

now Devante is going to the jets??? lord

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's surprising to me that we have come to this point, and yet there is apparently no real deal that has been hammered out between the Packers and Jets.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little off the compensation topic for a second, I have to bring up the comment he made about his legacy. Yes what he said is true, but to have the balls to out loud, say debatably he’s the greatest player in franchise history is a major reason he’s perceived the way he is. His ego was bigger than the team.

It goes back to not showing up to OTAs with a WR room full of rookies, to today say he’s not a victim then proceed to run off how he felt wronged by the franchise. That locker room needed him gone.

The mind set, the morale of that football team will improve greatly. Play should follow more than likely. The fear of making a simple mistake without having your “leader” whine, throw his hands in the air, look up to the sky like a spoiled little girl will be gone.

Jordan Love with how he’s improved the last year undoubtedly has the locker room fired up and rooting for him. They’ll fight for him. I just think that will be a fire lit under the team as they move forward.
Ehhh...

While I get what you're saying-the "Aaron is a bad leader" narrative isn't valid at this stage in the dance. The reality is Rodgers being prickly and not a trooper ain't gonna mean squat if Love can't measure up/the offense stinks next season. Now if Love can perform like Jalen Hurts/Lamar Jackson/Patrick Mahomes/Joe Burrow/Josh Allen, okay then we can have that conversation.

Aaron is an a hole, but a highly gifted one that to me is the best passer to play in the NFL (if Mahomes stays on his trajectory for another 5 years I'll give him that crown in front of Rodgers) and still a Top 3 talent at the position RIGHT NOW all things being equal. Plus, if he can somehow reunite with Davante as a Jet I would not put it past him to win another MVP as a big screw u to GB brass.

Love as of yet has not proven he can even be a consistently serviceable quarterback in the league, let alone have the ability to carry Rodgers' jockstrap. I hope he's phenomenal, but I'm not about the rah-rah stuff when analyzing this ordeal from a macro perspective and I played ball so I understand what the intangibles means.

Aaron Jones seems like a great human being, but he is too dinged up too often and doesn't make enough impact plays consistently to warrant the contract he has. Period. Love could have the support of the locker room and maybe the young guys will feel more comfortable not having to deal with the presence of 12 and the drama around him. If Jordan isn't throwing darts under duress/putting up 300 yard games that lead to wins all of that other stuff ain't gonna amount to a hill of beans. Aaron Rodgers is a baller, and tbh I'd rather deal with the baller that puts up results than the guy that might be cool in practice to be around but on gameday is a scrub that can't produce...

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's surprising to me that we have come to this point, and yet there is apparently no real deal that has been hammered out between the Packers and Jets.
Do you trullllllly think the 2 teams are so far apart it won’t happen?

The two teams have discussed this since the SB. If they weren’t close at all, do you think Aaron would have said what he did?

This will be done. I am thinking they are trying to find the right “players” to include

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ehhh...

While I get what you're saying-the "Aaron is a bad leader" narrative isn't valid at this stage in the dance. The reality is Rodgers being prickly and not a trooper ain't gonna mean squat if Love can't measure up/the offense stinks next season. Now if Love can perform like Jalen Hurts/Lamar Jackson/Patrick Mahomes/Joe Burrow/Josh Allen, okay then we can have that conversation.

Aaron is an a hole, but a highly gifted one that to me is the best passer to play in the NFL (if Mahomes stays on his trajectory for another 5 years I'll give him that crown in front of Rodgers) and still a Top 3 talent at the position RIGHT NOW all things being equal. Plus, if he can someone reunite with Davante as a Jet I would not put it past him to win another MVP as a big screw u to GB brass.

Love as of yet has not proven he can even be a consistently serviceable quarterback in the league, let alone have the ability to carry Rodgers' jockstrap. I hope he's phenomenal, but I'm not about the rah-rah stuff when analyzing this ordeal from a macro perspective and I played ball so I understand what the intangibles means.

Aaron Jones seems like a great human being, but he is too dinged up too often and doesn't make enough impact plays consistently to warrant the contract he has. Period. Love could have the support of the locker room and maybe the young guys will feel more comfortable not having to deal with the presence of 12 and the drama around him. If Jordan isn't throwing darts under duress/putting up 300 yard games that lead to wins all of that other stuff ain't gonna amount to a hill of beans. Aaron Rodgers is a baller, and tbh I'd rather deal with the baller that puts up results than the guy that might be cool in practice to be around but on gameday is a scrub that can't produce...
Aaron was exactly like Love at the same point

Kids were throwing him the finger
Grown *** men telling Ted , Aaron won’t take us to the toilet bowl

no one knows at all.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was announced Hackett was going to the Jets back on Jan 26. How can Rodgers say he wishes the Packers were up front with him. This has been in the works for a long time.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We hold all the cards. We still have Rodgers under contract for one more year. If the Jets dont wanna give up their picks we will be fine with Rodgers riding the bench.

If Rodgers throws a tantrum and retires we still have his rights.

If we hold on to him his value would continue to go up as other teams QBs might get hurt.
I'm sorry but this is just not happening. There isn't any going back.

Digging in our heels so much that we brought back Rodgers to ride the pine would be far more harmful than just taking whatever is on the table now. You're talking an enormous cap obligation for someone who isn't even going to play for you. You're talking an enormous media distraction and distraction for your new QB. It would be a terrible black eye for the organization and just isn't realistic in any way.

The Jets have no leverage, we have no leverage, and it's in both parties best interests to get something done sooner rather than later.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is just not happening. There isn't any going back.

Digging in our heels so much that we brought back Rodgers to ride the pine would be far more harmful than just taking whatever is on the table now. You're talking an enormous cap obligation for someone who isn't even going to play for you. You're talking an enormous media distraction and distraction for your new QB. It would be a terrible black eye for the organization and just isn't realistic in any way.

The Jets have no leverage, we have no leverage, and it's in both parties best interests to get something done sooner rather than later.
Ooo packers have more. Sure the salary cap is an issue..but if needed I'm sure they can work something to help..

But tell me this is wrong.

Packers have the qb they want.

Jets benched the one they thought they wanted

Aaron said he wants to play for the Jets.

Only really q.b the Jets could grab IF he is available is Lamar Jackson..he isnt even released.

So again how is it both have same leverage

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooo packers have more. Sure the salary cap is an issue..but if needed I'm sure they can work something to help..

But tell me this is wrong.

Packers have the qb they want.

Jets benched the one they thought they wanted

Aaron said he wants to play for the Jets.

Only really q.b the Jets could grab IF he is available is Lamar Jackson..he isnt even released.

So again how is it both have same leverage

Because there is zero bidding war going on currently, the Jets know we aren't going to carry Aaron Rodgers as our backup QB onto the roster with a massive cap hit, and as you said, if we're really being ridiculous, the Jets can always kick the tires on Lamar if they figure they're going to have to give up a lot of draft capital anyway.

We don't have the Jets by the balls. They don't have us by the balls. No one benefits if this drags on forever. Something will get done soon, it will be reasonable, and probably disappointing to many.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because there is zero bidding war going on currently, the Jets know we aren't going to carry Aaron Rodgers as our backup QB onto the roster with a massive cap hit, and as you said, if we're really being ridiculous, the Jets can always kick the tires on Lamar if they figure they're going to have to give up a lot of draft capital anyway.

We don't have the Jets by the balls. They don't have us by the balls. No one benefits if this drags on forever. Something will get done soon, it will be reasonable, and probably disappointing to many.
We will disagree

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will disagree

If we get a guaranteed 2nd in 2023, and a conditional pick that has a very reasonable chance of becoming a 1st (something like the Jets making the playoffs), consider that a huge win, because it would be.

#13 overall has no chance of happening. Unless it's just a swap of #13 and #15.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If we get a guaranteed 2nd in 2023, and a conditional pick that has a very reasonable chance of becoming a 1st (something like the Jets making the playoffs), consider that a huge win, because it would be.
The teams are close..this doesn't get this close if they are far apart.

Jets are stuck..they need a qb whether you think so or not. And they pushed all their chips in in Rodgers..maybe they thought packers were itching just to do it. They found out different

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The teams are close..this doesn't get this close if they are far apart.

Jets are stuck..they need a qb whether you think so or not. And they pushed all their chips in in Rodgers..maybe they thought packers were itching just to do it. They found out different
So what do you think is a realistic return?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts