• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Milto21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was there about his performance this season that makes it smart to keep him and ignore the future at the position? If he comes back next year we can expect more of the same from him and then have to likely start completely from scratch the following year.
Aaron was missing a complete front line most of the season... Maybe by next year, the rook receivers can learn the playbook and how to catch. With time and reliable wideouts, Aaron is MVP Aaron.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many think him retiring is likely or really an option.

Minding the fact that it would be an absolute giant middle finger to the fan base and the organization after pulling the power play he did to get that contract it's also a contact where him retiring is effectively a no trade clause for him to have say over who he plays for next year.

The contract is written to tradable. Just not "tradable to the highest bidder".

Him retiring is an absolute worst case scenerio.

Best case is a team he likes makes a very good offer

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron was missing a complete front line most of the season... Maybe by next year, the rook receivers can learn the playbook and how to catch. With time and reliable wideouts, Aaron is MVP Aaron.
Only if he builds his arm strength back up, re-dedicates himself to film study, attends mini camps and OTAs, and starts throwing with accuracy again.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Physically/throwing, I believe Love would have been better. Mostly because of the thumb. Decision making, running the offense and reading the defense, Love would be lacking.
It is definitely true that it is better to make the playoffs than not.....but there have been too many gut punching playoff losses and blown opportunities for me.
Now, there are 14 playoff teams every season (used to be 12). Only 1 team wins the prize. About 93% of the teams are getting gut punched every year. Keep it in perspective.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, there are 14 playoff teams every season (used to be 12). Only 1 team wins the prize. About 93% of the teams are getting gut punched every year. Keep it in perspective.
How many have Hall of Fame QB's? How many have *repeatedly* gotten to the conference championship game and lost? How many have suffered multiple losses at home?

Perspective.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How many have Hall of Fame QB's? How many have *repeatedly* gotten to the conference championship game and lost? How many have suffered multiple losses at home?

Perspective.
Don't know. Didn't do the research but I'm guessing we're not alone. There are pitfalls to having an aging HOF calibre QB. It's gonna have an adverse affect on roster building options.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know. Didn't do the research but I'm guessing we're not alone. There are pitfalls to having an aging HOF calibre QB. It's gonna have an adverse affect on roster building options.
Definitely, age is one thing that comes for all. We have to see what Love can do over several games in succession. I will always have love for Rodgers (and my AR memorabilia), but it may be time. I see and also remember when AR got boo after Farve was gone. Maybe it's time, I'm not a AR fan, I'm a GBP primarily and think it might be time to look to the future at QB.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt has gone over this in detail. Whether or not the Packers make a move regarding Rodgers, it pretty much has to be this year.

Reaction score
Lol… You should probably re read what you here. I’m not arguing your points…. just find it ironic that you are making them.
I’m trying to be nice to those of you who seemingly worship Aaron ;)I’m just not scared to go out and find someone who can crack the top 10 again. He’s good, but he’s no longer a top 5 QB and that’s not good if he’s sucking your bank account.

I’ll be extra frank so there’s no delusion about my position.

Rodger’s has several areas of uncertainty. They include lack team commitment, age factors, inability to inspire others, play decline or inability to show up in big games.
I fully realize we are fiscally stuck with him and it’s not to say we can’t get another good year or two. However, Aaron is definitely not going to carry a team anymore ala top QB. Add to this his less than remarkable attitude and its icing on the controversial Cake for me, personally.

16th Passer Rating
15th QB rating
10th in Pass attempts
11th Passing Yards
17th yards per pass
7th in TD’s
13th TD%
19th INT
16th INT%
18th Yards/GM
20th Comp%

14th in Offensive Points For= 21.8

8-9 record; 3rd place in his Division

If I randomly took a Poll in Preseason and asked what salary this arbitrary QB should be paid? It would likely fall somewhere in the $30-35M area.

So my summary evaluation would be that if the Packers weren’t financially committed?? (Contract out under $15mil etc) I’d get what I could in draft pics and run away.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two years ago at the draft was the time to sell. IMO, he obviously needs to go and we have to rebuild this offense. Take what you can get for him, the Jets and Raiders will be looking to buy. Maybe the Pats, but I doubt he'll want to play with Bill as I'm told he runs a tight ship.

Reaction score
Two years ago at the draft was the time to sell. IMO, he obviously needs to go and we have to rebuild this offense. Take what you can get for him, the Jets and Raiders will be looking to buy. Maybe the Pats, but I doubt he'll want to play with Bill as I'm told he runs a tight ship.
If Aaron was open to it? I’d work with him and take a little less draft capital to land him with one of his top 3-4 city choices.
I’d take a 2nd-3rd Rounder if they were both top 1/2 round in order.

Then I’d trade our 2023 acquired 2nd Rounder for a 2024 Day 1 selection in some capacity. I’d use the extra bonus early 3rd rounder this season to plug at our thinnest position.

I’d start Jordan in 2023 and give him 1 Full season to show improvement. If he didn’t look the part, I’d use both Day 2024 Day1 selection’s packaged and draft one of the best 2-3 QB options there (that kid from NC TarHeels looks the part) In a similar scenario to this, our 2023 season is both a QB trial and a season to wash the bulk of our sunk monies across player contracts. While we still have void contract monies etc.. pushed into 2024 and beyond, that sunk money drops significantly after our 2023 season and it fades to minuscule in impact by 2025, which is when you’d project our starting QB is in his 3rd active season (his 2nd season if we draft a QB in 2024) to rise. The end result is it puts us in a cap position (average to low QB money) to go out and supply our weakest links with a couple of good FA signings simultaneous with the 2023+2024 draftees taking strides into their 2nd/3rd seasons.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we may have something with Love. I'd give him a year for growth and his 5th year option. Unless he's horrible year one.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did read somewhere yesterday that said if Rodgers would retire..they would owe him $0. He would lose out on about $60 million though..trading him would not be ideal either as they would still be on the hook for about $15-20 million. They can't release him..they would still be on the hook for all of the guaranteed money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did read somewhere yesterday that said if Rodgers would retire..they would owe him $0. He would lose out on about $60 million though..trading him would not be ideal either as they would still be on the hook for about $15-20 million. They can't release him..they would still be on the hook for all of the guaranteed money.

Negative on the zero. Not true.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AFAIK it's roughly the same dead cap for us if he is traded or retires this offseason, roughly 40m.

Of course in a trade we would get some measure of compensation in return.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we may have something with Love. I'd give him a year for growth and his 5th year option. Unless he's horrible year one.
GB needs to 5th year option Love by 5/01/23, so the window to let Love play "real games" & evaluate has passed. Love either gets 5th year optioned at an approximate salary of $19.562mil OR not. If not, then he's an Unrestricted Free Agent in '24. If he plays lights-out GB could Franchise tag him for somewhere between $30-$35mil. Big decision based on practice & limited game action.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my guess is they have long ago made up their mind about the 5th year option and will exercise it regardless of what happens between now and March with Rodgers.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that was me..I would have 59 million reasons to return. They must have some kind of plan..at least you would think they would so they wouldn't be on the hook for the remaining money should he retire.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my guess is they have long ago made up their mind about the 5th year option and will exercise it regardless of what happens between now and March with Rodgers.
If they do, and AR decides to stay thru '24 GB will have $40.7mil cap # for AR & $19.6mil for Love. Very hard to believe Gute doesn't have a MUCH better plan than that.