Inside Linebacker Prospects

H

HardRightEdge

While I respect your opinion, its not shared by a lot of the so called "experts" - Hes the best LB on a lot of draft guru's boards for a reason. Sometimes, people see things differently. Nothing wrong with that.

I think he'll be taken in round 1. If not, round 2 for sure.

I've watched every TCU game hes ever played in. So while, yes, maybe I'm a bit biased because im a Frogs fan, but there are plenty of others that are impressed with his play on the field too. His overall body of work is really impressive.

Mike Mayock and Todd McShay both think hes a 3 down ILB.
In the McShay/Kiper mock draft, Dawson fell to #55. Besides, if these two knuckleheads were not due a grain of salt before that mock, they are now, forgetting to draft Beasley in the first round.

I have quite a bit of respect for Mayock, but in this case I respectfully disagree.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I respect your opinion, its not shared by a lot of the so called "experts" - Hes the best LB on a lot of draft guru's boards for a reason. Sometimes, people see things differently. Nothing wrong with that.

I think he'll be taken in round 1. If not, round 2 for sure.

I've watched every TCU game hes ever played in. So while, yes, maybe I'm a bit biased because im a Frogs fan, but there are plenty of others that are impressed with his play on the field too. His overall body of work is really impressive.

Mike Mayock and Todd McShay both think hes a 3 down ILB.

I agree that every draft prospect has some bad plays but with Dawson in coverage it´s pretty obvious his instincts are terrible. While some experts consider him the best ILB available in this year´s draft there´s none who thinks he will be a three down inside linebacker.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need a three down ILB capable of playing opposite of Barrington first and foremost. Dawson doesn´t fit that need.

I LOVE Dawson...but this is a true statement. I'll be honest though EVEN IF we go ILB in the 1st...if Dawson is still there at our 2nd pick I'd not be mad if we grabbed him. I think at the 2nd round where we are he is an absolute football steal...and would cement us one ILB with his style in him or Barrington grabbing the starting role and running with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I LOVE Dawson...but this is a true statement. I'll be honest though EVEN IF we go ILB in the 1st...if Dawson is still there at our 2nd pick I'd not be mad if we grabbed him. I think at the 2nd round where we are he is an absolute football steal...and would cement us one ILB with his style in him or Barrington grabbing the starting role and running with it.

I would be fine with Dawson starting on the strong side but first of all the Packers have to get a WLB. I highly doubt Thompson would draft two ILBs with the team´s first two picks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with Dawson starting on the strong side but first of all the Packers have to get a WLB. I highly doubt Thompson would draft two ILBs with the team´s first two picks.

I doubt it as well...but I strongly feel if we can't find a trade suitor at that 2nd pick and Dawson is available there better be a dang good player who also is still there to justify not picking him. I truly see just an awesome football player in him...not a 1st rounder for what we need but a dang fine football player.

Sky King

Reaction score
I doubt it as well...but I strongly feel if we can't find a trade suitor at that 2nd pick and Dawson is available there better be a dang good player who also is still there to justify not picking him. I truly see just an awesome football player in him...not a 1st rounder for what we need but a dang fine football player.
Not saying I doubt your evaluation of Dawson, but do you recommend a specific link to some of his highlights that causes you to have such a high opinion of his play? The ones that I have seen, so far, leave me a bit skeptical that he's an impact player. I need a better sampling.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying I doubt your evaluation of Dawson, but do you recommend a specific link to some of his highlights that causes you to have such a high opinion of his play? The ones that I have seen, so far, leave me a bit skeptical that he's an impact player. I need a better sampling.

Their number one biggest challenge was Ole Miss and the dude proved he's a football player to me. The mash ups of the skeptics of him exist and anyone can look poor...but watch that whole game if possible and you'll see what I mean. I don't have any links currently on him as I haven't truly digged in to the LBs for a month or so now.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect Dawson to turn into a nice run stopping, two down ILB at the pro level but teams looking for an impact player in coverage will be disappointed.

Sky King

Reaction score
Add to that McKinney and Perryman. Ouch! That McKinney is a big hitter. Perryman, too. They didn't just get there, they finished the job with some awesome de-cleaters. There certainly are some more exciting options out there than what we started with last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I watched highlights of Dawson and Kendricks, as well. Kendricks looked a little faster but I'll take either as a replacement for Hawk or Jones.

Add to that McKinney and Perryman. Ouch! That McKinney is a big hitter. Perryman, too. They didn't just get there, they finished the job with some awesome de-cleaters. There certainly are some more exciting options out there than what we started with last season.

The Packers should be looking for someone to complement Barrington at the position and Kendricks is the only one who fits that mould. Dawson and Perryman would most likely be an upgrade over SB but Thompson most likely won't draft two ILBs that early.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting take by Bob McGinn on the ILB prospects in this year´s draft. He asked 21 scouts for NFL teams to rank the inside linebackers and they had Benardrick McKinney at #1 with Stephone Anthony surprisingly ranked second ahead of Eric Kendricks.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...spects-linebackers-b99487244z1-301505991.html

Wow that is a surprise. McKinney had dropped off of so many radars since the Combine. A hitter, straight-line fast but stiff in coverage, hand in the dirt in sub-packages, hmmmm. This is why I don't even try to evaluate the talent. I realize I have no clue.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow that is a surprise. McKinney had dropped off of so many radars since the Combine. A hitter, straight-line fast but stiff in coverage, hand in the dirt in sub-packages, hmmmm. This is why I don't even try to evaluate the talent. I realize I have no clue.

Most of the scouts McGinn quoted agreed though that McKinney most likely will be a two down ILB. I was more surprised that Anthony was ranked ahead of Kendricks as possible three down inside backers.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the scouts McGinn quoted agreed though that McKinney most likely will be a two down ILB. I was more surprised that Anthony was ranked ahead of Kendricks as possible three down inside backers.

Is Anthony not a 3 down ILB? I've been on the Kendricks bandwagon for awhile now but I really like Anthony also. I would be fine with either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean really when we're honest with ourselves McKinney, Kendricks, Anthony, Dawson and Perryman all would be vast upgrades to what we have....however I concur that really Kendricks is the only sure bet to be able to handle 3 down detail....could the others prove us wrong sure...but Kendricks I think without question is capable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Anthony not a 3 down ILB? I've been on the Kendricks bandwagon for awhile now but I really like Anthony also. I would be fine with either.

Out of the other ones I listed Anthony I think has the most skills to achieve 3 down ability...Dawson has to me the fire and hunger to be a 3 down LB but his physical skillset may just make it too much.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of the other ones I listed Anthony I think has the most skills to achieve 3 down ability

This was kind my thought as well. IMO just by watching them Kendricks is the most polished but is what he is, which is fine with me, but Anthony has the bigger upside. Kendricks could come in day one and be a very good player for a long time whereas Anthony may not be quite there yet but in the long run could be a star.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was kind my thought as well. IMO just by watching them Kendricks is the most polished but is what he is, which is fine with me, but Anthony has the bigger upside. Kendricks could come in day one and be a very good player for a long time whereas Anthony may not be quite there yet but in the long run could be a star.

I've seen Anthony dropping down to the range we pick in the 2nd....depending how confident TT is in being able to grab him and if he thinks as highly about him as you and some scouts do I could easily see him picking a CB or surprise pick in the 1st if he can't find a trade suitor and than target Anthony in the 2nd...even if he must trade up for him possibly. If there is one thing I know it is if we don't get one of those 5 I listed, I will be VERY anxious about this year on defense....I truly feel we must get one of them....unless TT has a gem that just needs polished he knows he can grab.....#InTTWeTrust

D

Deleted member 6794

Anthony is probably the only other three down ILB in the draft. I was surprised to see him ranked ahead of Kendricks though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
captainWIMM....go on a limb and give me a few potential gems for the mid to late rounders you like at ILB if we miss on Kendricks and than on Anthony....any out there?

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
When I first read about Anthony I thought he's the kind of player Thompson and the Packers like - an athletic 3-down ILB.

Last edited:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
captainWIMM....go on a limb and give me a few potential gems for the mid to late rounders you like at ILB if we miss on Kendricks and than on Anthony....any out there?

Not that my opinion matters LOL but Im a fan of Ben Heeney from what I've seen.

Members online