Is Rodgers All In?

Reaction score
Yeah I saw he knew that he was misleading everybody

And he was waiting for the follow up questions but they never came
But he had formulated an alternate play call for additional questions. Lol

I told him how to handle this! He didn’t listen to me! I said just pull the old Mr Bean act. What reporter is going to confront you with personal health questions in this scenario? It would be like asking a terminally ill person how their Will & Testimentary was shaping up? Just so insensitive!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If she was a little older, she could have easily been someone I met. Did she spend any time in the Haight-Ashbury region, and wear flowers in her hair?

That was the coolest time in American history.
I agree with that. Off topic, but nothing beat being under 30 in the 60s. Nothing. If you were in Sf in Haight-Ashbury, all the better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly!
What really got me and convinced me Barr purposely meant to injure him was afterwards he later doubled down on foolish. Barr then continued to take media jabs at Rodgers while he was on the operating table. Rodgers was having multiple screws inserted to hold his collarbone together, while Barr continue to harass Aaron.
Barr’s one of the most selfish and immature players I’ve witnessed, bordering on adolescent level

For those that argue that was good football. The ball is already completely out of the picture frame in my freeze frame shot.
Did they call Barr for roughing? That was one dirty play. The vikings never have and never will win a SB. Classless organization starting at the top with the Wilf's. Weird-*** group of ********.

Reaction score
Did they call Barr for roughing? That was one dirty play. The vikings never have and never will win a SB. Classless organization starting at the top with the Wilf's. Weird-*** group of ********.
No he got off Scott free. Barr showed his true colors. Great athlete but poor sportsman. I wouldn’t touch him they’ve got a curse over there in MN it might run off. Lol

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he got off Scott free. Barr showed his true colors. Great athlete but poor sportsman. I wouldn’t touch him they’ve got a curse over there in MN it might run off. Lol
Yeah I didn't think he got called for roughing. And then he was a jerk afterwards. That's the Vikings. That's why they always, eventually go nowhere.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He admitted he played while on percocets..

What game?

Vs bears...he had that knee injury?? Came back and won it? But his interview he looked glass eyed

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gute thinks 2 or 3 more years. And year to year.

So 22 and 23 are probably Rodgers.

2024 could be in question.
which I have said would be Loves 1st year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute thinks 2 or 3 more years. And year to year.

So 22 and 23 are probably Rodgers.

2024 could be in question.
which I have said would be Loves 1st year.

If Rodgers plays in 2023, Love could still be backup. What about 2024 if Rodgers decides to play? It would require a new contract, I think. But what would happen to Love? Gluten seems to be indicating that probably won't work.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers plays in 2023, Love could still be backup. What about 2024 if Rodgers decides to play? It would require a new contract, I think. But what would happen to Love? Gluten seems to be indicating that probably won't work.
It's pretty much up to Rodgers at this point, as long as he produces.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty much up to Rodgers at this point, as long as he produces.
Yeah well that's gonna be one of his "mysteries" every year. I just hope he doesn't play Favre games - a cycle of retiring, un-retiring, rinse and repeat. I don't think Rodgers would do that, but I didn't see it coming from Favre either.

Just win another SB or two and all will be well. Winning does that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Read Gute quote about 24

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all, let's take a look at the dead money that would count against the Packers' cap if Rodgers decides to retire.

For cap purposes, the Packers would actually benefit if he did it after this season as that would result in a cap hit of "only" $40.3 million in 2023.

After that, it's getting significantly more tricky as Rodgers is due a $58.3 million option bonus next year which is fully guaranteed if he continues to play. With that being said, if he ends up retiring after the 2023 season it would result in $68.2 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2024.

It gets even worse if Rodgers hangs up his cleats after the 2024 season as he would receive another option bonus of $47 million to play in '24. That means the Packers would absord a cap hit of $76.8 million in '25 if he plays another three seasons.

In addition to that you need to realize that Love is currently under contract through the 2023 season only, meaning re-signing him would result in an additional cap hit starting in 2024.

As a side note, the Packers could try to recoup some of the bonus money paid to Rodgers if he ends up retiring but I don't think they would stand much of a chance to actually receive some of it.

Yeah well that's gonna be one of his "mysteries" every year. I just hope he doesn't play Favre games - a cycle of retiring, un-retiring, rinse and repeat. I don't think Rodgers would do that, but I didn't see it coming from Favre either.

Rodgers has been pretty clear about not coming back anymore once he has announced his retirement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, let's take a look at the dead money that would count against the Packers' cap if Rodgers decides to retire.

For cap purposes, the Packers would actually benefit if he did it after this season as that would result in a cap hit of "only" $40.3 million in 2023.

After that, it's getting significantly more tricky as Rodgers is due a $58.3 million option bonus next year which is fully guaranteed if he continues to play. With that being said, if he ends up retiring after the 2023 season it would result in $68.2 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2024.

It gets even worse if Rodgers hangs up his cleats after the 2024 season as he would receive another option bonus of $47 million to play in '24. That means the Packers would absord a cap hit of $76.8 million in '25 if he plays another three seasons.

