If NFL TV Ratings Continue To Tank This Year, Will Roger Goodell Get His ... Kicked Out?

Should Roger Goodell Be Held Responsible For Decline In NFL TV Ratings?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
You have to understand that those valuations include enterprise values (equity plus net debt) based on the multiples of revenue of historical transactions, as well as offers to buy and invest in teams currently on the table. The values are based on each team’s current stadium (with adjustments for pending new stadiums and renovations) as well as revenue from non-NFL events, like concerts and stadium tours, is included when such revenue is pocketed by the team owner or an entity the owner controls.
Yes, I grant that, but you also have to admit that the valuations are highly speculative, given the enormous costs of upkeep with the associated developed real estate, the fact that a drop in income from television due to a drop in ratings could very easily scare off current investor stock, a reduction in popularity (if also resulting in lower game time turnout) could cause local municipalities to be less willing to absorb costs associated with teams, etc etc. There's a lot that could go wrong really quickly to result in the teams being enough of a liability so as to tank their values.

D

Deleted member 6794

This has been a common saying, but if it's true where the hell are the owners who are supposed to have some kind of sense of ethics and integrity? How come they aren't screaming for him to get ousted? He may have been setup to initially be the owners' mouthpiece but it looks like right now they've built a frankenstein and they're too chicken----ted to get rid of it.

Geez, team owners have made a shitload of money over Goodell's tenure and therefore are extremely satisfied with him being the commissioner. There's no reason for any of them to call for him being ousted.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think that Dantes was right-on in that Goodell is just doing what the owners want him to do. They deserve the fans' ire.

SPOT ON!

Hey for the $30M+/year that Goodell makes, I would let people throw pies in my face. Haters are going to hate and I think he actually revels in being hated by fans, the people who aren't paying him. I can't say that I am a HUGE fan of the guy, but besides his questionable (for some) handling of Spygate, Bountygate, Deflategate and CTE, he has done what the owners have asked and paid him to do, make them billions. I also don't think any of the infamous "gates" really had a way out for him to look good to everyone.

Even the great Pete Rozelle had his critics but it's a job that pays him millions to do the dirty work that the owners either don't have the time or stomach for.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, I grant that, but you also have to admit that the valuations are highly speculative, given the enormous costs of upkeep with the associated developed real estate, the fact that a drop in income from television due to a drop in ratings could very easily scare off current investor stock, a reduction in popularity (if also resulting in lower game time turnout) could cause local municipalities to be less willing to absorb costs associated with teams, etc etc. There's a lot that could go wrong really quickly to result in the teams being enough of a liability so as to tank their values.

While Forbes' valuations of NFL teams are highly speculative the last franchise sold gained significantly more money than the team was estimated at as Terry Pegula bought the Bills for $1.4 billion in 2014 after the franchise being valued at $935 million entering that season.

Reaction score
While Forbes' valuations of NFL teams are highly speculative the last franchise sold gained significantly more money than the team was estimated at as Terry Pegula bought the Bills for $1.4 billion in 2014 after the franchise being valued at $935 million entering that season.
That just indicates that there are rich speculators ;)

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, team owners have made a shitload of money over Goodell's tenure and therefore are extremely satisfied with him being the commissioner. There's no reason for any of them to call for him being ousted.

That money often dries up quickly when they go building new stadiums and making bonehead moves like relocating to LA or even worse, a non-football market known as Las Vegas. With Goodell dictating marketing strategies and oversaturating fans with a product they're now starting to shut off, the TV revenue will be plummeting and owners like Zigi Wilf who owes Minneapolis about $20 billion dollars for that stadium are going to be falling behind bigtime on payments.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That money often dries up quickly when they go building new stadiums and making bonehead moves like relocating to LA or even worse, a non-football market known as Las Vegas. With Goodell dictating marketing strategies and oversaturating fans with a product they're now starting to shut off, the TV revenue will be plummeting and owners like Zigi Wilf who owes Minneapolis about $20 billion dollars for that stadium are going to be falling behind bigtime on payments.

20 billion or million?

D

Deleted member 6794

That just indicates that there are rich speculators ;)

It indicates that rich people significantly overpay for the chance to own an NFL team.

That money often dries up quickly when they go building new stadiums and making bonehead moves like relocating to LA or even worse, a non-football market known as Las Vegas.

NFL teams building new stadiums actually serves as a cash cow for the league.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Goodell boos at the draft will never get old.

