It's go time!!!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on the number and extent of injuries. What I always come back to, though, is that those injuries were either to (1) "who's that?" players, (2) players who were replaced with better options, or (3) players who were replaced with guys who had career years. Obviously, room for debate on certain guys/positions, but, overall, it was the definition of "next man up".
Yeah and they answered the bell.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Starks! I don’t think Dexter will disappoint. But I know you won’t believe me :roflmao:
I think Dexter will be fine. He has a case of the yips when it comes to catching the ball. That’s fixable. He’s one strong dude and it was a good and necessary pick.

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
I started combing through headlines to see what young Lbs have stepped up to replace veterans on other rosters. Found Jordan Evans from bungals would be a great addition to the Pack could intice a trade with Davis Or Moore they do need Wr help for first weeks of the season. See the pack released Donnerson not sure why that happened so quickly. Went to family night last yr, kids freaking jacked

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that Izzy Mandlebaum? He's going to make buggarbill box a kangaroo...here's to another season of Indians baseball...I mean...Packers goofball...tell those damn kids to vamoose outta my yard...

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
Is that Izzy Mandlebaum? He's going to make buggarbill box a kangaroo...here's to another season of Indians baseball...I mean...Packers goofball...tell those damn kids to vamoose outta my yard...
So you think your better than me. Ok tough guy get over there and show me how its done. Yeah No. hate Seinfeld

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Dexter will be fine. He has a case of the yips when it comes to catching the ball. That’s fixable. He’s one strong dude and it was a good and necessary pick.

While I share your optimism, not all players end up figuring out how to catch the ball consistently. Hopefully Dexter will and that will add so much more to his game, but there have been RB's and WR's for that matter, that just didn't master it in the NFL. Williams only had 22 catches and a 7.4 yd ave/catch at Notre Dame, so it wasn't really his bread and butter in college as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Found Jordan Evans from bungals would be a great addition to the Pack could intice a trade with Davis Or Moore they do need Wr help for first weeks of the season.

The Bengals definitely wouldn't be interested in trading a possible starter on defense for a receiver the Packers might end up releasing before the start of the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I share your optimism, not all players end up figuring out how to catch the ball consistently. Hopefully Dexter will and that will add so much more to his game, but there have been RB's and WR's for that matter, that just didn't master it in the NFL. Williams only had 22 catches and a 7.4 yd ave/catch at Notre Dame, so it wasn't really his bread and butter in college as well.
Thanks for the ND stats. And yeah, there are active backs in the NFL who can’t catch a football. It sure seems like Dexter is headed for the #3 RB position. Developing the ability to catch the ball would help, but won’t keep him off the roster.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bengals definitely wouldn't be interested in trading a possible starter on defense for a receiver the Packers might end up releasing before the start of the season.

Nobody is trading anything of real value for either one of those guys based on their body of work.

Hard to imagine Moore making the Packer's final 53....Davis is 50-50 at best.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for the ND stats. And yeah, there are active backs in the NFL who can’t catch a football. It sure seems like Dexter is headed for the #3 RB position. Developing the ability to catch the ball would help, but won’t keep him off the roster.

At this point having been drafted in the sixth round this year is the only reason Dexter Williams is the favorite to be the third running back on the roster in week 1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, I am completely unimpressed with any of the back up RB's. There have been a handful of plays in 2 games between all of them that were anything of note and a whole lot of of nothing. I know they aren't with a starting line or QB or anything else, but that's getting to be the norm. Even late in the game they aren't just dominating. Even guys that never make like Crockett seemed to show more than these guys have so far.

and while Dexter may have a couple plays, I just get a sense he doesn't have attitude or work ethic right now to do the little things he needs to do to become what he needs to be to see playing time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So far, I am completely unimpressed with any of the back up RB's. There have been a handful of plays in 2 games between all of them that were anything of note and a whole lot of of nothing. I know they aren't with a starting line or QB or anything else, but that's getting to be the norm. Even late in the game they aren't just dominating. Even guys that never make like Crockett seemed to show more than these guys have so far.

and while Dexter may have a couple plays, I just get a sense he doesn't have attitude or work ethic right now to do the little things he needs to do to become what he needs to be to see playing time.

Agree with this and I have watched other teams in preseason and it isn't like their 3rd and 4th string RB's aren't impressing behind backup O-Lines. Dexter Juice Williams will probably be on the final 53 due to when he was drafted and potential, but he needs to drop the attitude for now and stick to concentrating on playing football. That said, given J. Williams and A. Jones haven't been the picture of health this year, it also wouldn't surprise me if the Packers are keeping an eye on other teams waiver wires.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with this and I have watched other teams in preseason and it isn't like their 3rd and 4th string RB's aren't impressing behind backup O-Lines. Dexter Juice Williams will probably be on the final 53 due to when he was drafted and potential, but he needs to drop the attitude for now and stick to concentrating on playing football. That said, given J. Williams and A. Jones haven't been the picture of health this year, it also wouldn't surprise me if the Packers are keeping an eye on other teams waiver wires.
There's always 1-3 guys added in between cut downs and week 2-3 that were not with the team. I think a RB is likely on of them at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't been able to follow practices and preseason games in-depth like in the past but is there a reason to be concerned about Dexter's work ethic???

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is the first I've heard about Dex having attitude or work ethic issues.
Is this a real thing?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard about Dex having attitude or work ethic issues.
Is this a real thing?

I made a comment about his attitude, so I guess I owe an explanation for my comment. I don't mind a bit of "personality" from a player, but to me you better earn the "show boating" that I have seen Juice do a few times. An example, after a run against the Ravens, that was nullified by a penalty, he jumped up and did the "feed me" Zeke move. Nice run rookie, but too early to start thinking you are Zeke Elliott.

Bottom line for me, stay humble, at least until you earn the ability to celebrate your greatness a bit.

As far as his work ethic, I have no clue.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been able to follow practices and preseason games in-depth like in the past but is there a reason to be concerned about Dexter's work ethic???
it's just the impression I get from his body language on the field. I haven't heard anything, I'm not really following the reports a lot until I can see it. Once I heard boyle and them were lighting it up in practice by one report and the very next one from the very same practice said none of them could hit the side of barn and were very off I figured it's just time to quit listening to people until I can see myself.

He strikes me as a talented kid, but lacking in the attention to detail and his first reaction doesn't seem to be to look within at what went wrong on a play. I obviously don't know him, but that's the feeling I get watching him. He's young and can prove me wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

it's just the impression I get from his body language on the field. I haven't heard anything, I'm not really following the reports a lot until I can see it. Once I heard boyle and them were lighting it up in practice by one report and the very next one from the very same practice said none of them could hit the side of barn and were very off I figured it's just time to quit listening to people until I can see myself.

He strikes me as a talented kid, but lacking in the attention to detail and his first reaction doesn't seem to be to look within at what went wrong on a play. I obviously don't know him, but that's the feeling I get watching him. He's young and can prove me wrong.

Well, unfortunately I get the same impression when hearing reports about Gary. Hopefully he will prove me wrong as the Packers definitely need him to be more productive than Dexter.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is trading anything of real value for either one of those guys based on their body of work.

Hard to imagine Moore making the Packer's final 53....Davis is 50-50 at best.
Agreed on both Moore and Davis. Unless some miracle happens (and that’s what it would take), Moore is out of time. As for Davis, he’s been a one-trick and injured pony for the last few years. Give the ball to Shepherd, who has shown ability as a returner and WR. Seems like a worthwhile risk to take.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed on both Moore and Davis. Unless some miracle happens (and that’s what it would take), Moore is out of time. As for Davis, he’s been a one-trick and injured pony for the last few years. Give the ball to Shepherd, who has shown ability as a returner and WR. Seems like a worthwhile risk to take.

In my opinion Shepherd hasn't shown enough as a returner and especially as a gunner to give up on Davis at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately I get the same impression when hearing reports about Gary. Hopefully he will prove me wrong as the Packers definitely need him to be more productive than Dexter.
Pettine claims he’s trying Gary at different positions, and it sounds like an excuse for lack of real production in the first two PS games. And yeah, they need production from Gary more so than Dexter. Dexter is serviceable for what he’s being asked to do. Gary has yet to show it. That’s been a big disappointment in the PS. Things only get harder from here, and GB can scarcely waste a #12 pick. I see him as a rushing OLB who can provide contain in the run game. Just haven’t seen it yet......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Shepherd hasn't shown enough as a returner and especially as a gunner to give up on Davis at this point.
I’d still go with Shepherd at this point. Davis has had his chances and the injuries are a concern and he hasn’t produced as a wide out. Opinion on this is bound to vary.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’d still go with Shepherd at this point. Davis has had his chances and the injuries are a concern and he hasn’t produced as a wide out. Opinion on this is bound to vary.

While I agree that Shepherd has shown the potential to have an impact as a receiver and returner fans tend to neglect the importance of an above average gunner like Davis.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what Dexter has been asked to do in preseason games but he hasn't looked serviceable to me so far.
I'd agree, it's not serviceable, if it that's all we get, we'll be passing 70% of the time again. There's been more poor play than adequate and very few highlights, though he seems to want to accentuate the meaningless better than marginal plays.

Members online

Latest posts