Is Aaron Rodgers getting too much praise? Will it effect his preperation?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Rodgers will throw 50 TD's this coming season. I really do. You read it right here.

I dont think our O line is good enough to give him that kind of time. His weapons are good enough though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oddly enough Otto was an All Pro 3x his first 3 years in the NFL. (Remember All Pro is not the same as the pro bowl) 2x first team and 1x 2nd team.

First year in the NFL - Otto was 3rd in passer rating (ill use your qualifications). Aaron was 6th.

2nd year in the NFL - Otto was 3rd again (very close though) Arod was 4th.

3rd year in the NFL - Otto was 3rd for a 3rd time in a row but had a very favre like year when he lead the league in TDs, INTs, yards, and completions. Arod was 3rd this year and a sliver away from 2nd.

Ill take Marinos first 3 years over Youngs (though starting when your 30 kind of spoils the whole first 3 years thing).

Being 3rd compared to the QBs in his class. He still was below 90's in QB rating. I know, different eras, but it's still not the same.

And, yes, it's important, because Starr, regardless of era, still had the best postseason QB rating, in the 100's, and for 10 games! Not of his era, of all time!

And for Young, Marino, not even close.

Young actually had 4 consecutive 100+ ratings seasons, in his first 4 seasons as a starter for the 49ers (yes, in his 30's, but we're not talking about 3 first years in the league, 3 first years as a starter, regardless of how that happened)

Marino only had 1 100+ rating season in his whole career.

Not even close.

And I've already said that All Pro is gibberish. Take 97 for an example. Favre was named the All Pro QB. Okay, right?

Favre in 97: 3867 yards, 35 TDs, 16 INTs, 59.3% completion, 7.5 YPA, 92.6 rating. GB went 13-3

Young in 97: 3029 yards, 19 Tds, 6 INTS, 67.5% completion, 8.5 YPA, 104.7 rating. And he missed a game. His team went 12-3 with him.

Yet Favre was voted to the All Pro. Why? Because he put up more yards and TDs, which is all that matters for voters. Young had a much better, much more efficient season. And he wasn't dinking and dunking. His YPA (IMHO the second most important stat for a QB) was a great 8.5, which means he was completing long passes.

And, still, this is only about regular season. I'm including postseason when talking about the best 3 years of starting. And I've already said how Graham fared in that regard.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being 3rd compared to the QBs in his class. He still was below 90's in QB rating. I know, different eras, but it's still not the same.

And, yes, it's important, because Starr, regardless of era, still had the best postseason QB rating, in the 100's, and for 10 games! Not of his era, of all time!

And for Young, Marino, not even close.

Young actually had 4 consecutive 100+ ratings seasons, in his first 4 seasons as a starter for the 49ers (yes, in his 30's, but we're not talking about 3 first years in the league, 3 first years as a starter, regardless of how that happened)

Marino only had 1 100+ rating season in his whole career.

Not even close.

And I've already said that All Pro is gibberish. Take 97 for an example. Favre was named the All Pro QB. Okay, right?

Favre in 97: 3867 yards, 35 TDs, 16 INTs, 59.3% completion, 7.5 YPA, 92.6 rating. GB went 13-3

Young in 97: 3029 yards, 19 Tds, 6 INTS, 67.5% completion, 8.5 YPA, 104.7 rating. And he missed a game. His team went 12-3 with him.

Yet Favre was voted to the All Pro. Why? Because he put up more yards and TDs, which is all that matters for voters. Young had a much better, much more efficient season. And he wasn't dinking and dunking. His YPA (IMHO the second most important stat for a QB) was a great 8.5, which means he was completing long passes.

And, still, this is only about regular season. I'm including postseason when talking about the best 3 years of starting. And I've already said how Graham fared in that regard.

Nice to see you point out the Bart Starr stat that I use all the time. And correct, Graham won a title his first year in the NFL. to add to the already numberous ones he had.

No I dont remember you saying all pro was gibberish. I remember you saying pro bowl is gibberish and getting the two mixed up. But this is the first time I have seen you complain about it. While I am sure its easy to cherry pick (Favre and Young had a great year that year) its by far its the most legit honor.

I think we look at things differently, as I compare how they did in comparison to the players they play against and how dominate they were in a certain year you seem to stick with a certain number in the QB rating and consider everything else garbage. Flawed that is imo but watev.

