if coleman or doctson slips to 27.

D

Deleted member 6794

Either way, the difference in speed isn't that great and, stating again for the record that I would be ecstatic if Coleman fell to the Packers, I would prefer Doctson for two reasons: 1) He's much better at actually catching the ball and 2) putting Coleman on the team would basically give the Packers two Randall Cobbs and the current coaching staff doesn't believe in route concepts that work best with those kinds of receivers.

I would be excited to get either Coleman or Doctson. While Coleman has a similar build as Cobb he´s best suited to play on the outside and therefore seems like a good fit for the Packers possible needs at the position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah that is where I would disagree. I really don't want the Packers drafting a 1st round wr. I know they will bed to replace jordy in a couple years but I am pretty happy with nelson, Cobb and Montgomery at the top 3 for the next couple years. I might be in the minority. The more I read about Dotson and coleman the less inclined I am to want them. Maybe I need to look at pff. They seem like number 2s to me

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t want the Packers to draft a wide receiver in the first round if there is a player at a position of need (DL, ILB) within the top tier available. I guess Coleman or Doctson would be in a tier above everyone else at #27 if still on the board in which case Thompson should select him.

Cobb and Montgomery are best suited to play in the slot so as long as you don´t feel comfortable with either Adams or Janis starting on the perimeter the Packers are in need of an outside receiver.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say the best wrs slip to us? Im not convinced drafting one would be wise. Our wrs will bounce back big this year imo. You really have to look at the situation with our wrs in 2015 pessimisticly to think there is room for a 1st round wr on this team...

But what about a trade back with a team who really needs a wr? Coleman or doctson slips to 27 and its great value! We could cash in if say the rams, wanted a wr for their new franchise qb...
Any other teams come to mind?
we need to trade down w/denver/cleveland or someone...get more pics...if we trade down we would get at least another 2nd round and a 3rd or 4th, depending how far we drop and who with...we could get a defensive tackle (or two), a linebacker, or tight end, etc...

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need to trade down w/denver/cleveland or someone...get more pics...if we trade down we would get at least another 2nd round and a 3rd or 4th, depending how far we drop and who with...we could get a defensive tackle (or two), a linebacker, or tight end, etc...
Why do we need picks, yes there is a better chance of finding players I guess with more, my thing this year is trade up and get more quality. TT does go your route more often than not, but we have fewer open spots and some glaring needs. I would rather take our 9 picks and move up in the first a bit, draft 7 guys, get some undrafted guys and see what happens.

By the way if we trade our 27th for Den 31st we might get a 4th at best and I doubt that.

D

Deleted member 6794

The most important job for Thompson in this year´s draft is to address inside linebacker as well as the defensive line. If an impact player at those positions or a clear cut best player at another is available at #27 there´s absolutely no reason for him to trade back.

By the way if we trade our 27th for Den 31st we might get a 4th at best and I doubt that.

The Packers would for sure receive a fourth round pick from Denver trading back four spots in the first round.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do we need picks, yes there is a better chance of finding players I guess with more, my thing this year is trade up and get more quality. TT does go your route more often than not, but we have fewer open spots and some glaring needs. I would rather take our 9 picks and move up in the first a bit, draft 7 guys, get some undrafted guys and see what happens.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats wrong w/more pics?...specially if we only drop a few spots...still get the man teddy wants and possibly more...ie/an extra d-lineman and/or linebacker/te/rb/wr/etc...lets face it...we need quality depth at linebacker, d-line, and o-line....plus, you can always use the extra pics to: a/ trade back up or b/ trade for a player or pics next year...teddy believes in the draft...in teddy we must trust! we could trade down and still get a vernon butler or chris jones & a tightend?! anyway, i'm not here to argue; i just honestly believe it would be in our best interest, if players we need/want are still there late in the first & early in the second! Can't wait until thursday night....go-pack-go...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t get me wrong, I don´t want the Packers to draft a wide receiver in the first round if there is a player at a position of need (DL, ILB) within the top tier available. I guess Coleman or Doctson would be in a tier above everyone else at #27 if still on the board in which case Thompson should select him.

Cobb and Montgomery are best suited to play in the slot so as long as you don´t feel comfortable with either Adams or Janis starting on the perimeter the Packers are in need of an outside receiver.
I got to ask... Why is montgomery a slot receiver? I understand Cobb who is quick, not big. Who can move around, run, slice, dice, puree, bake and serve most defenders for dinner. And i understand montgomery can run, and has a similar skill set. But montgomery is what, 6'1, 225 or something? I feel he could play outside just fine...

So why is he labeled a slot type?

Last edited:

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to ask... Why is montgomery a slot receiver? I understand Cobb who is quick, not big. Who can move around, run, slice, dice, purwe
he isn' a true "burner" by nfl standards...excellent hands, routes, and quickness...a 6'2" or taller w/speed and jumping ablilty would be nice on the outside and in the red zone...match that w/a 6'6" tightend w/some speed, would open huge doors for our qb & offense, as a whole...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most important job for Thompson in this year´s draft is to address inside linebacker as well as the defensive line. If an impact player at those positions or a clear cut best player at another is available at #27 there´s absolutely no reason for him to trade back.

The Packers would for sure receive a fourth round pick from Denver trading back four spots in the first round.
Can we move up four spots for a 4th to steal a player we really want??? Im not as optimistic about that. Id expect to pay a 3rd. And thats what i would want in trade at least for seone to come up and basicly steal one of those wrs at #27

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he isn' a true "burner" by nfl standards...excellent hands, routes, and quickness...a 6'2" or taller w/speed and jumping ablilty would be nice on the outside and in the red zone...match that w/a 6'6" tightend w/some speed, would open huge doors for our qb & offense, as a whole...
Montgomery ran in the low 4.5s i think. He is big and physical, but most pf all he is very agile for a guy his size.
If he wasnt a rookie, i think he starts outside last year after nelson goes down, instead of jones. Also when he finally earned his shot, he was killin them that game he got hurt. Kind of a freak injury too. Didnt look bad, but obviously tweaked the structural part of the ankle...
I think he would do very well outside. Boldin back in the az days comes to mind...

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery ran in the low 4.5s i think. He is big and physical, but most pf all he is very agile for a guy his size.
If he wasnt a rookie, i think he starts outside last year after nelson goes down, instead of jones. Also when he finally earned his shot, he was killin them that game he got hurt. Kind of a freak injury too. Didnt look bad, but obviously tweaked the structural part of the ankle...
I think he would do very well outside. Boldin back in the az days comes to mind...

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you could be right? i just think a taller, speed demon on the outside w/a vertical of 38" or better would be awesome...combine that with a big-body tight end, and imagine the possibilities???

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I got to ask... Why is montgomery a slot receiver? I understand Cobb who is quick, not big. Who can move around, run, slice, dice, puree, bake and serve most defenders for dinner. And i understand montgomery can run, and has a similar skill set. But montgomery is what, 6'1, 225 or something? I feel he could play outside just fine...

Just a label for now would be my guess. Athletically, Montgomery’s skill set is varied enough to line up at both spots. He actually measured 5-foot-11 7/8" at the NFL scouting combine. I have also seen him listed as tall as 6' 2" so no idea why the discrepancy. His height is on the low end for a perimeter receiver, but his 40.5-inch vertical jump allows him to play bigger. I remember reading comments from MM that he could line up anywhere on the field and depending on what Adams does this year, we may just see him out wide.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly...the more, the marrier? like i said before; the more "quality" depth at each position...the better...go-pack-go!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The only problem I see with using high draft picks on "more weapons for Rodgers" is neglecting the glaring needs on Defense, DL and ILB and soon to be OLB. We can only put so many WR's and TE's on the field at a time. When your ILB's are named "Barrington, Ryan, Thomas and Bradford", you need to fix that before adding more weapons for Rodgers, IMO.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem I see with using high draft picks on "more weapons for Rodgers" is neglecting the glaring needs on Defense, DL and ILB and soon to be OLB. We can only put so many WR's and TE's on the field at a time. When your ILB's are named "Barrington, Ryan, Thomas and Bradford", you need to fix that before adding more weapons for Rodgers, IMO.

The Horn-Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
absolutely...thats why i like the idea of trading down for more pics...get the defensive players first...then apply some offensive depth...

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
absolutely...thats why i like the idea of trading down for more pics...get the defensive players first...then apply some offensive depth...
But you still only have 52 spots on Sunday, I'm certainly not saying your wrong......that is how TT built this team. I just think we are deep at most positions and think this year we might actually go in the other direction, like how we got Clay Mathews.

D

Deleted member 6794

whats wrong w/more pics?...specially if we only drop a few spots...still get the man teddy wants and possibly more...ie/an extra d-lineman and/or linebacker/te/rb/wr/etc...lets face it...we need quality depth at linebacker, d-line, and o-line....plus, you can always use the extra pics to: a/ trade back up or b/ trade for a player or pics next year...teddy believes in the draft...in teddy we must trust! we could trade down and still get a vernon butler or chris jones & a tightend?! anyway, i'm not here to argue; i just honestly believe it would be in our best interest, if players we need/want are still there late in the first & early in the second! Can't wait until thursday night....go-pack-go...

If there´s either an impact player at a position of need (DL, ILB) or a clear cut best player available (possibly Coleman or Doctson) there´s absolutely no reason to trade back.

Montgomery isn´t a polished route runner and doesn´t have the diverse route tree needed to play outside. In addition he has questionable hands, his catch radius is smaller than desired and he has troubles tracking deep balls. He´s a weapon in the slot though and that´s where the Packers should play him.

Can we move up four spots for a 4th to steal a player we really want??? Im not as optimistic about that. Id expect to pay a 3rd. And thats what i would want in trade at least for seone to come up and basicly steal one of those wrs at #27

Once again, here´s a link to the widely used draft trade chart, you can figure out on your own what it would take to make trades happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

As long as there´s an impact player at inside linebacker or the defensive line on the board at #27 there´s no reason to draft a receiver. Coleman or Doctson could be a nice steal if positions of need can´t be adequately addressed at that spot though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts