• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is fully guaranteed to be paid $60 million next season if he doesn't retire. Aside of trading him there would be no way for the Packers to get out of that commitment as there's no reason for him to accept a pay cut.

Well, the Packers would take a cap hit of $40.3 million by trading Rodgers (either all of it in 2023 or over the next two seasons) but a team acquiring him would be on the hook for the $60 million guaranteed to him next season.

If Rodgers retires the Packers don't owe him another cent. If they trade him the team acquiring him is the one paying him his option bonus and salary.

The Packers have no way of forcing Rodgers to retire.
I don't know if another GM will give us a 1st for Rodgers now. Plus at 40 years old he would probably only play for them one more year. Unless 12 retires he'll be our starter for the 2023 season.

Yes, nobody forced Favre to retire back in the day either.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll retire. It just wasn't a fun season and looks like next few won't be too.
Next season might if we improve our WR and TE rooms along with getting rid of Barry and hire someone who will get the best out of our defense. Look how much better we looked when the D played decently!

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what the Packers are going to do with Rodgers. It's kind of funny, they've given him total control of the offense and his contract basically does the same off the field. The Packers have no control over the situation, it is all up to Rodgers, they cannot cut him or force him to retire.

Gute had an opportunity to trade Rodgers at essentially peak value and usher in the next era and instead completely gave up control of ushering in the next era. The ramifications of that decision will be massive.
Yes he did but then he'd be the first GM in league history to trade his reigning league MVP. I suspect nobody at 1265 thought Rodgers would play this poorly this year but as Madcat said, what did they expect with that receiving/TE corps?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next season might if we improve our WR and TE rooms along with getting rid of Barry and hire someone who will get the best out of our defense. Look how much better we looked when the D played decently?

Realistically if next year is after Rodgers era, we will be fighting to be middle of the pack. If we had tons of guys returning sure I could be there with you but look at all the expiring contracts of guys playing SIGNIFICANT snaps that are currently unsigned:

Notable Offensive Guys:
Lazard - 78.88%, most of any WR and 5th most snaps on team offensively
Nijman - 69.10%, 6th most on the team.
Jones - (Contract rework or cut) 57.59% and 7th overall on team.
Tonyan - Most by TE, 54.02% and 9th overall
Lewis - 41.22% and 14th overall
Cobb - 33.9% / 4th most by a WR

Notable Defensive Guys:
Amos - 94.58% most of anyone
Reed - 68.25% / 2nd behind Clark for iDL / 8th overall
Lowry - 46.66% / 3rd iDL and 10th overall
Ford - 42.79% / 13th overall and some of the most once he took over safety
Nixon - 27.98%

ST:
Crosby

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why even tell him he'd be competing in TC? Just tell him Love has the keys to the car, AR will be #3 running scout team & helping train the rookie 6th or 7th rounder as #2.
Do you think MM and TT said that to Favre after the 2007 season - that they were going with Rodgers and Brett would be #3 running the scout team? LOL

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Realistically if next year is after Rodgers era, we will be fighting to be middle of the pack. If we had tons of guys returning sure I could be there with you but look at all the expiring contracts of guys playing SIGNIFICANT snaps that are currently unsigned:

Notable Offensive Guys:
Lazard - 78.88%, most of any WR and 5th most snaps on team offensively
Nijman - 69.10, 6th most on the team.
Jones - (Contract rework or cut) 57.59% and 7th overall on team.
Tonyan - Most by TE, 54.02% and 9th overall
Lewis - 41.22% and 14th overall
Cobb - 33.9% / 4th most by a WR

Notable Defensive Guys:
Amos - 94.58% most of anyone
Reed - 68.25% / 2nd behind Clark for iDL / 8th overall
Lowry - 46.66% / 3rd iDL and 10th overall
Ford - 42.79% / 13th overall and some of the most once he took over safety
Nixon - 27.98%

ST:
Crosby
Now that’s info

Indy Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoping for a trade to a contender. This is probably the best outcome for both parties. Sad to see Rodgers only win one with the Packers though. Unfortunately many will blame him for the failures. The nfl consensus seems to like to credit QBs for wins and losses despite the mountain of evidence that disproves this. With the struggles of many elite QBs this year and success of teams like the 49ers, I hoped this might be year fans finally wake up and see the importance of the rest of the team but it appears they haven't. Rodgers definitely had a down year and deserves a lot of blame but was not set up for success either.

I've heard a lot of people claim Rodgers is not good in the playoffs and Brady is a god. I'm not sure how both can be true when Rodgers is statistically better in the playoffs. He has better stats in literally every major category and has a higher pts per drive (not just padding his stats). Why does Brady win so much then? He has to score 21 to win an average game while Rodgers has to score 27. On top of that, he gets about 3 pts per game extra off of short fields. Overall, he gets about a 9 pt advantage compared to Rodger's teams. Look at the rams-bucs game last year for an example. Winning a single elimination tournament in the middle of winter with a banged up team is not easy and takes a lot of luck. Unfortunately, luck is not equally distributed.

Reaction score
If Rodgers retires the Packers don't owe him another cent.
Did something change?

I don’t believe they pay the player but the dead monies still applies against our team cap with that Jun 1 rule?
Like $40.3mil

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Everyone knows I’m a Rodgers guy. But I also call it like I see it.

Three years in a row, the Packers have been eliminated from playoff contention on their own home field. In the 4th quarter of those three games, these are Rodgers’ numbers:

10/24 for 83 yards and zero touchdowns.

I can explain away a game here and there. But that’s three times eliminated on the frozen tundra with putrid numbers.

I stand by what I said in regards to what the rest of the team did and didn’t do. But Rodgers hasn’t been good late in playoff games of late.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Three years in a row, the Packers have been eliminated from playoff contention on their own home field. In the 4th quarter of those three games, these are Rodgers’ numbers:

I can explain away a game here and there. But that’s three times eliminated on the frozen tundra with putrid numbers.

I stand by what I said in regards to what the rest of the team did and didn’t do. But Rodgers hasn’t been good late in playoff games of late.

It's time.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in TC? Just tell him Love has the keys to the car, AR will be #3 running scout team & helping train the rookie 6th or 7th rounder as #2.

Isn't retirement the best option for the Packers from a cap standpoint?

Trying to steer him towards making that decision on his own (all your boys are gone, we can't really improve the team) rather than "come back if you want, but you are just going to sit" so it ****** him off and he tries to do the most cap damage on the way out the door doesn't seem like the best option. I'm sure that would feel good if you are in the Rodgers hating club, but from a football management standpoint, not really.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't retirement the best option for the Packers from a cap standpoint?

Trying to steer him towards making that decision on his own (all your boys are gone, we can't really improve the team) rather than "come back if you want, but you are just going to sit" so it ****** him off and he tries to do the most cap damage on the way out the door doesn't seem like the best option. I'm sure that would feel good if you are in the Rodgers hating club, but from a football management standpoint, not really.
I think we should just make the proper decision. Why should emotion and/or backstabbing have anything to do with it? Best to see what we have with Love and Rodgers plays back up. imho

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think MM and TT said that to Favre after the 2007 season - that they were going with Rodgers and Brett would be #3 running the scout team? LOL
I'm sure there will be discussions in early March, but if AR says he wants to play another year the Packers may have no other "leverage" than to play on his ego & say "if you want to come back you'll be #3" which I can't imagine AR doing just to collect $60mil salary. I think AR still has future marketing earnings IF he leaves gracefully, but that'll be up to him.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score

It think Rodgers knows if he really is a team player, and it’s about legacy he’ll step away, he did a lot for this team, I believe he will let the next gen step in, some big shoes to fill

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Hoping for a trade to a contender. This is probably the best outcome for both parties. Sad to see Rodgers only win one with the Packers though. Unfortunately many will blame him for the failures. The nfl consensus seems to like to credit QBs for wins and losses despite the mountain of evidence that disproves this. With the struggles of many elite QBs this year and success of teams like the 49ers, I hoped this might be year fans finally wake up and see the importance of the rest of the team but it appears they haven't. Rodgers definitely had a down year and deserves a lot of blame but was not set up for success either.

I've heard a lot of people claim Rodgers is not good in the playoffs and Brady is a god. I'm not sure how both can be true when Rodgers is statistically better in the playoffs. He has better stats in literally every major category and has a higher pts per drive (not just padding his stats). Why does Brady win so much then? He has to score 21 to win an average game while Rodgers has to score 27. On top of that, he gets about 3 pts per game extra off of short fields. Overall, he gets about a 9 pt advantage compared to Rodger's teams. Look at the rams-bucs game last year for an example. Winning a single elimination tournament in the middle of winter with a banged up team is not easy and takes a lot of luck. Unfortunately, luck is not equally distributed.
Brady has mad skills, but he had the personnel and much better coaching behind him

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah…I'm sure we could "force" him to retire by some of the aforementioned methods but I would seriously be surprised if that were the case.

Look at the lengths the franchise went to in the past year or two to repair the relationship with Rodgers? Both parties seem to genuinely want to work together (and finish working together, whenever that is!) on good terms. I seriously doubt they would about-face and go all scorched earth to force him out a year later.

That's not good management strategy in general; I know GB has never been the most alluring FA destination but consider the impact such a treatment would have on potential outside FAs, players on expiring contracts, etc...It would be awfully easy for a player to look at the situation and think, "If that's how they treated one of their best players of all-time at the end, how will they treat a guy like me?"
And of course there's some more nuance to that, it doesn't adequately explain the totality of the situation but it would not surprise me if players would potentially view it that way.

That said of course I think there are still some measures you can take to give a bit of a nudge without being disrespectful or burning bridges. There have been some concessions made for Rodgers over the year that were perhaps not the most sound "business decisions" and likely wouldn't have been made if he wasn't here. Rodgers has said he does not particularly want to be a part of a rebuild and if the business decision is made to let guys like Lazard, Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, etc walk I think the message would be fairly clear.

So all that to say it's a little bit of both.
No, the Packers can't technically "force" Rodgers to retire.
Yes, the Packers could in theory make life so uncomfortable for Rodgers that he would feel "forced" into retirement or a trade request.
No, I don't believe GB would take that approach.
But yes - the team could perhaps start to nudge that direction without relegating AR to being a clipboard holder or "#3 Scout Team QB" or whatever.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The amt of cash he's getting is worth what? Maybe if he didn't get so much, we could of kept Z. Smith and/ or maybe others. Maybe he should feel uncomfortable. If he plays again next yr for us, it will just be the same story. Maybe make the playoffs but lose .

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How's this for spooky? Favres last game final six passes. Two of six for 12 yards and a game sealing. interception. Rogers last six passes. Two of six for 12 yards and a game ceiling interception- both at lambeau

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How's this for spooky? Favres last game final six passes. Two of six for 12 yards and a game sealing. interception. Rogers last six passes. Two of six for 12 yards and a game ceiling interception- both at lambeau

Honestly...that is just creepy....

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people claim Rodgers is not good in the playoffs and Brady is a god. I'm not sure how both can be true when Rodgers is statistically better in the playoffs.

Not all snaps are created equal.

With the exception of 2011 (obviously) and 2017, Rodgers has shrunk and been at his worst in the biggest moments when we have needed him at his best.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will retire if not for other reason then he is well aware that if he doesn't he will hurt this team and hold JLO back or make it near impossible to keep him.

Onother possibility is he will want to return for 1 more season and will agree to an substantial pay cut and contract restructuring which will allove to us to keep JLO if they think he is the QB of the future. If that happens they will talk to JLO and ask him to sit behind AR for 1 more season and promiss him the starting job in 24.

Rodgers may want to come back on a 20-25mil deal because he may not want to retire after such a terrible run.

If he does I expect that will he will work very hard in the off-season to get himself in the best shape possible and we will be on fire for his final hurray .
Rodgers only cares about himself, not the team.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I find it amusing watching the Lions celebrate their 3rd straight win over the Packers, somehow they have this fantasy of this being like a SB win for them, I missed something Lions fans, how many SB’s have you won? Or how many SB have you even been in? No matter how bad the Packers record(s) have been YOUR TEAM still has the stink on you for not winning a game in a season, so keep it classy Kittens that’s something you really should be proud of. See ya next year

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Why even tell him he'd be competing in TC? Just tell him Love has the keys to the car, AR will be #3 running scout team & helping train the rookie 6th or 7th rounder as #2.
Would his ego even let that happen ?