How to handle Lacy

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lacy will now have motivation knowing what mont can do in the back. this potential deadly duo will put fear in defenses while having our passing game in rods hands. they relied heavily on lacy. something tells me that lacy knew starks was regressing and just didn't have the motivation to get all the runs done by himself. that pressure is now shared among mont. hopefully we keep lacy and see what these two are capable of doing.
mont will give him the push he needs.... a spark that makes lacy's engine run on all cylinders and he has fun running the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

lacy will now have motivation knowing what mont can do in the back.

I highly doubt Lacy will stay motivated to keep his weight in check by the emergence of Montgomery as even a contract year wasn't able to do the trick for him either.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I highly doubt Lacy will stay motivated to keep his weight in check by the emergence of Montgomery as even a contract year wasn't able to do the trick for him either.

He`s hardly going to be too worried where his next paycheck is coming from.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked great on the field last year until the injury. I dont know where the dislike comes from...
After hearing all this stuff from gb and the fans... Id be looking to prove myself somewhere else...
Basicly screw all you disrespectful people.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Lacy showed motivation last year, his contract year, maybe just not enough. He did get himself into playing shape, but lost sight of that at some point and appeared to regain weight. But to say he wasn't having a good season would be wearing blinders, his numbers were pretty good before the injury. Some want to blame the injury on his extra weight, but I would also put some of that blame on the Packers for not having an effective 2nd RB or even a 3rd running back and over relying on Lacy when his ankle was already giving him problems. I also get tired of hearing people say "Lacy is so out of shape that he can't be relied on to be out there all the time." How many backs in the NFL and even college, with his pounding running style are 3 down backs for a full game? Teams are platooning RB's in and out all the time now, keeps them fresh and not so winded. I don't ever expect Lacy to be a 25+ carry guy. Could Lacy loose some weight, maintain that weight and improve his conditioning to be an even better back? Of course he can and should, if he wants more money. But right now, the Packers are faced with the decision of do they want a guy that has a hell of a lot of potential and is working on his motivation, at a pretty low price or do they take their chances with Monty and whoever else they can assemble behind him?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's probably 273 right now, plus or minus a dozen cheeseburgers and a 12-pack of brewskis. I don't trust him. He's got Rajitis imo. I wouldn't count on him. I'd draft and look at free agents with the intent of replacing him. If they sign him to an incentive laced contract, you still need to draft a RB this year to replace him in 18 no matter what his 17 results are. Guys like that foul up the planning process because of their unreliability.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think Lacy showed motivation last year, his contract year, maybe just not enough. He did get himself into playing shape, but lost sight of that at some point and appeared to regain weight. But to say he wasn't having a good season would be wearing blinders, his numbers were pretty good before the injury. Some want to blame the injury on his extra weight, but I would also put some of that blame on the Packers for not having an effective 2nd RB or even a 3rd running back and over relying on Lacy when his ankle was already giving him problems. I also get tired of hearing people say "Lacy is so out of shape that he can't be relied on to be out there all the time." How many backs in the NFL and even college, with his pounding running style are 3 down backs for a full game? Teams are platooning RB's in and out all the time now, keeps them fresh and not so winded. I don't ever expect Lacy to be a 25+ carry guy. Could Lacy loose some weight, maintain that weight and improve his conditioning to be an even better back? Of course he can and should, if he wants more money. But right now, the Packers are faced with the decision of do they want a guy that has a hell of a lot of potential and is working on his motivation, at a pretty low price or do they take their chances with Monty and whoever else they can assemble behind him?

Has anyone said he wasn't having a good season?

I would point out that no one, including the Packers, expected Lacy to be a 25+ carry guy. Before getting hurt, the most he had in a game in 2016 was 17, and the most total touches in a game was 18. He was averaging about 14.

But the reality is that he's consistently struggled to keep his weight down, and that playing overweight makes a guy more likely to get hurt. So if they want to give him a prove it contract to try and capitalize on his talent for another year, fine. But there are absolutely valid concerns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Has anyone said he wasn't having a good season?

I would point out that no one, including the Packers, expected Lacy to be a 25+ carry guy. Before getting hurt, the most he had in a game in 2016 was 17, and the most total touches in a game was 18. He was averaging about 14.

