If only the Pack had the run threat!

TheRitous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone imagine what the packers would be like with a serious run threat! Dont get me wrong i think grant is a fine running back be he just is no threat to our opponents. I hear that old Ted is just nuts thinking about how we stole A. Green in the late rounds. I know we havent seen much from him up till now but you have to remember we had very little to no offseason... So if only we could develop a run threat i think we would be hands down the best team in the NFL.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Starks, Grant, Kuhn, and Green I think we do have a serious run threat. Having a guy come in fresh off the bench is huge in a game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TheRitous,

No offense intended and since I'm not a moderator it may not be my place to post this, but you have two posts here and started a thread with each one. Both ask a basic question without offering much or any analysis. (At least you could have told us how you heard Thompson is "just nuts thinking about how we stole A. Green".) Wasn't there a single thread you thought was interesting enough to post on? As an example, I have about 260 posts and I've started two threads, including one in the "introduce yourself" area. And wasn't there another thread in which you could post about the running game and yet another to ask, "Anyone else think that Clay Matthews may be a career long packer!? I sure hope so!" I don't mean to be a jerk, just suggesting you may want to read some of the existing threads.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheRitous,

No offense intended and since I'm not a moderator it may not be my place to post this, but you have two posts here and started a thread with each one. Both ask a basic question without offering much or any analysis. (At least you could have told us how you heard Thompson is "just nuts thinking about how we stole A. Green".) Wasn't there a single thread you thought was interesting enough to post on? As an example, I have about 260 posts and I've started two threads, including one in the "introduce yourself" area. And wasn't there another thread in which you could post about the running game and yet another to ask, "Anyone else think that Clay Matthews may be a career long packer!? I sure hope so!" I don't mean to be a jerk, just suggesting you may want to read some of the existing threads.

Of course you'd use yourself as an example you self-righteous a######! JK! :detsux:

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Do we not have a run threat?

I think we can run and pass the ball.

We have Starks and Grant, and Starks proved that he is not one to be taken with doubt after he tore it up in the playoffs.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably have a group of RB's that is the best since the days of Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett. Right now I'm more concerned about an OL that needs to protect our QB and knock opponents on their keisters.

Reaction score
The best teams actually don't need the running game. We have a weapon no other team has called A-Rod. If we won the Super bowl with no so called "Run game" then why would we need one now?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Seriously, why is anyone giving this thread any credibility at all. Do we have the number one running offense in the league? Not a chance. Does that mean we are without a run threat? Again, not a chance. We have a solid run game, and the assertion that we are without a legitimate run threat is not only patently wrong, it is offensive.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant, Starks, Green and Kuhn. I would certainly call that a running game, in fact, I think we are well on our way to being stacked (gasp!) at the run. I think Grant still has a few SB runs left in him, Starks is an emerging super star, with film and preseason play Green is going to run up some mad yardage for us and Kuhn will take care of the rest. GB is not really known for their run game to begin with as we operate under a west coast offense, so I think we are really going to luck out this year by adding a possible ace run game to our offensive arsenal.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
For people that still think we "don't" have a running game

Week 15 At New England
148 Rushing yards on 38 Rush attempts

Week 16, NY Giants
119 Rushing yards, 2 Rushing TD's on 35 attempts

WildCard Playoffs at Philadelphia
138 Rushing yards on 32 attempts

Divisional Playoffs at Atlanta
96 Rushing yards, 2 Rushing TD's on 31 attempts

NFC Championship at Chicago
120 Rushing yards, 2 Rushing TD's, on 32 attempts.

You guys are right doubting our rushing game, we didn't have a running game at the end of the year!!!

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I definitely see talent at the RB position. But that's only half of a "running game." I don't know how well we will be able to run to the left behind Clifton and Lang. Seems like even in our preseason games we were always trying to run to the right understandably, but won't other teams catch on and stack that side? Have only had a sample size of Lang, but I'm excited to see how his run blocking pans out.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I agree. I think that left side of the line is a little suspect. I think the lack of OTA's etc., have hampered the OL coming together and, like you, I hope we see significant progress on that left side (run blocking and pass protection).

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I agree. I think that left side of the line is a little suspect. I think the lack of OTA's etc., have hampered the OL coming together and, like you, I hope we see significant progress on that left side (run blocking and pass protection).

Agreed. Let's not compare our running game with the first part of last season. Let's look at how we ended. Starks was a HUGE addition to our team. And now, God willing, Grant will be healthy this year. We have the running talent. Now we have to concentrate on allowing them do their job with said protection and blocking.

Jebsta16

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are deep at running back and every team will have to consider our running game otherwise you will end up like the Eagles last year in the playoffs. If our run game is getting shut down that just means they are focusing on that and trying to make us one dimensional which will not work on us with Rodgers out there. We just best hope MM keeps mixing up the play calls and keeps team off balanced.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this again?

Funny, that was my first thought exactly.

Folks, relax. The season hasn't even started. And in case you need a reminder, this team won the Super Bowl last season, with the guys we had on the roster and despite people thinking we needed to trade away our entire draft for Marshawn Lynch or some other big name.

Let's relax and see what happens, ok?

packerfan1441

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our running game is fine, I think people get impatient because of the lack of some home run running back like Chris Johnson, A.D., or M.J.D. but the fact of the matter is our running game is the perfect compliment to the way our offense operates. We have an unbelievable group of receivers and we utilize them perfectly. We run the ball between the tackles for 4 or 5 yards at a time to keep 2 to 3 linebackers in the box and when a defense is forced to recognize we will run the ball out of the shotgun on any down they have to keep in 3 to 4 down linemen and multiple linebackers thusly allowing us to pick defenses apart with our pass. We have very talented backs but no home run threats, but that's exactly what we need. Backs that do the dirty work in order to allow the home runs over the top to Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those 3 guys play for the titans, Vikings, and Jaguars. Do any of those teams look like a playoff team?

Remember, you have to pay big name RBs big money. meaning you cant afford other guys in your offense.

This isnt fantasy football people.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
That's it. We can't run. Season is over. Everyone just go back home. Listen to "It's the end of the world as we know it, it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"