Is Rodgers All In?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Love or the Packers have anything to do with the $ amount of the 5th year option, it's set by the NFL. The only options that the Packers have is either invoking or not in invoking the option. Love, has no say. Except to accept, sit out/retire.
I didn't know that Poker, thanks. Do we know what that amount is, or is it based on the original contract?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on a bunch of things....this explains it pretty well.

Thanks a lot. I think I remember this coming up with Jaire Alexander and it was confusing to me. If they hadn't extended him with a new contract, the fifth year option was some ridiculous amount. I think that's right but it doesn't seem like Alexander has been here that long. Time flies.

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of good players would have to be cut to cover that, or contracts reworked - which just keeps pushing the matter out. There must be a point where that stops. Or maybe not.

Agreed, Rodgers retiring before the end of his current contract will definitely result in the Packers having to make some moves to make it work with the cap.

And apparently the longer Rodgers plays, the bigger the hit when he finally quits. I don't really understand. If he plays out a contract, why would there be dead money the year after. I'm sure Cap has the answer to this.

I'll give it a try to explain dead money counting against the cap to you ;)

It accrues when a player has received a signing bonus is released, traded or retires before the end of his current. In addition any future guarantees will result in dead money counting against the cap if the player is released before earning them.

The amount is calculated as follows. The signing bonus is prorated over the length of the contract (a maximum of five yesrs though). For example, Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus this season, which will count $8.16 million against the Packers cap in each of the next five years. But, if Rodgers ends up retiring before that the rest of the prorated portion will count against the Packers cap the following season. Once again, for example, if Rodgers retires after the 2022 season there would be four years of the prorated signing bonus left, resulting in $32.64 million of dead money counting against the Packers cap in '23.

That's common with most contracts in the NFL in some way. But here is where it gets tricky with Rodgers contract.

If he decides to play in 2023 he's due a $57.3 milion option bonus for that year. The CBA allows that to be handled like a signing bonus regarding the cap, resulting in it being prorated over the four remaining years of his contract for a cap hit of $14.575 million each season.

Once again, if he retires after the 2023 season the remaining portion of the prorated signing bonus he received this offseason (at that point three years at $8.16 million for a total of $24.48 million) as well as of the option bonus he would have received in 2023 (three years at $14.575 million for a combined $43.725 million) would result in a total of $68.205 million of dead money counting against the Packers cap in 2024.

To make things even more interesting there's another option bonus of $47 million waiting for him if he plays in 2024 as well. That one will be prorated over the remaining three years once again, resulting in even more dead money counting against the Packerd cap in 2025 if Rodgers retires after the '24 season.

That makes sense. It will be up to Love to accept whatever the Packers offer for that fifth year. I'm ignoring the cap implications here, but that will certainly play a role in any decisions.

Other posters already pointed out how the fifth year option works. At more than $20 million for Love next offseason it would be a terrible decision for the Packers to exercise it on him.

As for team front offices, they all know that to stay on the job today, they need to win today, so they risk the team's future to guarantee what they have now.

Too bad Gutekunst didn't think of that during the first round of the 2020 draft.

The NFL seems to be further along the parity road than the NBA and MLB.

You need to understand that the NBA having a soft cap and the MLB not having one at all is the reason for that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't know where this story was fed to me but it's funny - be sure to check out the video from his interview after the game. As for the site itself, I may have a found a new place to irritate Bears fans (fans who really deserve and have earned grief)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. And unless his trade value takes a huge jump, it's better to keep him in 2024 unless his salary demands are unreasonable. I have no idea what he would be worth in a trade today, so can't say what he might be worth in a year or two.

Another part of this is how long Love wants to stay as a backup in GB. If another team wants him as a starting QB, then both the Packers and Love may benefit from a trade. But that would likely be a trade for draft picks.

I just don't see it happening. It's more likely he'll stay IMO.
They would need to trade for a vet qb. Only way I see this working out as a trade.

I like to try and clarify my stance on whole thing..I think others would agree..

This to me is very logical.

I am convinced the dedication Rodgers had after Love was drafted, threw a huge monkey wrench in their plan.

Im willing to bet they felt Rodgers was declining and he had hinted he wanted out..I think they felt 2021 at earliest would be it. Regardless of how social media posters think, for them they needed a replacement for Rodgers, and not a weapon. Even though a lot disagree with it, I think the team was trying to prepare for Rodgers exit.

Gute wasnt trying to force him out, or thought he wanted to be like Wolf or Ted ( theory ive seen on Twitter fb and such)

They did try to move up for a wr in 2020 as multiple reports state that...when it didnt work, they got scared or what ever you want to call it and took Love based on what they saw and what Rodgers was telling them.

And we now know there were huge issues, but at the time not to many knew.

