Inside Linebacker

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I feel like I'm ******* Martinez and even I wouldn't call him below average.

We can get by with him... he simply doesn't make plays - just as no one else in the front seven makes plays.

And that's the problem.

A team can get by with any individual in the Packers front seven, but when your entire front seven is made up of "try hard" guys, aging unproductive veterans, and guys who would be backups on better teams - you've got the mess that is the Packers front seven.

I think Pettine has done a very good job of getting something out of nothing.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never thought we'd get to the point of calling Blake Martinez a below average player. He's not a world beater, but I'd say that he's a starter on at least half of all NFL teams, regardless of scheme.

The front seven does need help, we need 2 more players who can elevate the entire defense. Say what you want about Clay, but he's giving it his all on the field. I'd say the same about Blake and Fackrell even. But they need one more person to open the floodgates for em. That's why I'm advocating for Oliver on the DL, and Thompson at FS. Pressure forces QBs right into sacks(Mack's "butt sack"), and tight coverage obviously creates the "coverage sack". I am for introducing one more person into the ILB rotation because I wasn't thrilled at Burks, but I wouldn't go higher than the 4th Round.

Personally I'd really prefer Gute find a FA, we've only got 10 picks, and we really need to add like 15 players. Can't get it all in one Draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally I'd really prefer Gute find a FA, we've only got 10 picks, and we really need to add like 15 players. Can't get it all in one Draft.

Agreed and not only can you not get it all done in one draft, you can't expect much production out of your rookie class for awhile.

I think what Gute does in Free Agency is going to be a pretty good indicator of where he thinks this team is. Are they a few players away from contending or are they in semi-rebuild mode? If Gute thinks the later, I don't see him getting all that active in top FA's, but still active with the younger mid tier guys, as well as counting on hitting a home run in the draft with his 10 picks.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the hate for Blake.. He is probably one of the least worries of the Packers defensive players. There are way too many other softies in this defense that can't tackle.. Martinez is a solid ILB and the guy is one of the few on the team that can actually tackle properly.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and not only can you not get it all done in one draft, you can't expect much production out of your rookie class for awhile.

I think what Gute does in Free Agency is going to be a pretty good indicator of where he thinks this team is. Are they a few players away from contending or are they in semi-rebuild mode? If Gute thinks the later, I don't see him getting all that active in top FA's, but still active with the younger mid tier guys, as well as counting on hitting a home run in the draft with his 10 picks.

With 10 picks I would hope that Gute can hit on 4-5 of them for a solid draft class. We have 2 in the 1st so the job is already halfway done if you ask me, so he's really only looking for 2 or 3 out of the next 8 picks to hit on. With the proper FA additions that takes the pressure off the other 6 "duds" to perform early and focus on development.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m alright with Blake Martinez. I had to suffer through years of watching slow AJ Hawk..so Blake is an upgrade at least on that dept.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Martinez is one of the biggest bargains ($815,849 Cap hit with $95,849 of that being dead cap) on the Packers right now, he isn't going anywhere. Matter of fact, the Packers will probably try to figure out a way to resign him before the 2019 season is up.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never thought we'd get to the point of calling Blake Martinez a below average player. He's not a world beater, but I'd say that he's a starter on at least half of all NFL teams, regardless of scheme.

The front seven does need help, we need 2 more players who can elevate the entire defense. Say what you want about Clay, but he's giving it his all on the field. I'd say the same about Blake and Fackrell even. But they need one more person to open the floodgates for em. That's why I'm advocating for Oliver on the DL, and Thompson at FS. Pressure forces QBs right into sacks(Mack's "butt sack"), and tight coverage obviously creates the "coverage sack". I am for introducing one more person into the ILB rotation because I wasn't thrilled at Burks, but I wouldn't go higher than the 4th Round.

I would love to be able to get Oliver and Thompson in the draft, but neither one is likely unless we take Thompson with our first of the 1st rounders. Oliver most likely will be gone by the time we pick...if he's not, we had better sprint to take him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to be able to get Oliver and Thompson in the draft, but neither one is likely unless we take Thompson with our first of the 1st rounders. Oliver most likely will be gone by the time we pick...if he's not, we had better sprint to take him.

Thompson's Draft position has been fickle....I've seen him go Top 15 in mocks and then also lasted til our pick from the Saints. He is interchangeable with Jaquon Johnson, so either will do.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson's Draft position has been fickle....I've seen him go Top 15 in mocks and then also lasted til our pick from the Saints. He is interchangeable with Jaquon Johnson, so either will do.

I'm a pretty big Miami fan...those two are very far from interchangeable.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we can agree to disagree then. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me if Johnson falls to the 2nd, but this is a very slim S class. The rest are no higher than 3rd-4th Round tweeners, and we need an impact player at the position to make our front seven better.

To bring the thread topic back into focus, Buffalo plays Troy in a bowl game, and one of my favorite prospects Khalil Hodge will be on display to impress the scouts. The tape should be good.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with that is neither guy imo is great in pass coverage...which is the MAIN reason they wanted Burks inside.
Good point. Given other needs, I don’t see them drafting an ILB early. Maybe FA?

Kenosha Joe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the hate for Blake.. He is probably one of the least worries of the Packers defensive players. There are way too many other softies in this defense that can't tackle.. Martinez is a solid ILB and the guy is one of the few on the team that can actually tackle properly.

AMEN, Martinez is a great tackler!!!! Wish there were others.
Big problem most of our linebackers are slow in coverage, especially Mathews.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For this added reason, I'd be extremely disappointed to take him with our first pick. MAYBE, MAYBE with our second first rounder at the end of the first and he is BPA. But right now, I am of the opinion that EDGE has to be the target with the first, and either stud OL/WR/RB has to be the second pick. Get FA's for S and ILB since these positions are somewhat undervalued on the FA market and provide depth in the later rounds of the draft. Try to find your future EDGE, Oline and offensive skill players on the first two days of the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

But right now, I am of the opinion that EDGE has to be the target with the first, and either stud OL/WR/RB has to be the second pick.

The Packers definitely have more pressing needs than to spend a first rounder on a running back.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For this added reason, I'd be extremely disappointed to take him with our first pick. MAYBE, MAYBE with our second first rounder at the end of the first and he is BPA. But right now, I am of the opinion that EDGE has to be the target with the first, and either stud OL/WR/RB has to be the second pick. Get FA's for S and ILB since these positions are somewhat undervalued on the FA market and provide depth in the later.

Why the disappointment? Thompson is a great Safety. Derwin James alone should be proof enough to jump up and grab him(Not saying he's as good). Now would I draft him before Josh Allen? Most likely not, but you can't have a Top 10 Defense without great safety play.

This is NOT the Draft to wait until Day 3 to look for a S. The dropoff even from Thompson/Johnson to Abrams/Rapp/Thornhill/Gardner-Johnson is substantial. As soon as the first pair are gone, there will be a "run" on the remaining four.

Anyone not named above to me is a 5th-7th Rounder outside of a great Senior Bowl/Shrine Game/Combine/Pro Day. This is why their position slides so much, pundits are trying to figure out who's going to jump up and get the party started.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not convinced that when a draft has lesser abilities at certain positions, you take a player because he is best at that particular position in that draft class. And that would definitely include edge rushers. Only take a player if you think he is good enough. Not just better than other choices. It won't do any good to take the best of the rest edge rusher if he won't be able to get to the QB. Probably just stating the obvious.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately though, that's what happens. The Draft is typically the last time a GM can improve his roster, save for a handful of FAs who maybe have held out until the conclusion so they can determine their true interest.

We saw this with the WR Class of '18, it was a weak class and the few who were of note went quickly by the conclusion of the 2nd Round. GMs have to weigh the option of trying to add a difference maker or just simply not addressing the position at all.

Take Spriggs, we jumped up in the 2nd plus gave up a pick because of the run on OL and the perceived drop off in talent moving forward. With Gute, I don't expect Spriggs to be back or relegated to a permanent backup to be replaced in years time.

At the end of the day nobody, 1st Round or later is a guaranteed success story. GMs have to make the best assessment possible and make a decision based on the scouting parameters they have set and measured against. It's a flawed science.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately though, that's what happens. The Draft is typically the last time a GM can improve his roster, save for a handful of FAs who maybe have held out until the conclusion so they can determine their true interest.

I think you might be correct in regards to first round picks, but I would hope Gute isn't looking at 2nd round and later picks as guys who will immediately help the team out, but as "2nd year and further out guys". I view Free Agency as the avenue for addressing "immediate needs" and the draft as the way to address your longer term needs. TT's lack of high picks and failed mid round picks on WR put Gute in the position of having to hit last years draft hard and take 3. Of course Gute striking out in Free Agency at the position further cemented the need.

D

Deleted member 6794

We saw this with the WR Class of '18, it was a weak class and the few who were of note went quickly by the conclusion of the 2nd Round. GMs have to weigh the option of trying to add a difference maker or just simply not addressing the position at all.

Take Spriggs, we jumped up in the 2nd plus gave up a pick because of the run on OL and the perceived drop off in talent moving forward. With Gute, I don't expect Spriggs to be back or relegated to a permanent backup to be replaced in years time.

At the end of the day nobody, 1st Round or later is a guaranteed success story. GMs have to make the best assessment possible and make a decision based on the scouting parameters they have set and measured against. It's a flawed science.

While position of need definitely factors into a pick successful teams tend to select players presenting the best value at the time they're on the clock. Selecting the best player available at a position while there are other ones in a higher tier available isn't a smart way to handle the draft.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While position of need definitely factors into a pick successful teams tend to select players presenting the best value at the time they're on the clock. Selecting the best player available at a position while there are other ones in a higher tier available isn't a smart way to handle the draft.

That's the key phrase

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m alright with Blake Martinez. I had to suffer through years of watching slow AJ Hawk..so Blake is an upgrade at least on that dept.

Crazy thing is that Hawk's atheltic numbers were crazy great. He was just the poster-child for a guy who lost a lot of speed when the pads went on.