Is Mason Crosby Headed for the Bone Yard?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting to take a closer look at Santos' numbers this season. Out of the 13 field goals he has made only three of them have been from 40+ yards and none of them longer than 47.
Santos had the good numbers last year also. With that feeble Bears offense he just has not had many cracks at it. Think. Crosby had more than half of those 13 attempts in just the Cincy game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone that's attempted one. And NFL.com, ESPN. He's 35th. Get over it
Get over what? That you used "anyone that's attempted one" as your measuring stick? As a GM I bet you would assemble a ton of great players. "This was the top QB last season. He only threw the ball once, but it was completed and for a 1 yard TD. Wait, what? He's a fullback?"

D

Deleted member 6794

Santos had the good numbers last year also. With that feeble Bears offense he just has not had many cracks at it. Think. Crosby had more than half of those 13 attempts in just the Cincy game.

My point is that Santos has benefitted from mostly attempting short kicks. Since joining the Bears last season he ranks 34th out of 36 kickers with at least 16 attempts in average distance.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that Santos has benefitted from mostly attempting short kicks. Since joining the Bears last season he ranks 34th out of 36 kickers with at least 16 attempts in average distance.
Well today he was 3-3 with a game winner. He did not have any doinks on 30 yarders.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well today he was 3-3 with a game winner. He did not have any doinks on 30 yarders.

Santos was 3-4 on field goals vs. the Lions as he missed one from 53 yards. Actually his performance supports my take as he made three short ones (28, 28, 43) but wasn't able to convert on the long one.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The doinks are winning this year. There was another one on Turkey Day.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Santos was 3-4 on field goals vs. the Lions as he missed one from 53 yards. Actually his performance supports my take as he made three short ones (28, 28, 43) but wasn't able to convert on the long one.
Yes. 3-4. My error. He was short. The book on him is he is very accurate up to 50 which means he does not have the leg to make Crosby's 51, 54. 56. and 58 yarders. But it is unlikely he will doink at 30.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. 3-4. My error. He was short. The book on him is he is very accurate up to 50 which means he does not have the leg to make Crosby's 51, 54. 56. and 58 yarders. But it is unlikely he will doink at 30.

While Santos has a better career percentage than Crosby on field goals up to 50 yards he's slightly below league average on those kicks.

You're correct about Santos having struggled on kicks from 50+ yards in his career.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get over what? That you used "anyone that's attempted one" as your measuring stick? As a GM I bet you would assemble a ton of great players. "This was the top QB last season. He only threw the ball once, but it was completed and for a 1 yard TD. Wait, what? He's a fullback?"
Hes literly 35th!!!! Worse than all but one regular kicker...and you still want him. You're a joke

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stick with Crosby. He's still one of the more dependable kickers in the NFL. I can't think of too many of them out there that I'd be willing to let kick that 50 yard FG to win the game for me. I'd trust that Mason would give us a good shot of getting that win.

Just because he's missed some kicks this year doesn't mean he suddenly lost it all. A lot of things contributed to it happening. We might be darned glad we have him before this season is over.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hes literly 35th!!!! Worse than all but one regular kicker...and you still want him. You're a joke
This isn't Madden Football son. When you start viewing football in a realistic way, get back to me. Speaking of which, besides cutting Crosby right now, what is your next move?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't Madden Football son. When you start viewing football in a realistic way, get back to me. Speaking of which, besides cutting Crosby right now, what is your next move?
Pretty sure this is one of those times where continuing the argument would be pointless lol. I’m certainly not happy with Crosby this year either…. But that doesn’t mean that dumping him mid year would be smart.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stick with Crosby. He's still one of the more dependable kickers in the NFL. I can't think of too many of them out there that I'd be willing to let kick that 50 yard FG to win the game for me. I'd trust that Mason would give us a good shot of getting that win.

Just because he's missed some kicks this year doesn't mean he suddenly lost it all. A lot of things contributed to it happening. We might be darned glad we have him before this season is over.
He's literally missed more kicks than anyone in the NFL. That is the opposite of "most dependable."

If you think he'll figure it out again, if you think a street guy would just be as much of a crapshoot as Mason finding it again, ok fine, I can at least understand that, but come on, let's call a spade a spade on "Most dependable." He's been terrible.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's literally missed more kicks than anyone in the NFL. That is the opposite of "most dependable."

If you think he'll figure it out again, if you think a street guy would just be as much of a crapshoot as Mason finding it again, ok fine, I can at least understand that, but come on, let's call a spade a spade on "Most dependable." He's been terrible.
Your opinion is that if a person has a bad run, they're worthless. I look at the last two years, where he only missed a total of 2 FG attempts, and say that he's worth giving a chance to get it back in the groove.

I don't have time to belabor this point with you, but your opinion doesn't really matter anyway. What does matter is that the Packers have more common sense about the situation than obviously you do. You can carry on with all the rants and foot stomping you want, it's not going to change things one iota. As of now, you're talking to yourself.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your opinion is that if a person has a bad run, they're worthless. I look at the last two years, where he only missed a total of 2 FG attempts, and say that he's worth giving a chance to get it back in the groove.

I don't have time to belabor this point with you, but your opinion doesn't really matter anyway. What does matter is that the Packers have more common sense about the situation than obviously you do. You can carry on with all the rants and foot stomping you want, it's not going to change things one iota. As of now, you're talking to yourself.
Bravo! Rather than looking to have an intelligent conversation and disagree on things, you chose the route of personal attacks "your opinion doesn't matter anyway", "you can carry on with your rants and foot stomping all you want", (I wasn't) "you're talking to yourself", and condensation "I don't have time to belabor this point with you (obviously, you very much do.)

I'll add to that, you even went the strawman route and chose to put words in my mouth that I didn't say "your opinion is that if a person has a bad run, they're worthless."

For the record, I don't endorse replacing Crosby this season, but at his age, contract, our team salary situation, and looking at several subpar seasons in 3 out of the last 5 years (not just this one), it's absolutely a legitimate topic of conversation after the season. (By the way, the fact that the Packers have protected their practice squad kicker this year *absolutely* is indicative that they are well aware that Crosby forcing their hand on it at some point remains a possibility.)

I'd personally see how things go for now, and if there isn't a significant turnaround, perhaps see if someone like Parker White is available in the late rounds in a rookie deal.

How poorly you chose to respond to my simple outlook on the matter says a great deal about yourself as a poster.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my view. Mason has this remaining season to get it figured out. Thankfully, he has a good track record in the postseason. The post season is a good ways away and they can concentrate on mechanics and get back into a groove.

We already had Ficken and others come in to compete. But I haven’t seen any real Kickers n GB that would severely threaten Crosby at this juncture. I do think it’s a “what have you done for me lately” league. There’s a realistic possibility that GB looks towards going younger at K in the next year or 2.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
(By the way, the fact that the Packers have protected their practice squad kicker this year *absolutely* is indicative that they are well aware that Crosby forcing their hand on it at some point remains a possibility.)
I wouldn't read too much into that. It's something that quite a few teams are doing due to Covid. Using 1 of 16 spots on the PS and protecting that player, a kicker, is kind of a no-brainer when Covid could cost you your kicker before you have time to bring in a new one from off the street.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts