It's go time!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Shepherd has shown the potential to have an impact as a receiver and returner fans tend to neglect the importance of an above average gunner like Davis.
Shepard needs to show it consistently and Davis needs to get on the field and show us he can still do it and stay there. Neither has won a spot yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Shepard needs to show it consistently and Davis needs to get on the field and show us he can still do it and stay there. Neither has won a spot yet.

Agreed, fans have to realize that Davis didn't miss a single game because of injury during his first two seasons with the team though. Him being labelled as injury prone isn't fair in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Pettine claims he’s trying Gary at different positions, and it sounds like an excuse for lack of real production in the first two PS games. And yeah, they need production from Gary more so than Dexter. Dexter is serviceable for what he’s being asked to do. Gary has yet to show it. That’s been a big disappointment in the PS. Things only get harder from here, and GB can scarcely waste a #12 pick. I see him as a rushing OLB who can provide contain in the run game. Just haven’t seen it yet......

Not just picking on you, but for all those that are ready to write Gary off as a bust, can you at least give it a reasonable amount of time and actual NFL games with starters, before you want to jump to the conclusion that a rookie is a total bust?

Not that it matters, but I am going to try and hold off until at least his first season and probably more.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what Dexter has been asked to do in preseason games but he hasn't looked serviceable to me so far.
From what I’ve seen, he’s GB’s best option at RB3. I’m concerned with his lack of pass catching ability. He was set up on a perfect screen against Baltimore and dropped a perfect pass. Could they have done better in the draft? Who knows. But he was taking reps with the 2nd and 3rd units. I think he’ll be good enough for what MLF needs, especially if he can start catching balls. My concern with the running game is Jones’s injury history.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just picking on you, but for all those that are ready to write Gary off as a bust, can you at least give it a reasonable amount of time and actual NFL games with starters, before you want to jump to the conclusion that a rookie is a total bust?

Not that it matters, but I am going to try and hold off until at least his first season and probably more.
I’m not calling him a bust, and there’s been too much talk of that. I was only commenting on what I’ve seen. We need to give him a season of real action, and even then, account for the fact that he’s a rookie. Anyway, you weren’t picking on me!

H

HardRightEdge

He strikes me as a talented kid, but lacking in the attention to detail and his first reaction doesn't seem to be to look within at what went wrong on a play. I obviously don't know him, but that's the feeling I get watching him. He's young and can prove me wrong.
You gleaned that watching preseason games? ;)
Carson looked more decisive and quicker to the hole tonight, Williams is going backward. Carson has been playing ahead of D. Williams and tonight solidfied that place on the depth chart.

Will they cut D. Williams? Maybe. However, if #1 and #2 are still struggling with injuries they'll have start the season with 4 RBs. Or they can go to the street. Will see if the top 2 get reps next week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Carson looked more decisive and quicker to the hole tonight, Williams is going backward. Carson has been playing ahead of D. Williams and tonight solidfied that place on the depth chart.

Will they cut D. Williams? Maybe. However, if #1 and #2 are still struggling with injuries they'll have start the season with 4 RBs. Or they can go to the street. Will see if the top 2 get reps next week.

Sounds like both Jones and J. Williams are ready to go.

After tonight, I think cutting "Juice" is the thing to do. He hasn't impressed me at all and if they think he has potential, then he should slide to the PS just fine. IMo, he hasn't done anything that would make another team want him. I was excited about him when they drafted him, but so far pfffffft. Keep Carson as your #3.

Ford was the worst of the bunch.

H

HardRightEdge

Sounds like both Jones and J. Williams are ready to go.

After tonight, I think cutting "Juice" is the thing to do. He hasn't impressed me at all and if they think he has potential, then he should slide to the PS just fine. IMo, he hasn't done anything that would make another team want him. I was excited about him when they drafted him, but so far pfffffft. Keep Carson as your #3.

Ford was the worst of the bunch.
D. Williams had a couple of decent runs in weeks 1 and 2, some wiggle and burst. Nothing tonight. Getting tossed off the practice field doesn't help. I liked his upside better than Carson until tonight, and that may still be the case, but you gotta go with the guys who show up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
D. Williams had a couple of decent runs in weeks 1 and 2, some wiggle and burst. Nothing tonight. Getting tossed off the practice field doesn't help. I liked his upside better than Carson until tonight, and that may still be the case, but you gotta go with the guys who show up.

True and taper it with the fact that the 2nd/3rd/4th string offensive lineman looked pretty pathetic tonight. Madison might have lost a spot on the PS after tonight.

Either guy could be your #3 RB and either guy will probably make it safely to the Practice Squad, so either way, we are stuck with 2 sub-par 3rd/4th string RB's.

D

Deleted member 6794

From what I’ve seen, he’s GB’s best option at RB3.