But the reality is that he's consistently struggled to keep his weight down, and that playing overweight makes a guy more likely to get hurt. So if they want to give him a prove it contract to try and capitalize on his talent for another year, fine. But there are absolutely valid concerns.

I have never once said that there shouldn't be concerns about Lacy and his conditioning. But yes, there were people in this forum, stating he was fat, out of shape, couldn't finish a run and his weight was the reason for his ankle injury. Statistically, he was having a good 2016 and for those blaming his season ending ankle injury strictly on his weight gain, I was merely pointing out that I don't feel that was the only factor.

My desire to see Lacy back is motivated by the following:
  1. Packers current state at RB. Monty and that is it. Crockett is an ERFA and Michael is a UFA. If people don't have some concerns about Monty, they should.
  2. The Possibility of signing Lacy at a low price, no guaranteed contract. Not interested in him otherwise.
  3. The mess we saw in 2016 at the position. Lacy goes down, Packers scramble to find a replacement.
  4. The potential upside of Lacy and knowing where he is in that progress early enough (August) to shape your roster.
I am not advocating to sign Lacy and then be content. The Packers still should draft a RB mid round and do their usual vetting of UDFA's. I just don't see why you wouldn't sign a guy right now, that could potentially be a big contributor at a the low no guaranteed contract. Only way I don't sign him if I am TT is if there is no hope for him getting into shape, his price is too high or TT would prefer the potential compensatory pick by letting him walk.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

He looked great on the field last year until the injury. I dont know where the dislike comes from...
After hearing all this stuff from gb and the fans... Id be looking to prove myself somewhere else...
Basicly screw all you disrespectful people.

Why is it so wrong to criticise a player who has clearly under produced ? I'm not picking an argument here but I can't get why it is not acceptable. I know I've used the point before but if you were not doing what you were being paid to do, and I've admired your work believe me, but you'd lose your contracts and end up on the seat of your pants. My point being he is VERY well paid to do a job he supposedly loves. So do it well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have never once said that there shouldn't be concerns about Lacy and his conditioning. But yes, there were people in this forum, stating he was fat, out of shape, couldn't finish a run and his weight was the reason for his ankle injury. Statistically, he was having a good 2016 and for those blaming his season ending ankle injury strictly on his weight gain, I was merely pointing out that I don't feel that was the only factor.

My desire to see Lacy back is motivated by the following:
  1. Packers current state at RB. Monty and that is it. Crockett is an ERFA and Michael is a UFA. If people don't have some concerns about Monty, they should.
  2. The Possibility of signing Lacy at a low price, no guaranteed contract. Not interested in him otherwise.
  3. The mess we saw in 2016 at the position. Lacy goes down, Packers scramble to find a replacement.
  4. The potential upside of Lacy and knowing where he is in that progress early enough (August) to shape your roster.
I am not advocating to sign Lacy and then be content. The Packers still should draft a RB mid round and do their usual vetting of UDFA's. I just don't see why you wouldn't sign a guy right now, that could potentially be a big contributor at a the low no guaranteed contract. Only way I don't sign him if I am TT is if there is no hope for him getting into shape, his price is too high or TT would prefer the potential compensatory pick by letting him walk.

Huh. I've seen those accusations about Lacy regarding his 2015 performance, where his play really did seem hampered by his weight, but most of what I've seen about 2016 was rightly complimentary.

That's fine if you feel like the weight wasn't the only factor in his injury. It probably wasn't. His running style is also an issue. But overuse was not a factor. He was only averaging 14 carries a game when he went down, which was 21st in the NFL. That's not a lot of work.

I totally get the logic of bringing him back cheap on a "prove it" contract. I'd be fine with that. But I would just point out that while you look at what happened last year as reason to bring him back, it can also be seen as reason not to.

The Packers found themselves in a mess because Lacy, "Plan A," went down and then all the backups get hurt and/or underperformed. So one could argue that to bring him back as "Plan A" again, with his weight increasing his risk of getting injured, is just asking to be left scrambling for backup options once again. The team can mitigate that risk by drafting more depth. But they could also mitigate that risk by letting him leave and coming up with a new "Plan A" in the draft. The position he plays is uniquely suited to do that, as good running backs tend to be easy to find and the transition is arguably easier than at any other position.

If they keep him on a cheap deal and then draft a mid round back, I'll be good with it and will hope that he stays healthy. But if they choose to move on, I totally get that. There is credence to both sides.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those rumors if they come to fruition, are why I think Lacy is worth the risk of resigning. Again though, will TT be willing to assume that risk and give up a potential compensatory pick in the process?

If the numbers for Lacy are close to accurate I don't see much in the way of a comp pick if he does leave. On the other hand if he comes in and does great and leaves next season for an even bigger contract Ted might even get a higher comp pick. I think that would be a more likely scenario and that would make him an even better risk to resign.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers found themselves in a mess because Lacy, "Plan A," went down and then all the backups get hurt and/or underperformed. So one could argue that to bring him back as "Plan A" again, with his weight increasing his risk of getting injured, is just asking to be left scrambling for backup options once again. The team can mitigate that risk by drafting more depth. But they could also mitigate that risk by letting him leave and coming up with a new "Plan A" in the draft. The position he plays is uniquely suited to do that, as good running backs tend to be easy to find and the transition is arguably easier than at any other position.

If they keep him on a cheap deal and then draft a mid round back, I'll be good with it and will hope that he stays healthy. But if they choose to move on, I totally get that. There is credence to both sides.

I know its hard to keep track of everyone's posts and their logic. But I wouldn't want to see Lacy being "Plan A" this year, whatsoever. No matter what they do with Lacy, I see the need for a mid round draft pick on RB and I have said that all along. If they don't sign Lacy, I hope they sign a mid tier FA RB to go along with Monty and a rookie. Also, remember, 2017 could be different from 2016 in that they have Monty and not Starks. While Monty could get injured or not be the RB some hope he will be, at this point, he is a better option than what Starks turned out to be.

Lacy isn't Plan A nor a Plan B.....he is just another RB that IMO should be considered to fill out a solid group of 3, not 2 like they tried to go with in 2016. Without him or a FA, your plan A is Monty, a rookie and whoever else. I consider that more risky, because chances are, that "someone else" could probably sit on the PS, as our plan D.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the numbers for Lacy are close to accurate I don't see much in the way of a comp pick if he does leave. On the other hand if he comes in and does great and leaves next season for an even bigger contract Ted might even get a higher comp pick. I think that would be a more likely scenario and that would make him an even better risk to resign.

Excellent point, even better than the one on the top of my head. ;)

Of course, if Lacy somehow does have a spectacular 2017, the Packers are going to resign him LOL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know its hard to keep track of everyone's posts and their logic. But I wouldn't want to see Lacy being "Plan A" this year, whatsoever. No matter what they do with Lacy, I see the need for a mid round draft pick on RB and I have said that all along. If they don't sign Lacy, I hope they sign a mid tier FA RB to go along with Monty and a rookie. Also, remember, 2017 could be different from 2016 in that they have Monty and not Starks. While Monty could get injured or not be the RB some hope he will be, at this point, he is a better option than what Starks turned out to be.

Lacy isn't Plan A nor a Plan B.....he is just another RB that IMO should be considered to fill out a solid group of 3, not 2 like they tried to go with in 2016. Without him or a FA, your plan A is Monty, a rookie and whoever else. I consider that more risky, because chances are, that "someone else" could probably sit on the PS, as our plan D.

I see your logic. I'll be good with it either way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy's future is completely in his control. I'm not opposed to bringing him back by any means, unless of course he can't commit to himself or the game of football. Because he'll always be a "could have been". If they feel he's committed and has made changes, then by all means, let him prove it.

But if it means taking him on at 260+, no thanks. I don't care what his stats are because it will be the same. Teams won't care about our rushing attack because after 3 carries he'll be on the sideline for a breather and someone else will have to finish the drive for us. If he wants to commit back and 240, sign him up. He could be a really special back for us.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As much as no one want to hear it I think if we do resign Lacy it will be Ted's intention to go with him as his plan "A" By that I mean he will look at Lacy as his primary back for next season. I'm OK with that as long as Ted is confident that Lacy is up to the task. I'm not saying that in a way that indicates I blindly trust Ted but rather in a way that says I don't think Ted will resign him if he doesn't think he can be the primary back or at least a 1 as in 1A and 1B type setup. If Ted brings him in on a prove it type deal he will get a chance to prove it. That said I agree with Poker in that we have to have a better backup plan than we had last year.

