interesting article

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over at packersnotes.com, a position by position report on who looked good/not so good at the recent minicamps. The guy writing it said same old Janis; no improvement. Raved about Abby; route running, hands were outstanding, and has put on some weight.

H

HardRightEdge

Over at packersnotes.com, a position by position report on who looked good/not so good at the recent minicamps. The guy writing it said same old Janis; no improvement. Raved about Abby; route running, hands were outstanding, and has put on some weight.
Abbrederis has to get rid of that chop step going into his break. It messes with timing. It's a tell he's not going vertical.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gosh, I wouldn't put much stock in mini-camp reports. There are always guys "turning heads" every year that can't even make the practice squad. Some of that is politics but some guys don't put in the effort until it's go time. I may not agree with that approach to practicing, but training camp is where it matters and truly the preseason games.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason should be a tell all for Janis. God knows he has the talent and ability to be a game changing playmaker. Abby in my opinion is our best guy in the slot behind Cobb. That playoff game vs Arizona showed Abby getting open with great route running and Rodgers showing the trust in him to pick up 1st downs. There are a few articles this off-season having Abby as the oddman out, due to multiple reasons the most common being because the reciever Trevor Davis we drafted this year. From the Cal games I watched he provided little to that offense. Mainly straight line small receiver, whos whole game relied an winning deep. Abby brings much more in his game in my opinion as a fan. Whatever happens as long as they stay healthy they should put up awesome numbers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Preseason should be a tell all for Janis. God knows he has the talent and ability to be a game changing playmaker. Abby in my opinion is our best guy in the slot behind Cobb. That playoff game vs Arizona showed Abby getting open with great route running and Rodgers showing the trust in him to pick up 1st downs. There are a few articles this off-season having Abby as the oddman out, due to multiple reasons the most common being because the reciever Trevor Davis we drafted this year. From the Cal games I watched he provided little to that offense. Mainly straight line small receiver, whos whole game relied an winning deep. Abby brings much more in his game in my opinion as a fan. Whatever happens as long as they stay healthy they should put up awesome numbers.

The Packers drafting Trevor Davis made me wonder about Janis' future with the team as it seems both have a similar skill set.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers drafting Trevor Davis made me wonder about Janis' future with the team as it seems both have a similar skill set.
Both can run and jump, but the comparisons stop there.

As discussed many times, Janis has meaningful special teams value, particularly at gunner.

I take the drafting of Davis as a signal the Packers would like to add speed and better technical skills at the WR position while having a possible option in kick returns. In other words, I can't help but think they'd like to get away from Janis if they can do it with a modest investment in the form of a 5th. round pick.

I find this observation regarding Davis somewhat interesting, coming from Sam Seale, the Packers' west coast regional scout:

"Last year everybody dared us to go deep. I don't think they can do that with this kid....He has 10-inch hands. Up here in cold weather you need big hands. He went in traffic and took the big hit and held on to the football. That's what you need up here."

Note that Janis has small hands at 9", especially for a 6'3" guy. While not an absolute disqualifier, it is one more element in the picture of a guy who is still working past alligator arming throws.

It comes down to preseason competition...and whether another gunner emerges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Another interesting note is that While Jeff Janis was a projected 4-5th rounder
(mid-rounds) he slipped to a 7th round pick.
Trevor Davis was predicted late rounds or even undrafted But his stock rose and he went 5th round.
They essentially reversed draft roles

If All Jeff does is continue his Major studies on ST he will make the 53 man cut no problem. Playing a receiver/KR will be his Minor degree.
Conversely, if Trevor Davis doesn't prove himself quickly as a return guy/WR or Monty and Adams re-establish? he could easily land on the practice squad or worse
I wouldn't normally discount a 5th round pick that easily.. but we are loaded at WR

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Both can run and jump, but the comparison's stop there.

As discussed many times, Janis has meaningful special teams value, particularly at gunner.