I wasn't able to watch the game vs. the Raiders but Dexter was the third running back on the depth chart by default entering it. He hasn't shown anything to justify keeping him on the roster in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

really only 1 at that point, I hardly watched game 2 :) He just doesn't come across very well to me. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm wrong about a person I really know nothing about. he's very demonstrative with every complaint. If he has a decent run and there's a penalty he wants everyone to know his 4 yard run was wiped out by someone else. If he gains 3 he wants everyone to know he's awesome. He's missed blocks and throws his arms up. He misses a pass and acts like it's not perfect. He can grow up, but he's not impressing me right now at all.

Even last night, tried lowering the shoulder on a DB and was completely re-directed straight out of bounds. and comes right back jaws just flapping and I'm sitting her thinking, that DB won, ****. To his credit, on the next play or shortly thereafter, he showed some nice burst, planted his foot and shot thru a hole. Think it was called back for holding though, but the burst was nice.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point having been drafted in the sixth round this year is the only reason Dexter Williams is the favorite to be the third running back on the roster in week 1.
After watching last night’s “game”, I’m retracting my comment that Dexter is serviceable. Neither Dexter or Carson showed me much. I guess the worst case scenario is they go into the season with Dexter as #3. That doesn’t make me feel very good. Along with ILB, I hope Gluten is looking for a couple of bubble guys who could at least do better.

The RB situation is especially tenuous. With MLF relying more on the run game, and Jones, as good as he can be, injury prone, they need better bodies behind Jones and Williams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, fans have to realize that Davis didn't miss a single game because of injury during his first two seasons with the team though. Him being labelled as injury prone isn't fair in my opinion.
Looks like last night’s game earned him a roster spot. It’s only one game, but he played well across the board.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really only 1 at that point, I hardly watched game 2 :) He just doesn't come across very well to me. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm wrong about a person I really know nothing about. he's very demonstrative with every complaint. If he has a decent run and there's a penalty he wants everyone to know his 4 yard run was wiped out by someone else. If he gains 3 he wants everyone to know he's awesome. He's missed blocks and throws his arms up. He misses a pass and acts like it's not perfect. He can grow up, but he's not impressing me right now at all.

Even last night, tried lowering the shoulder on a DB and was completely re-directed straight out of bounds. and comes right back jaws just flapping and I'm sitting her thinking, that DB won, ****. To his credit, on the next play or shortly thereafter, he showed some nice burst, planted his foot and shot thru a hole. Think it was called back for holding though, but the burst was nice.
The Packers are in big trouble with 1) the 3rd RB and 2) ILB depth. Summers is, IMO, receding. Martinez will be Martinez. But for a group that is asked to do so much - run defend, pass defend, rush the QB - I don’t see much.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree with your assessment. Carson has passed Dexter on the depth chart. Along with a FB, I don’t see them carrying 4 non-FB RBs. Here’s hoping Jones can stay healthy, and Carson can continue to improve. But man was I underwhelmed with Dexter last night.......

And ILB is a glaring weakness. Burks is out, Summers is, IMO, receding. Maybe a bubble trade before the season and give upo one of our many decent WRs (I’m thinking EQ or Shepherd).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers are in big trouble with 1) the 3rd RB and 2) ILB depth. Summers is, IMO, receding. Martinez will be Martinez. But for a group that is asked to do so much - run defend, pass defend, rush the QB - I don’t see much.

I actually think they are in trouble with the whole ILB position, not just its depth. Now maybe Pettine has a plan to rotate Green or Jones in there, but with Martinez really the only ILB with experience left standing, they were in trouble even before Burks went down IMO.

As far as RB goes, I think the wise move is only keep Jones and J Williams. Cut both of the other guys and at least one, if not both will probably be available for the PS. This frees up a roster spot to protect someone more important.

Is starting the season with only 2 RB's smart? Probably not, but I don't really think the options are all that great to choose a 3rd one from. That might come from another teams cuts.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think they are in trouble with the whole ILB position, not just its depth. Now maybe Pettine has a plan to rotate Green or Jones in there, but with Martinez really the only ILB with experience left standing, they were in trouble even before Burks went down IMO.
Hard to disagree. Hopefully Gluten addresses this in the next week.

Any word on EQ’s injury?

H

HardRightEdge

Agree with your assessment. Carson has passed Dexter on the depth chart. Along with a FB, I don’t see them carrying 4 non-FB RBs. Here’s hoping Jones can stay healthy, and Carson can continue to improve. But man was I underwhelmed with Dexter last night....
Speaking of FBs, anybody get a glimpse of Malcolm Johnson last night? He made a couple of really good run blocks and packs a punch. He's been around the block, pun intended, several times since his 2015 rookie year. He caught quite a few balls in college, but ran the ball only once and drew only 13 targets in 6 starts/19 games with Cleveland in 2015-2016. I don't see any tackle stats for him to indicate special teams play unless he was a blocker on place kicks.

If all LaFleur wants is strictly a blocking back, this could be the guy. While I've found Vitale underwhelming, he can run a little and catch a little making that choice more plausible but not certain. I find myself feeling like I'm chickening out with that "plausible". OK, I'll say it. If you want a short yardage blocker then hire the best blocker you can find. None of them cost very much. Maybe then you won't feel the need to play action on 3rd. and 1.

LaFleur probably does need a FB. Kendrics was the only TE any good blocking from the H-back position last season. He's gone. They tried Lewis there briefly but he was a fish out of water, strictly in-line. Sternberger comes in with weak blocking credentials and hasn't been getting preseason work with the concussion to prove otherwise.

Of course, if LaFleur is going to channel his inner McVay he might not want a FB or H-back at all. It is my understanding the Rams used nearly no two back sets last year letting Gurley get short yardage on his own.

But there are 3 FBs in camp so you gotta figure he's looking for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Hard to disagree. Hopefully Gluten addresses this in the next week.

Any word on EQ’s injury?
That would be nice, but who are you guys planning to find at this late date? Morrison-types, bcoming increasing extinct, don't answer the coverage question. If you're looking for a run sell-out defender in base defense, OK. Then bring back Morrison or the like. Those guys are not very expensive.

But a good coverage linebacker in a linebacker body is hard to find under any circumstances. That's why everybody is sticking strong safeties in there in nickel. You get some coverage speed, sideline pursuit, maybe quickness to avoid clean second level blocks, and with the appropirate attitude can jam a hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch the game vs. the Raiders but Dexter was the third running back on the depth chart by default entering it. He hasn't shown anything to justify keeping him on the roster in my opinion.
Agreed. At this point it’s Carson or someone they can find on a bubble.

Either way, it doesn’t bode well for GB’s running attack this year. Better hope Jones and Williams stay healthy and can spell each other. I woudn’t Bet the farm on that, in one of the most punishing positions in FB......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of FBs, anybody get a glimpse of Malcolm Johnson last night? He made a couple of really good run blocks and packs a punch. He's been around the block, pun intended, several times since his 2015 rookie year. He caught quite a few balls in college, but ran the ball only once and drew only 13 targets in 6 starts/19 games with Cleveland in 2015-2016. I don't see any tackle stats for him to indicate special teams play unless he was a blocker on place kicks.

If all LaFleur wants is strictly a blocking back, this could be the guy. While I've found Vitale underwhelming, he can run a little and catch a little making that choice more plausible but not certain. I find myself feeling like I'm chickening out with that "plausible". OK, I'll say it. If you want a short yardage blocker then hire the best blocker you can find. None of them cost very much. Maybe then you won't feel the need to play action on 3rd. and 1.

LaFleur probably does need a FB. Kendrics was the only TE any good blocking from the H-back position last season. He's gone. They tried Lewis there briefly but he was a fish out of water, strictly in-line. Sternberger comes in with weak blocking credentials and hasn't been getting preseason work with the concussion to prove otherwise.

Of course, if LaFleur is going to channel his inner McVay he might not want a FB or H-back at all. It is my understanding the Rams used nearly no two back sets last year letting Gurley get short yardage on his own.

But there are 3 FBs in camp so you gotta figure he's looking for one.
I didn’t see Jenkins last night, but have been underwhelmed with Vitale. They will likely carry Jonees, Williams, Carson and a FB.

D

Deleted member 6794

The RB situation is especially tenuous. With MLF relying more on the run game, and Jones, as good as he can be, injury prone, they need better bodies behind Jones and Williams.

Unfortunately it seems Gutekunst hasn't been able to find a decent third running back despite trying several times. I guess he will bring in another one after players have been cut.

The Packers are in big trouble with 1) the 3rd RB and 2) ILB depth.

I don't believe the third running back to be that important to consider the Packers being in huge trouble because of it. If Jones and Jamaal can't play I don't want any of them competing for the spot to start though.

Johnson played a total of 179 snaps on special teams for the Browns in 2015 and '16.

H

HardRightEdge

Johnson played a total of 179 snaps on special teams for the Browns in 2015 and '16.
Correction to earlier post: Johnson had 2 assist tackles in Cleveland per ESPN, not shown at pro-football-reference, so he's either done some special teams coverage work or tackled a couple of guys after a fumble or interception.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems Gutekunst hasn't been able to find a decent third running back despite trying several times. I guess he will bring in another one after players have been cut.

I don't believe the third running back to be that important to consider the Packers being in huge trouble because of it. If Jones and Jamaal can't play I don't want any of them competing for the spot to start though.

That means Gluten is going to have to find someone during cut downs. Not ideal. And yeah this doesn’t spell doom for the Packers. My concern is with the durability of Jones, and to a lesser extent, Williams. I don’t see Dexter or Tra as anywhere near adequate.

Staff online

Latest posts