Inside Linebacker Prospects

D

Deleted member 6794

If there is one thing I know it is if we don't get one of those 5 I listed, I will be VERY anxious about this year on defense....I truly feel we must get one of them....unless TT has a gem that just needs polished he knows he can grab.....#InTTWeTrust

I would be disappointed if the Packers don´t draft either Kendricks or Anthony. There´s absolutely no way though Thompson should allow the team to get out of this draft without one of the top five ILBs.

captainWIMM....go on a limb and give me a few potential gems for the mid to late rounders you like at ILB if we miss on Kendricks and than on Anthony....any out there?

There aren´t any mid to late round prospects I really like but if I had to name three the list would include Jordan Hicks out of Texas, Hayes Pullard from USC and Zach Vigil who played at Colorado State.

D

Deleted member 6794

When I first read about Anthony I thought he's the kind of player Thompson and the Packers like - an athletic 3-down ILB. But some reports, like the one McGinn wrote, also mention he's stiff and has trouble with change of direction. The more I think about it the more I too wonder if ILB is more likely to be second rounder.

How good are Peter King's contacts in Green Bay? This is from his mock draft today: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/28/peter-king-2015-nfl-mock-draft/

I would be shocked if Thompson drafts Perryman with Eric Kendricks, Stephone Anthony, Randy Gregory and Shane Rey still on the board.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main concern with Kendricks is that pretty much everyone agrees that he's not very strong against the run. The Packer's dline isn't very good at keeping the linebackers clean. I keep hearing that Kendricks is a three-down player but will the defense ever see third down if teams just run the ball at Kendricks on first and second down? I still think Kendricks will be a good player, he is terrific in coverage. I'm just concerned the Packers will rarely get to see that amazing coverage skill when teams just keep running the ball. An inside run defense of Raji, Kendricks and Barrington isn't going to inspire a ton of confidence in holding running backs under 5 yards per carry. Add to that that Jones should probably be a starter on the dline but he isn't very strong against the run and suddenly the Packer's safeties are going to be leading tacklers on the team as running backs just run wild.

But if teams DO decide to pass, then the defense would be pretty good with Jones adding a good pass rush and Kendricks covering guys underneath...just don't think the defense would force many passing situations (if it's not apparent, I'm VERY pessimistic on Raji becoming a great NT because he lines up two feet to the left now).

If Thompson trades down and grabs an ILB in round two while shoring up the dline (maybe Phillips) then I could see the value. Though I would prefer Anthony over Kendricks, and probably Dawson over either (since I think you could get Dawson at the end of the second and Phillips at the top of the second).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mid to Late I like:

-Ramik Wilson out of Georgia, shows potential and athleticism to become a 3 down backer....could he become just a ST'er for his career sure....but perhaps more.

-Hayes Pullard intrigues me. His gut instincts make him look like a stud some days and a bust other days. For the right pick and given the right time to develop I see the same potential Ramik holds.

My two late sleepers:

-I also like the Jake Ryan kid from Michigan...ACL tear in 2013 does make him a risk but if he's there in the 5th-7th I feel he could be groomed into something special....perhaps never a 3 down backer but a solid sub and depth backer.

-Reshard Cliet out of South Florida. His speed and athleticism make him intrigueing...he's bounced around so no true development has been able to take place. Raw, extremely...worth the risk, potentially if late and holes elsewhere have been addressed accordingly.

D

Deleted member 6794

My main concern with Kendricks is that pretty much everyone agrees that he's not very strong against the run. The Packer's dline isn't very good at keeping the linebackers clean. I keep hearing that Kendricks is a three-down player but will the defense ever see third down if teams just run the ball at Kendricks on first and second down? I still think Kendricks will be a good player, he is terrific in coverage. I'm just concerned the Packers will rarely get to see that amazing coverage skill when teams just keep running the ball. An inside run defense of Raji, Kendricks and Barrington isn't going to inspire a ton of confidence in holding running backs under 5 yards per carry. Add to that that Jones should probably be a starter on the dline but he isn't very strong against the run and suddenly the Packer's safeties are going to be leading tacklers on the team as running backs just run wild.

But if teams DO decide to pass, then the defense would be pretty good with Jones adding a good pass rush and Kendricks covering guys underneath...just don't think the defense would force many passing situations (if it's not apparent, I'm VERY pessimistic on Raji becoming a great NT because he lines up two feet to the left now).

If Thompson trades down and grabs an ILB in round two while shoring up the dline (maybe Phillips) then I could see the value. Though I would prefer Anthony over Kendricks, and probably Dawson over either (since I think you could get Dawson at the end of the second and Phillips at the top of the second).

Kendricks is capable of playing the run as well, he had by far the most tackles by any of the top ILBs in this year´s draft. Please don´t put too much stock into PFF´s run stop percentage where he finished 16th.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mid to Late I like:

-Ramik Wilson out of Georgia, shows potential and athleticism to become a 3 down backer....could he become just a ST'er for his career sure....but perhaps more.

-Hayes Pullard intrigues me. His gut instincts make him look like a stud some days and a bust other days. For the right pick and given the right time to develop I see the same potential Ramik holds.

My two late sleepers:

-I also like the Jake Ryan kid from Michigan...ACL tear in 2013 does make him a risk but if he's there in the 5th-7th I feel he could be groomed into something special....perhaps never a 3 down backer but a solid sub and depth backer.

-Reshard Cliet out of South Florida. His speed and athleticism make him intrigueing...he's bounced around so no true development has been able to take place. Raw, extremely...worth the risk, potentially if late and holes elsewhere have been addressed accordingly.

As I´ve said above I like Pullard as well as a mid-to-late rounder. I don´t think Wilson would be a great fit in a 3-4, Ryan probably won´t last until the fifth round. I have to admit that I´ve got no idea about Cliet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One also could see TT trading down...going after a run stuffing 2 down ILB to pair with Sam...and than hope to catch fire on a 3rd down backer late. I know it'd be a homer
As I´ve said above I like Pullard as well as a mid-to-late rounder. I don´t think Wilson would be a great fit in a 3-4, Ryan probably won´t last until the fifth round. I have to admit that I´ve got no idea about Cliet.

Good reason not to....let me scrounge up a few notes...Walter outlined him somewhat.

Height: 6-2. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61.
Projected Round (2015): 5-7.

4/25/15: Cliett notched 37 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks, three passes broken up and a forced fumble in 2014. He didn't participate in the Combine.

8/23/14: Sources have told WalterFootball.com to label Cliett as a sleeper linebacker to watch. He's been on some bad teams, so it has been hard for him to stand out. Cliett had 56 tackles with a sack and three pass broken up in 2013. He made six starts in 2012 to record 40 tackles with a sack and three passes broken up. The senior could make a big jump in 2014.

40 Low: 4.41 40 Time: 4.5140 High:4.62

He is a OLB/ILB, spending time at both with his primary being of late OLB...yet his athleticism and speed makes him a real candidate for a draft and develop in the interior.

I suspect he may very well go undrafted...and would be an excellent Undrafted pick up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pullard to me is the guy that if any of the Mid to Late guys starts this year it is him. I like a lot about him...but also have questions as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks is capable of playing the run as well, he had by far the most tackles by any of the top ILBs in this year´s draft. Please don´t put too much stock into PFF´s run stop percentage where he finished 16th.

It's not just PFF. Pretty much every analysis makes note of his size and preference for going around blocks.

ESPN - Lacks ideal size and power. Doesn't possess a heavy punch and will never be consistent taking on blockers.

CBS - relies on agility to avoid blockers, rarely taking them on and shedding. Too small for some schemes.

There are others but the point is that playing him at ILB on a team that's already weak up the middle against the run isn't going to be a great fit. He'd probably be very good on a team like Baltimore or San Fran week here he would have the dline to keep blockers off of him.

H

HardRightEdge

Interesting take by Bob McGinn on the ILB prospects in this year´s draft. He asked 21 scouts for NFL teams to rank the inside linebackers and they had Benardrick McKinney at #1 with Stephone Anthony surprisingly ranked second ahead of Eric Kendricks.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...spects-linebackers-b99487244z1-301505991.html
I didn't see anything in this piece about 21 scouts, or that this is a scouts' ranking. It looks like McGuin's ranking.
Wow that is a surprise. McKinney had dropped off of so many radars since the Combine. A hitter, straight-line fast but stiff in coverage, hand in the dirt in sub-packages, hmmmm. This is why I don't even try to evaluate the talent. I realize I have no clue.
He's not just stiff in coverage. He's stiff in his change of direction, which is an issue in sideline-to-sideline coverage. He's a straight line hitter, as you say. The guys who like him like his length. To me, he looks like an undersized DE.

