1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If only the Pack had the run threat!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TheRitous, Aug 29, 2011.

1. TheRitous

TheRitous Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone imagine what the packers would be like with a serious run threat! Dont get me wrong i think grant is a fine running back be he just is no threat to our opponents. I hear that old Ted is just nuts thinking about how we stole A. Green in the late rounds. I know we havent seen much from him up till now but you have to remember we had very little to no offseason... So if only we could develop a run threat i think we would be hands down the best team in the NFL.

2. GWheels

GWheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    With Starks, Grant, Kuhn, and Green I think we do have a serious run threat. Having a guy come in fresh off the bench is huge in a game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    this again?

• Like Like x 2
  4. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +297
    Give it a chance this season, I don't think we've ever had this much depth @ RB in years!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    TheRitous,

No offense intended and since I'm not a moderator it may not be my place to post this, but you have two posts here and started a thread with each one. Both ask a basic question without offering much or any analysis. (At least you could have told us how you heard Thompson is "just nuts thinking about how we stole A. Green".) Wasn't there a single thread you thought was interesting enough to post on? As an example, I have about 260 posts and I've started two threads, including one in the "introduce yourself" area. And wasn't there another thread in which you could post about the running game and yet another to ask, "Anyone else think that Clay Matthews may be a career long packer!? I sure hope so!" I don't mean to be a jerk, just suggesting you may want to read some of the existing threads.

6. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    Of course you'd use yourself as an example you self-righteous a######! JK! :detsux:

7. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I may be the forum cynic, but I see a link to another website in TheRitous' future.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Do we not have a run threat?

I think we can run and pass the ball.

We have Starks and Grant, and Starks proved that he is not one to be taken with doubt after he tore it up in the playoffs.

9. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    We probably have a group of RB's that is the best since the days of Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett. Right now I'm more concerned about an OL that needs to protect our QB and knock opponents on their keisters.

• Like Like x 2
  10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Harlan Huckleby era?

11. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Wow...no run game? you must be looking at a different team than I am.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    The best teams actually don't need the running game. We have a weapon no other team has called A-Rod. If we won the Super bowl with no so called "Run game" then why would we need one now?

13. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Seriously, why is anyone giving this thread any credibility at all. Do we have the number one running offense in the league? Not a chance. Does that mean we are without a run threat? Again, not a chance. We have a solid run game, and the assertion that we are without a legitimate run threat is not only patently wrong, it is offensive.

14. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Grant, Starks, Green and Kuhn. I would certainly call that a running game, in fact, I think we are well on our way to being stacked (gasp!) at the run. I think Grant still has a few SB runs left in him, Starks is an emerging super star, with film and preseason play Green is going to run up some mad yardage for us and Kuhn will take care of the rest. GB is not really known for their run game to begin with as we operate under a west coast offense, so I think we are really going to luck out this year by adding a possible ace run game to our offensive arsenal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    For people that still think we "don't" have a running game

Week 15 At New England
    148 Rushing yards on 38 Rush attempts

Week 16, NY Giants
    119 Rushing yards, 2 Rushing TD's on 35 attempts

WildCard Playoffs at Philadelphia
    138 Rushing yards on 32 attempts

Divisional Playoffs at Atlanta
    96 Rushing yards, 2 Rushing TD's on 31 attempts

NFC Championship at Chicago
    120 Rushing yards, 2 Rushing TD's, on 32 attempts.

You guys are right doubting our rushing game, we didn't have a running game at the end of the year!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    I definitely see talent at the RB position. But that's only half of a "running game." I don't know how well we will be able to run to the left behind Clifton and Lang. Seems like even in our preseason games we were always trying to run to the right understandably, but won't other teams catch on and stack that side? Have only had a sample size of Lang, but I'm excited to see how his run blocking pans out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I agree. I think that left side of the line is a little suspect. I think the lack of OTA's etc., have hampered the OL coming together and, like you, I hope we see significant progress on that left side (run blocking and pass protection).

18. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Agreed. Let's not compare our running game with the first part of last season. Let's look at how we ended. Starks was a HUGE addition to our team. And now, God willing, Grant will be healthy this year. We have the running talent. Now we have to concentrate on allowing them do their job with said protection and blocking.

19. Jebsta16

Jebsta16 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    We are deep at running back and every team will have to consider our running game otherwise you will end up like the Eagles last year in the playoffs. If our run game is getting shut down that just means they are focusing on that and trying to make us one dimensional which will not work on us with Rodgers out there. We just best hope MM keeps mixing up the play calls and keeps team off balanced.

20. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    Is everyone forgetting that we have a quarterback that is averaging over 300 yards rushing?? That by itself is impressive :)

• Like Like x 2
  21. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Though very scary.

Still think the problem is the line, we got the running talent its our line that needs to create some good holes.

• Like Like x 2
  22. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Funny, that was my first thought exactly.

Folks, relax. The season hasn't even started. And in case you need a reminder, this team won the Super Bowl last season, with the guys we had on the roster and despite people thinking we needed to trade away our entire draft for Marshawn Lynch or some other big name.

Let's relax and see what happens, ok?

23. packerfan1441

packerfan1441 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Our running game is fine, I think people get impatient because of the lack of some home run running back like Chris Johnson, A.D., or M.J.D. but the fact of the matter is our running game is the perfect compliment to the way our offense operates. We have an unbelievable group of receivers and we utilize them perfectly. We run the ball between the tackles for 4 or 5 yards at a time to keep 2 to 3 linebackers in the box and when a defense is forced to recognize we will run the ball out of the shotgun on any down they have to keep in 3 to 4 down linemen and multiple linebackers thusly allowing us to pick defenses apart with our pass. We have very talented backs but no home run threats, but that's exactly what we need. Backs that do the dirty work in order to allow the home runs over the top to Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Those 3 guys play for the titans, Vikings, and Jaguars. Do any of those teams look like a playoff team?

Remember, you have to pay big name RBs big money. meaning you cant afford other guys in your offense.

This isnt fantasy football people.

25. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    That's it. We can't run. Season is over. Everyone just go back home. Listen to "It's the end of the world as we know it, it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"