Is Aaron Rodgers getting too much praise? Will it effect his preperation?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron has done a lot in a short 3 years as the Packers MAIN MAN...Handled distraction before his career really even started...His stats as a 3 year starter are rediculous...his combination of Scrambling and Passing as a QB makes him one of the toughest to defend...He owned the Steeler's feared and prideful defense...Won a Superbowl MVP

Is Rodgers getting too much praise? I only bring this up b/c I read a little bit of Bucky Brook's article
[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8207e213/article/rodgers-great-but-must-accomplish-more-to-be-called-best-qbmodule=HP_spotlight"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8207e213/article/rodgers-great-but-must-accomplish-more-to-be-called-best-qb?module=HP_spotlight
[/URL]

I just wonder if Aaron is hungry enough to not allow any of this "praise" to get to his head.

I'd like to think it won't, but he is human after all...if it were me I'd be drinking the Koolaide...it's happened before

I'm hoping he keeps his focus high and continues to own the NFL.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little worried thinking about that too. After all the accolades and awards I hope he realizes everyone will be coming after him even harder this season. Hopefully he stays focused and grounded. He seems like a guy that would stay level headed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont see him having a let down..He went thru so much 1st two years to give up now..He *seems* to be level headed and will act accordingly

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree... He will come back ready to play... he is all business!

There is one thing wrong with this TOP 100 OF 2011. Some guys are being ranked by their career stats, others are being ranked by their 2010 stats.

Here are the stats for the 4 top QBs

Rodgers
TDS 28
INT 11
YDS 3,922
RTG 101.2

Brees
TDS 33
INT 22
YDS 4,620
RTG 90.9

Brady
TDS 36
INT 4
YDS 3,900
RTG 111.0

Manning
TDS 33
INT 17
YDS 4,700
RTG 91.9

Look at Rodgers numbers. He threw 5 less TDs than Brees but Brees threw twice as many INTS. The threw for more yards than brady and had a better passer rating than all but Brady. In my books that makes him the number 2 QB from 2010. I believe last year Brady was the best because of the TDS to INT ratio, but he played better than brees and manning.

but if you base it on career stats, sure rodgers is in the right spot because the other guys have been starters longer and have proved over a period of time they are the best

They should have worked out the criteria long before putting this list together.

Oh and Bucky Brooks doesnt have a clue about whos who

PWC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has faced more adversity than most quarterbacks do coming into a starting job. He seems to have developed a very level and cool personality in response to that. He has responded to problems with a maturity not common in the NFL, and I think he understands that the true greats have one more than one championship. Rodgers will be able to tune out the praise the same way he tuned out the enormous expectations and focused on doing his job.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Armand, the same thought is stuck in my head, too. I am optimistic that Rodgers keeps his head out of the clouds, but it is not a certainty.

One thing that might keep him focused is the knowledge that the Packers will likely be fielding an even stronger offensive squad than he had at his disposal last season- one more season seniority for the young guys, a lot more confidence, and the return of Finley, Grant, and Driver.

If injuries don't decimate the team once again, the opportunity is there for the Packers to dominate-- not just in the post season, but all season long. Should this occur, Rodgers could cement his status as one of the greats. Well, maybe not cement the whole HOF statue quite yet, but at least the truck would start pouring the base...

Aaron knows this. It's his for the taking. Just need to stay focused and deliver.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Totally agree PWC... I also think that he's seen enough of what could happen when you let accolades go to your head, that he would NOT want to go down that path!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I began to think of that after the SB win. It's kind of natural to think of it but I also think that if ever there was a QB equipped to handle this kind of pressure, it would be Aaron Rodgers. To me, he has already proven himself. I got some faith in him!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who cares where he was ranked and who was above him..

He won the SB and was the MVP I will take that every year and him not even being in the top 100

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was too relaxed in the playoffs when he went out to basketball games and concerts but he seemed to be fine then, so I dont think I will read into it too much more.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I think the praise that he is receiving is the good kind. You know the " you are pretty damn good kid but if you work even harder you can be great". This kind of positive reinforcement is what he needs. Instead of saying he is an unstoppable God you keep him grounded and focused at the same time. It also helps that nothing is good enough for himself. He wants more and expects more from himself. There is a million more things we are going to see from Rodgers and I think they will all be amazing.
The only thing I found interesting about this article was when the author said maybe it was the Packs defense that helped Rodgers win cannot the same be said for Roethlisberger?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the kind of guy that will never get complacent.

