if coleman or doctson slips to 27.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey, i've got nothing wrong w/moving up...especially if ted can nab his man...but, there is a lot of depth on d-line this year...we can use solid depth/starters on the d-line; as well as linebackers!!!...

D

Deleted member 6794

hey, i've got nothing wrong w/moving up...especially if ted can nab his man...but, there is a lot of depth on d-line this year...we can use solid depth/starters on the d-line; as well as linebackers!!!...

There's no doubt the Packers have to address the defensive line in this year's draft. The only players Thompson should even consider trading up for are Myles Jack and Leonard Floyd.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
myles jack scares me...too many knee issues...he stated yesterday, that he may require microfracture surgery??!! if, teddy is going to take a linebacker that high; it better be someone without any medical red flags!!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers have to address the defensive line in this year's draft. The only players Thompson should even consider trading up for are Myles Jack and Leonard Floyd.

I'd actually be ok with a trade up (obviously not as far up as the two you mentioned would require) to get Sheldon Rankins. Defense would be nice with another Mike Daniels on the dline. Again, though, you wouldn't have to move up nearly as far for Rankins as you would have to for Jack or Floyd.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Side note, just read an article on ESPN Boston that used football reference's AV formula to rank team's ability to draft players in the first round and the Packers came in 27th, so I'm not sure anyone should be rooting for a player they like to be drafted by the Packers in the first round; if you like a guy, hope the Packers draft him in the second round :)

At first I thought the rank was ridiculous but when you go back and actually look at the first rounders under Thompson they've either been outstanding (Rodgers, Matthews) or terrible (Harrell, Sherrod, Hawk). Obviously context needs to brought in to play here, Packers tend to draft much later but that actually doesn't seem to hurt them since their worst first rounders came earlier. Seriously, Hawk at 5, Raji at 9 and Harrell at 16...weird.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd actually be ok with a trade up (obviously not as far up as the two you mentioned would require) to get Sheldon Rankins. Defense would be nice with another Mike Daniels on the dline. Again, though, you wouldn't have to move up nearly as far for Rankins as you would have to for Jack or Floyd.

I expect Rankins to be drafted within the top 15 as well.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no doubt, gentlemen...again...if we were to drop down 3-6 spots (early second rd.) we could get a d-lineman or two, or a d-lineman & linebacker...lots of quality depth...than nab a tight-end like vannett, hunter or higbee?

D

Deleted member 6794

no doubt, gentlemen...again...if we were to drop down 3-6 spots (early second rd.) we could get a d-lineman or two, or a d-lineman & linebacker...lots of quality depth...than nab a tight-end like vannett, hunter or higbee?

After signing Cook there´s no reason to spend an early pick on a tight end. The Packers most likely crossed Higbee off their board after his arrest earlier this month.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

If we trade back with say Cleveland, who may want to jump ahead of Denver to grab a QB, we would get their second (32) and probably 4th (99), which would probably benefit us. But I'm not convinced that other teams aren't thinking along the same lines on how deep this draft is on defense. TT may have a hard trading back out of round one this year and will all depend upon what players are sitting there at #27. If its a player the Packers covet at a position of need, I expect TT to pull the trigger.

I would not be a fan of drafting/signing Higbee, unless the details of his recent event are wrong. Even then, the Cook signing covered us at TE and I see other positions more in need of using anything other then a 5th or later pick on that position.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed...regardless of who it is...i still believe we could use a quality t.e. Vannett might be available in the 3rd or 4th round?

D

Deleted member 6794

agreed...regardless of who it is...i still believe we could use a quality t.e. Vannett might be available in the 3rd or 4th round?

Vannett might turn out to be a good run blocker at the pro level but he offers close to no athleticism as a receiving threat, something the Packers could be in need of again after this season with Cook on a one year deal. If Thompson decides to spend a pick on the position I would prefer to select Jerell Adams.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeh, he is probably a 3-4th round pick...lots of potential with him...the point being, we need someone other than cook....like you say; he is only a one year dealer, who has very little history of any sort of production...i know that could be a extention of the qb's he has played with? you never know...rogers could be just what he requires to shine in the spot light?! i just don't want to see teddy pick a "flyer" on anyone named "ringo" again....

D

Deleted member 6794

yeh, he is probably a 3-4th round pick...lots of potential with him...the point being, we need someone other than cook....like you say; he is only a one year dealer, who has very little history of any sort of production...i know that could be a extention of the qb's he has played with? you never know...rogers could be just what he requires to shine in the spot light?!

Cook for sure offers much needed athleticism at the tight end position. Hopefully playing with an elite quarterback will result in decent receiving numbers for him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, it's got to be Treadwell if one were to be taken in the first. He's got the hands strength and size of an elite player, and people are making way too big of a deal about speed. Watch the play against Cyrus Jones, an Alabama CB who runs in the 4.4-4.5 range. He runs right by him and makes a catch you see the greats do.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you really think teddy would take treadwell over defense, in the 1st round? i mean, i guess its possible...but, i think we are going defense first...Defense wins championships!!!! this is why i'm a data entry guy, and teds the G.M....

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you really think teddy would take treadwell over defense, in the 1st round? i mean, i guess its possible...but, i think we are going defense first...Defense wins championships!!!! this is why i'm a data entry guy, and teds the G.M....
If we were truly "building through the draft", then he would be a good way to go. Nelson isn't getting any younger, and the rest of the receivers look helpless without him.

Defense has been selected in the first for years now, and it's yielded a building block or two. Any of the defensive tackles available aren't going to make as much difference as a guy who gets his hands on the ball in the long run, unless one significantly exceeds expectations. But we're really just talking about filling holes, which isn't a great strategy in the draft.

Now if Ragland is on the board, that's a different story. He fills a need and is a keeper in the long run. But otherwise, I'm all for Treadwell. Good kid, great ball player.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have no problem taking treadwell if he is there...i just think you can pickup receivers in later rounds....having said that...treadwell is a difference maker, and i'm not sold on Adams yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

The more I think about it, it's got to be Treadwell if one were to be taken in the first. He's got the hands strength and size of an elite player, and people are making way too big of a deal about speed. Watch the play against Cyrus Jones, an Alabama CB who runs in the 4.4-4.5 range. He runs right by him and makes a catch you see the greats do.

I´m glad Treadwell ended up with the Vikings and not the Packers. He struggles getting any separation and is inconsistent at best making contested catches. In addition he drops too many balls.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m glad Treadwell ended up with the Vikings and not the Packers. He struggles getting any separation and is inconsistent at best making contested catches. In addition he drops too many balls.

I agree. Treadwell is the opposite of what green Bay needs. We saw last year they needed speed and guys who could get open. That is not treadwell.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Those WR's and OT's as well as most of the board, peeled off perfectly for the Packers and addressing needs at #27. Couldn't have asked for much better.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still a little shocked at the kenny clark pick...i thought we could have traded down w/denver, or picked someone a little bigger w/longer arms...ie/butler, johnon, etc...

Members online

Latest posts