Bart Starr had many reg season where he was well under a hundred, and many he was under 80. Like you said different era. Thats why it doesnt compare era to era. You have to look at each one on its own.

Again with the cherry picking you ignore several years of starting for Young from the USFL, which is fine I guess as PFR doesnt count it, then you mention ignoring Tampa bay as well. It would be one thing to pick lets say Warren Moon and use his first years in the league its another thing to take young and only use the years he started in SF, not tampa.

Marino dominated (with a great team that seems to be forgotten over time) like no one in his first 3 years. Dude set the NFL RECORD for TD passes his 2nd season and went to a SB. And lead the league in your precious Passer rating (Arod has yet to do that but will I believe). Following year he lead the league in yards and TDs again.

Marino put together the greatest passing season to date in NFL history his 2nd year in the NFL. Hard to top that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope were having this argument next year after Rodgers crushes the league and wins another title. Then I would agree he has the best first 4 years.

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope were having this argument next year after Rodgers crushes the league and wins another title. Then I would agree he has the best first 4 years.

This thread will be out of date like the other one about "Rodgers should be traded NOW"

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see you point out the Bart Starr stat that I use all the time. And correct, Graham won a title his first year in the NFL. to add to the already numberous ones he had.

No I dont remember you saying all pro was gibberish. I remember you saying pro bowl is gibberish and getting the two mixed up. But this is the first time I have seen you complain about it. While I am sure its easy to cherry pick (Favre and Young had a great year that year) its by far its the most legit honor.

I think we look at things differently, as I compare how they did in comparison to the players they play against and how dominate they were in a certain year you seem to stick with a certain number in the QB rating and consider everything else garbage. Flawed that is imo but watev.

Bart Starr had many reg season where he was well under a hundred, and many he was under 80. Like you said different era. Thats why it doesnt compare era to era. You have to look at each one on its own.

Again with the cherry picking you ignore several years of starting for Young from the USFL, which is fine I guess as PFR doesnt count it, then you mention ignoring Tampa bay as well. It would be one thing to pick lets say Warren Moon and use his first years in the league its another thing to take young and only use the years he started in SF, not tampa.

Marino dominated (with a great team that seems to be forgotten over time) like no one in his first 3 years. Dude set the NFL RECORD for TD passes his 2nd season and went to a SB. And lead the league in your precious Passer rating (Arod has yet to do that but will I believe). Following year he lead the league in yards and TDs again.

Marino put together the greatest passing season to date in NFL history his 2nd year in the NFL. Hard to top that.
I'm not cherry picking or ignoring his time with Tampa. In fact, in previous posts I did mention how I came up with his first 3 years as a full-starter, because he only had 1 full year as a starter in Tampa (his second). And I did mention that you had to make such adaptation to compare him to Rodgers... Here's what I said:

One guy that had a better 3 first starting years, stat wise, than Rodgers was Young.

But you'd have to exclude his first year starting as a Buccaneer. And he didn't win a champinship the 3 first years with the 49ers, though he won it in his 4th.

But that isn't important, the debate is still Rodgers' first 3 years as a full-time starter vs. everyone else.

All pro is still a very flawed voting system. And comparing Otto only to his peers still doesn't make justice, because it doesn't take into account any of the other QBs that ever played.

And it still doesn't take into account postseason. Nor does Marino. And he had only that great year, between two very good, but not elite years. And BTW, Young had a better year in 94. So did Manning in 2004 and so did Brady both in 07 and last year. For all the gaudy stats that Marino put, he still threw for 17 picks in 84.

Anyway, 3 first years, 2 with 100+ ratings, for an average QB rating of 99.4, an average of 8.0 YPA, average of 4131 yards, 28 TDs and just 10 ints, with a 64.6% completion in the regular season.

And in the postseason is just stupid.
67.8% completion. 303 yards per game. 2.6 TDs per game. 0.6 INTs per game. 8.7 YPA for a QB rating of 112.6, with a SB MVP and a SB ring.

That is unheard of. But if disagree and think that Otto Graham playing the T formation and throwing more picks than TDs is better, so be it...

And the point about Starr is, people talk about how back then it was harder and etc, but Starr still was able to play better than everyone else ever. So it was doable, even if by the greatest QB ever. And we are, indeed, talking about the best ever, at his first 3 starting years.

I'm not talking about career achievements, because Rodgers still has a long way to go to be in the conversation with Manning, Graham and Starr. But first 3 years as a starter, subjective as that is? He's better.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not cherry picking or ignoring his time with Tampa. In fact, in previous posts I did mention how I came up with his first 3 years as a full-starter, because he only had 1 full year as a starter in Tampa (his second). And I did mention that you had to make such adaptation to compare him to Rodgers... Here's what I said:

But that isn't important, the debate is still Rodgers' first 3 years as a full-time starter vs. everyone else.

All pro is still a very flawed voting system. And comparing Otto only to his peers still doesn't make justice, because it doesn't take into account any of the other QBs that ever played.

And it still doesn't take into account postseason. Nor does Marino. And he had only that great year, between two very good, but not elite years. And BTW, Young had a better year in 94. So did Manning in 2004 and so did Brady both in 07 and last year. For all the gaudy stats that Marino put, he still threw for 17 picks in 84.

Anyway, 3 first years, 2 with 100+ ratings, for an average QB rating of 99.4, an average of 8.0 YPA, average of 4131 yards, 28 TDs and just 10 ints, with a 64.6% completion in the regular season.

And in the postseason is just stupid.
67.8% completion. 303 yards per game. 2.6 TDs per game. 0.6 INTs per game. 8.7 YPA for a QB rating of 112.6, with a SB MVP and a SB ring.

That is unheard of. But if disagree and think that Otto Graham playing the T formation and throwing more picks than TDs is better, so be it...

And the point about Starr is, people talk about how back then it was harder and etc, but Starr still was able to play better than everyone else ever. So it was doable, even if by the greatest QB ever. And we are, indeed, talking about the best ever, at his first 3 starting years.

I'm not talking about career achievements, because Rodgers still has a long way to go to be in the conversation with Manning, Graham and Starr. But first 3 years as a starter, subjective as that is? He's better.

I mention you talking about his tampa years earlier and you seem to just skip over that. I guess your arguing with yourself on that one

yeah 17 picks, but when you throw for records, some that still havent been broken (yards), your bound to have some of those. Like I said before, at the time it was the greatest passing season in NFL history. Now I would list it as 3rd or 4th best all time I think.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didnt Bart Starr throw more INTs than TDs in 7 of his seasons?

Pot? Meet kettle.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt Bart Starr throw more INTs than TDs in 7 of his seasons?

Pot? Meet kettle.
Yes. What's the point? I don't remember talking about Starr being better than Rodgers in his first 3 years...

And I'm talking about Starr in the playoffs (as a whole, not in his first 3 or 7 years), where it's not the case...

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did Rodgers say on the podium during the trophy presentation, after Bradshaw praised him for the throw to Jennings? He said he wished they had finished it off (with a TD).

I think Rodgers knows how much the Defense is responsible for the season (and rightly they should since TT has skewed the payroll heavily in favor of the D - 59/40/1 split between the D/O/ST). The D scored the winning margin in both the NFCCG and the SB on pick sixes, and the pick six in the Divisional Game helped turn the tide.

It would take a pretty shallow person to all of a sudden believe that they were the prime mover behind something when they had reason to know it was sourced somewhere else. I don't think Rodgers is. He knows they have to improve on the offensive side of the ball and be consistent. I am confident enough that knows this and it burns him. Some guys may coast now that they have a 4-ouncer on their index finger, but Rodgers won't be one of them.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
From all I've seen of Aaron Rodgers is the hardest working most level headed professional athlete I've ever seen. The rumors around Green Bay of Favre having to be helped into the back of taxis downtown because he was so drunk were all over the place. I've never heard one such rumor about Aaron Rodgers. He appears to be a consummate professional. I think he is still hungry and still feels slighted about not being recruited out of high school and having to play in junior college. He's still upset about all the teams that passed on him in the draft. We are going to be witnessing something very special as Packer fans over the next 8 years or so. We are so lucky he is our quarterback. We won the lottery.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From all I've seen of Aaron Rodgers is the hardest working most level headed professional athlete I've ever seen. The rumors around Green Bay of Favre having to be helped into the back of taxis downtown because he was so drunk were all over the place. I've never heard one such rumor about Aaron Rodgers. He appears to be a consummate professional. I think he is still hungry and still feels slighted about not being recruited out of high school and having to play in junior college. He's still upset about all the teams that passed on him in the draft. We are going to be witnessing something very special as Packer fans over the next 8 years or so. We are so lucky he is our quarterback. We won the lottery.

He has changed since he became the face of the franchise but before he was a starter I had to step sideways one night to avoid him and his puke as he was laying on the curb in front of the bar. In Wisconsin but not GB. I know there are pictures on the forum somewhere from earlier that night of him enjoying himself. But I wouldn't hold that against him. I know that's been me a few times. The stories you hear of him now are of him just hanging out with his neighbors at the golf course. Class act when the time came for him to act like it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think any of those is any indicament of the guy not being a class act. If it's in their leisure time, what's the problem? Let the guy get drunk all he want. Sure, if he's a perennial drunk, it's a problem, but if it doesn't affect his play...

Now, if he was married and was ******** around, it's another issue...

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I have no fear that Rodgers won't loose anything this year. (Always assuming there WILL be a this year) After all, he handled being Favre's successor with no problems.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll come back strong again, but it really is up in the air. What he went through emotionally these last couple of years is completely different than what he's going through now. As much as he tells the media he didn't, I think he played like he had something to prove.

Not too much to prove now after winning the SB. We'll see. Go pack!

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
He has changed since he became the face of the franchise but before he was a starter I had to step sideways one night to avoid him and his puke as he was laying on the curb in front of the bar. In Wisconsin but not GB. I know there are pictures on the forum somewhere from earlier that night of him enjoying himself. But I wouldn't hold that against him. I know that's been me a few times. The stories you hear of him now are of him just hanging out with his neighbors at the golf course. Class act when the time came for him to act like it.

Right on. I've actually never seen Rodgers downtown. I have heard things from when he was a rookie, but yeah, I everything I have seen and heard downtown he has definitely classed it up since being in the spotlight. Can't say the same thing about some other members of the team. I once saw Jarrett Bush bartending at Brewbakers the night before a game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right on. I've actually never seen Rodgers downtown. I have heard things from when he was a rookie, but yeah, I everything I have seen and heard downtown he has definitely classed it up since being in the spotlight. Can't say the same thing about some other members of the team. I once saw Jarrett Bush bartending at Brewbakers the night before a game.

If Arod would have gotten in trouble that first season as a starter the critics would have gone into overdrive. It would have been a disaster. Glad he stepped up.

At least now if he gets in trouble he might skate when the cop sees the SB ring... almost worked for Big Ben...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Rodgers is the kind of guy that will never get complacent.

In fact, if there's one single trait I attribute to Rodgers, is driven. Borderline vengeful.

The guy remembers every single criticism attributed to him, and has made it a personal quest to show them wrong and rub it in their faces.

He does it to Homer every single time (IIRC Homer said Romo was better than Rodgers). And we all remember him blasting Kornheiser, because Kornheiser had questined him in a MNF broadcast. He has also gone on Colin Cowherd and questioned him about not putting him as an elite QB. He's still pissed about not getting recruited, he's still pissed about having to wait on draft day.

Rodgers holds grudges, and that motivates him. While I'm pretty sure that's really bad to his health, it makes him a better player. You can be sure that he still remembers the fans booing him in practice, and while he's very gracious with us fans, I bet that is always lingering in his mind when he sees the fans and interact with them.
I'll admit RS, you said it exactly as I would have. I don't worry one second about him being complacent. I don't think he has it in him. From junior college to the pros he's taken every thing personally and has prepared and worked for every accolade he's receiving. I can't imagine him relaxing until he's retired.
Two interviews stick with me. In the offseason following the Cardinals loss he was admitting his fault to Deion and you could just see how even he was. Second, during Super Bowl week he wasn't fazed, he wasn't dazzled by the bright lights. He said he did his homework and was okay and ready to play the game.
It speaks volumes about h is preparation and emotional makeup. He's not complacent nor nervous, very even keel. Does his homework and believes in his abilities. There isn't a thing I don't like about his game or attitude.
Yep, if he can keep healthy, this guy is a HOFer.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
He WILL be MVP of the league this season. I can't wait for football, mostly just to see Aaron play. It truly is beautiful watching him play.

Members online

Latest posts