If NFL TV Ratings Continue To Tank This Year, Will Roger Goodell Get His ... Kicked Out?

Should Roger Goodell Be Held Responsible For Decline In NFL TV Ratings?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Goodell is the apparent lack of consistency with which he deals with suspensions and the like. I say apparent because admittedly I do not bother to go into all the details of each instance and really I am probably only aware a a fraction of the suspensions anyway. Perhaps the biggest issue I have is with the timeliness of the suspensions. I feel the teams have a right to know as soon as possible what will be happening to their players (the Browns and Josh Gordon come to mind) while Goodell just seems to drag out the decisions.

As much as some people will disagree IMO Goodell will be in the HOF as a contributor some day simply because of the rise in popularity of the NFL during his tenure. The NFL has become HUGE and more importantly imensely profitable and he was in charge for a large part of it.

I do think a lot of the hate is simply because its the in thing to do.

For you haters I have just two words...Bud Selig.

I should note that I am not a baseball fan and so I just fell into the same trap I mentioned above. I have no idea what the beef is with Bud Selig but all the baseball fans I know seem to hate him so I went with it. Would David Stern have been a better choice. People don't seem to like him either. Maybe its just the position fans don't care for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I'm assuming it isn't, in which case I'll focus on Ray Rice. If I remember correctly, Goodell was the first commissioner to focus on 'the integrity of the game' and Ray Rice wouldn't have been suspended in any other league for what he did. Hard to blame a guy for trying something new, figuring out what he did didn't work perfectly, and then try to adjust it so it would be better.

Pretty much people hate Goodell because he's in charge. It's how humans are wired, just like how most people want to be the underdog.

No the knock was that the punishments levied on Rice were inconsistent and didn't go far enough (and they didn't) as compared to banning certain players and coaches in the league for a whole year for non-existent offenses, not to mention destroying the spygate evidence and sweeping that under the rug too.

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No the knock was that the punishments levied on Rice were inconsistent and didn't go far enough (and they didn't) as compared to banning certain players and coaches in the league for a whole year for non-existent offenses, not to mention destroying the spygate evidence and sweeping that under the rug too.

I fully understood what you were saying with Ray Rice. As I said, Goodell amended his suspension to something more appropriate. I'm guessing that no matter what I say, you're never going to listen though. So let's just agree to disagree on this one.

D

Deleted member 6794

So long as Roger Goodell keeps peddling phony scandal stories about non-existent issues such as deflategate and bountygate while sweeping bad issues such as Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and Aldon Smith under the rug, he's going to be a liability to the NFL and have a CTE problem. It's already bad enough that he wrote a useless substance abuse policy that bans harmless drugs.

There's nothing more Goodell could have done in those cases as the league suspended Rice, Hardy and Smith. While you might consider some drugs harmless it's the players fault to use them as long as they're illegal according to state law.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing more Goodell could have done in those cases as the league suspended Rice, Hardy and Smith. While you might consider some drugs harmless it's the players fault to use them as long as they're illegal according to state law.

They could use them in states like Colorado and Washington and he'd still suspend them.

H

HardRightEdge

They could use them in states like Colorado and Washington and he'd still suspend them.
Yeah, ask Von Miller about that. Alcohol consumption is legal everywhere. NFL substance abuse policy includes alcohol. The players are tested for alcohol levels; failure gets you a ticket into the remediation program with repeated failures earning a suspension, e.g., Josh Gordon, Manziel.

H

HardRightEdge

Because they signed contracts that they wouldn't smoke pot. What is so hard to understand about that?
There's nothing wrong with that in the sense that the players union submitted to the NFL office's notions of "conduct unbecoming" and the NFL office's role as judge and jury presumably in exchange for some concessions, i.e.. money.

By all rights these should be matters for an independent arbitration board, but that's not what the players union negotiated.

However, we have NFL owners in the gambling business and now a team in Vegas. There is some hypocrisy involved.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that in the sense that the players union submitted to the NFL office's notions of "conduct unbecoming" and the NFL office's role as judge and jury presumably in exchange for some concessions, i.e.. money.

By all rights these should be matters for an independent arbitration board, but that's not what the players union negotiated.

However, we have NFL owners in the gambling business and now a team in Vegas. There is some hypocrisy involved.

This, not to mention Goodell's involvement with bribery schemes involving the 2012 replacement ref debacle.

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I won't get into the politics of all this. I still think though that Roger Goodell's substance abuse policy is bad and needs amendments to it.

You mean the one that the Players Union agreed to? As in it's 100% Goodell's fault that he didn't come up with something better?

This, not to mention Goodell's involvement with bribery schemes involving the 2012 replacement ref debacle.

I did not know about this and I don't see any google results in my couple of searches. Can you provide a link or two for me to read? I'm still firmly on the side of Goodell being a good commissioner, but if he's getting paid $40 million a year and taking bribes, I could reverse that stance pretty quickly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I won't get into the politics of all this. I still think though that Roger Goodell's substance abuse policy is bad and needs amendments to it.

Interestingly the league offered to work with the player union on a study of marijuana as a pain management tool today.

Do you have any evidence for Goodell being involved in a bribery scheme or are you just still bitter about the replacement refs being responsible for the Packers losing at Seattle that year???

Reaction score
Pretty much people hate Goodell because he's in charge. It's how humans are wired, just like how most people want to be the underdog.
I'd suggest that people only "want" to be the underdog as a way to convince themselves that they are happy not having a greater amount of power to themselves, or possibly as a factor of peer pressure for the same, or finally as a measure of virtue signaling (ie, I may have power, but I too like being the underdog because I am virtuous like you, oh person without power).

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I take part of my statement on Goodell driving down tv ratings. I forgot about Carrie Underwood, she needs to get booted from NBC for creating an awful SNF song. Worst singer I have ever heard.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about Carrie Underwood, she needs to get booted from NBC for creating an awful SNF song. Worst singer I have ever heard.
the dance she does makes me uneasy every time I watch. Train wreck - I can't look away though I hate to see.

But, as far as bad singing goes, gotta give it up to my boy biz

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg&ved=0ahUKEwjyh9fuzLnVAhVJ4oMKHS7OCpsQ3ywIKzAB&usg=AFQjCNFE2PS7HbOIdW5kigjd0F7lnjHRow

Last edited: