Is Rodgers All In?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to many he wasn’t all in last year and he was the MVP. All those questioning his commitment based on the belief he has to practice with rookies that will be literally learning a brand new offense are a little silly. Why does Rodgers need to be there while a rookie is running the wrong routes and not understanding the audibles?

How bout this. I GUARANTEE that Rodgers will be throwing the ball where he’s supposed to be when the season starts. That’s what his job is. If the receiver goes to the wrong spot? That’s on the receiver and Rodgers throwing the ball more often in practice isn’t going to change that.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
According to many he wants all in last year and he was the MVP. All those questioning his commitment based on the belief he has to practice with rookies that will be literally learning a brand new offense are a little silly. Why does Rodgers need to be there while a rookie is running the wrong routes and not understanding the audibles?

How bout this. I GUARANTEE that Rodgers will be throwing the ball where he’s supposed to be when the season starts. That’s what his job is. If the receiver goes to the wrong spot? That’s on the receiver and Rodgers throwing the ball more often in practice isn’t going to change that.
Couldnt it be more than just throwing a ball? What about building chemistry. What about him helping the new wr along.

Look.

I really dont care if misses these for himself.. He doesnt need the work..hell....he prob never needs any practice.

But there is more to just throwing the ball to a spot. And you must know that.

Someone mentioned Brady missed otas.

At tampa, Brady met his NEW teamates at a high school to run routes and the 2nd year his coach told him not to show up

You are right..rodgers will throw where it is suppose to go, and gets pissed at the ones that miss their spots.

With all the new ones showing up this year the extra time wont hurt.. He is smarter than the coaches. Any extra time with NEW players helps.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bout this. I GUARANTEE that Rodgers will be throwing the ball where he’s supposed to be when the season starts. That’s what his job is.
I think his job is to hit the open receiver right place or not. I just do not agree that it is all timing. Not every play can be timed to a spot. The QB needs to adjust sometimes. Rodgers could do a little more of that imo. It's not a computer game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his job is to hit the open receiver right place or not. I just do not agree that it is all timing. Not every play can be timed to a spot. The QB needs to adjust sometimes. Rodgers could do a little more of that imo. It's not a computer game.

I don’t believe adjusting routes on the fly, while guys are moving at full speed and angry refrigerators are trying to kill you, is something that should be counted on. QBs get rid of the ball so quickly in today’s game they don’t have the time to figure out where a guy has gone most of the time; they read the defense and that means they throw the ball to a location because that guy’s open. I don’t think 2.5 seconds is enough time to look around for a receiver. Could be wrong though, in which case Rodgers should get a silk scarf so he doesn’t rub his neck raw looking for where to throw the ball.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t believe adjusting routes on the fly, while guys are moving at full speed and angry refrigerators are trying to kill you, is something that should be counted on. QBs get rid of the ball so quickly in today’s game they don’t have the time to figure out where a guy has gone most of the time; they read the defense and that means they throw the ball to a location because that guy’s open. I don’t think 2.5 seconds is enough time to look around for a receiver. Could be wrong though, in which case Rodgers should get a silk scarf so he doesn’t rub his neck raw looking for where to throw the ball.
I've been hearing for a long time now how Rodgers holds on to the ball too long (which I don't agree with). Maybe not so much last year. He also has always used his legs and that ability to get out of the pocket w/o getting tackled. He can still scramble around in the pocket pretty well. Just saying he is not always just throwing to a space. A timing play, and it looks good...throw it. If not; he has to look around. For a player. Not just at other pieces of dirt. :)

Reaction score
As the thread primary article stated, this year will be different than almost any season I can think of for several reasons. Thus imo Rodgers should pick and choose which seasons need more attention.

2022 is going to commence with lots of changes on Offense in particular. If we were returning all but a couple of O parts, then I’d be neutral on the idea. That’s not the case here.

2021 was an offseason cluster. Threats of retirement, potential trades to other teams, internal conflicts that were publicized, holfing the draft hostage by NOT making a quick public statement to clear things up and holding out until the 11th hour. I don’t remember a season in 50 years with more drama at QB in GB

I fully realize that these programs are voluntary. Yet Aaron Rodgers needs to put to bed the negativity from last year and start the season on a positive note. The GBP showed their commitment once again by paying the man record breaking $$ and allowing him to partake in player interviews. If there was ever a Time to respond in kind this would be the one. Even if it’s a “compromise” and he shows up mid- OTA’s, when the Rubber meets the Road type week. It would be a MASSIVE move forward in the right direction.

Last edited:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team would undoubtedly be better if Rodgers was there. Just building relationships and a little bit of chemistry would go a long way into just getting down to business come TC.

That said I wouldn’t show up to OTAs if I was Rodgers either. He’s old now and probably tired. He doesn’t need the mental preparation that comes with OTAs.

From the Packers perspective they need to give Love all the reps they can anyway they can.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The team would undoubtedly be better if Rodgers was there. Just building relationships and a little bit of chemistry would go a long way into just getting down to business come TC.

That said I wouldn’t show up to OTAs if I was Rodgers either. He’s old now and probably tired. He doesn’t need the mental preparation that comes with OTAs.

From the Packers perspective they need to give Love all the reps they can anyway they can.
Lol, well I can definitely say someone with your attitude would not be on my payroll if I were Gutekunst. OTA's include no practices. It is mental preparation for the team. If a 38 year old is too tired for OTA's, his off season activities need to be dialed back. With significant changes in offensive personnel, his teammates NEED him there.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first OTA will be before the draft. After the draft I hope Rodgers attends OTAs because he will have new guys to bond with. I'm not concerned about him bonding with Sammy Watkins during the first ones.

Reaction score
The more I consider this topic. There’s primarily two kinds of fans here with very few in between.

There are those fans that expect our QB to be actively involved in getting this season off on a good footing after Terrible Bookend games for the Packers in 2021.

Plus those that are dismissing or making preliminary excuses ahead of time because they already know #12 won’t show. Capitulating is the term coming to mind.

It would be nice for once to just have #12 go above and beyond to show his loyalty and determination in action, not words. Don’t tell us that you love “the fans and the organization” and then be the last one to the party. If you truly love someone, you show up for them. I’d even argue you are eager to be there earlier than later.

I sure don’t feel loved! :cry::tdown::sneaky:
I wonder if this is how Danica felt?:whistling:

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't expect any veterans to show....but I'm telling you what Rodgers showing up to voluntary practices would set a tone unlike anyone else rolling in. Not too mention, even if a miniscule effect would make Gute think of weapons possibly more on draft day LOL (very small I know but go with me).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some believe Aaron Rodgers is going to spend time being a receivers coach at OTAs and some believe he’ll be in the QB room. Again, not Rodgers job (nor should it be) to be coaching rookies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been hearing for a long time now how Rodgers holds on to the ball too long (which I don't agree with). Maybe not so much last year. He also has always used his legs and that ability to get out of the pocket w/o getting tackled. He can still scramble around in the pocket pretty well. Just saying he is not always just throwing to a space. A timing play, and it looks good...throw it. If not; he has to look around. For a player. Not just at other pieces of dirt. :)

Then how is going to OTAs going to help? Is practicing with rookies going to help Rodgers look around better?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some believe Aaron Rodgers is going to spend time being a receivers coach at OTAs and some believe he’ll be in the QB room. Again, not Rodgers job (nor should it be) to be coaching rookies.

Not his direct job, but his role as the teams unquestioned leader i say it isn’t wrong to say it is a responsibility when he is there.

I just cannot help but imagine the powerful message it would send if he showed up…talk about setting a precedent to the rest of the team and staff. Again I cannot stress enough a veteran of his stature shouldn’t and doesn’t have to come…but damn that message would be special

Reaction score
Then how is going to OTAs going to help? Is practicing with rookies going to help Rodgers look around better?
The time spent should be to get an early start recognizing responsibilities and gaining trust. #12 is at the nucleus of that formula. Wouldn’t it be prudent to have the Captain of the team present if there’s 3-4 new Receivers on the Roster?

I’d agree with you more if #12 had
5 of 6 WR returning from last year where there’s continuity from one season to the next and they can pick up where they left off quickly.
That’s not the case here, it’s the biggest turnover in his career at WR and imperative we get them up to speed and do it hastily.

It’s called being a leader and showing up when there is a big turnover in his department. After all the tension he’s sparked and the FO showing their commitment to him being their guy? #12 needs to be proactive and display better commitment than just words.

Maybe if he had an infant child or severely sick family member, just married a few weeks ago? Ok I get it then, I’d be a more understanding in 2022

This year is not like any year we can remember imo. It’s time to take it to the next level. It’s not meant as punishment, this is important to his success.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The time spent should be to get an early start recognizing responsibilities and gaining trust. #12 is at the nucleus of that formula. Wouldn’t it be prudent to have the Captain of the team present if there’s 3-4 new Receivers on the Roster?

I’d agree with you more if #12 had
5 of 6 WR returning from last year where there’s continuity from one season to the next and they can pick up where they left off quickly.
That’s not the case here, it’s the biggest turnover in his career at WR and imperative we get them up to speed and do it hastily.

It’s called being a leader and showing up when there is a big turnover in his department. After all the tension he’s sparked and the FO showing their commitment to him being their guy? #12 needs to be proactive and display better commitment than just words.

Maybe if he had an infant child or severely sick family member, just married a few weeks ago? Ok I get it then, I’d be a more understanding in 2022

This year is not like any year we can remember imo. It’s time to take it to the next level. It’s not meant as punishment, this is important to his success.

I think most players view this as a job and most fans really overvalue the whole “being there” part. Either way, i seriously doubt Rodgers will be there and it will be just one more nail fans can nail in his coffin if the Packers don’t win the Super Bowl.

Reaction score
I think most players view this as a job and most fans really overvalue the whole “being there” part. Either way, i seriously doubt Rodgers will be there and it will be just one more nail fans can nail in his coffin if the Packers don’t win the Super Bowl.
I didn’t take a survey so I’m not agreeing that more than 1/2 of fans overvalue OTA’s. I’ve seen where more than a few X NFL athletes question Rodgers choices regarding commitment, so no, it’s not just us casual fans. They should know, some played with the guy and many have lived the NFL lifestyle. I think their opinion is weighted more than ours.

I’d say it’s just as much or even more about Rodger fanatics being protective of his personal, poor choices. Almost as if it’s their duty to apologize for him beforehand. I’m not sure what’s worse, the preliminary apologists or the group that questions the integrity of his choices beforehand.
I definitely have my suspicions though.:coffee:

I must not be alone as the survey is a small sample, but it shows that folks are not all in full support of him ignoring OTA’s. This far, We’ve got most saying either he should show… or they’ll at least give him time to do the right thing. I’ll submit that these are Packer supporters too. Imagine the general consensus.

Neither to me means “Neutral” or
2-2

Rodgers should show or we’re waiting for him or neutral=10
Rodgers shouldn’t show or neutral=5

If his fans feel this way? good chance his teammates might also.

just another notch of minor disappointment. Yawn

Last edited:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most Packers fans are incapable of objectively looking at anything from a players perspective.

It’s not uncommon for veterans to skip out on OTAs. Rodgers skipped out last year and won an MVP. It’s not his fault the Packers coaching staff and GM was completely incompetent when it came to special teams every step along the way last year. If they even fielded a mid tier STs unit they probably win the SB easily. Unfortunately poor self scouting, coaching, and personnel decisions doomed the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So during a game when Rodgers is talking to a player after a wrong route isnt his job?

Not trying to be an ***, but what is he and isnt he suppose to do?

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe a lot of fans put way too much stock into offseason practices resulting in playoff success several months later. Heck, close to half of the players participating in OTAs won't even be around once the regular season starts. I'm fine with Rodgers not showing up to voluntary workouts held in shorts and without helmets.

Also fairly certain the workout portion doesn’t even start till next week no?

The Packers aren't allowed to practice on the field until May 23.

While there are some plays Rodgers moves out of the pocket and buys time to find an open receivers most of his throws are relying on timing to be successful.

2021 was an offseason cluster. Threats of retirement, potential trades to other teams, internal conflicts that were publicized, holfing the draft hostage by NOT making a quick public statement to clear things up and holding out until the 11th hour. I don’t remember a season in 50 years with more drama at QB in GB

It wasn't Rodgers who decided to break the news on draft day but Adam Schefter. It seems like you forgot pretty quickly after the drama that happened in 2008.

The first OTA will be before the draft. After the draft I hope Rodgers attends OTAs because he will have new guys to bond with. I'm not concerned about him bonding with Sammy Watkins during the first ones.

Actually the first OTA practice doesn't happen until May 23.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The drama in 2008 involved a an individual who wanted to be Packer and a football player and who turned down a bribe by Ted Thompson to go away. A truly shameful stain on the franchise and the NFL. The drama in 2021 involved an individual who “wasn’t sure” he wanted to be a Packer or maybe even a football player anymore, then played the franchise like a fiddle extorted money in 2021 and MORE money a few months later damaging the franchise for years to come. I predicted the outcome of last years debacle in August - Rodgers folding in the playoffs - failing to be lead the team when it counted most. This year (and next) I forsee a less dramatic failure based largely on growing indifference, the realization of his personal failure and the need to shift blame to others (as he has his entire career). Hope I’m wrong this time.