In fact, if there's one single trait I attribute to Rodgers, is driven. Borderline vengeful.

The guy remembers every single criticism attributed to him, and has made it a personal quest to show them wrong and rub it in their faces.

He does it to Homer every single time (IIRC Homer said Romo was better than Rodgers). And we all remember him blasting Kornheiser, because Kornheiser had questined him in a MNF broadcast. He has also gone on Colin Cowherd and questioned him about not putting him as an elite QB. He's still pissed about not getting recruited, he's still pissed about having to wait on draft day.

Rodgers holds grudges, and that motivates him. While I'm pretty sure that's really bad to his health, it makes him a better player. You can be sure that he still remembers the fans booing him in practice, and while he's very gracious with us fans, I bet that is always lingering in his mind when he sees the fans and interact with them.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must not have read the entire article, hardly something that would get to his head. I agree he isn't Brady or Manning (yet), anyone that questions his ability over Rapelisberger is just spouting off at the mouth.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO PackersRS has it right. Rodgers was "disrespected" coming out of high school as he didn't receive one scholarship off from a division one school and then he was "disrespected" in the draft and then again by "Favre-first" fans in Green Bay. He's very smart and he does indeed remember all the criticisms and slights he's received. Jason Wilde has said on Homer's show that Rodgers (Homer calls him "Chuck" in case you listen in and wonder who Chuck is) fully realizes he has to win more Super Bowls to cement his position as a great QB.

Also, I feel compelled to mention this in every thread in which Rodgers is the main subject: He has now qualified for career NFL regular season and career post season records. As he heads into the 2011 season, he has the highest passer rating in regular season games in the history of the NFL. And he has the highest passer rating in post season history. Yes, he has a long way to go in his career, but he is off to an historically fantastic start.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO PackersRS has it right. Rodgers was "disrespected" coming out of high school as he didn't receive one scholarship off from a division one school and then he was "disrespected" in the draft and then again by "Favre-first" fans in Green Bay. He's very smart and he does indeed remember all the criticisms and slights he's received. Jason Wilde has said on Homer's show that Rodgers (Homer calls him "Chuck" in case you listen in and wonder who Chuck is) fully realizes he has to win more Super Bowls to cement his position as a great QB.

Also, I feel compelled to mention this in every thread in which Rodgers is the main subject: He has now qualified for career NFL regular season and career post season records. As he heads into the 2011 season, he has the highest passer rating in regular season games in the history of the NFL. And he has the highest passer rating in post season history. Yes, he has a long way to go in his career, but he is off to an historically fantastic start.
No quarterback in the history of the league has been as good and has accomplished as much as Rodgers in his first 3 years as a starter as Rodgers. Not a single one.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No quarterback in the history of the league has been as good and has accomplished as much as Rodgers in his first 3 years as a starter as Rodgers. Not a single one.

Otto Graham. Marino had a pretty good first 3 years as well but missed that title.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Otto Graham. Marino had a pretty good first 3 years as well but missed that title.

Rodgers would be much better than he is now if he was playing in the UFL... Which was what the AAFC was.

Or is it a coincidence that his rating dropped from 97.5 in his last year in the AAFC (1949) to 64.7 in his first year in the NFL (1950)?

101.1 was his average QB rating in the AAFC
79.61 was his average QB rating in the NFL

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would be much better than he is now if he was playing in the UFL... Which was what the AAFC was.

Or is it a coincidence that his rating dropped from 97.5 in his last year in the AAFC (1949) to 64.7 in his first year in the NFL (1950)?

101.1 was his average QB rating in the AAFC
79.61 was his average QB rating in the NFL

I dont think a UFL team could win the NFL championship their first year. Which is what the Browns did.

Otto lead the AAFC 2x in QB rating (really? QB rating? dont you complain about this stat?) and then lead the NFL in QB rating 2x. Im sad to see you discount the accomplishments of one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I know Rodgers would never admit it but i think in his mind the score is tied 1-1(with #4) and he's ready to be the best in the NFL. If he keeps this up he's destined to be in the likes of Montana.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting through Favre years proves the kid's got the mentality to belong in the NFL and his play has solidified that notion. I'm not worried about the praise so long as he continues to work like the past 3 years.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think a UFL team could win the NFL championship their first year. Which is what the Browns did.

