Is it possible for the Packers to not play the Cardinals two weeks in a row?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it a lot, but I can't figure out all of the tiebreakers. Is there any possibility that the Packers would play either the Eagles or Cowboys in the first round instead of the Cardinals? I don't know about any of you, but I don't want to play the Cards two weeks in a row, especially in Arizona.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. I think I figured everything out. This will be the matchups for the playoffs depending on what team beats who...
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATKIm5wyZ9h0ZGdkZ3IzaDlfMThocXgyNmhnaA&hl=en

I don't believe any scenario will allow the Packers to face the Eagles. However, there is a possibility that the Packers might face the Vikings again.

Hopefully you guys can understand the table. The current W-L records are in the next column next to the team names.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoo Boy!
Here we go again with all the crazy talk of who gets to play who in playoffs based on who wins/loses what game.
To me it makes as much sense if:
I tie my left shoe first then it's Giants vs Saints. But if I tie my right shoe first then it's Steelers vs Browns.
Ravens play Bengals if I wear a hat on Tuesday. No hat means it's the Cowboys against the Raiders.
If I eat cereal on Sat then it's Packers against Vikes. A bagel and it's Colts vs Panthers.

I can't follow it.
All I can do is just be patient and wait and see.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a playoff scenario chart that was made by Gratif at cheeseheadtv.com

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm rooting for us to play Minnesota, I see them as the most beatable oponet. Yeah call me crazy, But Philly and Arizona scare me much more. So I hope for us to face the queens in the wild card game.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I'm rooting for us to play Minnesota, I see them as the most beatable oponet. Yeah call me crazy, But Philly and Arizona scare me much more. So I hope for us to face the queens in the wild card game.

Every team in the NFL is beatable ... - As numerous "upsets" this season have proven over and over again ... And anything can happen in the play offs (just look at the previous past seasons) ...

Most likely the Vikings are saying the same about the Packers, that the Vikings would probably pick to face the Packers a third time (if they could) rather than facing the Eagles, since the Eagles are probably the only team that I really see being able to beat the Vikings in Minnesota at this point.

And don't forget, in the NFC the Vikings, is the only team left that hasn't lost at home ... - The Saints, Eagles, Cowboys and Cardinals have all lost home games ...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I'd take Dallas over any of those teams. Minny will be really tough... still. Eagles look scary, and Saints aren't gonna beat them selves up over these past two weeks. Cards will be a tough opponent to play two weeks in a row, especially if they rest their starters the first week.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I'd take Dallas over any of those teams. Minny will be really tough... still. Eagles look scary, and Saints aren't gonna beat them selves up over these past two weeks. Cards will be a tough opponent to play two weeks in a row, especially if they rest their starters the first week.

I think, since the play off berth is clinched already and the Packers will be playing the Cardinals twice, in Arizona no less ... The Packers should probably play their back-ups for most of that game ... - 1st quarter with the 1st string team, then the rest of the game with the 2nd string ...

I actually think the best case scenario would be a Packers loss to Arizona in the first game ... Ofcourse the Cardinals will probably be doing just that as well LOL ... - In any case I agree, for the Packers currently I really only see the Eagles and Vikings as those 2 teams in the NFC that will probably beat the Packers at this point ...

While the Saints have been having a terrific season so far (by all accounts in general), I've never seen them being as "dominant" as their record showed ... Probably, right now, I would peg the Eagles as the "Team to Beat" (currently) in the NFC ... - provided the Eagles are able to win against the Cowboys next week ...

Currently I would rate the teams (in terms of performance) as following;

1) Eagles
2) Vikings
3) Cardinals
4) Packers
5) Saints
6) Cowboys

I have the Vikings ahead of the Saints, despite losing 2 games out of 3 lately, because both loses have been against teams on the road, and against teams who are currently actually on a "roll", with the Panthers being heavily underrated, despite their record this season, and I actually believe that the Panthers will pull off another "upset" next week at home against the Saints ...

And we'll see whether or not the Eagles really are the "hot" team currently, pending on the outcome of the game against the Cowboys (which will determine the winner of the NFC East) ...

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. I think I figured everything out. This will be the matchups for the playoffs depending on what team beats who...
Scenario - Google Docs

I don't believe any scenario will allow the Packers to face the Eagles. However, there is a possibility that the Packers might face the Vikings again.

Hopefully you guys can understand the table. The current W-L records are in the next column next to the team names.
So thats a no that we cant play anyone other than the Cards

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
So thats a no that we cant play anyone other than the Cards

Correct ... - The only thing that may change is which team gets the #1 seed ... - Which would determine whether or not the Packers may or may not be able to face Minnesota again, either in the Game before the NFCG or in the NFCG itself, provided Minnesota actually manages to snatch the top seed from the Saints, and only if Minnesota then manages to win against either the Eagles or the Cowboys following ...

If the actual seeding holds as it is now, Minnesota will be facing the winner of the Packers @ Arizona wild card game.

Ofcourse if Minnesota loses out and the Eagles win out, then Minnesota will be playing the Cowboys in the wild card round, before facing possibly the Saints in New Orleans ... - Atleast that is how I understand it ...

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we have to win the game and hold the #5 seed just in case. As last year shows, any seed can make it deep into the playoffs. Heck both #6 seeds were in each Championship game last year.

I can honestly see any of the 6 teams winning the NFC. The Saints and Vikings have looked very beatable the last few weeks, while the Eagles, Cowboys and Packers have been hot. Arizona has been erratic but if they get hot, watch out.

In the AFC I really can't see anyone other than the Colts or Chargers winning the title.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm rooting for us to play Minnesota, I see them as the most beatable oponet.

If you see that, then you're blind.

What kind of guy watches in horror as the Vikings dismantle Green Bay and then has the gall to believe Green Bay will suddenly "win" the next game? It doesn't make any sense.

I'm telling you for the upteenth time, Green Bay does NOT match up well with Minnesota. What's it gonna take for you to understand this? Another Vikings win? Two more next year??? What???

Best case for Green Bay is playing at Arizona, and hoping not to face Minnesota or Philly before New Orleans.

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we did come up against the Vikings we would win that game. We know now how to beat them, Capers knows how to stop Favre and he knows how to Stop AP. 3 time is the charm and for us to knock them out would be the best.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we did come up against the Vikings we would win that game.

Really? I think I should be retired at 40.

We know now how to beat them

Yeah, those two games this season that the Vikings won handily really prove your point.

Capers knows how to stop Favre and he knows how to Stop AP.

Isn't Favre something like 11-0 against Dom Capers' led teams and defenses???

3 time is the charm and for us to knock them out would be the best.

Whatever helps get ya thru the day, I guess.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I think if we did come up against the Vikings we would win that game. We know now how to beat them, Capers knows how to stop Favre and he knows how to Stop AP. 3 time is the charm and for us to knock them out would be the best.

Capers and Green Bay doesn't know more about beating the Vikings than they did going into Minnesota the first time ... - Had 2 weeks to prep for the Home game against the Vikings at Lambeau Field, yet was beat again - at home this time even, fielding similar tactics ... - Or are you suggesting that a possible third match up would switch from instead of stopping AP to only be stopping Favre ?

Look through history and count the number of times where teams that have lost the previous 2 regular season games, actually manages to win the third match up in the play offs ... - It's actually not many times that has happened, whereas the team already having won twice, usually ends up winning the third match up as well ...

In all likelyhood if asked about it truthfully, I actually think McCarthy and Capers - if they could - would pick to be facing the other NFC play off teams way before facing the Vikings with Favre a third time, especially playing in Minnesota - if that was possible ...

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers and Green Bay doesn't know more about beating the Vikings than they did going into Minnesota the first time ... - Had 2 weeks to prep for the Home game against the Vikings at Lambeau Field, yet was beat again - at home this time even, fielding similar tactics ... - Or are you suggesting that a possible third match up would switch from instead of stopping AP to only be stopping Favre ?

Look through history and count the number of times where teams that have lost the previous 2 regular season games, actually manages to win the third match up in the play offs ... - It's actually not many times that has happened, whereas the team already having won twice, usually ends up winning the third match up as well ...

In all likelyhood if asked about it truthfully, I actually think McCarthy and Capers - if they could - would pick to be facing the other NFC play off teams way before facing the Vikings with Favre a third time, especially playing in Minnesota - if that was possible ...

But I can think of at least one time it did happen.....in 2004. I remember it as though it was yesterday. The Packers beat the Vikings twice during the regular season, won the division, but the Vikings came into Lambeau and beat the Packers in the playoffs.

Would we beat the Vikings if we played them again? Maybe. It would certainly be tough. But both the games that we lost were fairly close and I think it goes without saying that we are better now than we were back before the Tampa game. And I think it goes without saying the Vikings have not played very well recently.

Even if we lose, I want the Packers to get another crack at the Vikings. The Vikings would have much more to lose than we would.

I'm not too worried about AP if we play them again, what would worry me is whether or not we can stop Favre. Williams has played well and Bush actually got an INT so hopefully he builds off of that. Bigby has come to life recently, I was saying it to someone just a few weeks ago that Bigby had been playing better recently.

But for now lets just think about Arizona.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I can think of at least one time it did happen.....in 2004. I remember it as though it was yesterday. The Packers beat the Vikings twice during the regular season, won the division, but the Vikings came into Lambeau and beat the Packers in the playoffs.

Would we beat the Vikings if we played them again? Maybe. It would certainly be tough. But both the games that we lost were fairly close and I think it goes without saying that we are better now than we were back before the Tampa game. And I think it goes without saying the Vikings have not played very well recently.

Even if we lose, I want the Packers to get another crack at the Vikings. The Vikings would have much more to lose than we would.

I'm not too worried about AP if we play them again, what would worry me is whether or not we can stop Favre. Williams has played well and Bush actually got an INT so hopefully he builds off of that. Bigby has come to life recently, I was saying it to someone just a few weeks ago that Bigby had been playing better recently.