Yes, it does get old. It's childish and detracts from what should be, for the draftees, a crowning achievement. And they are greeted with a chorus of boos.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and owners like Zigi Wilf who owes Minneapolis about $20 billion dollars for that stadium are going to be falling behind bigtime on payments.
Can you provide a source for this comment?

I live in Mpls and haven't heard anything about the Vikings owing money to Minneapolis. The ***** funded roughly $500M. The team had to pony up roughly $600M, but as always happened they taped others sources for owner equity. They raised $100M in personal seat licenses, got a $100M fake loan from the NFL, a $50M real loan that needs to be repaid to the NFL, a $50M "bonus" from the NFL, and likely monetized the naming rights at $7.5M for another $100M. So they probably paid $200M or less in straight cash. The NFL is the only entity that they owe money to for the stadium.

Sky King

Reaction score

I live in Mpls and haven't heard anything about the Vikings owing money to Minneapolis. The ***** funded roughly $500M. The team had to pony up roughly $600M, but as always happened they taped others sources for owner equity. They raised $100M in personal seat licenses, got a $100M fake loan from the NFL, a $50M real loan that needs to be repaid to the NFL, a $50M "bonus" from the NFL, and likely monetized the naming rights at $7.5M for another $100M. So they probably paid $200M or less in straight cash. The NFL is the only entity that they owe money to for the stadium.
Who profits from the concessions, parking fees, or any other non-ticket revenues connected with the stadium? Will part of the $600 million be generated from any of that revenue?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm also trying to figure out why he supposedly owes 20 billion for a stadium that cost a little over 1 billion.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an article in the WSJ that talks about the rating dip before the election and the bounceback afterwards, as well as other factors that affect the ratings, none of which are named Goodell.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-ratings-declines-ease-after-election-1483655875

It does reference the "NFL Redzone", live streamed games on social media, commercials and the effect on game play flow they have, Brady missing the first quarter of the season, some getting upset over protests, poor matchups early and such. It references certain factors for the rebound too: Election over, Cowboys and Packers surging and more competitive games being flexed to primetime.

While I do think Goodell is getting better at speaking live, he will never be a great personality in front of a mic. But as far as what he does for his employers, he is doing great. I, as others have stated, have no idea why so many hate him.

NFL revenue has risen from $6 billion when he took over to an estimated 414 billion last year, a record. Up an estimated 4900 million (7%) from the year before. He is not going anywhere soon.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...lion-in-revenue-during-2016-season/ar-AAnTZa3

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also trying to figure out why he supposedly owes 20 billion for a stadium that cost a little over 1 billion.
The city of Minneapolis uses the same accountant as Goodell. I heard recently Goodell spends over $400M/ year despite only make 1/10 of that.

D

Deleted member 6794

CTE is the reason football is on the decline.

There's no reason to believe the NFL is on the decline.

The league has to figure out a way to prevent injuries leading to CTE though. Therefore they have made a pledge of an additional $100 million in support for independent medical research and engineering advancements

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CTE is the reason football is on the decline.

it's not on the decline. jd power did a survey...“J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.”

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So long as Roger Goodell keeps peddling phony scandal stories about non-existent issues such as deflategate and bountygate while sweeping bad issues such as Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and Aldon Smith under the rug, he's going to be a liability to the NFL and have a CTE problem. It's already bad enough that he wrote a useless substance abuse policy that bans harmless drugs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't watch as many, mostly because I have other priorities these days. Part of it is inconsistencies in officiating and all the controversy over everything every week is making me care less and less actually. I know it brings in viewers or at least sports radio callers, but in the end, I care less about the game than I did when it's always something that needs to be debated or talked about or reported on. Part of that is Goodell, but it's mostly fans consuming this junk relentlessly, and the media

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So long as Roger Goodell keeps peddling phony scandal stories about non-existent issues such as deflategate and bountygate while sweeping bad issues such as Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and Aldon Smith under the rug, he's going to be a liability to the NFL and have a CTE problem. It's already bad enough that he wrote a useless substance abuse policy that bans harmless drugs.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I'm assuming it isn't, in which case I'll focus on Ray Rice. If I remember correctly, Goodell was the first commissioner to focus on 'the integrity of the game' and Ray Rice wouldn't have been suspended in any other league for what he did. Hard to blame a guy for trying something new, figuring out what he did didn't work perfectly, and then try to adjust it so it would be better.

Pretty much people hate Goodell because he's in charge. It's how humans are wired, just like how most people want to be the underdog.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts