• Keep

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You would think Rodgers would want to speak with him. He is gambling that the Packers will make any deal with the Jets including a bad one. But who will give in? The Pack or the Jets?
All 3 parties, the Packers, Rodgers and any team interested in trading for him, would have to talk. Since no team is going to trade for a guy that might retire after being traded. This lack of communication on Rodgers part, if true, just further complicated Gutes job in trying to facilitate a trade.

Gute: "Hi, we are seeing if you are interested in trading for Aaron?"

Joe GM: "Oh wow, sure, but will he play for us?"

Gute: *long pause* "Well, we don't know, despite the millions we pay him, he won't talk to us. Can I get back to you on that?"

D

Deleted member 6794

If I were forced to choose a side, I would trust Gute in this situation.

Gutekunst wasn't telling the truth at his press conference after the season ended when he indicated the Packers want Rodgers back for the 2023 season. Therefore I don't trust everything he says either.

I think one of the issues complicating things is where the Jets are at. They are only $9 million under the cap.

The Jets would only take a $16 million for this season by trading for Rodgers. They can easily free up enough cap space to fit his contract under their cap in a heartbeat.

Also, one has to consider that the Packers are sitting on a lot of cap, due to the Rodgers decision not being made. Depending on what happens with him, that cap money could disappear.

Once again, the Packers would only take an additional cap hit of $8.7 million by trading Rodgers before June 1. That would still leave them with more cap space than 21 other teams around the league.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst wasn't telling the truth at his press conference after the season ended when he indicated the Packers want Rodgers back for the 2023 season. Therefore I don't trust everything he says either.

How do you say that definitively? Just because they’re parting now, doesn’t mean then that isn’t what they wanted, perhaps their vision of what off season decisions looked like weren’t things Rodgers wanted to be part of?

Perhaps after initial discussions Rodgers truly did ignore them?

Perhaps they did lie and never did want him back?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has already been caught in “a misleading statement” on his vaccine status. A few of us have mentioned his family and gf issues. There is something off with him.
as with everything there are always 2 sides. Many celebrities are in multiple relationships that don't last. many of the women he's been linked with have had multiple relationships before him too. So maybe they found one after him. Maybe they were just desperate too and in 3 years they're all broken up with babies in tow. Maybe they live happily ever after.

He's probably very particular and holds people to very high standards. But I dont' remember much coming out about anything other than they dated, had fun, broke up. as for Family. I saw early on people trying to cash in on their brother and son's fame. Dad was around trying to sell stuff to local practioners and brother using the name to get on what I find to be ridiculous "reality" tv shows.

If anything I'd find the willingness to go on one of those shows as a major character flaw LOL. Would not surprise me at all if he wanted to distance himself from that. Right or wrong, there are reasons. and I've seen lots of people shun family for less. and maybe i've missed something over the years but other than his fame starved brother looking for attention, I haven't seen much of anything about the details of what has or hasn't happened between them other than stories saying he doesn't talk to them.

Even in this situation, I can see how both contributed to it and neither is right or wrong. From how Aaron seems, it's not much for me to think he told them, i'm going to take x amount of time and think and reflect. I can say with a fair degree of confidence that when he says he's going to take time, it is personal, it is on his terms, and he'll cut himself off. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns his phone off and doesn't pick it up for anything for days or weeks at a time. if he sees a message i'd bet he can ignore it and say, i told them I'm taking this time and would get back by X day.

and I can see Gute in company, we have a team to run, what are you thinking, this is what we're thinking, he wants to hash some things out. Though I do think everyone knew major restructure was involved or moving on by trade or retirement heading into the offseason. He's not wrong when he does have a job to do. Maybe Rodgers is saying I can't talk about it right now until I get my head right. that's how he is. and the lack of communication and timing put us here. We were getting here soon anyway, so let's just get on with it I say. If this lack of communication happened 10 years ago, I have a feeling Gute is waiting until the last possible second to do his job and doing everything he can to keep Rodgers on the team.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Also, one has to consider that the Packers are sitting on a lot of cap, due to the Rodgers decision not being made. Depending on what happens with him, that cap money could disappear.
That was my whole point. I started out by saying that they cleared cap space to take the hit on Rodgers contract.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Jets would only take a $16 million for this season by trading for Rodgers. They can easily free up enough cap space to fit his contract under their cap in a heartbeat.

Once again, the Packers would only take an additional cap hit of $8.7 million by trading Rodgers before June 1. That would still leave them with more cap space than 21 other teams around the league.
So what would be the result for all parties involved if the Rodgers trade takes place after June 1? I recall that the Favre trade to the Jets took place right before preseason was to start.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about a post June 1 is lack of draft picks for this draft. But if there is a player involved, maybe it's not so bad. Other than just closing this chapter, I guess I don't care too much one way or the other as long as we get value.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about a post June 1 is lack of draft picks for this draft. But if there is a player involved, maybe it's not so bad. Other than just closing this chapter, I guess I don't care too much one way or the other as long as we get value.

For me also, a post June 1st trade would have to have a player this season, a first next season along with a 4th that on certain conditions met could be a third second or first. This idea of the Jets wanting a pic in 2025 if Rogers last just one season is a non-starter.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me also, a post June 1st trade would have to have a player this season, a first next season along with a 4th that on certain conditions met could be a third second or first. This idea of the Jets wanting a pic in 2025 if Rogers last just one season is a non-starter.

I agree Post June 1st has to include someone...and IMO someone that has a chance at minimum rotational snaps as perhaps first reserve at their position; first two that come to mind is Jeremy Ruckert TE and Michael Clemons EDGE they have.

The 2025 conditional back to the Jets I don't have a major issue with personally if say it is a 4th or 5th. BUT IF he plays in 2024 that conditional now swings back our way and escalates with teams performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was my whole point. I started out by saying that they cleared cap space to take the hit on Rodgers contract.
Apologies, I missed your post and was reacting to a reply to it. I should have gone back to your OP, so my bad.

People seem to think that this Rodgers trade is a done deal and that "when" it happens, the cap hit is already known. I wouldn't close the barn door just yet. First, who knows when and if that trade happens. More importantly, what will the ramifications to the Packers cap be? The Jets might want the Packers to eat some of that money, which means an even bigger hit on the cap that they currently have sitting idle. The deal falls through and Rodgers is a Packer for 2023.

I'll go back to what I said over a month ago, this situation should have never happened. One F'ing player preventing the Packers from having real clarity of their situation, during a time when they should be moving forward, not sitting and waiting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So what would be the result for all parties involved if the Rodgers trade takes place after June 1? I recall that the Favre trade to the Jets took place right before preseason was to start.
The cap ramifications shift somewhat, but that would also depend on the deal that was made and if the Packers had to eat some of his salary that the Jets didn't want to.

Any draft picks or players we get, whether the picks are in 2023 or 2024 aren't going to drastically change the outcome of the Packers 2023 season IMO. So from that standpoint, I don't mind waiting and banking the picks and money for 2024.

However, the advantage of getting 2023 picks is that you know what they are. If they all become future picks they could slide anywhere from first to last in a particular round. I doubt it will happen, but language could be worked out to make the totality of the picks end up being somewhat equal, no matter what the Jets 2023 record ends up being.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apologies, I missed your post and was reacting to a reply to it. I should have gone back to your OP, so my bad.

People seem to think that this Rodgers trade is a done deal and that "when" it happens, the cap hit is already known. I wouldn't close the barn door just yet. First, who knows when and if that trade happens. More importantly, what will the ramifications to the Packers cap be? The Jets might want the Packers to eat some of that money, which means an even bigger hit on the cap that they currently have sitting idle. The deal falls through and Rodgers is a Packer for 2023.

I'll go back to what I said over a month ago, this situation should have never happened. One F'ing player preventing the Packers from having real clarity of their situation, during a time when they should be moving forward, not sitting and waiting.
I am less worried about the timing of the trade than most. I do hope it happens pre-draft. IMO the FO is done in FA until after the draft. Please correct me if I am wrong on my interpretation. Any FAs signed after the draft do not count against compensatory picks. At this point GB has a good chance to get 2 comp. picks in 2024 and do not want to lose them. IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any FAs signed after the draft do not count against compensatory picks. At this point GB has a good chance to get 2 comp. picks in 2024 and do not want to lose them. IMO.
That is correct, but I believe the wording is "after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year".

I am less worried about the timing of the trade than most. I do hope it happens pre-draft. IMO the FO is done in FA until after the draft.
I agree, with the caveat that it gets done before the start of the season, when his option Bonus of $58.3M would otherwise kick in.

I'm looking at this coming season as "AR 2023", "after Rodgers". It will be a learning year for not just Love, but for the entire offense and coaching staff. I can't imagine MLF is going to scrap his entire playbook, but I envision a different one for Love. I don't expect the playoffs and envision a top 5 draft pick in 2024. So yeah, as much cap as they can carry into 2024 and picks, will be a springboard to 2024 and beyond.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you say that definitively? Just because they’re parting now, doesn’t mean then that isn’t what they wanted, perhaps their vision of what off season decisions looked like weren’t things Rodgers wanted to be part of?

Perhaps after initial discussions Rodgers truly did ignore them?

Perhaps they did lie and never did want him back?

I'm confident in saying that Gutekunst wanted to move on from Rodgers this offseason no matter what. And he knew about it before his season ending press conference.

If the Packers trade Rodgers after June 1 the move would result in only $15.8 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2023. They would actually save $15.8 million of cap space for the upcoming season. But it would also result in a dead money cap hit of $24.5 million in '24.

The Jets might want the Packers to eat some of that money, which means an even bigger hit on the cap that they currently have sitting idle.

The Packers shouldn't pay a cent of Rodgers' salary if he's traded.

Gutekunst and Ball structuring the contract that stupid way is responsible for it though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

No need to apologize. I was just clarifying. If you trade Rodgers on Over The Cap using their calculator then their cap goes from $22 million of available funds down to $13 million. You're right though, I have no idea if that is actually accurate. This is prior to June 1st, which is most likely because the Packers would want the draft picks. Again, not sure if this is correct. @captainWIMM probably knows and has probably post it. I'm sure he's annoyed with me. :)

I don't think sitting and waiting hurts anything here. We still have almost a month before the draft. Plenty of time to make a deal. Imagine the drama if they did it on day one of the draft. It would make good TV. Maybe it hurts us because we want to just be done with it. Soon enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think sitting and waiting hurts anything here. We still have almost a month before the draft. Plenty of time to make a deal. Imagine the drama if they did it on day one of the draft. It would make good TV. Maybe it hurts us because we want to just be done with it. Soon enough.
What I am hoping for is another team jumping into the discussions. Either their starting QB gets injured (no not wishing that on anyone) or their preferred QB gets drafted ahead of them. Problem with the second one, I doubt that anyone looking for a top 5 rookie QB, is in a situation of being able to "win now" with Rodgers. So they and Rodgers himself, might not be interested in each other.

Brock Purdy might be a wildcard in all this. If his injury isn't healing like it should, the 9'ers could have legit interest in Rodgers. They have peanuts for 2023 draft capital, but that won't matter if the deal with the Jets isn't done by the draft. The 49'ers appear to have all their 2024 picks available. Even if they got into the bidding before the draft, it should push the Jets to up their offer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thought of the day.

"Wishing I had a dollar for every clickbait article I have seen on the Rodgers trade"

Everyone is talking about it, changing their headline to sound like there is a change, but just the same old same old.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back does anyone know if we payed any of Favre's salary when he went to the Jets?

D

Deleted member 6794

No need to apologize. I was just clarifying. If you trade Rodgers on Over The Cap using their calculator then their cap goes from $22 million of available funds down to $13 million. You're right though, I have no idea if that is actually accurate. This is prior to June 1st, which is most likely because the Packers would want the draft picks. Again, not sure if this is correct. @captainWIMM probably knows and has probably post it. I'm sure he's annoyed with me. :)

Those numbers are correct. And don't worry, I'm definitely not annoyed with you at all ;)

Brock Purdy might be a wildcard in all this. If his injury isn't healing like it should, the 9'ers could have legit interest in Rodgers. They have peanuts for 2023 draft capital, but that won't matter if the deal with the Jets isn't done by the draft. The 49'ers appear to have all their 2024 picks available. Even if they got into the bidding before the draft, it should push the Jets to up their offer.

It's entirely possible the Niners would be interested in Rodgers even if Purdy's recovery is on schedule if he's still on the Packers roster after the draft.

Thought of the day.

"Wishing I had a dollar for every clickbait article I have seen on the Rodgers trade"

Wishing I had a dollar for every clickbait article on Rodgers you linked to on the forum ;)

Reaction score
Wishing I had a dollar for every clickbait article on Rodgers you linked to on the forum ;)
It’s entirely my fault. I’ve been doing some writing about Rodgers in my spare time and sending it @Pokerbrat2000. That helped me to cope with all the Rodgers deceptive practices.
None of my readers had any idea whatsoever those articles were actually mine. I just used various sports writers signatures and found a picture of them to make the links appear official. Trying to impersonate the female writers took some getting in touch with my feminine side, but it was awfully rewarding.:coffee:

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I am hoping for is another team jumping into the discussions. Either their starting QB gets injured (no not wishing that on anyone) or their preferred QB gets drafted ahead of them. Problem with the second one, I doubt that anyone looking for a top 5 rookie QB, is in a situation of being able to "win now" with Rodgers. So they and Rodgers himself, might not be interested in each other.

Some premonition there! Quick, I need the next lotto numbers...

Members online

Latest posts