Hypothetical Rodgers trade with the Raiders

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers won't budge; does he have a no trade clause? Can he veto a trade?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is likely to be traded after June 1st I bet Green Bay is thinking if they can get as much salary cap and weapons for a qb on a rookie salary and he turns out they have a window there.
Assuming they can't work things out with Rodgers, which I'm not ready to rule out yet:
I'm sure that's their thought. Question is, if we trade Rodgers, how many years is he going to be showing up on our salary cap?

I know this has been discussed before, but full disclosure I wasn't paying attention. I seem to recall it was kinda bad for the next couple of years and then it fades out.

Reaction score
Love isn't less valuable as quarterbacks coming out of college but the difference being that NFL teams already decided he wasn't worth of being selected in the top 25 last year.
. Every year are new challenges as far as position needs.
Just because a QB goes #26 overall last year doesn’t mean he would be the same value each year. In some drafts Love is a top #15 overall QB , whereas in other drafts he’s a late day 2 selection. The market value varies but QBs are still the most overall valued position season to season. That doesn’t change and so Loves rise or fall over the course of 1 year is stable. He’s likely not generating a top 15 selection.. but also unlikely he’d fall outside top 50

Just to be clear, I don't consider Love being in the Packers' system for a year not as a negative at all. I just don't agree with several posters around here that other teams, which passed on drafting him in last year's draft, would now line up to trade for him while giving up a first rounder in return.
That makes sense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone around here said no. But he could always "retire" until he gets his way.
Yes he could. But I believe he would owe GB a lot of money. And that would just be the money he has already taken. There might also be breach of contract and how it has affected revenues for the GBP. Could be much more money than just what he actually owes. imo

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he could. But I believe he would owe GB a lot of money. And that would just be the money he has already taken. There might also be breach of contract and how it has affected revenues for the GBP. Could be much more money than just what he actually owes. imo

No way...no player has ever been sued for I guess your saying loss of future projected earnings. And that trend won't start with Rodgers. By that logic players could sue teams for cutting them before the end of their contracts

Also I highly doubt they would ask him to repay bonus money. As they would probably want to hold out hope of a reconciliation, like with Favre, at some point...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Rodgers does not want to retire. But in any case, he can't just walk away and say thanx for the memories. Just too much money involved imho. So of course that money, prorated, would belong to The Pack. Any trade would involve taking it into consideration. I guess balanced against prorated bonuses from any players the Packers might get in a trade. I would prefer a reconciliation, but not if the cost is detrimental to our future. I liked the way Gute had set things up. Evidently Rodgers does not. I also like the way LaFleur has handled the football team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way...no player has ever been sued for I guess your saying loss of future projected earnings. And that trend won't start with Rodgers. By that logic players could sue teams for cutting them before the end of their contracts

Also I highly doubt they would ask him to repay bonus money. As they would probably want to hold out hope of a reconciliation, like with Favre, at some point...
There is no players contract that has a "no cut" clause.

No contract, however, allows for a player to hold out. If a player holds out they are in breach and are open to being sued. No NFL team would ever do that, especially to a star like Rodgers as it would be detrimental to player/team/fan relations.

If a player is cut, it is within the parameters of the contract. Only the guaranteed portion would still need to be paid.

Members online

Latest posts