If NFL TV Ratings Continue To Tank This Year, Will Roger Goodell Get His ... Kicked Out?

Should Roger Goodell Be Held Responsible For Decline In NFL TV Ratings?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I hope so, the fact this clown is still allowed to run this league is unbelievable. I almost hope the ratings start dropping even further so then it hits the owners' pockets and they make a plan to can Goodell. Singlehandedly this guy has brought about all the problems the league faces today and is going to drive it into bankruptcy if he's not canned.

D

Deleted member 6794

Man I hope so, the fact this clown is still allowed to run this league is unbelievable. I almost hope the ratings start dropping even further so then it hits the owners' pockets and they make a plan to can Goodell. Singlehandedly this guy has brought about all the problems the league faces today and is going to drive it into bankruptcy if he's not canned.

While I understand fans not liking Goodell the league's revenue has drastically increased during his tenure. With the owners being extremely satisfied with him there's zero chance he will be replaced anytime soon.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah. the league is bigger than ever. a temporary ratings dip (probably due to the last election) is nothing to worry about.

Pretty sure it was far more than the election or WS. Roger Goodell has put together some of the lousiest TV deals ever in football history and while it did get him some profits in the bank initially, the fans have begun to respond.

I'm betting those ratings continue to go down and they will start hitting owners' pockets and hitting them bad. And it will be ALL Goodell's fault, oh yes proof is in the pudding it is 100% Goodell's fault.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand fans not liking Goodell the league's revenue has drastically increased during his tenure. With the owners being extremely satisfied with him there's zero chance he will be replaced anytime soon.

Doesn't matter how much he makes if he spends about 10x that amount, and I know he does. It's all going to go by the wayside if he has that team started up in London.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There is more to TV ratings than just what Roger Goodell does or doesn't do. Most of the "old fans" that I know who have stopped watching have done so because they are tired of "all the money these guys are getting paid to play a game". Some also say, they have better things to do or more options (Netflix, Internet, etc.) available to them. I have never heard someone say "I won't watch NFL Football until they get rid of that bum Goodell." Yes, he can make decisions that change the appeal (good or bad) of the game for some, but I don't think he or any of the owners are making decisions that are intended to do anything but boost ratings.

I guess a fair comparison would be to look at ratings for all the Nationally Televised sporting events, how are they doing in the ratings?

While Football supposedly passed Baseball as "America's Pastime", I can see it eventually available to only those who want to pay to watch and I don't think that happens strictly because of Roger Goodell.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is more to TV ratings than just what Roger Goodell does or doesn't do. Most of the "old fans" that I know who have stopped watching have done so because they are tired of "all the money these guys are getting paid to play a game". Some also say, they have better things to do or more options (Netflix, Internet, etc.) available to them. I have never heard someone say "I won't watch NFL Football until they get rid of that bum Goodell." Yes, he can make decisions that change the appeal (good or bad) of the game for some, but I don't think he or any of the owners are making decisions that are intended to do anything but boost ratings.

I guess a fair comparison would be to look at ratings for all the Nationally Televised sporting events, how are they doing in the ratings?

While Football supposedly passed Baseball as "America's Pastime", I can see it eventually available to only those who want to pay to watch and I don't think that happens strictly because of Roger Goodell.

In a sense it already is that way on Sunday Ticket. The thing is the Packers because they're pretty consistent contenders tend to get flooded into a lot more markets than the teams who are sucking like the Bears, and they also get a lot of prime time slots because of that. Sure you don't have to pay if you can watch games that are available in your local market or national TV, but in some cases those local markets are very small. That to me makes Sunday Ticket, despite not being it in name, a PPV package for those games. Hell it's the most expensive PPV in the world already. I've figured out loopholes to get around it, but that's another issue.

Point is, this current model has been engineered by Goodell and his cronies and is just one problem among 1,000,000 others the league has because of him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hear you PFC, but technology itself will ultimately change the way the NFL is viewed. I think a full PPV for NFL games would ultimately crush it, or at least drastically change the money aspect. Sure there are diehards who would gladly pay, but I can't imagine that the revenue generated by PPV companies and paid to the NFL, would even come close to what FOX, CBS, ESPN, etc. pay to broadcast games. But at some point, some of those networks are going to say "you know, the revenues from advertising don't warrant the coverage, goodbye NFL." Slippery slope sports are on right now IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current model hasn't been done by Goodell. Regional games have been televised forever, regionally. Bigger games have been televised outside of their region for a lot longer than Goodell. Sunday night/Monday nigh games have switched. Sure you can watch a lot more NFL network, but that's new, and an add on. Not something they took away from people. all of those games on there weren't available to people all over the country before the NFL network.

and considering how much the NFL has increased in popularity under Goodell, i'm sure it's going to take more than 1 season to get him canned. it couldn't continue on it's current course forever. Nothing can. There's always expansion and contraction and ebbs and flows. just stick with something long enough, you'll see, it's not always up just as it's not always down.

My guess is there is so much more at play than just Goodell, and those that say they aren't watching until he's gone either aren't going to watch anyway, or already are watching and just telling you they aren't so they feel better about themselves for some reason. For the spakling of fans that may actually be boycotting, well they probably aren't enough to matter. The NFL has become it's own worst enemy IMO and it's not just because of Goodell. They've catered too much to the casual fan. WHich was great for ratings boosts and increased money. But casual fans are casual. They'll turn their attention as soon as new winds blow. They better make sure they don't turn off their base or there will be nothing left to support them eventually. That scenario is pretty far off, but it's still a possibility.

