Inside Linebacker

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has gotten a little overlooked.

Brian Martinez is fine, I don't believe he's an All Pro but he's a solid starter.

Oren Burks was nowhere near ready this year and Jake Ryan is coming off an ACL and we have to resign him

Anyone had any thoughts on the situation here??

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel better about Ilb than I have since before clay moved over a few years back. There are about 9 other holes we should address prior to Ilb, in my opinion.

Olb is likely going to be decimated if we part w clay and Perry although I think we hold onto Perry, possibly clay if he takes vet salary.

Safety needs immediately upgraded, as does EDGE and most of oline save for LT and C.

Gonna need to begin addressing kicker, and also a slot wr. Inside linebacker seems like it would fall between line and kicker to me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they replacements they signed this year have already replaced Ryan, he's as good as gone as far as I'm concerned. If there was someone like Roquan Smith available again without comparable at edge or something I'd be ok with it. BUt that's depending on if Pettine is retained or we head in a different direction.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brian Martinez is fine, I don't believe he's an All Pro but he's a solid starter.

Oren Burks was nowhere near ready this year and Jake Ryan is coming off an ACL and we have to resign him

The Packers need to improve the depth at inside linebacker but I don't want the team to spend decent money in free agency or use an early rounder on the position.

Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen can play inside or on the edge

Allen would definitely be an edge rusher for the Packers.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen would definitely be an edge rusher for the Packers.

Yes I would assume he would line up outside for the most part. But it would be a waste of his skill set to not use him as a chess piece that the offesnse has to account for from multiple spots and angles. He's also very good in coverage. Interestingly if the Packers are lucky enough to draft Allen pairing him with fackrell would give them two of the better coverage olb

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes I would assume he would line up outside for the most part. But it would be a waste of his skill set to not use him as a chess piece that the offesnse has to account for from multiple spots and angles. He's also very good in coverage. Interestingly if the Packers are lucky enough to draft Allen pairing him with fackrell would give them two of the better coverage olb

I would be excited if the Packers end up with Allen as he's my second highest ranked edge defender after Bosa in next year's draft.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be excited if the Packers end up with Allen as he's my second highest ranked edge defender after Bosa in next year's draft.

I don't know a lot about college players but from what I have been reading I like Allen a lot. The fact that he may even be available to the Packers when they pick is a huge plus. That or at least it may not take as much to move up to get him as it would Bosa. Although from my reading Allen has been moving up so that may change. I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers give up one of their top three picks (their first pick and 1 other or would that be 2 picks ;)) to get another pick higher up but I would like to see them get at least two top 40 or so players (depending on where they pick

Reaction score
I’m likely in the minority here. I believe that ILB has been a large part of our demise. We’ve been getting absolutely roasted in the running game lately. This used to be our strong suit.

I’m not sure Jake Ryan is our “guy”. I don’t know enough about Oren Burks to know if he’s going to resolve the hole that we have next to Martinez. I do know if we are going to continue running a 3-4 that ILB spot is detrimental to our success. If you put a guy like LVE from Dallas there we’d instantly be leaps and bounds better.
The dilemma is limited draft resources and multiple needs.
We could consider leveraging our draft placing day 2 to trade back and then up again (much like we did this year round 1) to allow us an option to either pick a 3rd day 2 player. Just a thought, some crafty trading by Gute could allow us to double down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and go after an ILB there where our chances are better than picking from day 3 leftovers so to speak.

We may even want to restructure some contracts and free up some $ in another position group and go after an available FA who can come in as a presumed starter at ILB day 1. Let Jake fight for his spot and create some competition there.
I don’t think we even realize how much this Defense would improve with a LVEsch type athlete plugged next to Martinez.

I’m not saying to give up on Burks, but he’s the type of all around athlete that can fill a ST spot and/or compete at several other positions whereas other guys are more one dimensional. He played OLB, ILB and Safety at Vanderbilt so he’s a Micah Hyde type utility player. We don’t need to necessarily pigeon hole him at ILB. With a near 40” vertical and standing 6’3” he might be a hybrid Safety candidate also. He’s got some raw speed and coincidentally is exactly the same speed as Dix was coming out of the combine... but he’s got better size than Dix had.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At the beginning of the year, I was resigned that this would be CMIII’s last year in Green and Gold. But watching him play this year, he is still a very athletic player. His days of rushing off the edge are over - hey, age gets us all. And while I don’t have stats, he seems to play best when he’s on the inside. If he’ll accept a salary of somewhere around $3 or $4 million, it would be cap friendly and allow us to keep a player who knows the system and probably still has two or three years left. Along with Martinez, that’s a decent ILB pair.

Unfortunately, the Packers biggest problems on D aren’t ILB in my opinion. If they stay in a 4-3 defense, they need real OLBs, not converted DLs. Or maybe they change to a 3-4 defense, and get more production and inside pressure from their DLs. Kenny Clark has a lot of years left. Daniels production is declining, but he can still be a force. And I believe this draft is loaded with DLs. And there’s always FA.

The DB group has settled down this year with Alexander, Jackson, Williams, and now Breeland. IF they can get a healthy King, the group will be fine. That’s a big IF. Still, they don’t have to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DB. When’s the last time we could say that?

Safety is a huge problem. Probably best handled through FA, unless there’s a Derwin James type available in the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m likely in the minority here. I believe that ILB has been a large part of our demise. We’ve been getting absolutely roasted in the running game lately. This used to be our strong suit.

I’m not sure Jake Ryan is our “guy”. I don’t know enough about Oren Burks to know if he’s going to resolve the hole that we have next to Martinez. I do know if we are going to continue running a 3-4 that ILB spot is detrimental to our success. If you put a guy like LVE from Dallas there we’d instantly be leaps and bounds better.
The dilemma is limited draft resources and multiple needs.
We could consider leveraging our draft placing day 2 to trade back and then up again (much like we did this year round 1) to allow us an option to either pick a 3rd day 2 player. Just a thought, some crafty trading by Gute could allow us to double down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and go after an ILB there where our chances are better than picking from day 3 leftovers so to speak.

We may even want to restructure some contracts and free up some $ in another position group and go after an available FA who can come in as a presumed starter at ILB day 1. Let Jake fight for his spot and create some competition there.
I don’t think we even realize how much this Defense would improve with a LVEsch type athlete plugged next to Martinez.

I’m not saying to give up on Burks, but he’s the type of all around athlete that can fill a ST spot and/or compete at several other positions whereas other guys are more one dimensional. He played OLB, ILB and Safety at Vanderbilt so he’s a Micah Hyde type utility player. We don’t need to necessarily pigeon hole him at ILB. With a near 40” vertical and standing 6’3” he might be a hybrid Safety candidate also. He’s coincidentally exactly the same speed as Dix.. but taller and heavier.
Agreed. Jake Ryan isn’t the guy. Maybe they play a 3-4, leverage a decent DL group, and get a real ILB in FA. The draft is supposed to be loaded with DLs, and we can pick one up there. And I don’t think CMIII is done as long as he’s kept inside. But he’s no longer an impact player, and his current salary is a real problem.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In just a few posts we've covered every defensive position although the thread is titled, "Inside Linebacker"....:whistling:

I'm actually not too worried about the ILB corps in its current state. Trading Lenzy Pipkins for Antonio Morrison was to me probably the best offseason move outside of the Draft Class. I like Burks' chances to develop into a utility type LB/S hybrid. I agree Ryan should be cut unless we just don't have any reasonable alternatives.

While Josh Allen's versatility has been mentioned, I also prefer him on the Edge.

I'm sticking with my gut and saying that both Khalil Hodge and T.J. Edwards will still be available in the 4th Round of the Draft; which is where Blake Martinez lasted up to in 2016. If not, a veteran(not too expensive) signing will do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Inside linebacker has never been a strong suit of the Packers. Martinez is an above average player at the position but I agree the team is need of an upgrade next to him.

At the beginning of the year, I was resigned that this would be CMIII’s last year in Green and Gold. But watching him play this year, he is still a very athletic player. His days of rushing off the edge are over - hey, age gets us all. And while I don’t have stats, he seems to play best when he’s on the inside. If he’ll accept a salary of somewhere around $3 or $4 million, it would be cap friendly and allow us to keep a player who knows the system and probably still has two or three years left. Along with Martinez, that’s a decent ILB pair.

Unfortunately, the Packers biggest problems on D aren’t ILB in my opinion. If they stay in a 4-3 defense, they need real OLBs, not converted DLs. Or maybe they change to a 3-4 defense, and get more production and inside pressure from their DLs.

Matthews was an average inside linebacker at best several seasons ago and has lost some athleticism since. BTW the Packers have been running a 3-4 defense for the past 10 seasons.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In just a few posts we've covered every defensive position although the thread is titled, "Inside Linebacker"....:whistling:

I'm actually not too worried about the ILB corps in its current state. Trading Lenzy Pipkins for Antonio Morrison was to me probably the best offseason move outside of the Draft Class. I like Burks' chances to develop into a utility type LB/S hybrid. I agree Ryan should be cut unless we just don't have any reasonable alternatives.

While Josh Allen's versatility has been mentioned, I also prefer him on the Edge.

I'm sticking with my gut and saying that both Khalil Hodge and T.J. Edwards will still be available in the 4th Round of the Draft; which is where Blake Martinez lasted up to in 2016. If not, a veteran(not too expensive) signing will do.
If they moved CMIII to ILB permanently, aside Martinez, hey that’s not a bad ILB duo. I think Burks will get better. A lot depends on IF they switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Given the depth of the current D line, and that the draft is full of DLs, might not be a bad move.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our ILB's are well below average... the previous regime simply did not believe in spending assets there... AJ Hawk was the only draft capital they've used on the position in the past 13 years.

OLB is a mess too... we simply don't have any playmakers in the front seven - none.

It's going to take a couple of drafts and some FA coinage to rebuild the front seven.

That said, I think Perry and Ryan are history for sure.

Morrison is very limited and nothing more than a stop gap.

Matthews is average now, and we can survive with him for now, but his days should be numbered - and of course his contract will dictate what happens with him.

Martinez is a below avg player, but he's the best we got for now. Given the train wreck that is the overall front seven, Martinez should be looked at as needing to be replaced, but replacing him shouldn't be a top priority.

Burks is just an awful football player. I don't think they can salvage him, but expect they'll try... ultimately I think he will fail - he's just the worst football player I've ever watched.

With our problems on the OL ans S, Gute could throw a dart at any of em, but I'd start with LB.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 high picks and a big FA contract thrown at the LB position.

We've neglected it for too long.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they moved CMIII to ILB permanently, aside Martinez, hey that’s not a bad ILB duo. I think Burks will get better. A lot depends on IF they switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Given the depth of the current D line, and that the draft is full of DLs, might not be a bad move.

The problem with that is neither guy imo is great in pass coverage...which is the MAIN reason they wanted Burks inside.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So from what I’m reading, ILB may no longer be our most pressing need... but that’s largely because the last 4 years of TT’s drafts sucked (and he’s scouting for us now?), amd.... we’ve made some sketchy personnel decisions. Clay Mathews coming back for $3-4M a year? That’s a knee slapper. I’m ready to see him take a (permanent) blow...

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews is an average inside linebacker at best. I would definitely prefer to have a younger player start at the position.

To get Josh Allen, they would need to select in the top 10.

The Packers could use the Saints first rounder to move up into the top 10.

OLB is a mess too... we simply don't have any playmakers in the front seven - none.

It seems you haven't watched Kenny Clark at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Martinez, Morrison and Burks are all under contract for 2019, so I assume all 3 will be back in Green Bay. Ryan may or may not be resigned, but in either case, he isn't a starter in my mind, nor is Morrison. Right now Martinez is the only legit starter out of the group, with Burks having the most potential, but still not there yet. So depending on what they are projecting Burks to be able to do next year, the Packers might be short a quality starter at ILB.

All that being said, I would love to see Gute go after AZ ILB Deone Bucannon. He was a solid ILB in the 3-4 scheme the Cardinals had him in for his first 4 years, but when they switched to a 4-3, he has been mostly phased out and not very productive, which might bring his price down.

D

Deleted member 6794

Martinez, Morrison and Burks are all under contract for 2019, so I assume all 3 will be back in Green Bay. Ryan may or may not be resigned, but in either case, he isn't a starter in my mind, nor is Morrison. Right now Martinez is the only legit starter out of the group, with Burks having the most potential, but still not there yet. So depending on what they are projecting Burks to be able to do next year, the Packers might be short a quality starter at ILB.

Ryan is a decent inside linebacker defending the run but he struggles in coverage. With him coming back from a torn ACL the Packers might move on from him next offseason.