If YOU were GM...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Now I know none of us are knowledgeable enough to make these decisions, but if you were in TT's place, what changes would you make to address any one of our major problems to try and salvage the season? Do you wait out the injuries (at least the ones we can)? Do you start making trades? What would your plan be?

I think that injuries are our main problem, but at the same time, without the injuries, our O-line would still be less than adequate. Bulaga seems too fresh to be in there taking on a pass rusher like Cameron Wake on his own, and I'd bet if Tausch was in there, we would've seen more holding penalties.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point its gotten to be that there are just so many injuries so widespread that pinpointing 1 or even 2 places to shore up with trades just wouldnt be worth the risk to reward unless you went gangbuster deal to get a big name.

the only place i could fathom adding depth to right now is LB. we've lost so many guys there even the practice squad is dry.

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
At this point its gotten to be that there are just so many injuries so widespread that pinpointing 1 or even 2 places to shore up with trades just wouldnt be worth the risk to reward unless you went gangbuster deal to get a big name.

the only place i could fathom adding depth to right now is LB. we've lost so many guys there even the practice squad is dry.
I was thinking maybe the only thing worth trading for anymore is the long term replacement guys. I know there aren't any available, but if we could get a good lineman out of a trade, I'd be happy. You're right about the injuries, I think there are just too many to make a trade to replace one here or there. That's why maybe a RB trade at this point is pretty fruitless. I'm not giving up on this year entirely, but it's hard not to just look on to what we can do to make ourselves for sure superbowl contenders next year.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is like asking if YOU were God, LOL! This is hard to answer if you really think about it. You have to think in two time frames at once. You have to think of the present and future. So much rides on every little thing you do or don't do. This is why I wouldn't want this job and I can have some sympathy for TT and the decisions he has to make every day. By forcing ourselves into his head and position, maybe we can see what it must be like. If it were up to me, and I admit I don't really have the knowledge base to make any of these decisions, this is just Monday morning GM Kitten, I would address at least some of these injury issues now and try to salvage the season, while preserving my draft picks and the future of my team. It's a balancing act, you have people shouting at you, I want it NOW, but can you risk the future (say 5 years +) for what may be already be a lost cause? You have to choose your battles and choose them wisely. I would draft a RB or TE NOW, but I wouldn't want to spend to much to get them. Aside from injuries, I would pay more attention to special teams as well as the offensive line. More drills would be run, more practice time. Identify the players who are not picking it up fast enough and concentrate to help them improve.

As for what kind of GM (boss) would I be. I would be readily accessible to my players and everyone involved with the team. I'd have an almost Round Table kind of structure, where there is a level of equality amongst ranks. I'd like to think of my team more as a family but I'd also be hard too and make decisions they may not all be happy with but still have to be made. I'd be very much involved on all levels. I'd rule with an iron paw inside a velvet glove. Fierce when angered, but I'd still make you lasagna at the end of the day. No player or person would be "favored" over anyone else. I would always put my team first above all, they trump everything. This is kind of what I would want in a GM if I was on a team or working for one.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's what I was saying in another thread. I think our needs are far greater than can be traded for. We don't even have the players left to trade! The ones we have, backups, we need. We simply cannot replace half our team. If any trades are made, I would think they would be trades that would of been made regardless if we had any injuries at all.

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Fire MM.

2) Inquire about Darren McFadden. Al Davis said "all Raiders are available". The Raiders took Heyward-Bay at #7 and have a history of making horrible trades. TT should confuse Al Davis. Maybe distract him with a sock puppet or something.

i about **** my pants reading : distract him with a sock puppet !!!!!

CLASSIC COMMENT....

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'd realize we're ****** this year and start work on my draft board for next year, projecting we'll pick somewhere in the middle of the first round.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all honesty, a change needs to be made at head coach. Sure MM resembles a teddy bear, but he just isn't going to put a winning team on the field. I have a personal vendetta against TT, but he has done a nice job with the draft.

As far as the talent on the roster... I just feel like that offensive line is still too far off from being good enough. I don't even know if a free agent would be able to make the line capable. Bulaga will get there some day, but Clifton and Tauschers days are done.

One piece that I would use to make us better is WR. I would trade either Jordy or James... we don't need to be as deep as we are there. And they are talented enough that with a draft pick they could get someone.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I want Gruden. Give this team the swift kick in the *** it needs.

I think we need a disciplinarian type. MM seems like a players coach to me.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Because I think a lot of people think like I do, that we need a disciplinarian. And there's no 2 more prominent coaches that fit that mold than Cowher and Gruden.

Cowher isn't possible. He'd want total control, it isn't happening.

I do think Gruden could be enticed, though. Green Bay connections, might have the coaching bug back after 2 years away from it, I could see it.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because I think a lot of people think like I do, that we need a disciplinarian. And there's no 2 more prominent coaches that fit that mold than Cowher and Gruden.

Cowher isn't possible. He'd want total control, it isn't happening.

I do think Gruden could be enticed, though. Green Bay connections, might have the coaching bug back after 2 years away from it, I could see it.

I'm just saying I have been hooting Steve Mariucci's name for a week and a half... I never get any chat about it. It's starting to bug me. Mooch is a damn good coach. Just cause he got tied in with Matt Millen, it isn't his fault. He demands so much from his players, but has a great philosophy of the game. I wanted Mariucci when they hired McCarthy. Just trying to point out there are better coaches out there then those two. Mooch is one of them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mooch NO

Maybe Cower

But MM has had fielded winning teams, he can do it..You dont fire a guy in middle of season...maybe when it looks like we miss playoffs

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Should I play the Super Bowl card? Because Gruden's got one. And helped build the team he beat in that Super Bowl.

And Cowher, if he were an option, has one as well.

I don't see how Mariucci is a better coach than either of them.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mooch NO

Maybe Cower

But MM has had fielded winning teams, he can do it..You dont fire a guy in middle of season...maybe when it looks like we miss playoffs

But why not Mooch, explain that one to me... why not? I just don't get why he has this persona of a loser... he has coached some good teams!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Gruden. Give this team the swift kick in the *** it needs.

I think we need a disciplinarian type. MM seems like a players coach to me.

So would Cowher for the same reason. Or somebody needs to make the balance between players coach and coach ****. Cowher leans toward the Dark Side of things *temper temper easy big guy*, but he certainly would give kick some tail.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should I play the Super Bowl card? Because Gruden's got one. And helped build the team he beat in that Super Bowl.

And Cowher, if he were an option, has one as well.

I don't see how Mariucci is a better coach than either of them.

I shouldn't have said better... I think a better fit maybe... not necessarily the better coach. He has history here too, just like Gruden. I like his personality. He has had some good numbers... even with coaching a TERRIBLE Detroit team.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
So would Cowher for the same reason. Or somebody needs to make the balance between players coach and coach ****. Cowher leans toward the Dark Side of things *temper temper easy big guy*, but he certainly would give kick some tail.
If Cowher would accept JUST the Head Coach job, then he's absolutely the guy you hire.

I think he's going to insist on being GM too, though. And that's not a road I feel like going down again.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cowher would accept JUST the Head Coach job, then he's absolutely the guy you hire.

I think he's going to insist on being GM too, though. And that's not a road I feel like going down again.

That is a problem, we'd have a dictator on our hands. Cowher would demand total control but I still think he'd get the job done. I'd project SB in under 2 years. Gruden would be the better bet if we don't want an all Cowher run team. But can you imagine being in the locker room with either Gruden or Cowher after today's game. Ouchies!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
How about Brett Favre for our new head coach next year? He might be available.

:notme2:

Members online

Latest posts