Otto lead the AAFC 2x in QB rating (really? QB rating? dont you complain about this stat?) and then lead the NFL in QB rating 2x. Im sad to see you discount the accomplishments of one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.
No I don't complain about QB rating. It doesn't show precisely if one QB is better than the other, but it shows with some accuracy how well the QB performed. Below 80's is a bad game. 80's to early 90's is a good game. 90's to 100's is a very good game. Above that, it was a fantastic, one of a kind game.

What qb rating does is tier the QBs properly.

And regarding Otto, I'm not downgrading him, he's one of the best ever, definitively top 10 material.

But he did not have as good of 3 first starting years as Rodgers. Not even close. He did win a championship (if you're counting NFL, I'm not gonna count AAFC. It was terrible. There wasn't a single team that came off of there that succeeded in the NFL other than the Browns), but so did Roethlisberger.

He had a very poor 70.1 rating in his first 3 years starting in the league. Bart Starr, per example (considering that he basically shared dutties with LaMar McHan and Babe Parrilli for a large period of time) had 87.7 in his first 3 years as a full-time starter.

Postseason wasn't very good either. Though he had a fantastic second game throwing 4 TDs and only 1 int while also rushing for a lot of yards, that was his only game where he threw more TDs than int. He played 2 postseason games in 50, one was against the Giants where he threw a pick and no TDs, that was the second one against the Rams. Then in 51, he played the Rams, lost, and he threw 3 ints to 1 TD. Then in 52 against the Lions, he threw 1 int and no tds

One guy that had a better 3 first starting years, stat wise, than Rodgers was Young.

But you'd have to exclude his first year starting as a Buccaneer. And he didn't win a champinship the 3 first years with the 49ers, though he won it in his 4th.

Nobody had the combination of performance and championships in their first 3 years as a starter as Rodgers did.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Rodgers will throw 50 TD's this coming season. I really do. You read it right here.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I don't complain about QB rating. It doesn't show precisely if one QB is better than the other, but it shows with some accuracy how well the QB performed. Below 80's is a bad game. 80's to early 90's is a good game. 90's to 100's is a very good game. Above that, it was a fantastic, one of a kind game.

What qb rating does is tier the QBs properly.

And regarding Otto, I'm not downgrading him, he's one of the best ever, definitively top 10 material.

But he did not have as good of 3 first starting years as Rodgers. Not even close. He did win a championship (if you're counting NFL, I'm not gonna count AAFC. It was terrible. There wasn't a single team that came off of there that succeeded in the NFL other than the Browns), but so did Roethlisberger.

He had a very poor 70.1 rating in his first 3 years starting in the league. Bart Starr, per example (considering that he basically shared dutties with LaMar McHan and Babe Parrilli for a large period of time) had 87.7 in his first 3 years as a full-time starter.

Postseason wasn't very good either. Though he had a fantastic second game throwing 4 TDs and only 1 int while also rushing for a lot of yards, that was his only game where he threw more TDs than int. He played 2 postseason games in 50, one was against the Giants where he threw a pick and no TDs, that was the second one against the Rams. Then in 51, he played the Rams, lost, and he threw 3 ints to 1 TD. Then in 52 against the Lions, he threw 1 int and no tds

One guy that had a better 3 first starting years, stat wise, than Rodgers was Young.

But you'd have to exclude his first year starting as a Buccaneer. And he didn't win a champinship the 3 first years with the 49ers, though he won it in his 4th.

Nobody had the combination of performance and championships in their first 3 years as a starter as Rodgers did.

Oddly enough Otto was an All Pro 3x his first 3 years in the NFL. (Remember All Pro is not the same as the pro bowl) 2x first team and 1x 2nd team.

First year in the NFL - Otto was 3rd in passer rating (ill use your qualifications). Aaron was 6th.

2nd year in the NFL - Otto was 3rd again (very close though) Arod was 4th.

3rd year in the NFL - Otto was 3rd for a 3rd time in a row but had a very favre like year when he lead the league in TDs, INTs, yards, and completions. Arod was 3rd this year and a sliver away from 2nd.

Ill take Marinos first 3 years over Youngs (though starting when your 30 kind of spoils the whole first 3 years thing).

Members online

Latest posts