Time For The NFL Players Union To Go On Strike Until Roger Goodell Is Sh#tcanned And Refs Shookup

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh really, a CEO who gets paid in 100s of millions of dollars and has no revenue responsibility :rolleyes: Wonder if I can apply for the job.

I can understand the hate against him and the direction League is heading, but doesn't mean ridiculously stupid statements can be thrown about. He's managing a 75bn dollar business enterprise and to dismiss him as a limo driver is just nonsense.

Guess you haven't heard the saying that it's not what you know but who you know.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh..... I’m thinking that the players association going on strike right now would be a really, really bad move. There is already a decent percentage of fans that think that many of the players are an entitled, ungrateful, immature, overpaid bunch of misbehaving whiny bags. Many of these people have already quit watching games and found other ways to occupy their time. Their association agreed to their percentage cut of league-wide revenue. I’m not sure they are in a real good bargaining position at the moment. I’m thinking the owners can handle a strike a lot easier than a majority of the players.

That said, I find the current situation with the refereeing repulsive.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh..... I’m thinking that the players association going on strike right now would be a really, really bad move. There is already a decent percentage of fans that think that many of the players are an entitled, ungrateful, immature, overpaid bunch of misbehaving whiny bags. Many of these people have already quit watching games and found other ways to occupy their time. Their association agreed to their percentage cut of league-wide revenue. I’m not sure they are in a real good bargaining position at the moment. I’m thinking the owners can handle a strike a lot easier than a majority of the players.

Maybe, but I still think people don't understand how much debt the owners would be unable to pay if their income from fans buying tickets got cut off from players going on strike. I'm willing to bet there's a number of owners operating their teams from a big budget deficit and would be unable to pay off debts if the players grinded the league to a halt from a big old strike.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why strike? Players are supposed to play by the rules and if rules change, they change too.

Goodell is in power because he's a astute businessman and he keeps the NFL money flowing in. When ratings start to drop and sponsors start hesitating, he'll have to change.

AAF is scheduled to start early 2019 and XFL follows in 2020. There will be some competition no matter how successful they may be.

So you're ok with Rodgers taking a worse hit than Alex Smith did, and have the Smith hit flagged, and the Rodgers hit NOT flagged. What kinda Cleveland Browns logic are you throwing here?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're ok with Rodgers taking a worse hit than Alex Smith did, and have the Smith hit flagged, and the Rodgers hit NOT flagged. What kinda Cleveland Browns logic are you throwing here?

I don't think he understands that a policy can have a good intention but still be bad if it's poorly written as I believe several policies are.

Also another grievance the players association can use in the strike is a badly written substance abuse policy. They need to send a message to the league that there is nothing wrong with PEDs or medical marijuana, and that these ridiculous suspensions like the ones imposed on Aaron Jones and Mark Ingram must stop.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This "ability as a businessman" is completely made up bullsh*t. No commissioner in professional sports has ever manufactured revenue.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but I still think people don't understand how much debt the owners would be unable to pay if their income from fans buying tickets got cut off from players going on strike. I'm willing to bet there's a number of owners operating their teams from a big budget deficit and would be unable to pay off debts if the players grinded the league to a halt from a big old strike.

If you think the Owners would suffer more then the players financially if a strike were to occur then you should probably refrain from commenting on anything finance related. It's just plain wrong

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think the Owners would suffer more then the players financially if a strike were to occur then you should probably refrain from commenting on anything finance related. It's just plain wrong

I'm pretty sure you've never seen a damn owner's balance sheet in your life.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m in that decent percentage, but I’m still watching for the foreseeable future. Lol

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sure about that? Most fans and especially Packer fans wouldn't make such an ignorant statement.

Are you sure the owners would lose any money during a strike? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

I will make this prediction, if the players go on strike the owners will make record profits.

I will let you figure it out. It's not only possible but probable.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure you haven't either.

I have however seen the Packers balance sheet, as they're publicly owned they are required to release it, and they're not exactly barley "breaking even" and then coupled with the fact that evaluation of EACH NFL franchise has gone through the roof, something that doesnt happen without increased revenue, under Goodells watch signifies the owners arent hurting in the pocketbook

Not to mention that these are BILLIONARES that can/could go without the revenue stream the NFL brings pretty easily should a strike occur and that the VAST majority of players arent in a position where they're set financially.

Also the fact that pretty much every other strike/lockout in history has resulted in the players caving because players are in a much worse position to go without the revenue stream should make it obvious which side is hurt by a strike/lockout more financially.... Or at least it should be obvious.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you haven't either.

I have however seen the Packers balance sheet, as they're publicly owned they are required to release it, and they're not exactly barley "breaking even" and then coupled with the fact that evaluation of EACH NFL franchise has gone through the roof, something that doesnt happen without increased revenue, under Goodells watch signifies the owners arent hurting in the pocketbook

Not to mention that these are BILLIONARES that can/could go without the revenue stream the NFL brings pretty easily should a strike occur and that the VAST majority of players arent in a position where they're set financially.

Also the fact that pretty much every other strike/lockout in history has resulted in the players caving because players are in a much worse position to go without the revenue stream should make it obvious which side is hurt by a strike/lockout more financially.... Or at least it should be obvious.

I don't care if that happened under his watch. I could have been sitting in his chair and the same thing would have happened. Also, good thing for the Packers is we're not trying to buy or payoff a big new stadium like the majority of these other owners are. And besides, I'm pretty sure the owners are not liking the idea of paying all their losses out of pocket.

I mean, yeah I'm so certain the owners are just jumping up and down in their seats wanting a strike. And I'm certain they're even more excited about the bad press and scorching stories the media would give them. Oh yes, the media unanimously would put the blame for a strike on the owners' heads.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will make this prediction, if the players go on strike the owners will make record profits.

I will let you figure it out. It's not only possible but probable.

Oh yeah, cuz they're just dying to sell their teams off to investment banks like Goldman Sachs for profits.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, good thing for the Packers is we're not trying to buy or payoff a big new stadium like the majority of these other owners are.
A recent factoid:
But the Oakland Raiders, who are moving to the state of Nevada, are going to get $750 million in public money--a record amount--for their $1.9 billion stadium in Las Vegas. In October, Nevada’s legislature approved a plan for Clark County to provide $750 million for the stadium over the next 30 years through bonds backed by a new hotel tax. Even discounting that $750 million to the present at 2% yields over $400 million. Either Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman Sheldon Adelson or Goldman, Sachs would spend $650 million and the Raiders have committed $500 million.

And about some of that private financing, seems the taxpayers back that also.
The $500 million from the Raiders includes a $200 million loan from the NFL and $300 million that would be raised partially by the sale of personal seat licenses for the Las Vegas stadium. But in an unusual twist in the stadium's financing plan is for the city, not the team, to sell the PSLs.

The PSL money is considered "private funding," probably for tax reasons. But given how PSLs have gone down in value in San Fancisco, it seems that taxpayers are at risk here as well.

I think this should be moved to the asylum if it continues.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A recent factoid:

And about some of that private financing, seems the taxpayers back that also.

I think this should be moved to the asylum if it continues.

See here's the thing, the owners depend on that private financing for their stadiums. But if the players go on strike and don't cave in until they get their way, I just gotta wonder what these local governments and investment banks would do. Would they stay committed to such financing, or would they pull out and tell the owners to pay the whole thing out of pocket?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if that happened under his watch. I could have been sitting in his chair and the same thing would have happened. Also, good thing for the Packers is we're not trying to buy or payoff a big new stadium like the majority of these other owners are. And besides, I'm pretty sure the owners are not liking the idea of paying all their losses out of pocket.

I mean, yeah I'm so certain the owners are just jumping up and down in their seats wanting a strike. And I'm certain they're even more excited about the bad press and scorching stories the media would give them. Oh yes, the media unanimously would put the blame for a strike on the owners' heads.

1: Not sure if you know how financing works for stadiums but it's been explained above

2: Have you ever seen media coverage of a lockout or strike? For better or worse the blame is normally portrayed against the players

3: No one is arguing a strike would be a good thing for the owners. Only that they are better equipped to deal with one

4: At this point I'm starting to think your trolling

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2: Have you ever seen media coverage of a lockout or strike? For better or worse the blame is normally portrayed against the players

I seen to recall in 2012 when the refs demanded better pay that certain media stories were blasting the owners for not paying them.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see them taking the owners' sides over players strikes either when players would air legitimate grievances against them during strikes.

Your flat out wrong. Pretty much every strike in history has been leveled on the players. It's not a matter of what you believe. It's what has actually happened

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half of America makes 30k a year at their job and get pissed at co workers if they get a 25 cent raise or a better parking spot. They don’t like people they presume to be rich whinning about anything.

Members online

Latest posts