I'm the optimistic fan...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What I'm saying is the Packers "rank" 12th in fewest points allowed. (see the ESPN link)
I'm really not trying to be jerk about this so I'll try just one more time and if you still don't understand I'll just implore you to never use stats again. ;)

Consider the runs scored stat in baseball. At one point in the season Team A has played 50 games and scored 225 runs (4.5 runs/game). Because of several rain outs, Team B has played 40 games and has scored 200 runs (5 runs/game). When considering where these teams rank, do you not see it’s ridiculous not to consider how many games each has played (since they’ll play the same number by the time the season is over)? At that point of the season, Team B obviously has the more prolific offense.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Well one lonely bright side is janis can now be our kick off returner (or better yet) move him to safety or corner our small D'backs are getting burned by bigger taller receivers.....

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Bears had Martellus Bennett we would of lost by 14+ MM needs to go along with capers.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
What ever the Packers are going to do to improve this teams performance had better be now than later there teams on the edge ready to move into playoff position Seattle being one of them.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to be the optimistic and ask......Tretter doesn't roll the 3rd down snap back to AR and we either pick up the first down or the sack doesn't put us out of FG range, Packers kick game winning FG on last drive. Are we content with the win or are we still trying to figure out what is wrong? I'm guessing yes to both, but maybe like after the Viking game, coaches say "we won, all is good, next game, same stuff!"

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be the optimistic and ask......Tretter doesn't roll the 3rd down snap back to AR and we either pick up the first down or the sack doesn't put us out of FG range, Packers kick game winning FG on last drive. Are we content with the win or are we still trying to figure out what is wrong? I'm guessing yes to both, but maybe like after the Viking game, coaches say "we won, all is good, next game, same stuff!"

This is where us Negative Nellies excel. All through 2011, and during most of the undefeated start this year, the "a-win-is-a-win" crowd had to keep reading "yes, but" from others.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is still arguing that they're very talented on offense?
I was talking about the Bears, because someone thinks our defense isn't good enough. And yes, our offense is still very talented as evidenced by seasons of history with mostly the same players. They are not playing well or together right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One aspect of "optimism" I am a bit tired of hearing are those coaches, players or fans that say "We were 6-0 and everything was fine, don't panic". I'm not panicking, but those people who use that argument must have been watching only the final scores and not the play of the offense during those games. The offense really hasn't been firing on all cylinders most of the season (maybe the K.C. game). So to say "we got to 6-0 and all will get back to that with a bit of work" is really putting your head in the sand. Even if we do "get back" what are we really getting back to? Maybe an offense that can squeak out games against marginal teams, but that sure won't do much for us in the playoffs.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking about the Bears, because someone thinks our defense isn't good enough. And yes, our offense is still very talented as evidenced by seasons of history with mostly the same players. They are not playing well or together right now.

Sorry, I mis-read if the comment was about the Bears' offense. As far as ours goes, the adage from every investment professional still holds - past performance is not an indication of future results.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry, I mis-read if the comment was about the Bears' offense. As far as ours goes, the adage from every investment professional still holds - past performance is not an indication of future results.

While that's true there's no denying the Packers offense has a lot of highly talented players who at the moment and for whatever reason don't perform up to their potential.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take zero advice from financial "experts". But you're probably right, we, and the entire league had every reason to believe our offense was going to fall off this much this year despite having the same players. Everyone predicted it, as obviously they had no talent coming into the season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not one player on this offence has played as well as they have in the past or are capable of. That's a solid recipe for trouble.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is where us Negative Nellies excel. All through 2011, and during most of the undefeated start this year, the "a-win-is-a-win" crowd had to keep reading "yes, but" from others.
It also might be the downfall of the current Green Bay staff. "All is well, no changes needed, carry on. business as usual." Sure hind sight for us fans is easy and I for one did not see the power outage on offense coming, nor do I blame that on TT fully. But when it becomes really obvious to us arm chair fans that something isn't right, the Packers coaches should have known that well before us and planned for it by making adjustments/changes. Seems like the Patriots and Belichick are an organization that is always one step ahead of most, lately the Packers seem 2 steps behind.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm really not trying to be jerk about this so I'll try just one more time and if you still don't understand I'll just implore you to never use stats again. ;)

Consider the runs scored stat in baseball. At one point in the season Team A has played 50 games and scored 225 runs (4.5 runs/game). Because of several rain outs, Team B has played 40 games and has scored 200 runs (5 runs/game). When considering where these teams rank, do you not see it’s ridiculous not to consider how many games each has played (since they’ll play the same number by the time the season is over)? At that point of the season, Team B obviously has the more prolific offense.