Right now we know one thing about our running back situation. Ty Montgomery will either be our #1 or #2 back next year. That means we need at least 2 more to complete the roster (we can't go with just 2 this year, we just can't) That means two from a rookie, Lacy, Crockett, Michael or another FA will be needed. Since Bell is out of the question Crowell, Gillslee, and Thompson from Washington are the only ones that might interest me but they are all restricted. Michael is a "meh" type of guy to me as is Crockett. I'd be OK with either as the 3rd back but I'd be fine without them as well. That leaves Lacy and a rookie as the two most appealing options to me and that is only if Lacy's deal comes with low or no guarantees and some incentives.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As much as no one want to hear it I think if we do resign Lacy it will be Ted's intention to go with him as his plan "A" By that I mean he will look at Lacy as his primary back for next season. I'm OK with that as long as Ted is confident that Lacy is up to the task. I'm not saying that in a way that indicates I blindly trust Ted but rather in a way that says I don't think Ted will resign him if he doesn't think he can be the primary back or at least a 1 as in 1A and 1B type setup. That said I agree with Poker in that we have to have a better backup plan than we had last year.

Right now we know one thing about our running back situation. Ty Montgomery will either be our #1 or #2 back next year. That means we need at least 2 more to complete the roster (we can't go with just 2 this year, we just can't) That means two from a rookie, Lacy, Crockett, Michael or another FA will be needed. Since Bell is out of the question Crowell, Gillslee, and Thompson from Washington are the only ones that might interest me but they are all restricted. Michael is a "meh" type of guy to me as is Crockett. I'd be OK with either as the 3rd back but I'd be fine without them as well. That leaves Lacy and a rookie as the two most appealing options to me and that is only if Lacy's deal comes with low or no guarantees and some incentives.

Someone is getting my thought process. LOL

However, I don't think TT really needs to decide if Lacy is the #1 back until Lacy proves he is. As long as the Packers don't' give him much guaranteed money, you cut him if he doesn't live up to his end of the weight and conditioning. You really haven't lost much, other than pursuing a FA in March, which Ted won't do anyway.

As you pointed out and I have been trying to, Lacy is nothing more than an option for one of 3 backs that should end up on the 53 man roster.

Reaction score
What intrigues me about Monty is his ability to be a receiver out of the backfield and he took to the RB position like a fish to H2O.
Im not 100% opposed to Eddie under the right deal structure, but I also must admit, I'd be excited to see us go after a dynamic RB somewhere early to mid draft. One who is formidable in the passing game as a receiver and blocker.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it so wrong to criticise a player who has clearly under produced ? I'm not picking an argument here but I can't get why it is not acceptable. I know I've used the point before but if you were not doing what you were being paid to do, and I've admired your work believe me, but you'd lose your contracts and end up on the seat of your pants. My point being he is VERY well paid to do a job he supposedly loves. So do it well.
First. If it wasnt brought up, i never would have even noticed his weight. Its imo a non factor, and shouldnt have even been brought up... The negative energy is draining... Any self respecting person would expect a certain amount of respect after they worked and sacrificed their body for a cause for 4 years. Only to be outright f#!@ with and harassed?
If he wasnt trying. I sure didnt see it.
Now say something about randall, and see if i come running in defense... I might remind everyone to reserve judgement, but i wont defend his play. He finished the season like mathews. A shadow... But lacy? He is a stud...
I have been wanting a rb like him since steven jacksons hey day. Now we got him and we push him out the door... Its a bogus game plan. Rajiitis is right. We ran that stud off the same exact way.

Someone mentioned we dont have a #2 or #3 last year (worth a deuce). Monty emerged.... We finally have a legit duo to add a legit rookie to....

And we think 2 mil /1 yr is going to get it done???

What did tt offer lynch again??? Right before he went to seattle and carried THEM to dominance?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How is the weight a non factor? The guy ballooned up over 260. That is crazy. Even after losing some in the offseason, he started gaining it right back. He has ankle issues. Excess weight puts excess strain on joints. Excess strain on susceptible joints leads to injured joints.

Members online

Latest posts