That 14 Wonderlic score is concerning. That means he got 14 questions right out of 50. If you randomly answered without even looking at the questions odds are you'd score a 10. 14 indicates to me borderline functional illiteracy or simple lack of native intelligence. ILB in this complicated defense is not a just-go-get-the-ball responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Per Dunne on Perryman: "Has a fan in Packers senior personnel executive (and former Hurricane) Alonzo Highsmith. Said Perryman, "He told me he has a to-do list for me on a sheet of paper. Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch. I was like, 'OK.'"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/301614311.html

My order of preference is unchanged since the Combine:

Kendricks
Anthony
Perryman

I doubt Kendricks would last to the bottom of the 2nd. round. Anthony or Perryman might last long.

Pass on Dawson altogether. McKinney...meh...third round, maybe, if players other than ILB are too tantilizing in the first two rounds.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy with any of the top 5 ILBs in this draft. Any of the 5 will be better than what we had last season. So just drafting any of them makes us better at the ILB position than we were a year ago.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't see anything in this piece about 21 scouts, or that this is a scouts' ranking. It looks like McGuin's ranking.

McGinn´s rankings are based on interviews with scouts in which they named the top five prospects at each position. Here´s the story in which he reveals the scouts take on the linebackers:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...y-gregory-in-draft-b99487240z1-301501251.html

It's not just PFF. Pretty much every analysis makes note of his size and preference for going around blocks.

ESPN - Lacks ideal size and power. Doesn't possess a heavy punch and will never be consistent taking on blockers.

CBS - relies on agility to avoid blockers, rarely taking them on and shedding. Too small for some schemes.

There are others but the point is that playing him at ILB on a team that's already weak up the middle against the run isn't going to be a great fit. He'd probably be very good on a team like Baltimore or San Fran week here he would have the dline to keep blockers off of him.

Every single scouting report about a prospect includes some weaknesses. I´m convinced Kendricks would be able to provide help defending the run from the WLB position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn´s rankings are based on interviews with scouts in which they named the top five prospects at each position. Here´s the story in which he reveals the scouts take on the linebackers:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...y-gregory-in-draft-b99487240z1-301501251.html

Every single scouting report about a prospect includes some weaknesses. I´m convinced Kendricks would be able to provide help defending the run from the WLB position.

Well of course he can provide help. I just question if the defense wouldn't actually be better with Matthews at ILB and using the top pick on the dline or corner. I'm against Matthews playing ILB but I'm not of the opinion that an ILB should be drafted just because Matthews should be playing outside. Packers currently have a surplus of starter worthy OLBs, seems odd to force Perry to the bench just so the team can line up a guy with the correct position label that's probably going to be worse at ILB than Matthews would be.

I'd also add that people are concerned about ILB but OLB might actually be a bigger need. OLB is far more important than ILB and the Packers are looking at the possibility of losing Neal, Perry AND Peppers after this season. Not sure the Packers want to enter 2016 with a rookie opposite Matthews.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta be honest, none of the inside guys really get me too excited at all. From a purely hitting and tackling standpoint, I like Perryman, but sounds like he could really be exploited by NFL offenses. I don't get to watch much college football beyond the badgers and some bowl games, so really all i have are the various links to vids people have posted here. I don't think i'll get a scouting job anytime soon, but most of these guys just look like the best of a bunch of guys and I don't think you pick them round 1.

That said, i do trust this staff to get the best player for the team. But if there's good value at OLB, DL or CB, I could see any of those picked in round one over any of the guys mentioned at ILB. There are a ton of good reasons to pick those positions as well looking forward and you never know what is going to happen with your team and what "needs" we'll have.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Th
I gotta be honest, none of the inside guys really get me too excited at all. From a purely hitting and tackling standpoint, I like Perryman, but sounds like he could really be exploited by NFL offenses. I don't get to watch much college football beyond the badgers and some bowl games, so really all i have are the various links to vids people have posted here. I don't think i'll get a scouting job anytime soon, but most of these guys just look like the best of a bunch of guys and I don't think you pick them round 1.

That said, i do trust this staff to get the best player for the team. But if there's good value at OLB, DL or CB, I could see any of those picked in round one over any of the guys mentioned at ILB. There are a ton of good reasons to pick those positions as well looking forward and you never know what is going to happen with your team and what "needs" we'll have.
Im a little excited about the idea of Landon Collins 6' 228 pound SS from Ala playing ILB...... Mathews was a part time safety at USC early on. Evolving into a OLB, and eventually alot of DE work... I think the time at safety helped his coverage skills later in the NFL. Collins might be a bit under sized for ILB. But he's known to be a great tackler, and stout against the run. Now is that stout against the run for a safety? Or just good against the run?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well of course he can provide help. I just question if the defense wouldn't actually be better with Matthews at ILB and using the top pick on the dline or corner. I'm against Matthews playing ILB but I'm not of the opinion that an ILB should be drafted just because Matthews should be playing outside. Packers currently have a surplus of starter worthy OLBs, seems odd to force Perry to the bench just so the team can line up a guy with the correct position label that's probably going to be worse at ILB than Matthews would be.

I'd rather prefer having Kendricks at ILB with Matthews rushing from the edge over moving Clay inside and line up either Perry or Neal opposite Peppers at OLB.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Th

Im a little excited about the idea of Landon Collins 6' 228 pound SS from Ala playing ILB...... Mathews was a part time safety at USC early on. Evolving into a OLB, and eventually alot of DE work... I think the time at safety helped his coverage skills later in the NFL. Collins might be a bit under sized for ILB. But he's known to be a great tackler, and stout against the run. Now is that stout against the run for a safety? Or just good against the run?
I'm not excited about moving a player from one position in college and expect him to do good year one in the pro's. Thats aweful light to play ILB, if the management thinks he can do it, i'll hope for success.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews never played safety at USC. Landon Collins is a strong safety, he would not be a great fit at ILB.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to think we either trade back or we draft another position with our first pick. I guess it will matter how many of the ILB's are on the board when our pick comes up.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not excited about moving a player from one position in college and expect him to do good year one in the pro's. Thats aweful light to play ILB, if the management thinks he can do it, i'll hope for success.
230 is when ILBs are considered light for sure. But consider he is 6' tall. and 228 is pretty big for a lean 6' guy... One could speculate he could put on some muscle too. If he was inclined to do so... Also, the goods and the bads need to be weighed out. Does his cover skills compensate for getting knocked backwards while making a tackle some time? Does his great speed(for ILB) compensate for his rookie curve of learning a new position and techniques?

And as far as Mathews playing safety in college. Thats just what I read on his scouting report when he was drafted. He was much smaller as a walk on freshman. I dont believe he got a scholarship to USC. The story told about his confidence in himself, even though outward appearance he wasnt a D1 prospect at the time. And as a freshman he played some safety first before his growth spurt made him a LB soon after... And by the time he was drafted, he had a well rounded education playing DE too... Call me a liar if you want, thats how I understood it.

D

Deleted member 6794

And as far as Mathews playing safety in college. Thats just what I read on his scouting report when he was drafted. He was much smaller as a walk on freshman. I dont believe he got a scholarship to USC. The story told about his confidence in himself, even though outward appearance he wasnt a D1 prospect at the time. And as a freshman he played some safety first before his growth spurt made him a LB soon after... And by the time he was drafted, he had a well rounded education playing DE too... Call me a liar if you want, thats how I understood it.

I'm not calling you a liar but you don't have any idea what you're talking about (which seems to be a common theme with you). His brother Kyle played safety for the Trojans from 2000-03 but Clay never did.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not calling you a liar but you don't have any idea what you're talking about (which seems to be a common theme with you). His brother Kyle played safety for the Trojans from 2000-03 but Clay never did.

And true to your form, you come at me swinging for no reason.... I SUPPOSE you followed Mathews career very closely during practices as a walk on freshman????????????????????????????? Not.........

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at 228, he better be able to run like Nick Collins and play like him too. At safety. I don't want him as our ILB

Latest posts