In addition to that you need to realize that Love is currently under contract through the 2023 season only, meaning re-signing him would result in an additional cap hit starting in 2024.

As a side note, the Packers could try to recoup some of the bonus money paid to Rodgers if he ends up retiring but I don't think they would stand much of a chance to actually receive some of it.

Rodgers has been pretty clear about not coming back anymore once he has announced his retirement.
Thanks for the details on the cap implications for Rodgers. My takeaway is that at some point, the bill is gonna come due in the form of dead cap. I assume it would only affect one year - but even if that is true, a cap hit of "just" $40 mil is somewhere around 15-20% of total cap, plus or minus a few % points.

A lot of good players would have to be cut to cover that, or contracts reworked - which just keeps pushing the matter out. There must be a point where that stops. Or maybe not.

As for Love, yeah I thought the Packers commitment only ran through 2023. If Rodgers keeps playing into 2024, then I'm guessing that's the end of the road for Love in GB. I think. :cautious:

And I know Rodgers has said that when he's done, he's done. I think Tom Brady said the same thing, or something like it. And I think Favre made the same "promise". They're sincere when they say they'll stay retired. But when reality hits, guys change their minds. It has to be hard to walk away from the game, especially after so much success.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what, the Rodgers cap hit is going to be enormous.
And apparently the longer Rodgers plays, the bigger the hit when he finally quits. I don't really understand. If he plays out a contract, why would there be dead money the year after. I'm sure Cap has the answer to this. I admit to being confused by the details of the cap system. It's a little Orwellian. "Well we're $10 mil over cap but we'll rework a contract, give a player a huge raise, and then push the actual cap hit out. Then the $10 mil over cap will go to zero." Huh?

Something like that. It's obvious though that this can't go on forever. Well, I don't think it can. So at some point the Packers have to cover the dead cap with a lot of cuts and a pretty big regression in play, right? It sounds like some type of rebuild would then be in order. Ouch.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive said all along they pick up 5th year option, I think they have to do that next year.

If they were not happy with his progress I feel he would been traded this offseason.

He wasnt traded and has shown improvement.. I feel they are at point of no return with him.

3 years on this guy to just dump him next year??? I dont see happening.

He gets re signed or 5th year picked up ( I dont know which one union allow)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive said all along they pick up 5th year option, I think they have to do that next year.

If they were not happy with his progress I feel he would been traded this offseason.

He wasnt traded and has shown improvement.. I feel they are at point of no return with him.

That makes sense. It will be up to Love to accept whatever the Packers offer for that fifth year. I'm ignoring the cap implications here, but that will certainly play a role in any decisions.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's possible that they could also work out a trade agreement with someone for Love, with him having a "contract in principle," which he'll sign as soon as the trade goes through. There are so many ways that these teams and player reps go to create the results they want.

As for team front offices, they all know that to stay on the job today, they need to win today, so they risk the team's future to guarantee what they have now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible that they could also work out a trade agreement with someone for Love, with him having a "contract in principle," which he'll sign as soon as the trade goes through. There are so many ways that these teams and player reps go to create the results they want.

As for team front offices, they all know that to stay on the job today, they need to win today, so they risk the team's future to guarantee what they have now.
"As for team front offices, they all know that to stay on the job today, they need to win today, so they risk the team's future to guarantee what they have now."

Interesting point. All pro-sports have a win-now bias. It affects their decisions and is almost never good for the long-term health of the franchise.

The NFL seems to be further along the parity road than the NBA and MLB. That means if a football team wants to make a real run for a Lombardi trophy, they'll have to sacrifice the future for a window of maybe one or two years.

The Rams did it last year by acquiring Stafford and it worked. I don't expect them to repeat as SB champs, and fans have short memories. Is it worth it though to win a SB? Hell yes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

No...I dont think they trade at all unless its for a vet qb with good experience

That is what I am getting at. They wont trade him for players. They would need a solid vet.

You dont spend all this time with him to just dump woth out return in a qb

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No...I dont think they trade at all unless its for a vet qb with good experience

That is what I am getting at. They wont trade him for players. They would need a solid vet.

You dont spend all this time with him to just dump woth out return in a qb
Agreed. And unless his trade value takes a huge jump, it's better to keep him in 2024 unless his salary demands are unreasonable. I have no idea what he would be worth in a trade today, so can't say what he might be worth in a year or two.

Another part of this is how long Love wants to stay as a backup in GB. If another team wants him as a starting QB, then both the Packers and Love may benefit from a trade. But that would likely be a trade for draft picks.

I just don't see it happening. It's more likely he'll stay IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That makes sense. It will be up to Love to accept whatever the Packers offer for that fifth year.
Neither Love or the Packers have anything to do with the $ amount of the 5th year option, it's set by the NFL. The only options that the Packers have is either invoking or not in invoking the option. Love, has no say. Except to accept, sit out/retire.

Members online

Latest posts