Janis will most likely make the team based on his performance on special teams, especially with Goodson suspended the first four games.

It's possible the coaching staff continues to be reluctant to use him as a wide receiver though.

They are completely different receivers. Davis is tiny and fast. Janis is a big body physical reciever with deep speed. Only simularity is speed.

I wasn't talking about their body structure but their skill set as a wide receiver. Both are fast deep threats who have a decent vertical jump. The Packers drafting Davis indicates the coaching staff still doesn't feel comfortable about using Janis as a WR.

I wouldn't normally discount a 5th round pick that easily.. but we are loaded at WR

The receiving corps struggling last season should at least make you wonder if the Packers are truly loaded at the position.

H

HardRightEdge

The receiving corps struggling last season should at least make you wonder if the Packers are truly loaded at the position.
That's the million dollar question.

Unless forced to make premature assessments to fill paid column inches, it would be prudent to suspend judgments until we get a few weeks into the season. In preseason we can get some idea of how guys are shaping up, but I wouldn't put too much stock in how they perform against mostly backups and guys trying to make the squad while playing with the #2 QB. One should proceed with caution, given there's a question mark at every roster spot except one involving catching the football:

- Will Nelson be his old self?

- Was Cobb hampered by injuries or did he regress under the pressure of the big contract and as the presumptive #1 target?

- While Adams was clearly playing on bad wheels last season, will he be healthy and progress from a promising rookie season or is he just a low productivity complementary player?

- And as I presciently noted, if I may say so, at this time last season, you cannot expect 48 for 48 games out of the starters. Will Montgomery be ready to go? Will there be a legit deep threat on the bench (Janis? Davis?) if Nelson misses games?

- Even if the stars align in the WR group, there was a lingering problem in 2013 and 2014, where better secondaries playing 2-high safety were able to stifle the bread-and-butter downfield passing game. Will Cook provide a TE option missing since Finley's departure that can occupy one of those safeties and open up the downfield? And the backups at the position are just guys.

- In 2014, Lacy was showing himself to be legit threat out of the backfield. The issue here in 2015 has been commented on ad nauseam.

The lone exception to the question mark list is the "overpaid" Starks, a pretty fair receiver in his own right who's coming off a healthy season.

I think it is fair to say the odds that all of these question marks will be answered positively is unlikely. The odds that none of them will be resolved is perhaps more unlikely. So the question becomes whether some positive resolutions will be enough.

So, PFF's ranking shouldn't be all that much of a surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis will most likely make the team based on his performance on special teams, especially with Goodson suspended the first four games.

It's possible the coaching staff continues to be reluctant to use him as a wide receiver though.

I wasn't talking about their body structure but their skill set as a wide receiver. Both are fast deep threats who have a decent vertical jump. The Packers drafting Davis indicates the coaching staff still doesn't feel comfortable about using Janis as a WR.

This. Losing Nelson hurt, but many flaws were exposed.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This receiving corp is deep if they all stay healthy. Its deep in the sense that if any other receiver besides Nelson or Cobb go down. There is no dropoff in talent. You never know, it may get better? Think about it, if Adams gets hampered again having Nelson and Janis on the field might be dynamic? Personally I can see Jordy wide right, Janis wide left with Cobb and Abby in the slots and TyMo at Halfback being tricky and difficult to defend!

D

Deleted member 6794

This receiving corp is deep if they all stay healthy. Its deep in the sense that if any other receiver besides Nelson or Cobb go down. There is no dropoff in talent. You never know, it may get better? Think about it, if Adams gets hampered again having Nelson and Janis on the field might be dynamic? Personally I can see Jordy wide right, Janis wide left with Cobb and Abby in the slots and TyMo at Halfback being tricky and difficult to defend!

In my opinion a deep wide receiving corps would be able to still perform on a high level even after losing one of the top players at the position. That was obviously not the case with the Packers last season and by only adding Davis I'm not convinced the team would be better equipped to deal with the loss of either Nelson or Cobb.