They've invited in the opinions of all these people by appealing to everyone. Some good, some not so good. now the game and how it's presented will change according to what the masses, the new masses are demanding. Owners are going to look at how Goodell adapts to these changes and judge him on that. a blip in ratings isn't going to do it. a poor or non reaction in response to getting people back interested in competitive games will though, eventually.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly have not paid a whole lot of attention to Goodell over the years so I guess I don't understand why so many fans hate him and think he's driving the product into the dumper.

Enlighten me please with specific grievances if you will?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Rodger Goodell is the Emperor Palpatine of the NFL. No is going to get rid of him.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly have not paid a whole lot of attention to Goodell over the years so I guess I don't understand why so many fans hate him and think he's driving the product into the dumper.

Enlighten me please with specific grievances if you will?

Several unnecessary rule changes to promote "Player Safety".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several unnecessary rule changes to promote "Player Safety".
Goodell doesn't make any rules. It's the rules committee which is overseen by the competition committee. New rules are voted on by owners. Goodell has nothing to do with it.

So it's coaches making the rules, other coaches approving, and enacted by the owners.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All of the Goodell hate from fans just baffles me. I don't find his media personality particularly likable, but the fact is that he serves at the pleasure of the NFL owners and essentially does what they want him to do. In a way, he's brilliant at his job-- he takes a million times more heat than any of the owners do for essentially being their mouthpiece and proxy. I just think it's generally become fashionable to hate him with very little substantiation behind it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty sure it was far more than the election or WS. Roger Goodell has put together some of the lousiest TV deals ever in football history and while it did get him some profits in the bank initially, the fans have begun to respond.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as the revenue the league makes out of the current TV deals has skyrocketed over Goodell's tenure with fans still being able to watch the same amount of games for free.

Doesn't matter how much he makes if he spends about 10x that amount, and I know he does.

Once again, taking a look at the Packers numbers teams have been making record profits over the past few years.

I highly doubt you know for a fact that Goodell is spending $400 million of his private money annually.

Reaction score
I'm curious what the ratings crash will do to team values. Teams have been, imo, in a bubble for years, getting higher and higher valuations with revenues which are impressive, but do not match those insanely high values (if we can use the Packer's reports as indicative for the league as a whole, which we pretty much can). I wonder what happens when some billionaire gets spooked and sells his team for less than he bought it for, or tries to sell it and finds no buyers. Do we have a modern day Dutch Tulip situation on our hands?

D

Deleted member 6794

Teams have been, imo, in a bubble for years, getting higher and higher valuations with revenues which are impressive, but do not match those insanely high values (if we can use the Packer's reports as indicative for the league as a whole, which we pretty much can).

I have no idea how you come up with that conclusion as the Packers have made record profits in recent years.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know all of the causes for his lack in popularity, but it seems to me that it was more surrounding player conduct and punishment. He became the judge, jury, and executioner and there were fights about whether the CBA truly granted him that power. Then there were high profile cases such as Ray Rice where he appeared to fail at using the powers he had secured, in order to take a real stand on things. He also has a hand in the whole CTE situation, being perceived (rightly or wrongly) as perpetuating the notion that CTE is not caused by football and attempting to withhold money from suffering veterans.

I think that Dantes was right-on in that Goodell is just doing what the owners want him to do. They deserve the fans' ire.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodell doesn't make any rules. It's the rules committee which is overseen by the competition committee. New rules are voted on by owners. Goodell has nothing to do with it.

So it's coaches making the rules, other coaches approving, and enacted by the owners.

It seems less about the written rules (which he doesn't write) but more so even about the proposed rules. From time to time you'll see reports surface from his spokespeople about the kind of new rules he wants to see enacted, even if he doesn't write them.

D

Deleted member 6794

those profits, in the tens of millions, and the valuations, in the multiple billions, do not match - record profits or not.

You have to understand that those valuations include enterprise values (equity plus net debt) based on the multiples of revenue of historical transactions, as well as offers to buy and invest in teams currently on the table. The values are based on each team’s current stadium (with adjustments for pending new stadiums and renovations) as well as revenue from non-NFL events, like concerts and stadium tours, is included when such revenue is pocketed by the team owner or an entity the owner controls.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know all of the causes for his lack in popularity, but it seems to me that it was more surrounding player conduct and punishment. He became the judge, jury, and executioner and there were fights about whether the CBA truly granted him that power. Then there were high profile cases such as Ray Rice where he appeared to fail at using the powers he had secured, in order to take a real stand on things. He also has a hand in the whole CTE situation, being perceived (rightly or wrongly) as perpetuating the notion that CTE is not caused by football and attempting to withhold money from suffering veterans.

I think that Dantes was right-on in that Goodell is just doing what the owners want him to do. They deserve the fans' ire.

This has been a common saying, but if it's true where the hell are the owners who are supposed to have some kind of sense of ethics and integrity? How come they aren't screaming for him to get ousted? He may have been setup to initially be the owners' mouthpiece but it looks like right now they've built a frankenstein and they're too chicken----ted to get rid of it.