But for now lets just think about Arizona.

I don't believe the games were as "close" as you suggest. The Green Bay defense could simply not stop the Vikings passing attack. Sure, they shut down All Day both times this year, but which team hasn't? He's mortal with no running lanes to run thru.

Favre would tear up the Green Bay defense again. He's a creature of habit and with few exceptions, the teams and schemes he plays well against, he usually does the vast majority of the time.

Minnesota lost their star MLB, but their scoring defense sucked from day 1 and Green Bay put up plenty of points both times. The problem for Green Bay is that their defense is easily exploitable by Minnesota and matches up very poorly with Minny's offense.

Sure, things can change, and maybe Minnesota is worse than I am assuming, but we'll see tonite. If they struggle scoring points against the Bears and that porous run defense, then all bets are off.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are selling minn a little short on this. I dont think they are as bad as you say they are(but who knows). I will say that Phili looks good but I'll believe it when I see it. Last night they allowed Denver back into the game and didn't really play a complete game. If Minn happens to get home field they will go to the sb.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to play Minny again

I think it would be a loss, but I dont think it would be so set in stone as a few of the "Viking fans" here think it would be...

Our team is pretty different right now then it was when they played the last time..and if anyone says different then they havent watched the Packers at all in the last 8 weeks...That alone is what makes me think it would be closer..

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it would be a loss, but I dont think it would be so set in stone as a few of the "Viking fans" here think it would be...

Our team is pretty different right now then it was when they played the last time..and if anyone says different then they havent watched the Packers at all in the last 8 weeks...That alone is what makes me think it would be closer..

But, for every two or three yesterday games, Green Bay tosses in a Pitt, Minny or Cincy game, where they REALLY struggle facing good offenses - not stellar offenses. Green Bay's problem is "stopping" certain schemes, while Minnesota's problem is "starting" against certain schemes.

But, I agree anything could happen.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Ofcourse no game is "set in stone" in the NFL, as numerous "upsets" have proven through the weeks, however, during the Pre-Season and even before most of the experts and analysists as well as most (Packer) fans had the Packers as Super Bowl Favourites and lock to win the NFC North ...

Every team in the NFL is different now than they were just 8 weeks ago ... Granted some have the same players, but it's not the "same" team ...

Playing against Minnesota at home or against them in the Dome is very different, as the Bengals will probably attest to ... And as we've seen from the Cardinals and Panthers also ... - However, again, looking at the Cardinals and Panthers, neither are teams that are "bad" and the Panthers being heavily underrated despite their losing record ... - And don't forget, the Vikings is the only single NFC team left that is still unbeaten at home ...

Best case scenario for the Packers is if some other team beats Minnesota before ... - That is really only how I see the Packers with a possibility to go to the NFCG this year and win it ... - Which would also require Minnesota to win out against the Bears and Giants (both very possible it would seem now more than ever), while the Saints stumble (again) away against the Panthers, which again, seems very likely having seen the Panthers play the way they have these past 2 weeks ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best case scenario for the Packers is if some other team beats Minnesota before ... - That is really only how I see the Packers with a possibility to go to the NFCG this year and win it ... - Which would also require Minnesota to win out against the Bears and Giants (both very possible it would seem now more than ever), while the Saints stumble (again) away against the Panthers, which again, seems very likely having seen the Panthers play the way they have these past 2 weeks ...

I agree that Minnesota's best chance for the Super Bowl is a match up seeing Green Bay beating Arizona, while Minny gets the bye.

Can Dallas take out Philly in Dallas this weekend? I have no idea. Whoever wins would be hosting the same team the following week. Could Dallas win at Philly? I think I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that they could not. Could Philly win at Dallas? I would say they have a better shot.

That leaves Green Bay traveling to the Dome where Minnesota takes them out. Philly at New Orleans? My hunch says that New Orleans is becoming exploitable and what a bad match up for them in having to play Philly.

Minnesota can hang with New Orleans because New Orleans doesn't have the type of defense that gives WCO offenses fits, a la Pitt, Arizona, etc. Philly playing at Minnesota for the NFCCG? They smoked Minnesota last season in the dome 26-14, but the Vikings didn't have Favre, but their defense was much less flexible (or, simply much better). I see Philly winning that match up and I can honestly say there isn't a team I despise more in the NFL than Philly. It may have something to do with Nick Barnett and the infamous 4-n-27 debacle.

:happy0005:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Waffle Head played for the Pack, we knew how he let us down.
And now Minny will get to experience that. I can't help but feel that history will repeat.
I feel much better with our chances with A-Rod at the helm. Especially while he's getting better and Waffle Head is getting worse.

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had some issue the first 2 games we played minny but now I think we have those all addressed and here is how I think the game would go if we played them.

We kick off to minny and then Favre first pass is picked off by Woodson for a TD. We kick off to them again and then the first play is a run, Bj hit AP so hard the ball pops out and Clay picks it up for another TD. 3rd series we take them 3 and out and then our O hits the field and scores and it just keeps going like that.

Members online