Then Rodgers got a bug up his *** and studied past seasons and what he needed to do to get better. Foot work and new training.

Packers still werent sure if he was going to stay past 2020. So they hung onto Love.. Better to keep a guy that had a year of playbook study, even though he had no tc or preseason..plus, they may have not liked any qb in 2021 draft, or trading for a qb around the league didnt appeal to them.

Then rodgers played lights out again..so now what do you do? Need to keep him but now Love has had 2 years in and they werent going to get a good return in a trade.

So you extend Rodgers and hope Love takes the leap, and he has. Now what? You are in a pickle as Gute basiclly said other day.

Im pretty sure they know Loves thoughts on staying a back up in 2023 and thoughts on 24.. Ive said 5th year many times..I wasnt aware of the money. So im going to say Love gets a new deal.

I know others will not agree at all with this.. But things ive heard and read, using common sense leds me to my "theory"

I dont buy any of they Gute made mistake, he is an idiot, he trying to be a Wolf or Ted.

It was a perfect storm of events

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know where this story was fed to me but it's funny - be sure to check out the video from his interview after the game. As for the site itself, I may have a found a new place to irritate Bears fans (fans who really deserve and have earned grief)

I posted that as well last week when he admitted playing on percs

Think at the time of that interview many here said he was high

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Rodgers retiring before the end of his current contract will definitely result in the Packers having to make some moves to make it work with the cap.

I'll give it a try to explain dead money counting against the cap to you ;)

It accrues when a player has received a signing bonus is released, traded or retires before the end of his current. In addition any future guarantees will result in dead money counting against the cap if the player is released before earning them.

The amount is calculated as follows. The signing bonus is prorated over the length of the contract (a maximum of five yesrs though). For example, Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus this season, which will count $8.16 million against the Packers cap in each of the next five years. But, if Rodgers ends up retiring before that the rest of the prorated portion will count against the Packers cap the following season. Once again, for example, if Rodgers retires after the 2022 season there would be four years of the prorated signing bonus left, resulting in $32.64 million of dead money counting against the Packers cap in '23.

That's common with most contracts in the NFL in some way. But here is where it gets tricky with Rodgers contract.

If he decides to play in 2023 he's due a $57.3 milion option bonus for that year. The CBA allows that to be handled like a signing bonus regarding the cap, resulting in it being prorated over the four remaining years of his contract for a cap hit of $14.575 million each season.

Once again, if he retires after the 2023 season the remaining portion of the prorated signing bonus he received this offseason (at that point three years at $8.16 million for a total of $24.48 million) as well as of the option bonus he would have received in 2023 (three years at $14.575 million for a combined $43.725 million) would result in a total of $68.205 million of dead money counting against the Packers cap in 2024.

To make things even more interesting there's another option bonus of $47 million waiting for him if he plays in 2024 as well. That one will be prorated over the remaining three years once again, resulting in even more dead money counting against the Packerd cap in 2025 if Rodgers retires after the '24 season.

Other posters already pointed out how the fifth year option works. At more than $20 million for Love next offseason it would be a terrible decision for the Packers to exercise it on him.

Too bad Gutekunst didn't think of that during the first round of the 2020 draft.

You need to understand that the NBA having a soft cap and the MLB not having one at all is the reason for that.
Thanks for the clarification on the cap situation with Rodgers. I didn't realize those bonuses were prorated over 5 years to start, then 4 years, then 3, etc.

And I agree a non-negotiable salary of $20 mil for Love is ridiculous, even as a starter. If Rodgers stays past 2023 then Love will be cut or traded and Gluten will have to find another backup.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And I agree a non-negotiable salary of $20 mil for Love is ridiculous, even as a starter. If Rodgers stays past 2023 then Love will be cut or traded and Gluten will have to find another backup.
So you trade him for? At very least it has to be a qb

Or do you draft a new qb..start with new rookie when Rodgers may have 1 year left??

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, you need to remember that Love is currently only signed through the 2023 season. In my opinion, if Rodgers decides to play in 2024 as well I don't expect Love wanting to stay with the Packers anymore.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, you need to remember that Love is currently only signed through the 2023 season. In my opinion, if Rodgers decides to play in 2024 as well I don't expect Love wanting to stay with the Packers anymore.
I believe that the Packers will decide whether or not Love will stay after this season ends. I think it all hinges on how he takes to the idea of an extended contract covering up to five total years, including 2023, at a dollar figure friendly to the Packers. If he doesn't go with it, I see them shopping him around for a pick. I just don't see them letting him walk, after all the investment.

My personal opinion is that what Rodgers does on the field in 2022 will determine what Rodgers wants to do in 2023, and each year will be premised on the one before it. One injury, that shelves him for a couple of games, will probably end the whole thing. I see him playing it out at the end, not unlike Brady is doing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just don't see them letting him walk, after all the investment.
That is why I feel since he wasnt traded this offseason, the odds of him being traded are very low. If they do it has to be for a vet qb...

To much time invested

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Love still doesn't have a whole lot of trade value at this point. He is still just an insurance/marker chip for a Rodgers injury, retirement or trade. If Rodgers stays healthy and Love doesn't see any meaningful snaps in 2022, I highly doubt the Packers exercise Love's 5th year option next Spring. If Rodgers decides to play another season (2023), than it probably will be Loves last season in GB. Trading him before his 4th year is up, probably wouldn't get you enough to warrant doing it, so the Packers let him walk and take whatever compensatory pick in 2024 they get by doing so.

All of the above changes if Rodgers is injured/retires, Love plays and looks like a potentially legit starting QB. Which really was why he was drafted in the first place, a contingency plan, that has always hinged on Love's progress and Rodger's "decline".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Love still doesn't have a whole lot of trade value at this point. He is still just an insurance/marker chip for a Rodgers injury, retirement or trade. If Rodgers stays healthy and Love doesn't see any meaningful snaps in 2022, I highly doubt the Packers exercise Love's 5th year option next Spring. If Rodgers decides to play another season (2023), than it probably will be Loves last season in GB. Trading him before his 4th year is up, probably wouldn't get you enough to warrant doing it, so the Packers let him walk and take whatever compensatory pick in 2024 they get by doing so.

All of the above changes if Rodgers is injured/retires, Love plays and looks like a potentially legit starting QB. Which really was why he was drafted in the first place, a contingency plan, that has always hinged on Love's progress and Rodger's "decline".
Watch..he gets a new deal for 4 years

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it will all depend on if and that is a big if over Rodgers finishing out his contract and possibly career in GB there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that the Packers will decide whether or not Love will stay after this season ends. I think it all hinges on how he takes to the idea of an extended contract covering up to five total years, including 2023, at a dollar figure friendly to the Packers. If he doesn't go with it, I see them shopping him around for a pick. I just don't see them letting him walk, after all the investment.

My personal opinion is that what Rodgers does on the field in 2022 will determine what Rodgers wants to do in 2023, and each year will be premised on the one before it. One injury, that shelves him for a couple of games, will probably end the whole thing. I see him playing it out at the end, not unlike Brady is doing.

In my opinion, Rodgers' decision on how long he ends up playing will ultimately decide Love's future with the Packers.

First of all, as long as Rodgers doesn't retire after this season and Love proves to be capable of being a decent starter in 2022 there is absolutely no reason to exercise the fifth year option at $20+M on him.

There are various scenarios the sitaution could work out.

If Rodgers retires next offseason I would prefer the Packers to handle Love like they did Rodgers back in 2008. Evaluate him for some games and offer him a reasonable multi-year deal if he performs at a promising level. If he doesn't let him walk away in free agency and start over at the position.

If Rodgers plays in 2023 it depends on if Love has played in some games this season and how well he performed on what the team should do. In case he hasn't received any snaps or struggled when he did it would be smart for the Packers to keep him as their backup. If he showed some promise they might be able to get some decent compensation for him in return in a trade.

I believe Rodgers retiring after the 2023 season would put the Packers in a tricky situation, especially if Love hasn't received enough playing time by then. With him being set to become a free agent the team would have to compete with others, resulting in having to pay a significant amount of money to a quarterback they don't know a whole lot about to retain him.

If Rodgers returns for the 2024 season Love will be gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Watch..he gets a new deal for 4 years
You never know. At the right price, it might be good for both parties. Packers get a backup QB that knows the playbook, has been in the system for 4 years and Rodgers potential replacement continues to improve. For Love, it is a well paid gig to carry a clipboard and possibly set yourself up for a big pay day, for a team that is nearing the point where they may need a new starter.
In my opinion, Rodgers' decision on how long he ends up playing {FOR THE PACKERS} will ultimately decide Love's future with the Packers.
Fixed it for you...in Green and Gold

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You never know. At the right price, it might be good for both parties. Packers get a backup QB that knows the playbook, has been in the system for 4 years and Rodgers potential replacement continues to improve. For Love, it is a well paid gig to carry a clipboard and possibly set yourself up for a big pay day, for a team that is nearing the point where they may need a new starter.

Fixed it for you...in Green and Gold
If Love truly believes in himself, he would not want a " well paid gig to carry a clipboard" to be the summary of his career. By year 5 I expect (and I'm sure he does) to be the starter or competing to be one wherever he is.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love truly believes in himself, he would not want a " well paid gig to carry a clipboard" to be the summary of his career. By year 5 I expect (and I'm sure he does) to be the starter or competing to be one wherever he is.
Gotta agree. I think Love, like any other player, wants that shot at proving what they've got. He'll move on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts