Is Rodgers All In?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the game, 10 points wasn't enough. But it was not because of Aaron Rodgers and his "missing receivers and tunnel vision" It was more Oline issues limiting the offense and Dillon getting injured, and for some reason they didn't lighten the load on Jones by running Taylor and every time he went out, we stalled and stopped. We made it incredibly easy for San Fran to play defense in the 2nd half of that game.

Rodgers wasn't superman, but he was far from poor in that game all things considered. 10pts wasn't enough, yet it should have been.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the game, 10 points wasn't enough. But it was not because of Aaron Rodgers and his "missing receivers and tunnel vision" It was more Oline issues limiting the offense and Dillon getting injured, and for some reason they didn't lighten the load on Jones by running Taylor and every time he went out, we stalled and stopped. We made it incredibly easy for San Fran to play defense in the 2nd half of that game.

Rodgers wasn't superman, but he was far from poor in that game all things considered. 10pts wasn't enough, yet it should have been.
Ultimately it wasn't.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he will get blamed because he DESERVES some of the blame. What's funny is that you say it's never "The Packers" fault and yet Rodgers is the quarterback for said "Packers". You win as a team and fall as a team. I never said that these losses were entirely on Rodgers, but I sure as hell will give him a bulk of the blame to go along with the others. He's the leader, and it comes with the territory.

Even with the blunders on the defensive side, I noticed you didn't mention how Rodgers threw a boneheaded interception (should've been flagged for DPI) that lead to the touchdown going into the half which made it an uphill battle. When your defense intercepts the ball 2-3 times and you end up punting the ball, you have no excuses, especially for Rodgers caliber. Even then he still had an opportunity to win the game had he simply ran in to get closer, (he could've scored imho it would've been similar to Elway's helicopter against us in The Superbowl.) Was the situation ideal for Rodgers? Absolutely not, but why does everything have to be ideal? Rodgers has been in crunch time moments so why was it he couldn't capitalize.

When your defense holds a team to 13 points you have NO EXCUSES. People want to bring up his stats but if you ask me they're empty calories as they didn't result in points. The stats may show he did well, but by HIS STANDARDS he played pitifully. Missing throws, being tunnel vision and so on. I never said that Rodgers was entirely to blame but giving him a pass for his performance, but when he had the opportunity to stop the bleeding he failed. He's the one getting paid the big money, the FO listened to his demands and caved. ST has always been an issue in the regular season and yet he found a way to get the job done, so why couldn't he this time, especially when the defense that has been our Achilles' heel for years he wasn't able to stop the bleeding?

Fair or unfair, he had two chances to get the job done and failed. Were the situations ideal? No, but does everything have to be ideal in order for you to succeed? Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
Balanced and well said

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care that Rodgers doesn't go to OTAs. He doesn't really need to, he doesn't like playing in the preseason games either. That's fine with me, less chances for him to injure himself. Arguably he isn't always ready for game 1, but arguably he gets worn down by season's end too (see playoff losses). So IMO it's a non-issue.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't care that Rodgers doesn't go to OTAs. He doesn't really need to, he doesn't like playing in the preseason games either. That's fine with me, less chances for him to injure himself. Arguably he isn't always ready for game 1, but arguably he gets worn down by season's end too (see playoff losses). So IMO it's a non-issue.
I agree that Rodgers himself doesn't need the work, the film study, the drills, etc. However, football is a team game, not an individual one. Hard to imagine that working with his WR's, TE's, RB's and OL isn't beneficial to those players, some who will have never worked or met Rodgers. Not to even mention it possibly benefitting Rodgers and the rest of the team as well. This whole mentality of "he won back to back MVP's so he doesn't need the work" is kind of hilarious. They don't award MVP's for the most valuable teammate, the P stands for "player". If it was called MVT, Rodgers wouldn't get my vote, nor would he probably get that many fans or players votes.

Reaction score

I’d agree. Yet we’ve talking about different things.
Putting him (or any starter) out there for multiple preseason games with live contact against opponents is not comparable to OTA’s. I don’t think that a fair example but nice try! Lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like the braintrusts running daycares these days, make 2 year olds sit in a circle all morning repeating the days of the week over and over and over and over and over so they can learn them at 2 and justify their "early learning" costs and attract more parents and in 6 weeks they can tell you the days and the months and everyone claps. When in reality they have ZERO concept of time at all at that age, the work they did with them, though extensive was worthless as the kid still thinks saturday is a tuesday and when they say yesterday they mean 2 days from now anyway. They could have left them alone until they were 6 and the concept of time starts to develop in their brain and they learn it in a day and it's done.

People act as if their aren't mandatory minicamps and an entire training camp and preseason. Could there be benefit in Rodgers going to an OTA? sure, is it likely to be noticeable by September? I have my doubts. I don't think guys like Rodgers, Amos, Preston, etc need to be there at all.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's like the braintrusts running daycares these days, make 2 year olds sit in a circle all morning repeating the days of the week over and over and over and over and over so they can learn them at 2 and justify their "early learning" costs and attract more parents and in 6 weeks they can tell you the days and the months and everyone claps. When in reality they have ZERO concept of time at all at that age, the work they did with them, though extensive was worthless as the kid still thinks saturday is a tuesday and when they say yesterday they mean 2 days from now anyway. They could have left them alone until they were 6 and the concept of time starts to develop in their brain and they learn it in a day and it's done.

People act as if their aren't mandatory minicamps and an entire training camp and preseason. Could there be benefit in Rodgers going to an OTA? sure, is it likely to be noticeable by September? I have my doubts. I don't think guys like Rodgers, Amos, Preston, etc need to be there at all.
Amos, smith, etc arent throwing the ball to anyone.

My stance is ---as much communication and real practice time with NEW wr and te can only help.

He works out with other players in Cali during offseason, wonder if he has anyone come to toss around the football?

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Rodgers himself doesn't need the work, the film study, the drills, etc. However, football is a team game, not an individual one. Hard to imagine that working with his WR's, TE's, RB's and OL isn't beneficial to those players, some who will have never worked or met Rodgers. Not to even mention it possibly benefitting Rodgers and the rest of the team as well. This whole mentality of "he won back to back MVP's so he doesn't need the work" is kind of hilarious. They don't award MVP's for the most valuable teammate, the P stands for "player". If it was called MVT, Rodgers wouldn't get my vote, nor would he probably get that many fans or players votes.

I think J.J. Watt sums it up perfectly.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos, smith, etc arent throwing the ball to anyone.

My stance is ---as much communication and real practice time with NEW wr and te can only help.

He works out with other players in Cali during offseason, wonder if he has anyone come to toss around the football?
and those guys don't know enough for timing to be anything, or communication. They don't know the language yet. Sometimes communication is just talking and takes up time. Sure it could help, I think it's likely just time spent though. These guys have 10 steps to take before they get to meaningful stuff. I don't see much benefit of Rodgers being there for step 1.

Once they cover their early stuff, I bet they get the same amount of meaningful work done in just a couple practices rather than trudge thru the babysteps first. By week 2 of training camp I don't think they're any further ahead or behind because they did or didn't catch from Rodgers in May OTA's.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. Not to mention the film study. How can it not be valuable to sit with his receiving crew and go over film. Talk about what he is doing, what the particular defense is doing and what might happen. I suppose he could suffer an aneurism from using that brain too much?

Not sure what people are afraid of, do we bubble wrap our star QB and use him as sparingly as possible until the season starts? This isn't just about Rodgers learning, this is about his team and more importantly teammates.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is afraid of our QB going to an OTA. suggesting so is kind of ridiculous.

Almost every single person has said they don't think it's that big of a deal. These guys have way too much on their plate in the way of macros to digest to think spending much time with a master on the micros is going to make a big difference at this stage of the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Rams look like they are all in for another SB run. Oh Wow...Matthew Stafford showed up for OTA's. WTF is he doing there, he doesn't need these foolish and pointless drills. Or maybe he feels they are important? Of course Stafford and his receivers all showed up last year for OTA's and the press couldn't stop talking about how good Stafford looked. I think they also won the Super Bowl if my memory is correct?

"Matthew Stafford and Bobby Wagner were among those arriving Tuesday, being the leaders that they are."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good points for both sides.

I think if you ask a new wr or te you would get same answers as we see here

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good points for both sides.

I think if you ask a new wr or te you would get same answers as we see here
Maybe they would privately and off the record. However, my guess is that Packer receivers are very careful what they say and do around Rodgers. The last thing they would want is to be scorned by their QB. Whether fans agree with that or not really doesn't matter, but if you can't see that Rodgers has created some distrust among the Packer fan base, then you probably aren't going to think it effects his teammates as well. Skipping out of things like OTA's really isn't a positive step in building his team mentality back up. If nothing else, show up in street clothes and spend time helping your teammates learn. Afterall, you are being paid $50M/year, wouldn't hurt for you to look interested in your team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree. Not to mention the film study. How can it not be valuable to sit with his receiving crew and go over film. Talk about what he is doing, what the particular defense is doing and what might happen.

The newcomers don't have any idea about MLF's system at this point, it would definitely be far too early for Rodgers to explain them what he might happen based on what the defense is doing on specific plays. In addition at this point Watkins is the only addition to the receiving corps, I'm not sure who else should benefit of Rodgers being there for OTAs.

Right, cause J.J. and Kyler really need to work on a lot of things before the regular season. Important to get that timing down between your QB and DE. :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure J.J. was talking as a leader of their team.

The Rams look like they are all in for another SB run. Oh Wow...Matthew Stafford showed up for OTA's. WTF is he doing there, he doesn't need these foolish and pointless drills. Or maybe he feels they are important? Of course Stafford and his receivers all showed up last year for OTA's and the press couldn't stop talking about how good Stafford looked. I think they also won the Super Bowl if my memory is correct?

Yet Rodgers was the one who won the MVP despite not showing up until training camp. And I'm quite sure Stafford showing up for OTAs back in April last season was the main reason for them winning the Super Bowl :rolleyes: I wonder how Von Miller, OBJ and Eric Weddle were able to make an impact for them as they weren't around for these oh-so important offseason practices though.

Whether fans agree with that or not really doesn't matter, but if you can't see that Rodgers has created some distrust among the Packer fan base, then you probably aren't going to think it effects his teammates as well.

I'm absolutely convinced that the players don't care one bit about some fans distrusting Rodgers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game was played almost exactly three months ago. Weird, because it seems like at least six months. Hard to lose a game when you give up zero touchdowns. Just one more thing from the lasts ten years as a Packer fan that makes you want to vomit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good interview with MLF about the draft class. Sounds like Rodgers did show up for some team stuff and MLF agrees that having him around is a good thing. Maybe he'll show up for a few OTA sessions.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good interview with MLF about the draft class. Sounds like Rodgers did show up for some team stuff and MLF agrees that having him around is a good thing. Maybe he'll show up for a few OTA sessions.

The energy he brings

Love it

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carpenter moving to ILB room. My guy Tre Sterling is hopefully good enough to help safety depth.

Reaction score
Maybe between the QB Coaching switch and a slew of new and untested Receivers gave Rodgers some extra incentive this season. While I realize showing up to work on a day off is not a requirement, there are occasions where it’s just the right thing to do. That small, extra effort can really be a motivating factor for everyone,, Coaches included

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts