if coleman or doctson slips to 27.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say the best wrs slip to us? Im not convinced drafting one would be wise. Our wrs will bounce back big this year imo. You really have to look at the situation with our wrs in 2015 pessimisticly to think there is room for a 1st round wr on this team...

But what about a trade back with a team who really needs a wr? Coleman or doctson slips to 27 and its great value! We could cash in if say the rams, wanted a wr for their new franchise qb...
Any other teams come to mind?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey Coleman. In fact, if no other player is on the board that really pops at TT and MM, I hope we draft Coleman if Coleman is there at 27. I have a feeling he might have an Odell Beckham kind of impact.

Coleman is the only WR in this draft that I am 100% confident in taking the tops off of defenses. You can say Fuller from ND too, but watch Coleman's tape. The dude is a straight up play maker with scary speed and eye-hand coordination.

Coleman reminds me of Torry Holt. Remember him? He also reminds me a little bit of Steve Smith because Coleman has that same kind of competitiveness and aggression on the field. So hes cross between Torry Holt and Steve Smith (to me anyway) - And I've seen a lot of Coleman's games because I live 20 minutes outside of Waco (which is where Baylor is located at) here in Texas.

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of trading back but what would the Rams offer us as in picks? 2025 1st rounder? Lol

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of trading back but what would the Rams offer us as in picks? 2025 1st rounder? Lol
Yea I got that backwards in my head... thinking they were the ones with a pile of picks.
Tennessee. Do the Titans need a WR for Mariota?
I like the pro-Coleman drafting debate. But in my opinion, we have what we need at WR. Other teams are very weak at the position. Id say Detroit maybe, after losing megatron, but I know that's not happening. But anyways. Id rather get two good picks for 1 slightly better pick. Even if that slightly better pick is good enough to start at WR for us. Which would push Adams and Montgomery off the field, and Janis, Abbey off the team...

Now we add the desperation effect , of a team that needs a WR, and has a thing for Coleman?

Asking price is two 2nd rounders. imo

D

Deleted member 6794

Say the best wrs slip to us? Im not convinced drafting one would be wise. Our wrs will bounce back big this year imo. You really have to look at the situation with our wrs in 2015 pessimisticly to think there is room for a 1st round wr on this team...

But what about a trade back with a team who really needs a wr? Coleman or doctson slips to 27 and its great value! We could cash in if say the rams, wanted a wr for their new franchise qb...
Any other teams come to mind?

I would be fine with drafting Coleman or Doctson at #27 if Ragland is off the board. Both of these guys could end up as the Packers #1 receiver down the road.

Yea I got that backwards in my head... thinking they were the ones with a pile of picks.
Tennessee. Do the Titans need a WR for Mariota?
I like the pro-Coleman drafting debate. But in my opinion, we have what we need at WR. Other teams are very weak at the position. Id say Detroit maybe, after losing megatron, but I know that's not happening. But anyways. Id rather get two good picks for 1 slightly better pick. Even if that slightly better pick is good enough to start at WR for us. Which would push Adams and Montgomery off the field, and Janis, Abbey off the team...

Now we add the desperation effect , of a team that needs a WR, and has a thing for Coleman?

Asking price is two 2nd rounders. imo

Currently the Titans and the Patriots are the only teams with at least two second round picks. Tennessee won´t give up two of their selections (#33, #43, #45) to move up to #27. On the other hand the Packers shouldn´t be interested in acquiring New England´s two picks (#60, #61).

If the Packers decide to trade back into the early second round the most likely scenario would be to get a second and third rounder in return.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with drafting Coleman or Doctson at #27 if Ragland is off the board. Both of these guys could end up as the Packers #1 receiver down the road.

I agree 100%. Outside of Jordy, do we have a WR that has "#1 WR potential"? That is a good question. Monty strikes me as a utility kind of guy that will always be playing everywhere on the field. Cobb is a slot guy. Janis? Who knows there. Abby is a big nope and I don't think Adams is either.

I do see #1 WR potential in both Coleman and Doctson though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Outside of Jordy, do we have a WR that has "#1 WR potential"? That is a good question.

Last season should serve as evidence that aside of Nelson the Packers don´t have another #1 receiver on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I would like to see another WR to compliment Jordy, I don't see TT drafting either of these guys. If he did, that would basically be giving up on Adams as well as taking snaps away from Montgomery, something I can't see TT doing. I have been outspoken on how much I think our group of WR's are over rated, but I am content with Jordy, Cobb and whoever proves himself to be the best #3. Too many needs on the defense right now to use our #1 on a WR. If Doctson or Coleman are there at #27 and TT can trade back, still get a top defensive guy and an extra pick in the process, wait until a later round if you aren't fully confident in our existing group.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic if either fell but Doctson would be the guy for me. He catches pretty much everything thrown his way and he's got size over Coleman (keep in mind that I'm basically splitting hairs on the size thing which I think is vastly overrated for any receiver 5'10" or above). Coleman is awesome but has too many concentration lapses on his catches and that tends to be something that can improve slightly in the NFL but never really goes away.

I would take a dlineman over pretty much any other position that fell to the Packers but those two receivers are guys I would take over any dlineman that looks likely to fall to the Packers (except Chris Jones).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would like to see another WR to compliment Jordy, I don't see TT drafting either of these guys. If he did, that would basically be giving up on Adams as well as taking snaps away from Montgomery, something I can't see TT doing. I have been outspoken on how much I think our group of WR's are over rated, but I am content with Jordy, Cobb and whoever proves himself to be the best #3. Too many needs on the defense right now to use our #1 on a WR. If Doctson or Coleman are there at #27 and TT can trade back, still get a top defensive guy and an extra pick in the process, wait until a later round if you aren't fully confident in our existing group.

It's the NFL and guys get hurt, that's why it almost always makes sense to just take great talent when available. Either one of those guys has more upside than Montgomery and Nelson isn't exactly a long term answer at WR and it's apparent the Packers need a #1 guy like Nelson to open up the offense since the coaches don't believe in the kinds of routes that teams like the Pats use to help receivers. That being said, I would be stunned if the Packers draft either one because, as you say, there should be numerous teams willing to trade up and take one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
.....it almost always makes sense to just take great talent when available.
I agree. This is why Aaron Rodgers is currently a Packer. While taking either WR with our 27th pick wouldn't be a terrible move from a personnel standpoint, from a team stand point, I think it would be a luxury pick that potentially shorts the defense from getting a much needed player. That being said, if TT is confident in his current defense as well as fortifying it with his second, third and later round picks, coupled with a lack of confidence in his current WR group, I see the pick making sense.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know any of these guys enough to know what round they should be selected in. Some of the best defensive linemen we've had were not 1st rounders in Jenkins and Daniels. I'd love to find Reggie White too, but I'll settle on a couple guys like Jenkins and Daniels. Any round. I don't care, but I'll take 2 :) don't even care if neither are 350lb NT either at this point. and ILB, get me 2 of those too, again, don't care when and I'd be just fine and happy with a couple with young AJ Hawk talent level too. If they can get those guys later, and the next 1500 yard 15TD 100+ reception receiver is in the first, then i'm happy taking him too.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may not have a true #1 guy behind Jordy, but I don't think you draft a guy in the first on this reasoning. We need a starting DL and or LB. We very well may draft a WR, but it should be a later round( looking for that lighting in a bottle guy) hope he is great, but more of a chance. We have Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Ty, Jeff J, JA, and I'm guessing a practice squad guy or two.
I'd love to find a few studs on defense, and a good OL.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that if players at different positions within the top tier are available at #27 the Packers shouldn't select a wide receiver. If either Coleman or Doctson drop that far it's likely both of them are the best players available and in that case Thompson should pull the trigger on either of them.

We may not have a true #1 guy behind Jordy, but I don't think you draft a guy in the first on this reasoning. We need a starting DL and or LB. We very well may draft a WR, but it should be a later round( looking for that lighting in a bottle guy) hope he is great, but more of a chance. We have Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Ty, Jeff J, JA, and I'm guessing a practice squad guy or two.
I'd love to find a few studs on defense, and a good OL.

Once again, if a receiver is the clear cut best player available it's smart to draft him even if it's not a position of need.

Reaction score
I agree. We drastically need to shore up the middle of our D and with BJs temporary departure? We have to be seriously thinking DT or LB even more. I understand the TT philosophy of best talent available but would we take another QB if one slipped? I think not.
I like the idea of another WR..but I think we would be premature in our year to year progression spending a pic at WR with several already in early development (losing JJ showed me the direction we are taking). Keep in mind there is an outside chance these players slip into later rounds so a late second day pick?..Absolutely
Ideally we go the 1-2 draft punch at Our D core and take these double teams off Clay so he can get back to reaping havoc and making up for lost potential as inside patchwork and reiterating why Defenses win Championships
After seeing Monty in his rookie year help lead us to a 6-0 start, I'm confident his production, the increase of Cobb not playing the #1 CB and double teams and Mr Jordy being Mr deep/back shoulder threat is gonna be substantial. In addition, I think our TE production will increase because it's apparent already that it's gonna be a major focus area for us. I'd like to see TE RR used primarily as a move the chains and red zone target rather than a feature TE (except on Hail Marys! Lol)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. We drastically need to shore up the middle of our D and with BJs temporary departure? We have to be seriously thinking DT or LB even more. I understand the TT philosophy of best talent available but would we take another QB if one slipped? I think not.
I like the idea of another WR..but I think we would be premature in our year to year progression spending a pic at WR with several already in early development (losing JJ showed me the direction we are taking). Keep in mind there is an outside chance these players slip into later rounds so a late second day pick?..Absolutely

There's no doubt that if several prospects playing different positions in the top tier of the Packers draft board are available at #27 position of need (DL, ILB) ahould factor into the selection.

If there's truly a best player available, being a tier above everyone else, Thompson has to pull the trigger on him though regardless of position. Obviously if the BPA happens to be a QB that's the only position TT has to pass on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously if the BPA happens to be a QB that's the only position TT has to pass on.
I wouldn't be excited about a CB drafted high either. If the reported defensive depth of this draft turns out to be true, its not too bad of a year for the Packers to be picking #27. I'm optimistic that TT will still have an ample group of guys on his first round Tier to choose from when its time to pick. That situation might allow him to either try and trade back a few slots and still grab a bona fide 1st rounder that fills a need. Or just straight up pick at #27 a BPA that fills a need.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine if the Packers decided to draft Jackson in the first (assuming Hargreaves, ramsey and Alexander are all gone). Outside of QB and maybe the offensive tackles, there isn't a position on an NFL team that you can really "count" on as being all set. Just too many injuries. Worst case is that you prove you have too many and you trade one for a draft pick or another player. Generally speaking, take the better player regardless of position. Obviously if you two players rated similarly then you draft the player at the position of greater need but you certainly shouldn't be taking lesser players just because you think you have enough at a certain position.

Nobody thought the Packers would need a receiver last season but one play and suddenly a position of strength ends up dragging the team down all season. Same thing could happen at corner...Shields has missed time before (knock on wood) and one play could see the Packers starting Randall and Rollins with Gunter or Hyde playing significant time as the nickel back (not ideal since Hyde is more of a safety hybrid and Gunter is still kind of raw). I'm not saying the Packers are thin at WR or CB but that in the NFL there really isn't a position that's "set".

To reiterate though, I think the Packers need a dlineman or Ragland in the first round more than any other position that's likely to be available.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for Coleman as he has things the Packers WRs lack- speed, explosiveness, ability to beat press coverage. Doctson seems to be too much of an uncertainty to me. Passing on Treadwell makes me think of 2013 when we had a chance at Hopkins, though. Didn't seem like a mistake at the time, but it sure would have been the right choice.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Hopkins pass-up is why I believe if Coleman is there, TT pulls the trigger unless Ragland or a stud DT is there too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I personally don't see TT looking back at the 2013 draft and saying to himself "We messed up and picked Datone Jones, when we could have had DeAndre Hopkins, can't repeat that, better grab Coleman". Sure, using hindsight 3 years later, Hopkins would have turned out to be the better pick, but you can play that game with just about every draft pick after a few years. TT could have also picked Cordell Peterson or Sylvester Williams instead of Jones. Will Coleman be the next Hopkins, Peterson or Williams? We really don't know at this point.

I know it makes for fun conversation, "would have, could have, should have", but I doubt it's the compass that guides TT's draft day decisions.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I look at it as learning from past mistakes. I'm sure if TT could have a do over, he'd pick Hopkins instead (ie if he knew what he does now back then) - But yeah, that is just a conversation piece in a fantasy world.