Is Mason Crosby Headed for the Bone Yard?

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are mistaking fans having realistic view points as somehow being a religion.

I have asked you twice, now 3 times, if you were Gute, what's your move?

I know you just like to complain, but try adding something new to the discussion, other than telling us we are in a cult.
Considering anybody is better than him? I'd give him his out right release and he anybody off the free agency list. Literally anybody

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when you think specual teams can't get worse, they do. The current approach to special teams is not working to be mild about it. After tonight, changes in coaching and players needs to be done pronto.

Reaction score
Mason is slowly digging himself out of a hole. He’s perfect for 2 consecutive games.
2/2 from the Field (granted 2 shorter kicks) and 100% on extra points. He’s also Kicking it near his career record depth on Kickoffs, resulting in higher TB rates.
Keep it up Crosby, we need you!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason is slowly digging himself out of a hole. He’s perfect for 2 consecutive games.
2/2 from the Field (granted 2 shorter kicks) and 100% on extra points. He’s also Kicking it near his career record depth on Kickoffs, resulting in higher TB rates.
Keep it up Crosby, we need you!
We do.

D

Deleted member 6794

He’s also Kicking it near his career record depth on Kickoffs, resulting in higher TB rates.

That's wrong. During the first 10 games Crosby's kickoffs resulted in a touchback on 25 of 53 attempts (47.2%). Over the last four only seven out of 22 (31.8%) weren't returned by the opponent.

Reaction score
That's wrong. During the first 10 games Crosby's kickoffs resulted in a touchback on 25 of 53 attempts (47.2%). Over the last four only seven out of 22 (31.8%) weren't returned by the opponent.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/kicking.htm

Actually his “career average” vs 2021 is what I was using, but nice try cherry picking 10 contests! ;):roflmao:

His career TB % is 37.5%
He currently sits at 42.7% TB in ‘21

As I said.. in 2021, he’s ticking up in both depth of Kick and TB% compared to a large career sample size (without using a trivial sample size)

Crosby’s depth is also up in 2021.
63.9 yards per. Crosby ranks #10 in the league there also. That supports evidence his “long leg” isn’t diminished.
The 2021 league leader Kicks at 1.1 yards farther distance per KO. Hardly a concern.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that Mason doesn't have as strong of a leg as he did 15 years ago. However, even if he isn't getting touchbacks, that is still no excuse for what we have seen on kick returns. I think he or another Packer kicker would have to kick everything out of the EZ, before teams with a decent returner will decide not to return it against our coverage unit.

Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that Mason doesn't have as strong of a leg as he did 15 years ago. However, even if he isn't getting touchbacks, that is still no excuse for what we have seen on kick returns. I think he or another Packer kicker would have to kick everything out of the EZ, before teams with a decent returner will decide not to return it against our coverage unit.
Yeah. He’d have to kick it into the stands to be successful with this coverage unit.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me I guess there are two questions regarding Crosby next season.

First is just considering the financial cost. I'm sure there are ways to move the numbers around but right now I'm seeing that he has the 7th highest cap number for a kicker next season. It sure looks like things are going to be tight for us next season (unless we blow it all up, I guess); can we afford to bring him back at that price and/or can we get the same (hopefully better) performance for the same or less money?

Second...I'm wondering how it will impact the Rodgers situation (if at all). I've always got the sense that he and Crosby are pretty good friends and I wonder if it could be the case that we'd need to keep Crosby around to have a chance at keeping Rodgers past this season. Personally, that's an easy decision for me - if that's what it takes, then right now I'd much prefer Rodgers+Crosby ahead of Love and a new (Better?) kicker, but who knows.

But outside of Crosby returning being a requirement for Rodgers to return, I think it's probably time to start looking for replacements.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But outside of Crosby returning being a requirement for Rodgers to return, I think it's probably time to start looking for replacements.
I think the conversation will definitely be there and if I am not mistaken, Crosby took some kind of pay cut following his other really bad season (2012). I think it would have to take a second coming of Mason for the Packers open to the idea that it might be time to move on from him. Rodgers might have some say in it, but I doubt he has final say.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me I guess there are two questions regarding Crosby next season.

First is just considering the financial cost. I'm sure there are ways to move the numbers around but right now I'm seeing that he has the 7th highest cap number for a kicker next season. It sure looks like things are going to be tight for us next season (unless we blow it all up, I guess); can we afford to bring him back at that price and/or can we get the same (hopefully better) performance for the same or less money?

Second...I'm wondering how it will impact the Rodgers situation (if at all). I've always got the sense that he and Crosby are pretty good friends and I wonder if it could be the case that we'd need to keep Crosby around to have a chance at keeping Rodgers past this season. Personally, that's an easy decision for me - if that's what it takes, then right now I'd much prefer Rodgers+Crosby ahead of Love and a new (Better?) kicker, but who knows.

Good point. The time is now to decide and cap reasons have to be weighed. Do we make Crosby a Jason Hanson? Or do we part with him like a Robby Gould?

D

Deleted member 6794

True, as even a kick 3 yds. deep into the end zone is being brought out in hopes of a big play. Why not?

The Packers aren't any good covering kickoffs but rank 23rd in yards allowed per attempt. Therefore I don't believe opponents plan to return more of them vs. the Packers than most other teams.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/kicking.htm

Actually his “career average” vs 2021 is what I was using, but nice try cherry picking 10 contests! ;):roflmao:

His career TB % is 37.5%
He currently sits at 42.7% TB in ‘21

As I said.. in 2021, he’s ticking up in both depth of Kick and TB% compared to a large career sample size (without using a trivial sample size)

It doesn't make any sense to compare Crosby's touchback percentage in 2021 to his career average as the rules have changed twice since he entered the league which in both instances had a huge effect on the numbers.

With the current rules being in place since 2018 let's take a look Crosby's touchback percentage since then:

2018-20: 56.6%
2021: 42.5%

Therefore his touchback percentage is significantly down this season.

Crosby’s depth is also up in 2021.
63.9 yards per. Crosby ranks #10 in the league there also. That supports evidence his “long leg” isn’t diminished.
The 2021 league leader Kicks at 1.1 yards farther distance per KO. Hardly a concern.

That number is misleading as well as touchbacks are counted as a 65-yard kickoff no matter if the ball just hobbled in the end zone or was kicked into the stands.

Reaction score
3 more consecutive FG gets him to 75% (ties his 2009 average). Where he also had 48/49 Extra points made. Only 2 Kickers were a perfect 100% on extra points (20 min) in 2021

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks like Crosby is getting his mojo back. 7/7 on attempts last night. He also had his best kickoffs of the season. 5 out of 8 touchbacks against a returner who has 2 TD returns this year.
Yup...seems like the rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. :whistling:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Crosby is getting his mojo back. 7/7 on attempts last night. He also had his best kickoffs of the season. 5 out of 8 touchbacks against a returner who has 2 TD returns this year.
Vikings could have returned some of those touchbacks. Opted for the 25. Now in Detroit I hope he gets to try a couple from 50 or so. No pressure. Indoors. But it will help.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings could have returned some of those touchbacks. Opted for the 25. Now in Detroit I hope he gets to try a couple from 50 or so. No pressure. Indoors. But it will help.
That's what I was thinking. I don't know why, with our ST record, they did not return those not very deep kicks in the first half.

Members online