I understood that from the begining. I'm not convinced they will look so good when all teams are even.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With technology and man hours as well as the big business side of Football, scouting the opposing teams is not only relatively easy but done year round. The knock against Capers for years was he doesn't change much, does the same predictable things, which created an easy defense to pick apart. I'm afraid that is maybe what has happened to our offense. As we all keep saying, "nothing has changed, same talented group (less Jordy) as last years high profile offense, what's wrong?" Well maybe that is the problem, nothing has changed with the Packers, but something has changed with the way other teams defense us, they know our offense because it hasn't changed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understood that from the begining.
Then (at the very least) your post #71 makes no sense as you continue to misstate the Packers rankings in both categories.
I'm not convinced they will look so good when all teams are even.
Whether they are or not is a moot point regarding their current ranking.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Then (at the very least) your post #71 makes no sense as you continue to misstate the Packers rankings in both categories. Whether they are or not is a moot point regarding their current ranking.
Like I said, I didn't state what I was thinking very well. Going by any stat at this point I suppose is no gaurantee of future success, because both our points make an assumption that all teams will remain the same in the games coming up.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers will be in the playoffs. After that...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It also might be the downfall of the current Green Bay staff. "All is well, no changes needed, carry on. business as usual." Sure hind sight for us fans is easy and I for one did not see the power outage on offense coming, nor do I blame that on TT fully. But when it becomes really obvious to us arm chair fans that something isn't right, the Packers coaches should have known that well before us and planned for it by making adjustments/changes. Seems like the Patriots and Belichick are an organization that is always one step ahead of most, lately the Packers seem 2 steps behind.

QFT.

The cliches from on high: Mike McCarthy faults technique, precision for Packers' loss to Bears.

Yeah that's it, technique and precision. Let's all sing kumbaya along with MM. I mean he's mad that Davante Adams' routes haven't been more "precise". It's all fixable. /gag /vomit

I do fault TT for being unwilling to engage in a little FA to improve this team. Vernon Davis was out there. He's now playing for Denver and look what he did for Brock Osweiler last Sunday. Meanwhile, TT sat on his hands. Also, there have been several players of questionable character over the years that TT and MM seem to avoid completely, whom they could have taken a chance on with a late round pick. I'll just name a few: Vontaze Burfict, Honey Badger, La'el Collins. I'll admit Collins was more problematic because his agent said he wouldn't sign with a team if he wasn't drafted after the 3rd round I believe. And some TT bombs: Jerrod McMillan, Khyri Thornton. And some high draft picks that are in real danger of becoming duds: Casey Hayward, Davante Adams. Balance those out with the good picks and TT begins to look fair to middling in his drafting, and when you rely almost exclusively on draft and develop you had better ace it or you wind up with not enough talent.

I also fault TT and MM for their unwillingness to change. We have seen MM make significant changes maybe once, maybe twice, and no, firing Slocum at the end of 3 years of terrible ST play is not what I would call significant change.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're basically coming out and saying the same thing every week. As a fan, even if it's true, it does get aggravating. Every week you tell me you know what the problem is, yet every week you are still unable to fix the problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bookend home losses to the two worst teams in the conference do not help anyone's optimism or confidence for sure. I think most of us were at least looking for a trade before the deadline. If nothing more, that would have provided us with a nod from management that an issue exists and they are trying to correct it. Now with that deadline long gone in the rear view mirror, all that is left are slight personnel or coaching changes. I doubt there is a back-up player on the roster or PS that has the ability to jump start our offense, so it is going to happen its going to have to either happen on the field or off the field with the coaching staff.

A season that started out with so many expectations has slowly unraveled itself into one of desperation for solutions. Maybe this was the Packers problem from the jump. 5 unlucky bizarre minutes from being in the Super Bowl and all starters on offense returning, why change anything? Complacency I fear was a bigger factor then the loss of Jordy in the way this season has slowly and painfully spiraled down.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're basically coming out and saying the same thing every week. As a fan, even if it's true, it does get aggravating. Every week you tell me you know what the problem is, yet every week you are still unable to fix the problem.
Yup, it's the same old tired cliche's every week.
My wife, when watching the "Mike McCarthy Show", can even predict what MM is going to say.